Confirmed with Link: Wings Release Prospect Tourney Roster & Schedule

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
3 games seems pretty light. I remember these tournaments used to be 5 or 6 games in the past. Is it because of how late they're starting the tournament this year?
It was typically 4 games, at least according to my memory and including the times I've attended. Traditionally, there have been 8 teams, 2 divisions of 4, a 3-game round robin within your division, and then they'd seed everyone (1v2, 3v4, 5v6, 7v8), based on standings and goal differential, for a 4th game.

Sadly, there are only 5 teams this year, so I presume that's why there were fewer games. Although I'm not sure why they couldn't have had everyone play everyone else. Would have been 4 games a piece. Instead, Toronto got 4 games and everyone else got 3 lol.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Bkakabato (however you spell it lol)
6txzwb.jpg

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Riley Piercey was the only free agent I thought was worth a damn. I'd like to see him have a better scoring year in junior but he might be worth a look in GR.

Don't think there's any room at GR for him. Better go to Flint or another option is Toledo.

There's this waiver-eligibility push for even Joe Veleno to be sent down.

Red Wings current depth chart:

Bertuzzi - Larkin - Perron
Vrana - Copp - Raymond
Kubalik - Suter - Zadina
Erne - Rasmussen - Sundqvist
(Smith)

Veleno --> GR as only waiver eligible
Fabbri LTIR

Chiarot - Seider
Määttä - Hronek
Edvinsson - Lindström
(Hägg, Oesterle)

Pysyk LTIR
Walman LTIR

Husso
Nedelkovic

13+8+2 = 23 full 23-man roster, with 3 injuries (26 total players).

Grand Rapids

(Veleno, if sent down)
-----------------------
Hirose -- Czarnik -- Luff
Söderblom - Criscuolo - Berggren
Andreasson - Spezia - L'esperance
Hanas - Pearson - Shine
------------------------
Bliss - Worrad - Tyutyayev
Lacroix

That's a 16-17 forward group.
Signing Riley Piercey in here as extra does sent him to Toledo, imo, if not going back to Flint.

GR defence:
Lashoff - Johansson
Sebrango - Kampfer
Viro - Newpower
McIsaac - Barton

Deep 8 defencemen core. Somebody are speculating also Edvinsson in here, we'll see, don't believe in that, imo.

If Biakabutuka is signed, does he go back to juniors or to Toledo ?

GR goalies:
Olkinuora
Brättström
-------------
Cossa --> back to WHL ?
Lethemon --> Toledo ?

If Cossa is AHL ready, does he push Brattström to Toledo ?

Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
question: Are we having a "Main" Training Camp thread or are we continuing it in this one?

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I am glad Cossa is playing well this camp. We spent 2 high first round draft picks on him so it is important he pans out.

Last edited:

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I was pretty impressed with Biakabutuka in the first game, made good decisions quickly and has a strong first pass. Haven't seen what he's been up to today yet.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can see how Cossa did well in interviews leading up to the draft.

He's got the right attitude. That's pretty important for a mental position like goaltending. Excited to see where he goes from here.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
I didn't get to see the 3rd period. Was the injury to Edvinsson at the end of the 2nd anything to worry about?

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The Winged Wheel podcast was pretty critical of Edvinsson on their latest episode. I generally like what they do but I couldn’t really agree with the latest.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
The Winged Wheel podcast was pretty critical of Edvinsson on their latest episode. I generally like what they do but I couldn’t really agree with the latest.
They basically said that he needs to work on his urgency and pace and he's going to have to quickly learn to clean up some of his "fancy" play. Which is all true, he had some lazy turnovers and he needs to add some more pace. It's not that he can't, he just needs to show it during camp and the preseason in order to stick. Otherwise, some time in GR wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
he had a good first period, and it was downhill after that
Seider, a lanky 6’4″ and 197 pounds and all of 20 years of age, let Pius Suter by him (to be fair, Suter also skated through Adam Brubacher) for a goal, and Seider–in my opinion–deferred to his defensive partners too much, especially later in the game…
This was Malik’s notes on Seider after last year’s Red vs White game. And remember how he got walked by Laine in preseason?

These environments always favor flashy offensive players. Edvinsson was easily one of the best players at the tournament, but because expectations are that he’ll completely dominate every shift and be perfect, it’s seen in a negative light.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This was Malik’s notes on Seider after last year’s Red vs White game. And remember how he got walked by Laine in preseason?

These environments always favor flashy offensive players. Edvinsson was easily one of the best players at the tournament, but because expectations are that he’ll completely dominate every shift and be perfect, it’s seen in a negative light.

I still would not draw any conclusions about players, who have been already pros (like Edvinsson in Sweden), and join junior tournaments. It's totally different hockey, totally different mentality, and they could act like they are already pros and don't get involved against juniors so much. Even Raymond was a bit disappointment, when he was at Traverse City. And how fit was he for the NHL after real training camps.

These tournaments, imo, won't tell anything about NHL readiness. It's just prospect comparison vs. prospect. Most motivated guys were prospect try-outs, who fight for their lives, like Piercey. Others have places to go, so they are more at comfort zone.

But when the real NHL training camp will start, guys like Edvinsson and Söderblom start playing and competing against men/roster spot, it goes totally different, then it's time for evaluation. And especially, when they start playing pre-season games against REAL opposite team NHLrs, those are the games, when we can really start judging them.

Podcast guys basing their critics only for development camps or junior tournaments - those are too early judgments.

Last edited:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
These tournaments, imo, won't tell anything about NHL readiness. It's just prospect comparison vs. prospect. Most motivated guys were prospect try-outs, who fight for their lives, like Piercey. Others have places to go, so they are more at comfort zone.
It's also generally more difficult for d-men to shine at these outings.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
They basically said that he needs to work on his urgency and pace and he's going to have to quickly learn to clean up some of his "fancy" play. Which is all true, he had some lazy turnovers and he needs to add some more pace. It's not that he can't, he just needs to show it during camp and the preseason in order to stick. Otherwise, some time in GR wouldnt be the worst thing in the world.
Bingo, the context is important - I think they were talking about how if he wants to play in the NHL, he needs more pace and urgency. He can start in GR, too, it's the usual way.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Guy only had 1 pro season, Seider had 3 before start playing for wings

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Guy only had 1 pro season, Seider had 3 before start playing for wings

I think we can count another pro season for him. At 2020-21 Edvinsson was practising at Frölunda system, played 10 SHL games. Then went to Allsvenskan for loan for rest of the season, which is pro league too. Västerås was one of the top Allsvenskan teams and was involved at promotion playoffs. Those are big games. So this kind of SHL+Allsvenskan season is not far from what Seider faced at DEL, worst DEL teams are Allsvenskan level. Anyways, men/pro environment, great places to be and tougher competition.

It's quite fun that Edvinsson played under Lidström's eye at those Allsvenskan playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Murmansk16A

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Agreed, they were way too critical of him. One of them said there’s a “0% chance Edvinsson makes the team” if he continues playing like he has at the tournament.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Bingo, the context is important - I think they were talking about how if he wants to play in the NHL, he needs more pace and urgency. He can start in GR, too, it's the usual way.
Agreed. I haven't seen any of the tournament but I think Seider spoiled us.

I want to see our shiny new toy in the lineup, but it's not the worst thing in the world if a 19 year old defenseman prospect has to play all or part of a season in GR to hone his game.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Funny, I almost fired up that TWW podcast ep on the way to work this morning, but opted for an ep of The Dollop instead. I'll have to give it a listen on the way home now.

I mean, given expectations, Edvinsson wasn't all that impressive in this tournament. He was solid, but I guess I'd have to agree that he'll need to show more in main camp and preseason (and I certainly think he can) in order to make the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad