Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Abdelkader for 7 years 4.25m/yr full NTC in first 4 yrs, partial after

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
W4stg3y.gif

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yeah. What made the Wings great we're having more talent than everyone else in a non salary cap era.

Holland was forced to cut salary and made the Wings a contender from 2007-2009. As in, the class of the league contender.

Give him grief all you want for the 2010- era, but give him credit for what he did after the lockout.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
For all those talking about the cap rising... Just remember the Canadian dollar is weakening and the US dollar is strengthening, at the same time. The cap will likely not change next year, and economic analysts are pointing to the USD/CAD relationship not changing much in the next few years.

Layman's terms: The cap over the next 5 years will stay around what it is today, with only minor corrections year to year.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Holland was forced to cut salary and made the Wings a contender from 2007-2009. As in, the class of the league contender.

Give him grief all you want for the 2010- era, but give him credit for what he did after the lockout.

Also had arguably 3 of the best 10 players in the world.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Also had arguably 3 of the best 10 players in the world.

Welcome to any team that has been a contender for a lengthy period of time.

If Chicago is the standard, you have to acknowledge their GM walked into three top-tier talents as well.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I don't like the term at all but I am perfectly fine with the AAV. It's not David Clarkson, people, not even close, but no, it isn't good either. In any case, we really need Abdelkader as we'd have no one to replace him if he were to go away.

Still a firm supporter of Holland. Sue me.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well we'll see I guess. He has like 2 points in the past 12 games or some nonsense.
Pulkkinen has 1 goal in the last 10, who cares. Not everyone is going to score every game. Abdelkader has helped others score goals by being in front of the net and is still on pace for the same totals he had last year, so I don't see the problem.

Those goals are very difficult to come by, are you serious? Players who make careers off garbage goals do not score a lot of goals for a reason.
I don't agree at all. The front of the net is where goals are scored. Now Abby isn't going to score A LOT of goals because he is not an elite sniper or someone that creates goals by himself, but as long as he parks in front of the net he will get his 15+ goals through rebounds, deflections and so on. That is in addition to giving some of our more perimeter-prone players an increased ability to score by screening the goalie.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
For all those talking about the cap rising... Just remember the Canadian dollar is weakening and the US dollar is strengthening, at the same time. The cap will likely not change next year, and economic analysts are pointing to the USD/CAD relationship not changing much in the next few years.

Layman's terms: The cap over the next 5 years will stay around what it is today, with only minor corrections year to year.

What about expansion and other variables? Is the cap based only on the USD-CAD relationship?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
What about expansion and other variables? Is the cap based only on the USD-CAD relationship?

The relationship has to do with revenues. The Canadian teams account for a large percentage (relative to their number), as such if they lose 20% because of the dollar being weak the NHL as a whole may not see an increase in revenues, so no increase in cap.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
The relationship has to do with revenues. The Canadian teams account for a large percentage (relative to their number), as such if they lose 20% because of the dollar being weak the NHL as a whole may not see an increase in revenues, so no increase in cap.

Maybe slightly off-topic then but why is the CAD going down? I remember it used to be about the same as USD or just slightly lower.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

Those same economic analysts were the ones saying the Canadian Dollar would remain strong and that the cap would hit 100 million in the next decade.

Things change and the dollar values change with them.

As for Abby's new contract, he brings something nobody else on the team does so I have no issue signing him long term, I do however wish the team had gotten a discount in exchange for that term.

It seems like he got his market value in addition his 7 years.

Was there really any doubt he'd be a Wing for life though? I've assumed he'd be a Wing lifer from the moment he played his first game here. Was there some people here who thought the Wings wouldn't offer him a new deal?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Maybe slightly off-topic then but why is the CAD going down? I remember it used to be about the same as USD or just slightly lower.

Canadian economic dependence on fossil fuels. The drop in oil prices has weakened their economy. The CAD was higher than the dollar when two things happened at one time: US great recession and all time high oil prices.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

It's going down because the price of Oil is down and for the past decade our economy has moved away from manufacturing towards exporting oil from the Oil sands in Alberta.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Those same economic analysts were the ones saying the Canadian Dollar would remain strong and that the cap would hit 100 million in the next decade.

Things change and the dollar values change with them.

As for Abby's new contract, he brings something nobody else on the team does so I have no issue signing him long term, I do however wish the team had gotten a discount in exchange for that term.

It seems like he got his market value in addition his 7 years.

Was there really any doubt he'd be a Wing for life though? I've assumed he'd be a Wing lifer from the moment he played his first game here. Was there some people here who thought the Wings wouldn't offer him a new deal?

The issue is that the Canadian economy is closely tied to energy. So long as energy prices are low the CAD will be low. Couple that with the XL-pipeline not being built, could mean that the CAD will likely be well below parity with the USD for a long time.

Also many analysts were wrong because they thought oil would stay expensive, but a lot of commodity and monetary experts knew it was a bubble. It's also why there hasn't been a huge hit in the US economy, because a lot of people stayed away from oil speculation knowing it was unsustainable.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's an awful deal and I have no idea why we gave big in term and in salary. One or the other, not both, and we gave it to a guy our coach is currently been talking about moving down the lineup and needing to find again what made him successful.

Then again, maybe if Sheahan wasn't allergic to contact or Jurco could figure out how to stay in the lineup, maybe Abdelkader wouldn't be such a rare commodity on the Wings.

I don't believe expansion money plays into the cap at all.

I don't like the term at all but I am perfectly fine with the AAV. It's not David Clarkson, people, not even close, but no, it isn't good either. In any case, we really need Abdelkader as we'd have no one to replace him if he were to go away.

Still a firm supporter of Holland. Sue me.

Depends what part of his game you're looking to replace. I mean, if we're just looking to replace his physical play somewhere in the lineup, a guy like Matt Martin could probably be signed next summer for around a million bucks and he hits more than Gator does. For the net front presence, I think there's more than one way to skin that cat. One of our most successful lines a few years back was Flip-Z-Hudler and Hudler was the one who parked himself around the net. Skilled guys usually find ways of making it work.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Yep this is pretty much what I have said here lately, Teams giving out bad contracts are going to be haunted down the road. When there's not a whole lot of money to sign pending RFAs and UFAs.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Just did some math and with none of our players hitting performance bonuses our cap hit for next year right now is at $58,249,543. I figure Sheahan will get around 3 million and Dekeyser 4.25 million, leaving us around 65 million. Not really sure what Mrazek is going to get as well as Pulkkinen. Then there is the group of Dmen in Grand Rapids who will either be on the team or waived. The cap situation is not bad and the team will still have some flexibility to make moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad