Helene St. James Wings Interested in Boyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
This was obvious, obviously, haha.

I don't mind Boyle. I mean, he can't be as bad as Q and Kindl were last season, right? Even if Sharks fans hammer him, I don't think he'll be that bad here.

If we sign Boyle, promote either Marchenko or Ouellet (I prefer XO because I think he'll be a stud), and resign Alfie... wouldn't be all too shabby. We get two good puck moving defenseman and a steady scorer in Alfie. All while the kids stay in the lineup.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Stralman wants 4 years or more, so he's out.

Niskanen wants a long-term deal and will likely cost too much, plus he hasn't proven a lot, so he's likely out.

After that, it's Diaz, Fayne, Gilbert and Flood, and other slim pickings.

Boyle is really the perfect stop-gap. He won't want more than a 2 year deal, he's a veteran that brings experience (other than Kronwall and to a lesser extent, Ericsson, the D is very young). You saw how long it took Smith to adapt, think about it when Sproul/Ouellet are expected to play big minutes if the Red Wings don't sign a RHD.

The only in-house option that could step-in a top-4 spot seems to be Marchenko, who actually played in the KHL against near NHL competition.

But maybe I'm getting in too deep. :laugh:

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Can't argue too much. Upgrades our puck movement and doesn't block our prospects like Niskanen does.

Kronner, Smith
Dekeyser, Boyle
E, Marchenko/Ouellet
Lashoff

With injuries the other Ouellet/Marchenko, Backman, Jensen and Sproul get some games.

I'd much prefer just one year though I know he is adamant about 2.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
Can't argue too much. Upgrades our puck movement and doesn't block our prospects like Niskanen does.

Kronner, Smith
Dekeyser, Boyle
E, Marchenko/Ouellet
Lashoff

With injuries the other Ouellet/Marchenko, Backman, Jensen and Sproul get some games.

I'd much prefer just one year though I know he is adamant about 2.

What about Big E?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Niskanen wants a long-term deal and will likely cost too much, plus he hasn't proven a lot, so he's likely out.

Niskanen has always been a talented puck mover, but I hate his defensive game. Just hate it. If he's going to log significant minutes, he's going to get exposed.

He's basically what we hoped Kyle Quincey would provide offensively, with all the same question marks with the rest of his game.

All of that said, I gladly welcome Boyle instead. :nod:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Wouldnt mind a year or two of Boyle at all especially if we can dump Q and trade Kindl

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm fully on board with this.

I know this fanbase is in love with the youth movement, but you need guys that actually have experience too. Boyle isn't what he once was, but he's the kind of player we need for the next two years until we get a good look at some of the bright defensive prospects.

There really isn't any need to throw them into the fire just yet. Give it time.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Someone is going to pay Niskanen twice what he's worth long term, really hoping it's not us.

I've always liked Boyle but I'm nervous. Nobody who watches the Sharks wants him anymore.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
For those that want Niskanen... Let's not forget Quincey put up 38 points not too long ago -- without Crosby and Malkin.

Chip39

Apr 19, 2013
Someone is going to pay Niskanen twice what he's worth long term, really hoping it's not us.

I've always liked Boyle but I'm nervous. Nobody who watches the Sharks wants him anymore.

Players that are not spectacular tend to lead to these feelings. Two of our top scorers from last year people trash constantly.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Oh Kenny. So predictable...

I don't hate it, but given that the Sharks need defensive help every bit as much as we do and Doug Wilson made it clear he wouldn't even consider bringing Boyle back, well, that should make everyone nervous.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington

I don't hate it, but given that the Sharks need defensive help every bit as much as we do and Doug Wilson made it clear he wouldn't even consider bringing Boyle back, well, that should make everyone nervous.

A lot of posters have been calling to trade for Edler while most Canuck fans want to get rid of him fwiw.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

The Sharks also have an excess of RH defencemen and several guys good at moving the puck.

We lack both.

As long as its not a long term deal I think Boyle is a far better fit than any of the other defenceman available including those reportedly available via trade.

The only ones I liked better were Green and Byfuglien and apparently both are not available.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
For those that want Niskanen... Let's not forget Quincey put up 38 points not too long ago -- without Crosby and Malkin.

Niskanen was tabbed as an offensive D-man when he was coming up. Sure he has holes in his game, but this isn't far off the ceiling player that was attached to him. He is inconsistent though to date, personally I think this is going to be a lot like Carle. Nobody wanted to pay Carle's worth across the board, most were scared, he was a byproduct of Pronger.

That deal doesn't look so bad, it isn't a steal but he is a good player. That is kind of what I see happening with Niskanen.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'm also now in the don't want Niskanen camp. I'd rather get a short term guy and believe that the kids will develop than handing out the term Matty will get.

If we're throwing money i'd rather go for Stralman, who's nowhere near the offensive puck mover, but better at moving the puck out of the defensive zone and much better defensively. Stralman is basically the opposite of Kindl in terms of poise with the puck in the defensive zone. A real good quality of his.

Boyle scares me, but I'd rather go 2 years with him than a lengthy deal with Niskanen.

Hopefully one of these kids really blooms fast. It's definitely possible and would be huge for this team.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
A lot of posters have been calling to trade for Edler while most Canuck fans want to get rid of him fwiw.

Part of that is the Hakan-Sweden factor. If we never knew the story of how Wings' scouts were targeting Edler before Vancouver scooped him up on a whim we wouldn't covet him nearly as much.

Canuck fans are disgusted with half their roster, and who can blame them. It's telling that management has not traded him thus far. I'm sure there have been fair offers.

Sadekuuro

Aug 23, 2005
Cascadia
Players that are not spectacular tend to lead to these feelings. Two of our top scorers from last year people trash constantly.

I don't think that really applies in the case of Boyle and the Sharks. He's been the anchor of their blue line for many years and is pretty much the best defenseman they've ever had, so surely they'd give him the benefit of the doubt. And yet I still haven't seen anyone who watches San Jose who didn't want to wash their hands of him. That obviously isn't the final word--that's up to Boyle himself--but it's a major red flag.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm fully on board with this.

I know this fanbase is in love with the youth movement, but you need guys that actually have experience too. Boyle isn't what he once was, but he's the kind of player we need for the next two years until we get a good look at some of the bright defensive prospects.

There really isn't any need to throw them into the fire just yet. Give it time.

Dan Cleary sure has a lot of experience, we should bring him back too. Yes, it's a bit of a strawman, but it's essentially the same type of situation. Both players are getting older and slower, and less useful. While Dan Boyle is still an NHLer, unlike Cleary, he's regressing quickly and hard.

If it's a one year deal, I can cope with it.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi

Thank you :handclap: . People will/would try to spin this like a Rafalski type signing but the problem with that is we don't have a rock like Lidas was to not make his weaknesses getting exposed. Sadly this is a typical Holland move of the past 5 years or so. Not that ufa is stocked with good defenders this year but this is a move people will be hopeful that it works out but by about the 30 game mark quite a few people will be calling for his head on a block with a guilliotine being raised up.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Holland will resign Cleary and Alfredsson, sign Boyle in FA and call it a offseason

He will go on about how much "depth" the organization has with these signings and stuff all the young talent to the minors

He is to conservative as a GM to do anything creative that would help move this team forward, leading to another disappointing offseason

Takes you crystal ball and shakes it. I hope that changes some things. :sarcasm:

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Ken Holland is actually obsessed with old players. I'm so over this.

Im at the point where id take any arm chair hfboard GM over this clown. Let a gem walk in Alquist without even giving him a legitimate chance, could have resigned him for pennies. But no, lets go after some has been and give him the golden parachute. What have we come to, how many more stupid moves until Holland is finally canned! Can em and bring back Stevie or Nill to replace him, please for all that is right in this good hockey world.

ProbertKocur

Feb 3, 2014
Detroit
Im at the point where id take any arm chair hfboard GM over this clown. Let a gem walk in Alquist without even giving him a legitimate chance, could have resigned him for pennies. But no, lets go after some has been and give him the golden parachute. What have we come to, how many more stupid moves until Holland is finally canned! Can em and bring back Stevie or Nill to replace him, please for all that is right in this good hockey world.

Almquist a gem? Do you follow this team?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad