Post-Game Talk: Wings play bad, end up losing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Green on the top-pair... well why not. Let's try everything.

"Even today on the ice, we talked about a certain technique and he thought we wanted him to do it one way and the one thing I said to him was 'you do it the way you feel the most comfortable to get the job done. We'll give you advice, and then you've got to do it to make sure you get the job done."

The more I hear from this guy the more I feel like he is way over his head. We went from a coach that runs a tight ship to "Just do whatever you want". No wonder we suck. Next he will be babbling about sharpening their shovels.
Well you have to realize that we are talking about professionals, veteran players that have been around the league for a long time. I don't see anything wrong with Blash taking that kind of approach in trying to get players to be better. Let them know they need to be better, give them advice on how to be better, and if they don't do it.. take away their ice time or even their place in the lineup.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Green on the top-pair... well why not. Let's try everything.

Well you have to realize that we are talking about professionals, veteran players that have been around the league for a long time. I don't see anything wrong with Blash taking that kind of approach in trying to get players to be better. Let them know they need to be better, give them advice on how to be better, and if they don't do it.. take away their ice time or even their place in the lineup.
yeah that's a good way of looking at things.

Not directed at you:
Watching and analyzing things for years though, we have a serious problem with defenceman ability to transition, it's about skill set. Blashill will only be able to improve things a bit with this approach, but it won't be nearly enough. Those guys suck back there at it. We need Kenny to trade for another quality puck mover. I have a bad feeling we won't see it. I'd move a forward, svechnikov, and a pick or whatever else to fix this glaring hole. Even if we draft this player this years he wouldn't make it and be making an impact for like 4 years. By then kronwall is done, and well I sure as well can't stand to wait that long watching this crap.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Yea when you're a pro who's played at top level in the NHL for years I don't think you need a coach telling you how to do things. Just get it done the way you're used to.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Yea when you're a pro who's played at top level in the NHL for years I don't think you need a coach telling you how to do things. Just get it done the way you're used to.

I have to agree with you and few others by saying I dont think pro players really needs instruction on execution from the headcoach. a coach can definitely help or ask you to do some stuffs done in certain ways but beyond that it will kinda sound ridiculous to pro athletes unless the said coach is a former superstar or like that.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Well yes and no. Coaches are supposed to develop a game plan they feel will have the greatest chance of success, and players are supposed to execute that game plan to the degree they are capable of and to the degree the situation allows it. It's not like football where each player knows exactly what their route is going to be for each play (game is too fluid for that), but they do have a general framework to work from. There is a middle ground.

Actual Thought*

Well yes and no. Coaches are supposed to develop a game plan they feel will have the greatest chance of success, and players are supposed to execute that game plan to the degree they are capable of and to the degree the situation allows it. It's not like football where each player knows exactly what their route is going to be for each play (game is too fluid for that), but they do have a general framework to work from. There is a middle ground.

Exactly. From the looks of things the players have very little idea what the framework is. Green seemed to express he didn't know what the staff wanted. He also seemed to indicate he had received more specific direction in the past.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Exactly. From the looks of things the players have very little idea what the framework is. Green seemed to express he didn't know what the staff wanted. He also seemed to indicate he had received more specific direction in the past.

Green I can't speak to, as I haven't heard or read where he's said anything like that. He probably has.

The guys look like they have little idea of the framework because they're missing simple passes. They're not holding in the puck at the line when it's hit right at them. They're putting pucks directly into the skates of their teammates. That's not gameplanning, that's physical mistakes.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada

Not saying you don't know what you are talking about, but do you have any links to quotes of this? I'm just interested in reading them, or where they said during a game interview etc? Thanks man, I missed them.

Actual Thought*

Green I can't speak to, as I haven't heard or read where he's said anything like that. He probably has.

The guys look like they have little idea of the framework because they're missing simple passes. They're not holding in the puck at the line when it's hit right at them. They're putting pucks directly into the skates of their teammates. That's not gameplanning, that's physical mistakes.
That tends to happen when players are thinking too much. Usually because they aren't sure where they are supposed to be or what they should be doing.

Not saying you don't know what you are talking about, but do you have any links to quotes of this? I'm just interested in reading them, or where they said during a game interview etc? Thanks man, I missed them.
The quotes I was referring to came from Blashill recounting a conversation with Green. From what Blashill said Green seemed to be confused about expectations and Blashill told him to just do whatever he is comfortable doing. It seemed from his comment that Green was used to a coach telling him what he expected and was seeking that from Blashill.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/10/red_wings_jeff_blashill_contem.html

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Another interesting tidbit from that article:

Zetterberg said it's not a case of players getting accustomed to new coaches.

"It's more execution. It's up to us," Zetterberg said. "We have to be better when we get our chances. Turnovers will happen; we just have to minimize them."

Who would've guessed players are somewhat responsible for what happens on the ice.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I can't get behind any train of thought that doesn't realize the players are the ones who are majorly responsible. Blaming the coaching is a cop out.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Another interesting tidbit from that article:

Who would've guessed players are somewhat responsible for what happens on the ice.

Yeah, it's almost as if the players are responsible for their performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad