Confirmed with Link: Wings out of the bidding for Lecavalier, according to Khan (post #743)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

Yep would too. Can the Wings get him interested? I don't know.

THink about what this roster looks like in 3 years if you pay Lecavalier 5 years, $5.5M

I'd go as high as $6.5M -- but not for more than 3 years

RedWingsNow*

Better than the alternatives on the UFA market.

I hear ya.
I'd gladly take both if possible.
But man, these guys were the cat's meow 6-7 years ago. Maybe the two best forwards in the game at the time

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
He is healthy enough to be bought our right now. Why risk it if you know he doesn't fall into your long term plans?

I am unaware of their (bolts) cap situation but it would be a good deal less to buy him out next year. Not complaining though don't get me wrong.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Us (kinda), toronto, montreal, columbus off the top of my head. Though I wonder if toronto or c-bus is good enough to make him consider playing there for either team. I'm gonna bet like all my v-cash next year on toronto missing the playoffs.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
THink about what this roster looks like in 3 years if you pay Lecavalier 5 years, $5.5M

I'd go as high as $6.5M -- but not for more than 3 years

That's an option.

But the cap ceiling could also be $75M by 16/17. A 5.5 hit now would be equal to a ~4.7 hit then. A 5 hit would be equal to 4.2 then. And so on.

Jussha

Jan 15, 2006
first I got to qualify by saying I am probably the biggest Vinny homer here lol, and he has been my favorite non-wing for a long time. It's been pretty sad seeing him decline in recent years, a lot of it has to do with multiple hand/wrist injuries though. If you look at the stats Heaton posted, most of his decline has been in the goal scoring department, where he went from being a 35+ goal scorer to essentially a 20-25 goal scorer now. Regardless, you won't find many 6 foot 4 centers that can skate like he can, and he is still good for 20-25 goals and 40-45 assists per season as a 2nd line center, which would be perfect for Detroit, plus he can quarterback a pp from the point as he has a pretty heavy slapper still.

I mean if we are willing to offer Filppula 4.5 million or so on a long-term deal, why not offer Vinny 6.5 to 7 million on a 2 year or 3 year deal. He allows us to keep D and Z together, but even if we go D and Z down the middle, Vinny can play the wing also.

I'd change Bob's second line to

Franzen - Lecavalier - Nyquist

as I think Nyquist could benefit by playing with 2 larger players, whereas Tatar might be better than Nyquist on a 3rd line because he likes to shoot more than Nyquist, so the 3rd line might generate more goals having Tatar on it instead.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
I am unaware of their (bolts) cap situation but it would be a good deal less to buy him out next year. Not complaining though don't get me wrong.

Sure it would be less for the buyout portion next year. But the buyout portion next year + the upcoming seasons salary is > buying him out now. So they are spending less money on him.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Montreal has plenty of cap room and only have RFA's Webber and Ryan White to sign... those guys aren't going to break the bank.

Guess Lecalvalier's dream to play in Montreal just got one step closer. Our new division rivals are shaping up to be stacked up front.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Bourque - Lecalvaier - Gallagher
Prust - Desharnias - Galchenyuk
White - Eller - Moen/Blunden

... Not to mention Subban, Markov and Price.

Can't believe Tampa actually went through with this.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I'd like to see Lecavalier in Detroit his playmaking ability as well as his 2-way qualities would fit well in the top 6. And with the cap space gained by letting Filppula walk you could probably be close to making a deal with him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm really starting to like this idea. I've been wondering who would be the best sniper-center to match with playmaker-Nyquist. That's pretty much Lecavalier. He also solves our size-problems in the middle.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Man, signing Lecavalier would be great. I think he's the type of player Holland would go hard after too.

I bet he ends up signing here or in Montreal.

RedWingsNow*

The one thing Detroit has going for them is that Vinny can ask Yzerman what Detroit is like. Hopefully, Yzerman can do a good sell job.

I'm not sure that anything related to Yzerman is on the top of Vinny's list these days

RedWingsNow*

But not all 29 teams either have the cap space or the amenities that Detroit offers.

Eastern Conference eams with room

Islanders
Devils
Senators
Maple Leafs
Panthers
Blue Jackets
Sabres
Rangers
Red Wings
Canadiens

Can't speak for the Amenities.

I gotta think that the Senators and Leafs will make a push. Rangers too. They've got cash to burn

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
I guess RDS is saying that Lecavalier will NOT play in the West. Seems like that shortens the list quite a bit. Who needs a 2nd line center in the East?

That ruins the speculation that was happening on the Calgary board the other day.

And he'd be a perfect fit there too. Big, skilled center who would have skilled linemates to play with.

Columbus, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, New Jersey, NYI, Ottawa, Toronto, Washington are all potential Eastern destinations.

Dropping teams that were unlikely or borderline playoff teams, we get:

Detroit, Montreal, Washington

Washington potentially keeps Ribeiro; which leaves Detroit and Montreal as "guaranteed" playoff destinations if that happens. Lecavalier has in the past expressed a desire to remain on a US-based team, but he has also been linked to Montreal for years as he is from Quebec and there have been multiple failed trades which he did approve (as mentioned above).

So it's a toss-up. Probably Montreal as they are more desperate for centers, and would offer more, plus a star Quebecois center who is somewhat reminiscent of Jean Beliveau might sell tickets.

Last edited:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'm not sure that anything related to Yzerman is on the top of Vinny's list these days

Well, Yzerman did try to keep Vinny on the team and make him whole. Vinny is getting 30+ million in the buyout and had their idea worked (the one where Tampa trades Vinny + assets to Toronto then Toronto buys him out so Tampa can re-sign him) it would've been fine.

I still think Vinny ends his career in Tampa.

RedWingsNow*

If Tampa wants him, why are they buying him out?

Why not buyout Salo and Ohlund.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Well, I can hope but... I have a funny feeling this just means we're going to face him in a Montreal sweater instead of a Tampa one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad