Post-Game Talk: Wings Ruin Alfie Day

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
If AA was actually producing, his leash would be longer

Who on this team is producing? He's being benched for "defensive lapses". He needs to let the kids learn how to score at the NHL level, then worry about being defensively responsible. Instead he's doing it backwards, trying to turn 4th line retreads into point producers.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Who on this team is producing? He's being benched for "defensive lapses". He needs to let the kids learn how to score at the NHL level, then worry about being defensively responsible. Instead he's doing it backwards, trying to turn 4th line retreads into point producers.

Like it or not, he is trying to win games and keep his job, not develop young talent. The Wings coach who will oversee the rebuild will be charged with the development of young talent. We are not yet rebuilding.

I can't wait for Blash's successor and the reaction of people around here when he makes many of the same decisions and reaches many of the same conclusions as Blash.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Again, I doubt AA got benched for making a mistake or two. He got benched for lollygagging.

DeKeyser, Glendening, Miller, etc make plenty of mistakes too, but you can't knock their effort shift after shift.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Here is the important context you requested (see attached)

One of my least favourite statistics out there. It has no context in terms of zone starts, quality of comp., blowout points, etc. Further, it systematically favours players who play less due to as ice time and production can never be a direct correlation. Many players become less effective when they play more. Also the more you play the more difficult your matchups become. There is also the sample size issue.

Bottom line is that p/60 has many flaws.

Last edited:

Jon Cusack

Oct 28, 2011
One of my least favourite statistics out there. Has no context in terms of zone starts, quality of comp., blowout points, etc. Further, it systematically favours players who play less as ice time and production can never be a direct correlation. In fact, ice time and production are often inversely correlated and many players become less effective when they play more.

Do you have anything to support ice time and production are inversely correlated?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Is that at Even Strength?

Puckalytics says Mantha and Athanasiou have the same points/60 at ES.

No it's overall.

One of my least favourite statistics out there. It has no context in terms of zone starts, quality of comp., blowout points, etc. Further, it systematically favours players who play less due to as ice time and production can never be a direct correlation. Ice time and production are often inversely correlated and many players become less effective when they play more. Also the more you play the more difficult your matchups become. There is also the sample size issue.

Bottom line is that p/60 has many flaws.

It may be a flawed statistic out of context but when the argument is "he should produce more" it's a perfectly valid response.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Do you have anything to support ice time and production are inversely correlated?

I do not and should probably limit my statement to "there is no direct correlation between production and ice time" I was trying to get to the point that many players become less effective when they play more.

At any rate Ill stand by statement of p/60 having numerous flaws.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think points/60 is a good player is a good indicator that a player should be used more, or at the least, that a player is doing above expected in his current role.

Obviously what will happen when that bump in ice time happens is an unknown, and the likely scenario is that with increased usage and QOC those numbers will regress, as Sirloin pointed out.

But Athanasiou's production with the time he is given absolutely warrants that he should be played more. Because even if the odds of him maintaining that production with an expanded role is low, you should at least test it out. Especially when a lot of guys on our team can't handle the role they are being asked to do well.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Well Glenny is making mistakes because he's playing where he shouldn't be. Same with Dekeyser. Sheahan ,well, not sure what's going on with him. He just sucks I guess.

Dekeyser is the one who turned the puck over for both Ottawa goals last night, think there's any chance he will ever be "reprimanded" or have his minutes cut next game so he can learn form his mistake? Na.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
https://twitter.com/AnsarKhanMLive/status/814694086242344960

This quote bugs me, Blashill never calls out veterans publicly, but he's constantly critiqued the kids. I know other coaches do it, but he seems like a terrible teacher.

Presumably its because most of the vets are playing somewhere near their current potential, bar those who are either injured or playing with zero confidence despite decent effort like Nike.

Sheahan needs calling out, but I don't know what good it will do.

Mantha and AA frustrate coaches because the former can be brilliant when he's engaged and moving a lot, a potential first liner on that form, and AA because sometimes he forgets that footspeed and hands are not enough, and when he remembers to bring it all, he too can be a fairly dominant force. The problem for us is that trying to teach these lessons the hard way hurts the team because more ice-time goes to harder working players with far less talent.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Dekeyser is the one who turned the puck over for both Ottawa goals last night, think there's any chance he will ever be "reprimanded" or have his minutes cut next game so he can learn form his mistake? Na.

But the gap between DDK and his likely replacement (if benched) is massive in comparison to the gap between AA and the next man up. This is why it is much harder to bench vets.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I do not and should probably limit my statement to "there is no direct correlation between production and ice time" I was trying to get to the point that many players become less effective when they play more.

At any rate Ill stand by statement of p/60 having numerous flaws.

It certainly depends on what means by "less effective."

From an efficiency perspective, sure, a player will likely get less effective the more time he gets. From a total production perspective, I don't believe that's true at all.

I think if you take random player A who is getting 10 minutes a night and just start giving him 15 minutes a night his total points will increase while his efficiency declines.

TOI is a critical component of total points which everyone overlooks for some reason. Give me two guys with the exact same skill level/ability and the guy playing 15 min will score more over the course of a season than the guy playing 8...in more cases than it. Can't score when you aren't on the ice.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
AA and Larkin have been weak defensively at the NHL level. I know the line combos have sucked bad, but I can see why he got his benching. I know I'm going to get argued with, so I'll leave it at that.

Also going to point out Xavier Ouellet has been really, really strong. He's been sound defensively. His spurts in the NHL have been good to bad. Good when he was getting that 12 minutes that Jensen is now, and bad when he got above 14. He's playing big minutes right now, third most on the team at nearly 20 and he's been playing really well. He didn't get a shot tonight but he's been getting shots to the net.

Kronwall was also really good tonight. 5th in minutes. If we can get a legit number one D somehow and push everydown a spot, we actually have a fairly good defense. Everyone's in way over their head.

Vanek-Nielsen-Nyquist has been really good. Keep that together. Keep the top line together. When the other guys get back, bottom six them. Ott and Miller have both played fairly good hockey too man.

AA-Helm/Sheahan-Abdelkader
Miller/Ott-Glendening-Sheahan/Helm

I'm done with Jurco sadly.

Agree on VNN line and on the D observation. Xavier hasn't the highest upside, but he is genuine smart, positionally sound and a good decision maker. Stick his brain in Brendan Smith and you have a top 4 d-man for sure. Number 61 might yet become that long term if his current growth rate continues...

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Jurco was digging pucks out and playing well tonight. Not sure why he is the new whipping boy but then people did the same with Holmström.

If he can learnt to be as good in front of the net as Homer (but with his better hands), he'll never be allowed to leave! In all honesty, Jurco has looked decent since coming back, but without looking like the goal scorer he obviously is at AHL level. Still others I would give up on before him though.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Agree on VNN line and on the D observation. Xavier hasn't the highest upside, but he is genuine smart, positionally sound and a good decision maker. Stick his brain in Brendan Smith and you have a top 4 d-man for sure. Number 61 might yet become that long term if his current growth rate continues...

Looks like Jensen, XO, Sproul, and Marchenko all can be NHL players in the #4-#6 slot, at least. Never thought I'd see the day where they'd all be on the roster at once. The 2011 draft turned out pretty good, I'd say.

Mattias Backman should have stuck around instead of pouting and threatening to go back to Sweden. He could have been the best of them all.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Sounds exactly like Babcock. If my memory serves me correctly, Scotty Bowman was also pretty tough on kids.

It also makes sense to be harder on the kids when you have a Hall of Fame roster, and have the luxury of letting everybody over ripen for half a decade.

Maybe now that the team stinks, they should let the kids have a longer leash, and actually evaluate what young talent they do have.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Looks like Jensen, XO, Sproul, and Marchenko all can be NHL players in the #4-#6 slot, at least. Never thought I'd see the day where they'd all be on the roster at once. The 2011 draft turned out pretty good, I'd say.

Mattias Backman should have stuck around instead of pouting and threatening to go back to Sweden. He could have been the best of them all.

Except that XO can't skate! I agree with the analysis regarding his intelligence, size, and heart. But positioning can only make up so much for a physical handicap like the inability to skate even decently fast. I've seen Ouellet passed in a race by players 10 feet behind him multiple times.

A friend of mine has a blue pitt-bull that is a beautiful and wonderful animal...but the the poor dog has hip dysplasia. Starts walking then his rear crumples underneath, he can barely jump up a few stairs. The same way I think about XO it's tragic a player could be this gifted and also physically debilitated. Sorry to say but it just seems impossible he remains a realistic piece moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad