Helene St. James Wings Interested in Boyle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
They only count players over 200 pounds of course.

But seriously, they remove players that played less than I believe 10 NHL games. Normal average would be all players who played any games.

Okay makes sense, I had never heard of it put quite that way before. Because the last I looked there was like 7 teams that were older then Detroit. I believe New Jersey being the oldest.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Okay makes sense, I had never heard of it put quite that way before. Because the last I looked there was like 7 teams that were older then Detroit. I believe New Jersey being the oldest.

Yeah, that's the unweighted average, with the rotating door from the AHL last season it pulled the team's average down around 2 years from 30.03 to 27.3.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I thought that Holland only wanted someone on a short term deal 1-2 years because Sproul, Marchenko and Ouellet should be ready by then. But at the same time I had heard that Holland was thinking about exploring the trade market because he wanted a longer term solution for the top 4 hence Edler, Yandle and Ehrhoff were mentioned.

holland has been looking for this for years now thats why it baffles me why so mnay guys want boyle

holland has been linked to edler, yandle, bogo, jaybo, ehrhoff, byflugien, suter, etc because he gets it or at least i hope he does, top pairing dmen dont grow on treees and yet are so instrumental to winning whereas depth guys are a dime a dozen

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I wish the organization was better with trading. It always seems like a boom or bust situation with Detroit, and no marginal improvements.

We were in on Nash when he was leaving Columbus, Alex Edler, Ryan Kesler, Jay Bouwmeester, etc.

And someone like Nikitin gets dealt for a 5th rounder. He is significantly better than Kindl and Lashoff... probably even better than Ericsson.

But I guess when we did try to get marginally better, we forked out a 1st for Kyle Quincey. It's just frustrating.

Although just about anyone is better than Kindl and Lashoff, there is no chance he is better than Ericsson.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
holland has been looking for this for years now thats why it baffles me why so mnay guys want boyle

holland has been linked to edler, yandle, bogo, jaybo, ehrhoff, byflugien, suter, etc because he gets it or at least i hope he does, top pairing dmen dont grow on treees and yet are so instrumental to winning whereas depth guys are a dime a dozen

Top pairing Dmen also cost an arm and a leg BECAUSE they don't grow on trees.

You want a guy like Yandle or Big Buff, you are giving up at least Nyquist+ for them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wish the organization was better with trading. It always seems like a boom or bust situation with Detroit, and no marginal improvements.

We were in on Nash when he was leaving Columbus, Alex Edler, Ryan Kesler, Jay Bouwmeester, etc.

And someone like Nikitin gets dealt for a 5th rounder. He is significantly better than Kindl and Lashoff... probably even better than Ericsson.

But I guess when we did try to get marginally better, we forked out a 1st for Kyle Quincey. It's just frustrating.

What they gave up in the trade for Nikitin was reasonable, maybe.

The contract they signed him to was pretty awful.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!

You want a guy like Yandle or Big Buff, you are giving up at least Nyquist+ for them.

The thing that's frustrating with this is that when you look at the guys who end up being traded for the top pairing d-men, it isn't always an AMAZING return for the teams giving them up.

Look at what Calgary got for Jay Bouwmeester in the end... a 1st round pick (Emile Poirier... could turn out alright), Mark Cundari, and Reto Berra... it doesn't look like Cundari is expected to make the team next year at 25, and Berra isn't even with the club anymore. Basically, it seems like they traded Bouwmeester for Poirier and a 2nd round pick.

Why does it always seem like Detroit would have to give up prospects like Tatar or Nyquist (in recent years), two guys who have went on to be integral pieces of Detroit's current roster as of '13-14, but other teams are able to snag a d-man that is pretty good for a fairly low offer? I have heard the argument that Detroit's prospects are a bit more of a question mark than other teams, but Cundari was an undrafted free agent, Berra was a 4th round pick.

Of course, this was just one example, and obviously the market is different currently than it was when Detroit was in on Bouwmeester, but the point stays the same. I know Detroit was unwilling to give up the 1st rounder (thank god, Mantha is so awesome), but that return was nowhere near the talent level of the guys that teams would need to justify making the trade with Detroit.

crashman

By weighted average Detroit is tied for oldest team in the NHL at 30 years old.

Really? Even after you count the departure of Bert, Cleary, Sammy, Quincey?

NJ has to be the oldest team with Jagr, Elias, Salavador, Zidlicky and Ryder.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

i dont think it would cost us nyquist plus anything substantial

i do think something based on tatar, the 15th overall and pulkinnen could get it done

i cant remember the last time any player of any age of any position in the last 20 years was traded for "an arm and a leg"

if we're going to call setoguchi or dubinsky or michalek substantial then we have to not only remember who they were at time of trade but also who they're now which means losing the equivalent player isnt a big deal because in a few years they will be worthless

it has to be both sides of the coin, not just the convienent side we want

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Yeah, that's the unweighted average, with the rotating door from the AHL last season it pulled the team's average down around 2 years from 30.03 to 27.3.

Current average age is 27.1 years old with a 23-man roster, all signed players + unsigned RFAs, Marchenko and Ferraro up.

If we sign Alfie and burn Jurco and Ferraro to AHL, the average will rise to 27.8 years.

If we sign both Alfie and Boyle, and send also Marchenko down in AHL, the average will rise to 28.6 years old.

Those +30 year-old averags have to include Bertuzzis and Samuelssons from last season, and that's not the case anymore. False analyze.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Current average age is 27.1 years old with a 23-man roster, all signed players + unsigned RFAs, Marchenko and Ferraro up.

If we sign Alfie and burn Jurco and Ferraro to AHL, the average will rise to 27.8 years.

If we sign both Alfie and Boyle, and send also Marchenko down in AHL, the average will rise to 28.6 years old.

Those +30 year-old averags have to include Bertuzzis and Samuelssons from last season, and that's not the case anymore. False analyze.

Add Cleary.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
i dont think it would cost us nyquist plus anything substantial

i do think something based on tatar, the 15th overall and pulkinnen could get it done

i cant remember the last time any player of any age of any position in the last 20 years was traded for "an arm and a leg"

if we're going to call setoguchi or dubinsky or michalek substantial then we have to not only remember who they were at time of trade but also who they're now which means losing the equivalent player isnt a big deal because in a few years they will be worthless

it has to be both sides of the coin, not just the convienent side we want

You are talking about guys who aren't really being shopped. If they aren't shopping them they have no motivation to move them for anything less than substantial.

Bouwmeester was going to be moved and look what they turned down for him.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well Steve Yzerman fleeced him for a 1st for Kyle Quincey...so yeah. :facepalm:

Colorado turned down the 1st round pick for Quincey. That was the whole point of the 3-way deal.

Of course in hindsight Quincey hasn't lived up to expectations, but that doesn't rewrite history into Yzerman fleecing Holland when he was doing him a favor. Yzerman gave up Downie, a very productive young agitator at the time, to made that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->