Confirmed with Link: Wings re-sign Abdelkader for 7 years 4.25m/yr full NTC in first 4 yrs, partial after

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Isn't the other thing that Dats and Z aren't going to be playing with him for many more years?

He works with them because they need a semi-skilled workhorse that can get them the puck and get to the net.

By the looks of it, the next wave of top 2-3 players on this team will be much faster players than Dats and Z are. I'm not sure where Abby is going to fit then? Third liner with lots of special teams time (net front presence and penalty kill)?

Jewell

Jun 19, 2015
I'm fine with this contract. It's market value for a power forward and we don't currently have anyone that plays that type of game in the pipeline.

MBauer

Feb 19, 2012
MI
I'm fine with this contract. It's market value for a power forward and we don't currently have anyone that plays that type of game in the pipeline.

sure if this were a 3 year deal, 7 is just completely stupid for a player who's had one good year and maybe a few solid ones left.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
the thing is that last years production was a total fluke

before last year his career shooting percentage was 6.6 then last year he suddenly puts up a 14.9

if he had shot at his career shooting percentage last year he would have literally had 10 goals instead of 23

It's not like he was sniping goals from the circles. Most of his goals were right in front of the net, either tap-ins, rebounds or deflections. His increased sh% is pretty much a direct result of a changing role on the team.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
i have to laugh at the ntc. why would any player on the wings have to worry about getting traded anyways. has holland ever traded a homegrown prospect?

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Great, we are paying a 3rd line player over 4 million per year for the next 7 seasons:rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Its funny how when Hudler was asking for this type of money, we scoffed at him and let him walk. When Filppula wanted to be paid, same thing happened. These guys both produced way more than Justin Abdelkader. Yet Abdelkader gets a 7 year deal lol.

I have never been an Abdelkader fan. Now I get to watch him for 7 more years! I am guessing he will easily surpass Cleary as the new goat of the team for the next little while.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
c4jt321.png

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
7 years, absolutely no home town discount, full NTC for 4 freaking years.

What the flying crikey ****.

Jewell

Jun 19, 2015
It's not like he was sniping goals from the circles. Most of his goals were right in front of the net, either tap-ins, rebounds or deflections. His increased sh% is pretty much a direct result of a changing role on the team.

Deflections and tip-ins count for the same amount of points on the scoreboard as highlight reel snipes. There are no style points in the NHL.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Probably needs its own thread, since there was a ton of pre-contract discussion before this deal was made.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
WOW... I had no idea he's almost 29 years old.

Now, that term seems absurd. He's here until he's ~36?

I was thinking maybe he'll be the next Drew Miller, with more offensive upside and PP time. But the age difference just isn't there.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
2h6sxgj.gif

Awaits the 7 year deal for for Stone Hands Luke..

Can't we just sign DD and Larkin for 7 years now?

We can bridge Larkin and then sign him for 8 since we drafted him right? Might extend the time we can have him for less money.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Deflections and tip-ins count for the same amount of points on the scoreboard as highlight reel snipes. There are no style points in the NHL.
Yes I agree. It's also a lot easier to sustain a sh% that is based on scoring dirty goals around the bluepaint rather than sniping top corners. I don't buy the argument that Abdelkader only produced more because of an "unsustainable" sh%.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yes I agree. It's also a lot easier to sustain a sh% that is based on scoring dirty goals around the bluepaint rather than sniping top corners. I don't buy the argument that Abdelkader only produced more because of an "unsustainable" sh%.

Well we'll see I guess. He has like 2 points in the past 12 games or some nonsense.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
First let me say: KH sucks.

Although, term nor money isn't a big issue here, it's wether the cap stays the same, goes down or rises in the next 4-5-6 years... His 4.2M might be todays 2.2M in 5 years, so if he sucks in 5 years it won't hurt the team cap structure. NTC or not doesn't matter either, KH doesn't trade highvalued($) roster players anyways, irrelevant.

Let's all hope the cap rises.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

Those goals are very difficult to come by, are you serious? Players who make careers off garbage goals do not score a lot of goals for a reason.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
First let me say: KH sucks.

Although, term nor money isn't a big issue here, it's wether the cap stays the same, goes down or rises in the next 4-5-6 years... His 4.2M might be todays 2.2M in 5 years, so if he sucks in 5 years it won't hurt the team cap structure. NTC or not doesn't matter either, KH doesn't trade highvalued($) roster players anyways, irrelevant.

Let's all hope the cap rises.

The cap and term and money are all part of the same issue. The cap doesn't matter if it's a short term and low money. The money doesn't matter if the cap rises a ton next year. The term doesn't matter if the cap rises consistently over the next 7 years.

But seeing as how most signs point to the cap remaining stagnant or even dropping based on the CAD, I don't think it bodes well at all.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
So this is what I originally Wrote in the other thread::

Considering how our team is currently set up. I would be okay with overpaying Abdelkader on a short term deal.

I would offer something like:

4.75Mil x 3years
4.375 x 4years
4.025 x 5 years

I think when they say "more than 4 years" = 5 years. 4/5.
I think when they say north of 4Million it means 4.00-4.5.

Lets be honest, I do not think even Holland will give him 5.
BUT we do need to resign him. I cannot imagine our team without him on it.

This 7 year deal is an overpay.. But not by ALOT:

I probably would have done 3.65-3.75 for 7 years. Meaning he's getting 0.5 Mil too much.

I dont think this qualifies as "David Clarkson" territory at all.
BUT...
The deal is 2-3 years too long at this cap hit.
Maybe I am out to lunch on current salary changes.

I mean is Stamkos worth 11.5-12 Mil per year????
Is Toews worth 10.5???
What will we have to pay Nyquist/Tatar in 4 years? 7 Mil each??

Honestly salary is tough, as the competitive pay scene keeps changing. But I would call this a 5/10 contract, not a 0/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad