Post-Game Talk: Wings@Sens

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
TBH I'd be surprised if they ever give Claesson a shot. He's 6ft and seems to move the puck pretty well judging from his AHL stats, so they'll trade him for a rental at the deadline or keep him in Bingo until he leaves.

They could probably improve the team a lot RIGHT NOW by moving Cowen + for a winger or RD and calling up Claesson, but I'm not optimistic. Murray and Mac just don't seem like they are willing to have 3 smallish puck movers on the roster

LynxBud

Nov 27, 2013
Gloucester
Oof, glad I missed this game. Looks like Cowen had another stinker.

Cowen sucks, period. I've had a hate on for him ever since the contract negotiations that lasted months, so I'm a little biased now.
Just seeing that Cowen free agent thread at the top of these boards for months was driving me nuts. Was hoping the team would part ways with him.

Welp, I've lost whatever hope I had left to see the Senators in the playoffs.
Man, were we ever spoiled during the Olympics. Loved cheering on such a competent team.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Anyone hear the hilarious comments by Franzen post game. Called Neil a post game hero, essentially. Guy's a true player. Alfredsson must be laughing his ass off at this "team".

OTTAWA – The last time Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen got hit in the face he missed 22 of the next 23 games with a concussion.

So when Ottawa Senators tough guy Chris Neil ripped off Franzen’s helmet in a fit of rage and began roughing him up during the third period Thursday, the results could have been disastrous for a player the Red Wings desperately need in their playoff push.

But Franzen, who notched his third career hat trick in a 6-1 victory at the Canadian Tire Centre, emerged unscathed -- and then took a few shots of his own.

“He usually shows up when the game’s over and tries to be the hero, puts his cape on and goes and flies out there,” Franzen said of Neil. “He doesn’t like to take heat from fans and coaches, I think. He usually steps up when the game is over and shows everyone that he really fights hard.”

Franzen was laughing at Neil when he was trying to engage him in a fight. Franzen said he doesn’t know what set off Neil, though it typically doesn’t take much. Neil was penalized for roughing and unsportsmanlike conduct. Both received 10 minute misconducts, ending their night.

Franzen anticipated trouble with Neil late in the game.

“I thought so, when (Senators coach Paul MacLean) puts him out there,” Franzen said. “He tried to high-stick me after the draw right away and then he came after me, so I tried to stay close to him … if he was going to run me into anything. But he decided to rip the helmet off and hit me in the face.”

Franzen suffered a concussion on Dec. 15 when Tampa Bay’s Radko Gudas hit him in the face during a battle for the puck.

“It’s probably not the best thing to do, getting hit in the face,” Franzen said. “Maybe the ref can stop that before it happens, I don’t know. They (officials) didn’t seem to (care) that they put him out there and he tried to start things.

“He hit me once, but then the ref came in.”

Red Wings coach Mike Babcock declined to comment on Neil’s antics.

Detroit defenseman Niklas Kronwall said, “I didn’t see what led up to it, but you could definitely feel something was going to happen.”

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/02/red_wings_johan_franzen_fires.html

SenatorArmy*

Don't want guys going after you? Don't take cheap shots when you're making a line change

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Yeah, BM better stop acting like their dad and pull the trigger. Make an example out of Phillips, Neil and or Spezza. Send a message.
I agree that BM should make a statement, but his revolving door of players since his rebuild is exactly what you are asking him to do again. :shakehead

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Havent seen Claesson play in a while but he reminds me a bit of Gunnarsson in the way that he can play at a high level because he keeps his own play withing his own skill limits. Smart, skilled enough and a strong mindset. Gunnarsson is 1st pairing guy in Toronto, just cuz he is very smart and have enough skill to use that smartness. Claesson could be the same for Ottawa if they chose to give him the chance.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Havent seen Claesson play in a while but he reminds me a bit of Gunnarsson in the way that he can play at a high level because he keeps his own play withing his own skill limits. Smart, skilled enough and a strong mindset. Gunnarsson is 1st pairing guy in Toronto, just cuz he is very smart and have enough skill to use that smartness. Claesson could be the same for Ottawa if they chose to give him the chance.

Na, were past our Swede faze now. Were happy with Karlsson, not so sure about Lehner!!!!! :sarcasm:

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Franzen is a ***** and Neils comments were spot on.

Ken Warren ‏@Citizenkwarren said:
Neil on Franzen comments:"I will take my cape off whenever he takes the yellow streak off the middle of his back." More later.

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
Funny cause I sure remember when Franzen wore a cape last time we played in Detroit and had one of the most embarassing dives I've ever seen. Even wing fans were saying Franzen sometimes dives and called him out on that particular moment. Pot calling the kettle black if you ask me.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Bryan Murray ****ed up his rebuild.

- Gives away a top 10 pick this year... Maybe even top five.
- Spezza, Ryan, Mcarthur, Methot and Anderson a year away from UFA

Disaster

You can't resign them until 1 year out. (July 1st)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Wow, looks like we should be down several posters any day now.

For the love of God, take a break before being a fan takes away your will to live!

Berserker*

“I’m there first shift and any shift he wants,†said Neil. “He wants to drop his purse, take the lipstick out, put it on his lips and ‘Let’s go.’ Anytime. Any day. Anywhere.

“I’m 6-foot-1, 215 lbs. He’s 6-foot-4, 240 lbs. I’m giving up height. I’m giving up weight. I’m not scared of him. Bring it on.â€

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/02/28/ottawa-senators-tough-guy-chris-neil-calls-out-detroit-red-wings-forward-johan-franzen?token=54f9b23b7eb5b3bcaeaee30d5a591817

Franzen is a ***** lol

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Lol, just no. Neil has been doing that garbage all season. Franzen 3, Neil, no score. This isn't 2007 anymore.

I have to agree. It's pretty rare to see Neil "put the cape on" to speak, until the game is out of reach.

At the same time, Franzen was acting like a dirty little rat against us in the few games we've played against them this year. Play with fire, and you're gonna get burned. Don't cry about it after the fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I agree with Franzen.

I've yet to see Neil do anything meaningful when it actually matters. He always goes out there late and heck, he doesn't even really do anything of significance :laugh:

Who remembers what Happened to Karlsson? No response from Neil. And high hit on Spezza by Pitts, no response.

Neil is a shadow of his former self.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Rarely nowadays. I still wanna keep Neil, he is still somewhat valuable to us but Franzen was right in his assessment.

I mostly agree with that assessment in general (these days, anyway), but this specific incident grew out of Franzen's blatant slash on Methot right after a whistle, so really it was more than just "post game heroics" or whatever.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I agree with Franzen.

I've yet to see Neil do anything meaningful when it actually matters. He always goes out there late and heck, he doesn't even really do anything of significance :laugh:

Who remembers what Happened to Karlsson? No response from Neil. And high hit on Spezza by Pitts, no response.

Neil is a shadow of his former self.
That's not just on Neil though. Did anybody else do anything?

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I mostly agree with that assessment in general (these days, anyway), but this specific incident grew out of Franzen's blatant slash on Methot right after a whistle, so really it was more than just "post game heroics" or whatever.

You are right, but Methot did handle it. While Franzen and his smirk can make a pacifist want to punch his lights out, he isn't going to fight so Neil going after him later served no purpose.

Neil was invisible during his 8+ minutes, then he decides this is how he will get noticed. If there was a message to be sent, Neil didn't send it.

I am starting to believe the biggest problems the Sens have wear C A A.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Franzen thinks it’s preposterous for a fighter to challenge a skilled player.

“He thinks I’m not tough because I’m not fighting him; what does he have, like 30 fights a year? And he’s been doing that his whole career,†Franzen said. “I’ve never had a fight in my whole life.

“It’s like me asking him to get hockey sense and good hands or something. I’ve never been fighting, didn’t grow up fighting. For me it’s not a part of the game. I’m not going to fight. I’ve had enough concussions. I’m definitely not going to risk one doing something stupid like that.â€

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/03/red_wings_johan_franzen_wont_b.html

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00