Post-Game Talk: Wings' Moms ruin everything

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
The defense is not good enough to win. This team is 3-5 players and the rest are dead weight most nights.

I would agree in the sense that our D isn't good enough to win a cup, but the only reason we are in a playoff spot is because of the goals we are keeping out not the goals we are scoring. We win 1 goal games that are 3-2, 2-1, and so on. Nothing more then 3, so as bad as our D is, our offense and their lack of scoring some how is still worse.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I would agree in the sense that our D isn't good enough to win a cup, but the only reason we are in a playoff spot is because of the goals we are keeping out not the goals we are scoring. We win 1 goal games that are 3-2, 2-1, and so on. Nothing more then 3, so as bad as our D is, our offense and their lack of scoring some how is still worse.

I would agree that the scoring issues are bad, but they scored three goals tonight which should be enough to win.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I would agree that the scoring issues are bad, but they scored three goals tonight which should be enough to win.

Yea they did....

1st goal, absolutely horrendous coverage.

2nd goal, Larkin again and a "missed call"

3rd goal, a power play, 6th or 7th on the night and with the goalie pulled with 8+ minutes still left in the game?

Meanwhile in a free wheeling offensive game the other teams had 5 and an empty net

Yes we scored 3, the panthers scored 3 in 3 minutes, lol we got 3 in 60 and they did it in 3....

Aug 6, 2012
What's hurting this team more than anything is the abysmal player usage by Blashill.

That second line :barf:
Helm over Sheahan on the PP.
Glendening getting OZ faceoffs with scoring wingers after TV timeouts.
Pulkkinen sitting over Andersson.
etc. etc. etc.

Plus pulling the goalie with 6 minutes left and down by 2. I really don't get that. Blash needs to get his head out of his ass, he's a better coach than this or at least I expect more from him.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
What's hurting this team more than anything is the abysmal player usage by Blashill.

That second line :barf:
Helm over Sheahan on the PP.
Glendening getting OZ faceoffs with scoring wingers after TV timeouts.
Pulkkinen sitting over Andersson.
etc. etc. etc.

Plus pulling the goalie with 6 minutes left and down by 2. I really don't get that. Blash needs to get his head out of his ass, he's a better coach than this or at least I expect more from him.

Blashill has bugged me of late with some of his decisions. At the start of the year, it seemed like he had a better handle on his usage and was willing to adjust: Changed the 4th line's usage to their benefit, broke up Kronner and Ericsson, etc. Now he keeps trying the same things over and over and they're just not working.

Helm has got to get out of the top 6. Let Jurco or Pulkkinen take that spot. Call up Mantha, AA, or even Frk. Something's gotta change. Not really a fan of the defense pairings either, but there's few ways you can mix and match without one pairing being a disaster.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Team lost 2 in a row - all is lost, playoffs are a wild dream, need to embrace tanking. I wonder how long anyone here is actually willing to tank? There is a team in NHL with young top-3 pick and legit 1D on their roster - it lost like 20 out of 25 last games. So a couple of years of **** is not a guarantee to become a contender. Are you willing to go through a decade of ******* like Chicago or Edmonton? It's a dark time when Toronto "50 years without a cup" is called a model of good management.

Last edited by a moderator:

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
When the reff came back on the reviews he called it a good "hockey goal." For some reason him callng it a "hockey goal" really infuriated me. Am I weird? Is that what they normally say and I never noticed? I mean I watch every wings game... Should I watch more hockey? Is that a stupid question? I'm going to sleep...

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
When the reff came back on the reviews he called it a good "hockey goal." For some reason him callng it a "hockey goal" really infuriated me. Am I weird? Is that what they normally say and I never noticed? I mean I watch every wings game... Should I watch more hockey? Is that a stupid question? I'm going to sleep...

Nope they say good goal almost all the time

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Team lost 2 in a row - all is lost, playoffs are a wild dream, need to embrace tanking. I wonder how long anyone here is actually willing to tank? There is a team in NHL with young top-3 pick and legit 1D on their roster - it lost like 20 out of 25 last games. So a couple of years of **** is not a guarantee to become a contender. Are you willing to go through a decade of ******* like Chicago or Edmonton? It's a dark time when Toronto "50 years without a cup" is called a model of good management.

Well said, that's how I feel most of the time here, it's pretty unbearable. It's just 2 losses, yeah they stink but as soon as the team goes back to playing like it can, it could easily be fighting for the top spot once again. Let's stop acting like only the Wings have problems around the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well said, that's how I feel most of the time here, it's pretty unbearable. It's just 2 losses, yeah they stink but as soon as the team goes back to playing like it can, it could easily be fighting for the top spot once again. Let's stop acting like only the Wings have problems around the league.
It's not like we lost against two scrub teams either. Tampa and Florida are two of the league's best teams in the last month or so. That's not great for us, but I see no reason why we shouldn't at least be able to compete for the 3rd spot in the division.

League is so close that it only takes 2-3 losses in a row for things to start looking grim, but on the flip side it only takes a few wins in a row for us to suddenly be in a great spot again.

We're not going to be in cruise control without Kronwall. Our defense without him is a mess. I kinda hope this stretch of games makes people realize that Kronner does not "suck".

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

It more then just 2 losses. This team cant score and has some pretty bad defense. We rely on mrazek. Going forward we have no one that can be a #1 defense and Holland will never rock the boat for a trade. This reminds me of Calgarys last couple years with Iginla

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Those two losses are nothing more than a final trigger for the destructivity right now. The way we played most of the season, going through many 1-goal games
and mostly relying on young studs like Mrazek and Larkin is what should be worrisome. Just as our struggles to score, even when our life depends on it.

Now we go back to the Joe for a couple of games, once a stronghold but this season nothing like that. So, the signs could be better to be optimistic about it.
Let's just hope that they pick up some wins now and get back on track.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Why take your moms on a road trip to Florida? There's so many good strip clubs in Tampa and Miami, and it's one of the trips players should look forward to the most around the league.

Should have taken their moms on the road trip to Winnipeg and Minnesota instead.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The defense is not good enough to win. This team is 3-5 players and the rest are dead weight most nights.

Yep, you have Larkin, DeKeyer, Mrazek as your guys you can build around over the next 5 years. Tatar and Nyquist will probably still be here in 5 years and be 20+ goal guys. The rest is pretty much guys well past their prime or guys who came up through the Wings system and are getting their shot because no one better is pushing up from the prospect ranks.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Why take your moms on a road trip to Florida? There's so many good strip clubs in Tampa and Miami, and it's one of the trips players should look forward to the most around the league.

Should have taken their moms on the road trip to Winnipeg and Minnesota instead.

Sounds legit. :laugh:

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Backups generally sit on the bench for long periods of time, which is why they're backups. Playing Howard now is just playing him because he has a huge contract, Mrazek has been superior since he became a full time Wing.

You can't play the starter 82 games. You certainly can't play Mrazek 82 games. Howard (or any backup) has to be able to make at least 20 starts without being a raging dumpster fire, and has to be prepared to make 30.

He is just completely adrift right now. I've never been a gigantic "fan" of his (as in, I think people overrated him pretty early on), but even I don't think he's as awful as he's been the last month plus.

If I'm wrong and Howard is this bad now, the whole situation combines as the biggest "get your money and suck" travesty by a player in history and "the worst contract Holland's ever signed".

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't remember anyone complaining about Howard's contract when he signed it. Am I wrong?

I think it's pretty dumb to use hindsight to judge a contract. If he deserved it at the time and later ended up un-deserving it you just have to chalk that up to sometimes-****-happens-and-that's-why-people-negotiate-long-contracts.

On the other hand if a contract like Abby's starts to suck in a couple years we can all fold our hands and nod condescendingly in Holland's general direction.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I just want to point out the Hawks went down to Florida a couple weeks ago riding a 12 game win streak and lost both games to a combined 6-1.
They weren't great games but the effort wasn't too bad, we've watched them win games multiple times this year with worse games.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

I've heard hockey goal quite a few times:dunno:

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yep, you have Larkin, DeKeyer, Mrazek as your guys you can build around over the next 5 years. Tatar and Nyquist will probably still be here in 5 years and be 20+ goal guys. The rest is pretty much guys well past their prime or guys who came up through the Wings system and are getting their shot because no one better is pushing up from the prospect ranks.

I don't count Nyquist/Tatar as two people, because one needs to be shipped out for prospects/package for a D-man.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Richards is on pace for 24 points and Helm is not far behind with 22 points.

Those studly top six wingers. All those battles being won in the corners by Helm is really paying dividends. Helm's speed is super useful too. Look at him go!!!!

Also it feels like Ericsson makes more mistakes the fewer minutes he plays.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Richards is on pace for 24 points and Helm is not far behind with 22 points.

Those studly top six wingers. All those battles being won in the corners by Helm is really paying dividends. Helm's speed is super useful too. Look at him go!!!!

Also it feels like Ericsson makes more mistakes the fewer minutes he plays.

You realize aside from Datsyuk our second and third lines average similar minutes right? We aren't the blackhawks, it's more of a top 9 than top 6.

Aug 6, 2012
You realize aside from Datsyuk our second and third lines average similar minutes right? We aren't the blackhawks, it's more of a top 9 than top 6.

Either way they are producing like 4th liners while playing with the magician himself and getting PP time. It's just not even close to good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad