Confirmed with Link: Wings name 23-Man Roster

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
There are gonna be changes before Game 1.
And game 1's roster is gonna be changed a week in. Like Lalonde said, it's a fluid situation especially with the luxury of GR being so close. Realistically we have like 27-28 guys who can really play.

Reactions: lilidk

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That's a pretty slow line. Sundqvist is probably the best skater of the trio, and that's saying something. It's hard to rush passes and cause hell on the forecheck if you can't catch up to the other team.
The line I suggest?
Erne is fast. Sundqvist is already a proven forechecker.
Half the battle in forechecking is desire.
That Islanders line of Casey Cizikas, Cal Clutterbuck and Matt Martin wasn't fast. But they were a great grinding line.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's only a matter of time before Erne and Suter play shitty enough to be benched, and for Sundqvist to get injured. But we'll see how Sadina responds to being benched.

I can't remember, but did Blashill ever healthy scratch Sadina?
Yes, but it was like 2 or 3 games IIRC

Zadina, damn it, the Z is for zero. Or at least we can go back to Zadi-not and Vele-not. That was a funny moment in a GDT last season.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Why do we still keep playing Oesterle? Honestly, he is the worst D I've seen in a long while - slow, not positionally sound, afraid to take constructive actions, etc.
Not that I am a huge fan or anything, but he's our 7th D-man. A guy who sits in the press box who can jump in when someone is banged up, but were not hurting his "development" by sitting him. He's like Biega, perfect guy for that role.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yes, but it was like 2 or 3 games IIRC

Zadina, damn it, the Z is for zero. Or at least we can go back to Zadi-not and Vele-not. That was a funny moment in a GDT last season.

I like Sadina. Because he’s going to be a sad boy from riding the pine so much.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I like Sadina. Because he’s going to be a sad boy from riding the pine so much.
Oh I got it, I like Z for zero better.

It'll be funny if he rides the bench after people said he was worth $2M last season, lol. Stevie will have to eat half of it if he wants to trade Sad Flip.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
From HSJ:

Derek Lalonde emphatically put Monday afternoon's roster finalization in its place.

"Everyone makes such a big deal on this day of who made the team," the first-year head coach of the Detroit Red Wings said. "I don’t understand, I’ve never understood, the black-and-white 'making the team.' "

It is a big deal for the bean counters across the NHL, because teams have to be down to just 23 players on their roster while salary-cap compliant ahead of the deadline. But otherwise Lalonde is right: Being on the roster Monday doesn't mean being on it Friday, when the Wings open the season.

"There’s still a little evaluation going on," Lalonde said. "We're a new staff."

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My god. Hopefully also Detroit beat writers finally learn that thing, which has been obvious for years.

It's those damn reporters who will create this all madness "who will make the team or not", when they are waiting for their scoop or story. They like to write a story. Who made the team?

Then a guy like Veleno makes the team and after few days he is sent to GR and Givani called back. There goes the "story" on toilet.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Reactions: Gniwder

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah, I don't think the roster they posted yesterday means much. Let's see what kind of movement happens before now and the first game.

Reactions: jkutswings

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
My thoughts:

1. Veleno will not be a 13/14th forward. He will either play regularly or be in the AHL. Lalonde has said as much already.

2. Zadina probably won’t be the 13/14 either. Max Bultman mentioned he was “hobbled” in practice and his status reflected that.

3. I strongly suspect Soderblom will be in Grand Rapids when the season starts. I think Kubalik plays on that 3rd line in his place with Zadina (if he’s healthy) and Rasmussen. Either Veleno or Givani Smith will play on that 4th line spot.

4. Robert Hagg is atrocious and shouldn’t be anywhere near the top 6 in anything but an emergency basis. Only one of him and Oesterle should be on this roster as the 7D. I don’t think it will be long before someone is up to replace one of them to play the bottom pair. If Walman or Pysyk were healthy they’d both probably replace those two on the roster.

Just my thoughts and hunches.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holden Caufield

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
My thoughts:

1. Veleno will not be a 13/14th forward. He will either play regularly or be in the AHL. Lalonde has said as much already.

2. Zadina probably won’t be the 13/14 either. Max Bultman mentioned he was “hobbled” in practice and his status reflected that.

3. I strongly suspect Soderblom will be in Grand Rapids when the season starts. I think Kubalik plays on that 3rd line in his place with Zadina (if he’s healthy) and Rasmussen. Either Veleno or Givani Smith will play on that 4th line spot.

4. Robert Hagg is atrocious and shouldn’t be anywhere near the top 6 in anything but an emergency basis. Only one of him and Oesterle should be on this roster as the 7D. I don’t think it will be long before someone is up to replace one of them to play the bottom pair. If Walmart or Pysyk were healthy they’d both probably replace those two on the roster.

Definitely agree with you on Zadina.
No way they sign him to a long term deal and he ends up sitting in the press box.

They fully intend for him to be a top 9 winger.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No way they sign him to a long term deal and he ends up sitting in the press box.
He's the 10th highest paid forward on the team (with only Rasmussen, Raymond, Veleno and Söderblom making less) and 3 years isn't what I'd call a long-term deal.

If his contract is the best argument for playing him, he's in trouble.

Reactions: sepster

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
He's the 10th highest paid forward on the team (with only Rasmussen, Raymond, Veleno and Söderblom making less) and 3 years isn't what I'd call a long-term deal.

Agreed. His cap hit is 2.2% of the overall roster and is such that it would be inconsequential if he plays or not. In fact, it's a contract that would be relatively easy to move or bury if he's not playing himself into the lineup.

Teams sign players in order to manage assets, not handcuff themselves to a lineup.

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario

Yzerman has been fairly reluctant to give term.
The 3 year deal really surprised me.
There are only 2 players (non entry level) who currently have a longer commitment from the franchise.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I like that Robert Hagg is becoming a polarizing roster player. Especially with Edvinsson knocking on the door. Guessing Hagg becomes a hot point of discussion in the coming weeks :nod:

Reactions: Gniwder

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Anyone know when we are supposed to name assistant captains?

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
My thoughts:

4. Robert Hagg is atrocious and shouldn’t be anywhere near the top 6 in anything but an emergency basis. Only one of him and Oesterle should be on this roster as the 7D. I don’t think it will be long before someone is up to replace one of them to play the bottom pair. If Walman or Pysyk were healthy they’d both probably replace those two on the roster.

1. Yep. Unless he can beat Suter or unless someone else gets banged up, he's going to GR.
2. Zadina was already the guy "working in" to the lines before he got the puck to the ankle. Just look at the comments Lalonde made about his play and his puck management. There's no doubt about it.
3. Lalonde hinted pretty strongly that he thinks Soderblom won a spot.
4. Depends which Hagg you get. It depends how good Lalonde is at running a system and getting guys to buy in.

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
1. Yep. Unless he can beat Suter or unless someone else gets banged up, he's going to GR.
2. Zadina was already the
2. Zadina was already the guy "working in" to the lines before he got the puck to the ankle. Just look at the comments Lalonde made about his play and his puck management. There's no doubt about it.
3. Lalonde hinted pretty strongly that he thinks Soderblom won a spot.
4. Depends which Hagg you get. It depends how good Lalonde is at running a system and getting guys to buy in.
What were his comments?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Adam Erne is the only guy who has:
A) played 1-1-3 system for Tampa Bay at 2018-19 season
B) been coached by Lalonde with that new system Wings are pushing in

Jakub Vrana is another guy who has:
A) played 1-1-3 system under Barry Trotz at Capitals

Something to be noted about.

Reactions: Hinterland

Ad