Confirmed with Link: Wings Release Prospect Tourney Roster & Schedule

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Agreed. I haven't seen any of the tournament but I think Seider spoiled us.

I think that's the major issue with the expectations I'm seeing here, granted I still think Seider is going to be the better dman, but after watching Edvinsson play, he defiantly has the talent to potentially be a top pairing guy someday. The other thing that we forget is that after he was drafted, Seider played two years in pro leagues until he made the jump to the big club, Edvinsson only had one pro season so far.

It will help if Edvinsson starts the year with the Griffins this season. If he progresses significantly maybe he'll get called up, but he should at least expect that he'll play the rest of the year there.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
No question Seider has f***ed up expectations

That’s the problem. Seider is a bonafide superstar and will be getting Norris votes soon. The only other rookie defensemen to do what Seider did in the last 29 years are also superstars.

Edvinsson is 2 years younger. He’s still got a way to go. Can Edvinsson become a superstar? Maybe. Is it more likely he just becomes a star? I think so.

If Seider is our Makar then Edvinsson can be our Toews. Or maybe it’s more Keith/Seabrook or Hedmam/McDonagh.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
That’s the problem. Seider is a bonafide superstar and will be getting Norris votes soon. The only other rookie defensemen to do what Seider did in the last 29 years are also superstars.

Edvinsson is 2 years younger. He’s still got a way to go. Can Edvinsson become a superstar? Maybe. Is it more likely he just becomes a star? I think so.

If Seider is our Makar then Edvinsson can be our Toews. Or maybe it’s more Keith/Seabrook or Hedmam/McDonagh.
Pronger/Niedermayer.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I was at the friday game. I can definitely see the critique of edvinsson needing more urgency, but I also think that’s partially of just who he is as a person and player. You don’t really ever see him super intense. I thought he broke up a lot of plays with his stick and offensively made some really good passes. He certainly ran the powerplay well. But I’m confused why it’s such an issue for people if he doesn’t make the team and needs a development year in GR. Like we shouldn’t have him on the team just to do it.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Freedooom!!! Ok, that out of the way...

I was at the friday game. I can definitely see the critique of edvinsson needing more urgency, but I also think that’s partially of just who he is as a person and player. You don’t really ever see him super intense. I thought he broke up a lot of plays with his stick and offensively made some really good passes. He certainly ran the powerplay well. But I’m confused why it’s such an issue for people if he doesn’t make the team and needs a development year in GR. Like we shouldn’t have him on the team just to do it.
To me it's less the need of a year of development, and more a view that the developing he needs, GR can't provide. His body is ready, he's played against men and succeeded. What he needs is acclimating to speed and the AHL isn't it. He needs exposure to the pace of the NHL, shift in and shift out. Then once he gets used to the speed he can reach back into his bag of tricks.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Detroit Prospect camp 2022.png

Tournament stats.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I didn't see much more than a game and a half, but did I miss the part where Edvinsson was really sound defensively? He was flashy and full of talent but I can't count the number of times where there was a 2-on-1 created because he misread the play and jumped when he should have settled back.

The reason Seider made the jump to the show right away was because his fundamentals were so sound. He rarely got beat defensively and was always in position. Now Edvinsson may actually have more ~skill~ than Seider but if I were a betting man, he is going to spend time in GR until he is over ripened.

Reactions: r0bert8841

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I didn't see much more than a game and a half, but did I miss the part where Edvinsson was really sound defensively? He was flashy and full of talent but I can't count the number of times where there was a 2-on-1 created because he misread the play and jumped when he should have settled back.

The reason Seider made the jump to the show right away was because his fundamentals were so sound. He rarely got beat defensively and was always in position. Now Edvinsson may actually have more ~skill~ than Seider but if I were a betting man, he is going to spend time in GR until he is over ripened.
I just don't see anything Ed can learn in the AHL that he wouldn't learn better and quicker at the NHL. Becoming a steady Eddie in the AHL is pointless when you want this guy to be a dynamic game-changer at the NHL level. He needs to learn the timing of when and how to jump and when to retreat at NHL speed not AHL speed.

To expand, to your point the misreads and all that is stuff that Ed had already figured out in the SHL. These are all things he knows how to do, gap control, pinch/don't pinch, etc... "Learning" them in the AHL just to have to "learn" them again at the NHL speed is pointless. What he has to do is take what he already knows how to do and apply it to the NHL speed.

There will be mistakes as he calibrates to NHL speed. That's just the type of defenseman he is. Once he's calibrated tho... that's when the fun starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad