Post-Game Talk: Wings play bad, end up losing

Status
Not open for further replies.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Not sure the hate for Kindl. He had a good game imo.
I think because he plays more on PP than Greene.
Yeah didn't see the game and from the looks it's good i didn't.. but I saw the replays. And on the McDavid goal, shouldn't there have been a penalty called for the interference on Richards just before they entered our zone??

I thought so too. That was a textbool inerference penalty.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The Wings need to load up the top pairing.

Go with:

Kronwall - DeKeyser
Quincey - Green
Kindl - Ericsson

Or do whatever, the combinations all suck with the personnel we have.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The Wings need to load up the top pairing.

Go with:

Kronwall - DeKeyser
Quincey - Green
Kindl - Ericsson

Or do whatever, the combinations all suck with the personnel we have.

DK and Kronwall both suck at playing the right side of the ice, it isn't really an option at this point.

Loading a pairing would be putting Kronwall - Green together in my opinion.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I am not all that surprised by this, and the total overreaction. We are 6 games in and at .500. Not really the end of the world. Our D is still a mess and having DD/ Green not play together most of the pre-season or just be hurt hasn't helped it. E still plays awful, I'd rather try Q there at this point, even with his own goals lol. Tatar and Pulu need to start using their teammates and stop over handling the puck. Nyquist has looked ok but I hate him with Tats. They haven't looked good together since entering the NHL. Team is missing some size. I don't think Pulu fits this team because we already have a bunch of small scoring wingers. I'd move him to upgrade the D in a second. I'd be pro bringing AA up to play on the 3rd line too because his speed would really help entry, he also has decent size. Helm has also looked pretty slow, but I'm hoping that is just conditioning. These vets are learning a completely different system, and it shows. Upgrading E is massively necessary right now. Wings can't play Blash's system with this D.

The flipside:

The natural reaction is to laugh off that revelation, but you shouldn’t. Yes, six games isn’t much. But look at the difference compared to the first six games last season. The Leafs were peppered right away in 2014-15. Even after just six games, they ranked 26th in the NHL with a 45.9 score adjusted Corsi percentage. Since Corsi tracks not just shots, but shot attempts, the sample size is much bigger than it seems in a six-game snapshot. It’s remarkable how accurately the first six games of 2014-15 (45.9%) reflected the full-season total (45.3%). We thus are justified in taking Toronto’s early-season sample this year seriously, too. This team is already tracking as top 10 in puck possession.

The Leafs are doing a proper tank and will have a top pick in this upcoming draft. The underlying numbers already show a transition in the right direction, one we are not seeing in Detroit. No far from it, suggesting that the idea Blashill was somehow going to magically improve the team was wishful thinking.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
DK and Kronwall both suck at playing the right side of the ice, it isn't really an option at this point.

Loading a pairing would be putting Kronwall - Green together in my opinion.

I'm not against trying Kronwall-Green and reuniting Dekeyser-Quincey, but I disagree that putting Kronwall-Dekeyser is not really an option, especially if Quincey-Green could stay afloat as a decent 2nd pairing. When Dekeyser got thrown onto the top pairing with Kronwall in the past he did just fine. And that was in his first full season. If people were eager to throw Smith up top for looking less like Smith for a short period of time then I don't know why Dekeyser wouldn't been given the same amount of trust and respect.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm not against trying Kronwall-Green and reuniting Dekeyser-Quincey, but I disagree that putting Kronwall-Dekeyser is not really an option, especially if Quincey-Green could stay afloat as a decent 2nd pairing. When Dekeyser got thrown onto the top pairing with Kronwall in the past he did just fine. And that was in his first full season. If people were eager to throw Smith up top for looking less like Smith for a short period of time then I don't know why Dekeyser wouldn't been given the same amount of trust and respect.

Fine? He looked a lot worse on the right side, as he has whenever he lines up there. Nothing wrong with that, Kronwall has never been able to handle the right side either and he is a much better player.

The issue is they are both LD guys. I don't think it is a good move to put either on the right side of the ice. There in lies the problem.

I guess we can hope he grows into it, but DeKeyser is very bad on his backhand.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Its in the fans best interest for this team to miss the playoffs. The current direction is no direction. We are never going to achieve meaningful changes if we keep the status quo.

Actual Thought*

Its in the fans best interest for this team to miss the playoffs. The current direction is no direction. We are never going to achieve meaningful changes if we keep the status quo.

That's nonsense. Dylan Larkin is another fine example of a hidden gem found late in the draft.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
"I do think our D can do a better job of being a little more proactive and getting up in the play. I think we can do a better job of putting other teams on their heels. We worked on that a little bit today."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/10/red_wings_jeff_blashill_contem.html

Prediction: the team gives up another 5 odd man rushes next game. Really don't think the D needing to be more proactive is the issue here. If anything, it seems to have bitten the Wings in the ass thus far.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

HA HA HA.

That is ridiculous. The current direction is a roster that has a ton of forward depth that needs to package some of it to get a defenseman and they could make some loud noise in the playoffs. The team isn't going to keep scuffling like they have in the first six games. They're just not. Guys don't forget how to play hockey. Ten year veterans don't just stop being able to handle passes or hit nets in the span of one offseason.

The Wings have gone from a roster full of garbage to one with promising prospects on pretty much every forward line. The defense needs work and a fresh infusion of talent, but if you can look at the 2013 Wings and the 2015 Wings and not see that there is a decisive plan to improve the roster with younger, fresher players, I don't know what to tell you.

If they were to go after your "meaningful changes", the team would go directly against everything that has made it so successful for the last 25 years.

I mean, me as a Wings fan? I want them to win as many games as they can every year they play. I don't want them to tank a year to get some mystery box who could be a superstar or could be Alexandre Daigle. I have enough "hoping for a superstar" with watching the ****ing Lions. I don't want to have to do that with the team that's actually ****ing decent.

Actual Thought*

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/10/red_wings_jeff_blashill_contem.html

Prediction: the team gives up another 5 odd man rushes next game. Really don't think the D needing to be more proactive is the issue here. If anything, it seems to have bitten the Wings in the ass thus far.

"Even today on the ice, we talked about a certain technique and he thought we wanted him to do it one way and the one thing I said to him was 'you do it the way you feel the most comfortable to get the job done. We'll give you advice, and then you've got to do it to make sure you get the job done."

The more I hear from this guy the more I feel like he is way over his head. We went from a coach that runs a tight ship to "Just do whatever you want". No wonder we suck. Next he will be babbling about sharpening their shovels.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
If Holland doesn't get proactive about the defense, the team will continue to be stuck in neutral. It's been a major issue for almost 6 years and he's done little to try and fix it.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
"Even today on the ice, we talked about a certain technique and he thought we wanted him to do it one way and the one thing I said to him was 'you do it the way you feel the most comfortable to get the job done. We'll give you advice, and then you've got to do it to make sure you get the job done."

The more I hear from this guy the more I feel like he is way over his head. We went from a coach that runs a tight ship to "Just do whatever you want". No wonder we suck. Next he will be babbling about sharpening their shovels.

And even if we had Scotty Bowman, we'd be going no where with Kindl, Smith, Ericsson and Quincey.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't understand why Kronwall-Green isn't the top line. Green is used to those minutes, isn't he? Load them up and get points.

DDK Quincey should be a safe enough second pair, pretty mediocre at offense but won't kill us.

Who gives a **** who our 3rd pair is, there are like 10 different mediocre combinations of E/Kindl/Smith/March/Jensen/Ouellet or whatever that will all be unremarkable as long as we shelter the hell out of them.

Load it up. I see no downside.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
If they were to go after your "meaningful changes", the team would go directly against everything that has made it so successful for the last 25 years.

This is what has made them successful for the past 25 years.

1. Sucking and drafting a superstar franchise center with a top 5 pick

2. Getting extremely lucky with a bunch of draft picks. Lidstrom, Fedorov, Konstantinov, Datsyuk, Zetterberg

We got HoF calibre players found in the mid-late rounds in a relatively short span of time. Lidas turned out to be arguably a top 5 dman of all time.

3. Signing tons of stars to fill our gaps. We can't do this anymore because of the salary cap.

Basically our options are to suck so we can get some good players, or pray to the ****ing hockey Jesus that we draft some more HoF caliber guys with mid-late round picks like we did in the 90s

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Really? We're going to ***** about the defense when the one goal we did score was during a brief moment of promising offense only to settle back into the pillow-soft perimeter hockey our guys seem comfortable with?

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

I'm still int he cautiously optimistic camp when it come to Blash. Still hoping the team will pull it together over the next few games. That being said, can't remember giving up like 3+ odd man rushes per game last season. Either Blash is telling the D to be way too aggressive here, or the D core is still trying to figure out what exactly he wants. I'm hoping it's the latter.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Really? We're going to ***** about the defense when the one goal we did score was during a brief moment of promising offense only to settle back into the pillow-soft perimeter hockey our guys seem comfortable with?

Eh, it's a lot easier to set up quality offense when you have 5 guys contributing to it rather than 3...

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
At least we shot more and played decent at the end of the 2nd and in the 3rd...

This was a thought I had about the game. Middle of the 2nd it took on a proper NHL flow.

Blashill and Co. are remaining VERY positive. Z also felt they did much better things overall than previous games. They played poor vs CAR, did some better things to build upon vs MON and into Edmonton. I can relate to this line of thinking. Like Pavel's wish-list faults were addressed and improved last game. They attempted 75 shots and only 28 made it to the net- there are obvious bright spots.

I agree with most who say Wings must inevitably go through a rough patch learning their way without Babcock. It does seem like a new era to me. I'm enjoying it because the team feels different, there is an excitement to the players AND Blashill guiding this ship.

I think Blash is ahead of the critics here. Realistically assessing the data we all watch the Wings are responding as best they can. Stating Monday that players time will not be as equal to each other as in the first games. Now switching up the D pairings (meaning moving Big-E to lower spot)... a change fans have been begging for years Blashill may be willing to make. He has to work with this roster. Speaking of, how soon until the Holland firing threads begin to re-emerge? :laugh:

Someone said a few games ago that fans got overly confident in the pre-season and starting 3-0. I had also posted HF was not going to be pretty if and when we lose. There is a looong season ahead there will be some ups and down and guaranteed a few surprises. I still disagree with this attitude that the Wings should easily stomp all "bottom-feeders" who are ******* lottery teams. Sorry to have to say it again but it isn't 2002. The cliche that any team can win is becoming more true every season in the NHL.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Im for what TZE said about the top pair. Should have been the lines from the getgo. Ericsson does not belong with Kronwall.

Kronner/Green
DD/Quincey
../...

whoever.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
This was a thought I had about the game. Middle of the 2nd it took on a proper NHL flow.

Blashill and Co. are remaining VERY positive. Z also felt they did much better things overall than previous games. They played poor vs CAR, did some better things to build upon vs MON and into Edmonton. I can relate to this line of thinking. Like Pavel's wish-list faults were addressed and improved last game. They attempted 75 shots and only 28 made it to the net- there are obvious bright spots.

I agree with most who say Wings must inevitably go through a rough patch learning their way without Babcock. It does seem like a new era to me. I'm enjoying it because the team feels different, there is an excitement to the players AND Blashill guiding this ship.

I think Blash is ahead of the critics here. Realistically assessing the data we all watch the Wings are responding as best they can. Stating Monday that players time will not be as equal to each other as in the first games. Now switching up the D pairings (meaning moving Big-E to lower spot)... a change fans have been begging for years Blashill may be willing to make. He has to work with this roster. Speaking of, how soon until the Holland firing threads begin to re-emerge? :laugh:

Someone said a few games ago that fans got overly confident in the pre-season and starting 3-0. I had also posted HF was not going to be pretty if and when we lose. There is a looong season ahead there will be some ups and down and guaranteed a few surprises. I still disagree with this attitude that the Wings should easily stomp all "bottom-feeders" who are ******* lottery teams. Sorry to have to say it again but it isn't 2002. The cliche that any team can win is becoming more true every season in the NHL.

would love for E to go down. Hopefully blash makes that change.

I'm not super angry we lost. But im salty because we should be at least 4 and 2. Doesn't help we have been playing like crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad