Post-Game Talk: Wings' Moms ruin everything

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't understand why so many are upset , it was a good game It was fast and skill game . Don't forget that we always draft late and it has effect on quality . 2014 Florida drafted Ekblad first overall, we had Larkin # 15 . 2014 they drafted Barkov second overall , we got Mantha #20. 2011 the got Huberdeau 3 overall , we got #35 Jurco . Yes we got lucky with Datsyuk and Zetterburg but it was just a luck and they are getting old now

Pending Larkin, the last time we drafted an elite player was in 1999 when we drafted Henrik Zetterberg. The last time we drafted an elite defenseman was in the goddamn 1980s. We aren't good at drafting late.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I don't understand why so many are upset , it was a good game It was fast and skill game . Don't forget that we always draft late and it has effect on quality . 2014 Florida drafted Ekblad first overall, we had Larkin # 15 . 2014 they drafted Barkov second overall , we got Mantha #20. 2011 the got Huberdeau 3 overall , we got #35 Jurco . Yes we got lucky with Datsyuk and Zetterburg but it was just a luck and they are getting old now

There was a lot of skill on display by Florida's offense.

There was a lack of skill on display by Detroit's defense.

Detroit isn't going to fix their defense with their current drafting philosophy. AKA Best available player.

The Wings future looks very mediocre.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Sigh, we literally are now in a position that the only Reason we control our own destiny is because philly has less ROW??? Seriously, one day we're fighting for 1st in the division, next could be the backseat of a playoff race....

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Sigh, we literally are now in a position that the only Reason we control our own destiny is because philly has less ROW??? Seriously, one day we're fighting for 1st in the division, next could be the backseat of a playoff race....

If not for Mrazek we'd be firmly out of the playoff picture, so at least there's that. :help:

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
4 points from more or less being assured of Austin Matthews. I love hating on the Leafs as much as anyone but that franchise is going to turn it around really quickly. I don't know if they will have a run like Chicago's been on, but they will be really freaking good in a totally mediocre conference.

Dunno about that. Edmonton still manages to suck every year, so don't sell the Leafs short :naughty:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Edmonton can't build a good defense. Detroit can't build a good defense. Only difference is that Detroit still has some aging stars to help prop the team up, but that facade is crumbling.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Detroit isn't going to fix their defense with their current drafting philosophy. AKA Best available player.

Barkov gol was a result of that , both Ericson and Marchenko fault

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA

You're right. They need to trade for a legit #1 Dman, because even if we luck out and draft one late, it'll take years before he's ready to carry the load and we need one yesterday.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Haha ya, well 12 year olds and under. I work with kids, and I always mention I'm a Wings fan, and they tell me my team sucks. Why does this bother me? I honestly don't even know why I care what a 10 year old says.

I just wanna be good again.

Must be hawk fans

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
You're right. They need to trade for a legit #1 Dman, because even if we luck out and draft one late, it'll take years before he's ready to carry the load and we need one yesterday.

Nah. If we draft one this year and give him 5 years to develop into an elite player, Larkin will only be 24.

I say we need to have a young one in our system by the 2017 draft at the latest. Any later and you're pushing it.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Vatanen or Shattenkirk or bust, simple Nyquist + and we are a better team the next 4-5 years.... Nyquist is replaceable... We don't have a guy that compares to either of those Sooo I will say having a guy like that is irraplacable

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Nah. If we draft one this year and give him 5 years to develop into an elite player, Larkin will only be 24.

I say we need to have a young one in our system by the 2017 draft at the latest. Any later and you're pushing it.

Like I said, it would take years and we need one badly right now. We've needed one for half a decade. We wasted Howard's best years (not to mention the remainder of D + Z's prime) with this crap defense. I don't want to see Mrazek go the same route.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
If not for Mrazek we'd be firmly out of the playoff picture, so at least there's that. :help:

No argument with here.

This teams is ****ed without Mrazek; I'll concede as much.

Edmonton can't build a good defense. Detroit can't build a good defense. Only difference is that Detroit still has some aging stars to help prop the team up, but that facade is crumbling.

Because the Wings had as many First rounders as the Oilers in recent years to build a decent blue line.

False equivalency...

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ive liked Jurco's game recently. He seems strong on the puck and not afraid of it, like he used to be. He used to handle it like a hot potato. Recently it seems like he wants the puck on his stick and he makes plays.

Agree his game has been encouraging lately.

This team needs to do something about the turnovers ASAP, it killed them both night in Tampa. Also we need DK right now until Kronwall is back, he cannot play like he did on the Florida swing he was atrocious the last two nights.

Not all is lost, but they really need to bounce back and protect home ice for the first time in a few months and string some games together here. It has to start in my opinion with valuing the puck more. They are loose with it in all three zones and they paid dearly for it in the first two out of the all-star break.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Time to bury Howard deep deep down in the minors. You can't let in 5 goals. Also Helm and Richards are offensive blackholes that shouldn't be in the top 6.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
That was paaainful. The 1st 8 minutes everything was wonderful but the wheels fell of fast. At 3-0 Panthers this game was over. Finito. The rest felt like filler, a sad attempt to give the fans a decent show. The Wings were gifted 2 PP's (the Jagr slash on Glendening was ridiculous) it felt fake. Jagr's goal was so ****ing sick Howard looked like a sandcastle trying to get over.

Blashill pulling Howard with 6 or something left to play was embarrassing. We go around in circles discussing that wins and losses are on the players for the most part but something is amiss with our coaching. Before each game a coach re-organizes the team, instilling a certain confidence. The group is supposed to look at themselves and believe in the identity. I'm not able to describe but there are many instances of Blashill's Wings looking like total bush league material.

Howard should go. He is done here in Detroit IMO. Watching Bishop last night wow he must have made 30 PASSES to his D it was impressive. Mrazek is on a complete next level than Howard. Can Howard be bought out? It may be dangerous if Mrazek got hurt but Kenny has to start gambling.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Time to bury Howard deep deep down in the minors. You can't let in 5 goals. Also Helm and Richards are offensive blackholes that shouldn't be in the top 6.

I'm sure he'd wave his limited NTC at this point, if the right deal were on the table. I can only imagine how frustrated and pissed he must be by now. I know I would be, even without reading fan expert opinion on message boards.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Ive liked Jurco's game recently. He seems strong on the puck and not afraid of it, like he used to be. He used to handle it like a hot potato. Recently it seems like he wants the puck on his stick and he makes plays.

Kinda sad though when we're praising a player because he can make an NHL lineup or complete a pass. Did he almost get a shot vs. Florida or did he get a shot, I can't remember. What's clear in my memory is on the same shift Jurco (and DeKeyser) getting smoked by Trocheck, a legit budding star. That was pathetic.

Sorry to be such a pessimist but after a loss like this it's hard to see any bright spots beside Larkin and Mrazek.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'm sure he'd wave his limited NTC at this point, if the right deal were on the table. I can only imagine how frustrated and pissed he must be by now. I know I would be, even without reading fan expert opinion on message boards.

He doesn't care what anyone says. He honestly probably thinks he's better then moorahzack tho

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I think Larkin is going to be this team's uncontested best player from day 1 next season. Heck, he may be there already... didn't think Pav and Z would decline so rapidly. They can still think elite but their old bodies are really starting to let them down.

As for Howard, I saw the Wings when they came into Winnipeg on Dec 29. Soon as I saw Howard's name as the starter I had a strong, sinking feeling (as in, almost certain) it was going to be a loss. And no surprise it was, I think Howard let in 4 goals if memory serves. And I don't think he's won a game since...

That's always been the problem with Jimmy, he's weak mentally. He folds under pressure and adversity. Instead of facing increased competition against another team in the playoffs, he's now competing against Mrazek. And Mrazek, more than anything else, is a big game goalie. He thrives under that pressure. In hindsight, it should come as no surprise that Mrazek solidified himself as the starter so quickly.

Anyone know when the team comes back from vacation?

I like your thinking. :laugh:

Yep, nothing to see here! Can't wait for that All-Star break to end!

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Face it, as bad as our defense is, our scoring is worse. We could win with our D and Mrazek, and more then 2 goals a night. It's really simple. Z and D lost a step, so with them losing that's step teams focus on Tats and a goose. Hence there lack of production. We need to add an offensive threat to win now, but even with that lapse, we should sell goose for a dman, so we have a future. Tats and goose both have less points then a lot of dman available so it is literally only upgrading. I love Jurco, but I'm sick of hearing how he is still young and tons of potential to be a 40 point guy, those are easy to find. Sell guys like jurco and goose why we can. We have too many passengers we need guys who can lead in points not be 40-50 points off the league leader.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Face it, as bad as our defense is, our scoring is worse. We could win with our D and Mrazek, and more then 2 goals a night. It's really simple. Z and D lost a step, so with them losing that's step teams focus on Tats and a goose. Hence there lack of production. We need to add an offensive threat to win now, but even with that lapse, we should sell goose for a dman, so we have a future. Tats and goose both have less points then a lot of dman available so it is literally only upgrading. I love Jurco, but I'm sick of hearing how he is still young and tons of potential to be a 40 point guy, those are easy to find. Sell guys like jurco and goose why we can. We have too many passengers we need guys who can lead in points not be 40-50 points off the league leader.

The defense is not good enough to win. This team is 3-5 players and the rest are dead weight most nights.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

Yeah he's been really good lately. Dang good corsi-wise as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad