Post-Game Talk: Wings' Moms ruin everything

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
So what are you complaining about? They'll likely get the same minutes regardless. There can't be 5 forwards on the 4th line getting jurco's 8 ES minutes.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Weird, given that on paper Kronwall, Green, DDK, Quincey, and Marchenko aren't bad. The only truly and consistently horrible D-men are Ericsson, Smith, and Kindl. With one elite first pairing defenseman we should be in the top third methinks.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't remember anyone complaining about Howard's contract when he signed it. Am I wrong?

I think it's pretty dumb to use hindsight to judge a contract. If he deserved it at the time and later ended up un-deserving it you just have to chalk that up to sometimes-****-happens-and-that's-why-people-negotiate-long-contracts.

On the other hand if a contract like Abby's starts to suck in a couple years we can all fold our hands and nod condescendingly in Holland's general direction.

i'm pretty sure that i mentioned that i was no fan of that contract. especially the clauses.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

yeah, I don't get some of the play usage, either. Especially when the guy you're looking at to give a line "identity" is Joakim Andersson, who is as vanilla as it gets. I mean, if we were putting in a guy who brings something like a big physical game or something, I could sort of see an argument, but he doesn't. And if we're going to lose, I'd rather lose going with skill.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I would agree in the sense that our D isn't good enough to win a cup, but the only reason we are in a playoff spot is because of the goals we are keeping out not the goals we are scoring. We win 1 goal games that are 3-2, 2-1, and so on. Nothing more then 3, so as bad as our D is, our offense and their lack of scoring some how is still worse.

Interesting thoughts, but wildly unpopular here. 8/10 posters repeat the same mantra-"we need a #1 D", or for a while it was a "RH PMD" which we now have in Green but our D is supposedly worse than ever. The argument is that the D can't properly get the puck up ice and our forwards have to be overly responsible to cover for the D- therefore we have trouble scoring.

It's true what you say I don't think people consider it enough. We have the most 1 goal games in the league and it's been that way for seasons. I think of the Boston and Nashville series just completely shut down. It's obvious we don't have the offensive firepower to score enough goals to win consistently.

We need to get stronger at forward and defense. Looking to next season I don't think it matters which is improved upon, but something has to change.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
"analysis" :laugh:
You cannot sit there and tell me that Pulkkinen is getting a comparable role that Nyquist or Tatar were given when they finally reached the NHL. You can argue, but it's just not the same.
This quote is basically a joke since it fails to realize that both Nyquist and Tatar got a pretty rough treatment and both had to work their way up from 3rd/4th lines without getting many favors.

Pulkkinen is mis-used when he plays on a 4th line with guys like Andersson and Jurco? Anyone remember Nyquist's linemates when he first came up? Joakim something and ... Brunner was it? Such an amazing opportunity for Nyquist, wow.

This is the same logic used for Jurco, where all his failings are the way the coach is using him, his linemates, his icetime. When is the player held accountable? If Pulkkinen wants to play he can start by hitting the net on his shot. A rocket shot that hits the glass may get the fans excited, but sooner or later you gotta start hitting the net.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Richards is on pace for 24 points and Helm is not far behind with 22 points.

Those studly top six wingers. All those battles being won in the corners by Helm is really paying dividends. Helm's speed is super useful too. Look at him go!!!!

Also it feels like Ericsson makes more mistakes the fewer minutes he plays.

Umm yeah. Actually you've got this one wrong, our offensive studs are Jurco and Pulkkinen! Don't forget the scoring beasts and game changers Nyquist and Tatar!

I won't try explaining anymore after this why Helm, a $2.2 million players has had to be used on the 2nd line because the rest of our forwards look like boys against top 6 competition. HF can lump him together with Richards as in every discussion and they can both go to the 4th line for all I care. We've seen it before but I truly want to see it again- Put Tatar and Pulkkinen back on the 2nd line. :nod:

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Umm yeah. Actually you've got this one wrong, our offensive studs are Jurco and Pulkkinen! Don't forget the scoring beasts and game changers Nyquist and Tatar!

I won't try explaining anymore after this why Helm, a $2.2 million players has had to be used on the 2nd line because the rest of our forwards look like boys against top 6 competition. HF can lump him together with Richards as in every discussion and they can both go to the 4th line for all I care. We've seen it before but I truly want to see it again- Put Tatar and Pulkkinen back on the 2nd line. :nod:

So either the Wings prospect pool is garbage or the players are being horribly misused.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
So either the Wings prospect pool is garbage or the players are being horribly misused.

I don't know if it's garbage but the organization must be overvaluing our prospects. I put the blame of our mediocrity on Holland more than coaching for sure. There are 100's of options or possible directions mangement could have taken but this is what we have.

I put all the blame on Nyquist! No seriously this is the biggest problem- that a freshly signed 4.75 million supposed young leader can't seem to make a positive impact when played in the top 6. I did say early in the season why not Gus and Tatar on the 2nd line? Is it Blashill being too stubborn to give them (or Nyquist) time to gel there? Nyquist must be in the top 6. Let him and the Red Wings sink or swim based on that contract.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
"analysis" :laugh:

This quote is basically a joke since it fails to realize that both Nyquist and Tatar got a pretty rough treatment and both had to work their way up from 3rd/4th lines without getting many favors.

Pulkkinen is mis-used when he plays on a 4th line with guys like Andersson and Jurco? Anyone remember Nyquist's linemates when he first came up? Joakim something and ... Brunner was it? Such an amazing opportunity for Nyquist, wow.

This is the same logic used for Jurco, where all his failings are the way the coach is using him, his linemates, his icetime. When is the player held accountable? If Pulkkinen wants to play he can start by hitting the net on his shot. A rocket shot that hits the glass may get the fans excited, but sooner or later you gotta start hitting the net.

I'm with you. If you're the opinion that Pulks is/was misused, there are better ways to prove your point than referring to that weak, meaningless article.
They've done better than that.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Sigh, we literally are now in a position that the only Reason we control our own destiny is because philly has less ROW??? Seriously, one day we're fighting for 1st in the division, next could be the backseat of a playoff race....

And in a week we could easily be back in that first place battle.

I feel too many are losing sight of the fact that the NHL is a parity driven league. Given that, we are in much better shape than some will lead you to believe.

Edit: Prior to puck drop I predicated Howard will make several people look silly. I missed the game but it seems I am the only one he made to look silly. Still, I'd rather be the wrong optimist than the right pessimist. Seems most on here would rather the latter :dunno:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad