Post-Game Talk: Wings@Sens

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Bryan Murray ****ed up his rebuild.

- Gives away a top 10 pick this year... Maybe even top five.
- Spezza, Ryan, Mcarthur, Methot and Anderson a year away from UFA

And Melnyk expects to contend on a budget.

Disaster

This is kinda funny considering most posters on this board were giving all the credit to Tim for the rebuild of the Senators.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
While the timing for this is perfect after last night's game, it is short sighted and quite frankly nonsense.

Hindsight is 20/20, looking back is easy there is no decision making or responsibility involved.

The Ryan trade was a good move for the Senators and if Ryan indicates he has no interest in extending in Ottawa, I am sure Murray could get equivalent value to what he paid in a trade this summer.

As far as other UFAs I believe they all will be willing to extend, hopefully Murray decides a few are no longer in the future of the team.

Precisely. I'm not worried because either way we'll either have Ryan long-term or if for some reason he does not want to stay in Ottawa then I have no doubt we'll get similar value for him at the trade deadline next year. Hell, I'd be willing to bet we get a deal done to keep him here.

For now though, I want to enjoy having a player of Ryan's calibre here. We lacked a good top line forward before the trade and now that we have one some people are upset about the fact we gave up good assets to get him. If we still had the pick we could only dream that the player we ended up with would score 30+ goals for four seasons (and likely five after this year).

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
This team has absolutely no structure and you would think that after 59 games, something would change. Why is Paul Maclean not using a timeout after the 2 or 3rd goals to settle the team and Robin Lehner down.

J. Cowen is not an NHL player at this moment and might be the worst player in the league with the puck. He can't receive or make a pass but yet he keeps playing in favour of Wiercioch when the games mean the most. His defensive positioning is horrible and does not look anything like the player that we saw two years ago. He really needs to spend time in Bingo with Luc but unfortunately he would have to clear waiver to do so. I don't want to give up on him but he can't be in our lineup playing like this.

This team is not making the playoffs this year so we should be trading any players with any kind of value for draft picks. Get rid of Phillips, Michalek, Condra, Corvo, and Greening. If Phillips wants to return as a UFA, its either as a 7th d-man or nothing.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
Anyone hear the hilarious comments by Franzen post game. Called Neil a post game hero, essentially. Guy's a true player. Alfredsson must be laughing his ass off at this "team".

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The not using a time out in a must-win game after allowing two quick goals after a good start is indeed mind-boggling

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Cowen is not an top-4 NHL defenseman yet; this is obvious to anyone.

It's not his fault. Blame Murray and MacLean for putting him in positions in which he will not succeed.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They play like a mens league team, to see the structure of all the teams in the Olympics and then watch the way 20 'professionals' behave on the ice is wild. No accountability no effort no one cares. Blow it up, I am tired of this sad sack of losers. Alfie nailed it. How is Maclean supposed to coach when his leaders are selfish and don't buy in, a 10 year veteran Spezza blind passes at the blue line.... THINK. Gut the core maybe someone will realize there job is on the line and maybe act like a pro. Get number 2 off the ice, he makes the organization look Minnie mouse. I cant believe that ****ing loser held out, I actually think he is mentally slow. He looks it, acts it, speaks like it pathetic.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
They play like a mens league team, to see the structure of all the teams in the Olympics and then watch the way 20 'professionals' behave on the ice is wild. No accountability no effort no one cares. Blow it up, gut the core I am tired of this sad sack of losers. Hows Maclean supposed to coach when his leaders are selfish and don't buy in? Gut the core maybe someone will realize there job is on the line and maybe act like a pro. Get number 2 off the ice, he makes the organization look Minnie mouse. I cant believe that ****ing loser held out, I actually think he is mentally slow. He looks it, acts it, speaks like it pathetic.

Yeah, BM better stop acting like their dad and pull the trigger. Make an example out of Phillips, Neil and or Spezza. Send a message.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Man I love Ryan, seriously a good player and don't get me wrong but why didn't we ensure our pick was a top ten protected ughh... right now we would be drafting 7th overall.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man I love Ryan, seriously a good player and don't get me wrong but why didn't we ensure our pick was a top ten protected ughh... right now we would be drafting 7th overall.

This is not a good draft year, that's why. Ryan is better than any player in this draft projects to ever be.

Worst case scenario, is that he doesn't want to re-sign and we trade him for another first rounder in the next draft, one that is projected to be much better and much deeper.

Win-win really...

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

If the pick were protected, they'd be giving up thei 2015 pick instead. Given how deep that draft is, a 15-16 pick next might be just as good as a 5-10 this year.

So I've read anyway. Im not the biggest draft guy in the world

BigBush*

It's not his fault. Blame Murray and MacLean for putting him in positions in which he will not succeed.

What are you talking about? What are they suppose to do to ensure develops and succeeds? This is all on Cowen, he is having a poor year

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

The only position he's going to succeed in is the seated position. They stuck him with Gryba and put him on the ice for 11 minutes and his coverage responsibility scored 4 times.

I'm so sick and tired of reading excuses for this guy. He has been awful for this entire season, and many of us have been saying it before the wheels fell off for him in the last 2 games.

It's not unlucky bounces, he's just too slow, and not good enough at puckhandling and passing.

It's not that he needs to get experience and learn things, he's just incapable of making smart decisions quickly in real time. Unless his opponent skates right at him, he's lost. All oncoming rushers have to do to throw him off completely is make a freaking pass.

This guy is going to fail as an NHL player. He's failed all year and has shown no signs of being able to deal with it properly and improve his game. Don't give me some garbage about how big and tall he is. He's not an NHL defenseman.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Yeah, BM better stop acting like their dad and pull the trigger. Make an example out of Phillips, Neil and or Spezza. Send a message.

Murray will never, ever, ever do this. Do you not remember when he traded Fish and Kelly? He was crying, blubbering at the mic that he was broken-hearted that these deteriorating players had to be moved. Phillips will get a 3-year deal. Spezza will get a 5-year deal with a NMC. Neil will get a 2-3 year deal. Those will take said players (excepting Spezza) to the last years of Murray's tenure as GM and then Dorion or one of Murray's daughters or Terry Murray can do whatever they want.

This team needs a change and that change should have been at the top. Unfortunately Murray is Melnyk's BFF and he isn't able to say no.

"Eugene we need something and I need a lifetime contract."
"Yes Bryan, of course Bryan, I love you Bryan, can I get you a drink Bryan?"
"Actually Eugene I'd like to use your house in Barbados for no reason..."

:laugh:

People talk about accountability. Murray isn't being held accountable for his decisions by the media, who are too slack-jawed to ask hard questions. And now we are fed this prospect Kool Aid that all these guys are sooooooooooooo amazing. Yeah, so amazing that we're a bubble playoff team that is third only to the Islanders and Oilers in goals allowed. Absolutely brutal.

When the HELL am I going to be provided a team that plays a sound defensive game and plays with speed and vigor? Does the GM not see the glaring defensive issues this team has day in and day out? Have we even been a top 5 defensive team since Murray has taken over?

"Durr durr I don't want my team to block shots I want them to block shots."

Yeah great idea, too bad our team gives more scoring chances than en ECHL team.
Brutal stuff. Just brutal.

The Fuhr*

Murray will never, ever, ever do this. Do you not remember when he traded Fish and Kelly? He was crying, blubbering at the mic that he was broken-hearted that these deteriorating players had to be moved. Phillips will get a 3-year deal. Spezza will get a 5-year deal with a NMC. Neil will get a 2-3 year deal. Those will take said players (excepting Spezza) to the last years of Murray's tenure as GM and then Dorion or one of Murray's daughters or Terry Murray can do whatever they want.

This team needs a change and that change should have been at the top. Unfortunately Murray is Melnyk's BFF and he isn't able to say no.

People talk about accountability. Murray isn't being held accountable for his decisions by the media, who are too slack-jawed to ask hard questions. And now we are fed this prospect Kool Aid that all these guys are sooooooooooooo amazing. Yeah, so amazing that we're a bubble playoff team that is third only to the Islanders and Oilers in goals allowed. Absolutely brutal.

When the HELL am I going to be provided a team that plays a sound defensive game and plays with speed and vigor? Does the GM not see the glaring defensive issues this team has day in and day out? Have we even been a top 5 defensive team since Murray has taken over?

Well said... BM has been in charge since July 2007 and the on ice product has not improved in all that time.

Is this team better then it was in 07-08?

If people say the future... when a dude takes over in 07-08 it should not take till 17-18 to see results

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
It's funny that not too long ago people on the hawks board were calling Duncan Keith a garbage defenseman. You can do a search on HF and you'll see similar comments made about him. They were saying he doesn't belong in the NHL, he has no future and is a liability on the ice. The same comments were made about Chara too. Chara was just some big dumb goon who didn't belong on the ice and was a disgrace to other d-men out there. Just imagine what the hawks would have looked like if they had given up on Keith. You can argue they'd have 0 cups in the Toews era without him. Funny how both Keith and Chara went from nobodies to Norris defensemen.

Bottom line is d-men take long to develop and Cowen is going through severe growing pains. It's easy to say let's get rid of the bum and that he's no good but I bet if he was discarded it wouldn't take him long to be one of those things that would bite us in the ass like not keeping Chara was. Right now Cowen should be playing on the 3rd pairing until he gets his confidence back up. He also needs to play in a system that actually has structure. There is a reason why Chara transformed his game and JM had a huge role in it. I wouldn't be opposed to having Cameron or Reeds canned to open up a spot for Luke Richardson. I'd love to see the job he'd do with our defense. Maybe he can transform Cowen into the great shutdown defenseman we all hope he'll become.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

Have we ever been a top 5 defensive team under Murray? How about literally last year....

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010

You are probably right, but I still think they they will do something big at TD. Maybe Spezza getting his walking papers.

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
I don't even think they need to gut the core, Murray and MacLean just need to admit to themselves that Cowen, Phillips and Gryba are awful defencemen and find some decent replacements for them.

Methot - Karlsson
Weircioch - Empty
Empty - Ceci

It doesn't even have to be expensive. Just fill those two spots with some journeyman D-men who can play decently ES and eat some PK minutes and you've got a pretty good back end.

LD
Andrew MacDonald
Andrej Meszaros
Carlo Colaiacovo

RD
Matt Niskanen
Dan Girardi
Tom Gilbert

(good RD are kind of rare, so these guys might be pricier)

None of those guys are game breaking, all-star D-men but they're all at their physical peaks, have at least 4 seasons worth of experience and consistently provide decent play.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If Murray's honest opinion, and its not being pushed by Melnyk, is that the Sens are a contender this year and next year then im done with Murray. He clearly cant see the obvious and he's leading this team to more mediocrity.

LatteLarrys

LatteLarry's
Dec 27, 2013
Im not sure what's more silly, giving up on a team he chose to root for to begin with, or feeling the need to let strangers know as if his decision matters.

Lol, I was pretty upset and plastered last night after the game. I shouldn't be allowed near a phone when I'm in that state! Yeah, I definitely retract that comment... To be fair, I've always rooted for both the Habs and the Sens (Sens closer to my heart, especially during a rivalry). All I was really trying to say was, we need some serious restructuring if we want to go anywhere from hitherto. The spirit is just not there, and as others have pointed out, we could use an organizational shake-up for a culture change. But anyway, I've heard other people not receive such flak for indicating that they've given up on this season or they're no longer going to bother watching the games.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Lol, I was pretty upset and plastered last night after the game. I shouldn't be allowed near a phone when I'm in that state! Yeah, I definitely retract that comment... To be fair, I've always rooted for both the Habs and the Sens (Sens closer to my heart, especially during a rivalry). All I was really trying to say was, we need some serious restructuring if we want to go anywhere from hitherto. The spirit is just not there, and as others have pointed out, we could use an organizational shake-up for a culture change. But anyway, I've heard other people not receive such flak for indicating that they've given up on this season or they're no longer going to bother watching the games.

heh fair enough, i was the king of bad internet/phone decisions when I was still drinking.

I just get tired of those posts, seen others and I guess yours was just the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Jonathan81

Sep 12, 2011
I don't even think they need to gut the core, Murray and MacLean just need to admit to themselves that Cowen, Phillips and Gryba are awful defencemen and find some decent replacements for them.

Methot - Karlsson
Weircioch - Empty
Empty - Ceci

It doesn't even have to be expensive. Just fill those two spots with some journeyman D-men who can play decently ES and eat some PK minutes and you've got a pretty good back end.

LD
Andrew MacDonald
Andrej Meszaros
Carlo Colaiacovo

RD
Matt Niskanen
Dan Girardi
Tom Gilbert

(good RD are kind of rare, so these guys might be pricier)

None of those guys are game breaking, all-star D-men but they're all at their physical peaks, have at least 4 seasons worth of experience and consistently provide decent play.

I would love Girardi on this team and why not give a shot at Claesson, even if inexperienced at the nhl level it couldn't be worse than Cowen/Phillips

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad