Wings in the standings?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Same as last year.

But with new format it would be 3rd to 5th.

If I had to bet on it, I'll say they make it to the playoffs.

But injury or injuries to Euro Twins, Howie, Kronwall; and maybe Wings stay out.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I say first. Bruins got worse, Leafs got worse, Canadiens replaced Ryder with Briere, Bolts aren't playing Drouin, Sabres are... hehehe... bad. I think the Panthers are the only other team in the division that got noticeably better.

Number 9*

Same as last year.

But with new format it would be 3rd to 5th.

If I had to bet on it, I'll say they make it to the playoffs.

But injury or injuries to Euro Twins, Howie, Kronwall; and maybe Wings stay out.

Why would they step back? Whether people want to admit it or not other than the top teams the east it is much easier conference.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
If boston has a hangover first 20-30 games or so it wouldn't suprise me for us to take our division. Ottawa I believe lost a bit swapping a good young player for ryan. I think they finish third but I don't expect there goalie to play lights out like he did last year. Figure montreal/toronto fight for 4th.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm fairly confident the Wings will be in the playoffs. All the teams in the Atlantic (with the exception of Boston) have a decent amount of question marks, but Detroit has fewer than Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto IMO.

I say first. Bruins got worse, Leafs got worse, Canadiens replaced Ryder with Briere, Bolts aren't playing Drouin, Sabres are... hehehe... bad. I think the Panthers are the only other team in the division that got noticeably better.

I'm not entirely sure how the Bruins and Leafs got much worse. Boston lost Ference I guess but they have good depth on defense. Seguin/Eriksson is at worst a lateral move and might actually favour them - at least in the short term. The Leafs traded Grabovski, MacArthur and Frattin for Bolland, Clarkson and Raymond, while adding a second high potential young goalie with roughly the same defense (Ranger instead of O'Byrne). I don't know if they improved at all but I seriously doubt that can be considered much worse on paper.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
2nd in Division, 3rd at East. Playoffs a different story.

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Ottawa
----------
4. Montreal
5. Toronto
----------
6. Tampa Bay
7. Buffalo (2nd last in conference)
8. Florida (last in conference)

1. Pittsburgh (1st in conference)
2. NY Rangers
3. Washington
--------------
4. New Jersey
5. Philadelphia
--------------
6. NY Islanders
7. Columbus
8. Carolina

Metropolitan is a pretty tight division, with smaller differences (after Pens). Atlantic has two very weak links in Buffalo and Florida.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Why would they step back? Whether people want to admit it or not other than the top teams the east it is much easier conference.

I didn't say they take a step back. I'm thinking around the same. Wings were 7th last year and made the playoffs in last game of the season.

Arguably yes, west is deeper. But Wings suck and don't seem to care playing against bad teams well so that evens out.

I see Wings being little better on paper but new div. and conf. brings q-marks.

D is still bad, on paper. Less depth than last year.

Not much cap space for moves.

Didn't miss key player last year (don't count Helm as one).

Olympics, many of Wings key player will be there.

Yeah what a mistake Bolts made when they cut forward who was around 11th best F at the camp.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
2nd in Division, 3rd at East. Playoffs a different story.

1. Boston
2. Detroit
3. Ottawa
----------
4. Montreal
5. Toronto
----------
6. Tampa Bay
7. Buffalo (2nd last in conference)
8. Florida (last in conference)

1. Pittsburgh (1st in conference)
2. NY Rangers
3. Washington
--------------
4. New Jersey
5. Philadelphia
--------------
6. NY Islanders
7. Columbus
8. Carolina

Metropolitan is a pretty tight division, with smaller differences (after Pens). Atlantic has two very weak links in Buffalo and Florida.

TSN has exact same rankings in Atlantic division.

Metropolitan is almost the same except, 4, 5, 6 and 7 are Philly, NYI, Jackets and NJ, respectively.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I'm not entirely sure how the Bruins and Leafs got much worse. Boston lost Ference I guess but they have good depth on defense. Seguin/Eriksson is at worst a lateral move and might actually favour them - at least in the short term. The Leafs traded Grabovski, MacArthur and Frattin for Bolland, Clarkson and Raymond, while adding a second high potential young goalie with roughly the same defense (Ranger instead of O'Byrne). I don't know if they improved at all but I seriously doubt that can be considered much worse on paper.

Boston: Just look at who they exchanged for what. Boston traded Seguin for Eriksson. I mean no slight to Eriksson, but that is a definite downgrade. Boston exchanged Nathan Horton for Jerome Iginla. That is also a downgrade. They got worse. As for the Leafs? You overpayed for Bozak, who isn't very good at all. You tossed out Grabovski, who is good. Clarkson is a fraud. Raymond is meh. Frattin was decent, but you tossed him for two goons. Your defense is good at moving the puck, but it's only really good at moving the puck.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Boston: Just look at who they exchanged for what. Boston traded Seguin for Eriksson. I mean no slight to Eriksson, but that is a definite downgrade. Boston exchanged Nathan Horton for Jerome Iginla. That is also a downgrade. They got worse. As for the Leafs? You overpayed for Bozak, who isn't very good at all. You tossed out Grabovski, who is good. Clarkson is a fraud. Raymond is meh. Frattin was decent, but you tossed him for two goons. Your defense is good at moving the puck, but it's only really good at moving the puck.

How exactly is that a downgrade?

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I think Seguin will be better than Eriksson.

But now, Eriksson is ahead and definitely fits the Bruins better.

There was a good vid on this, 'behind the Bruins' or whatever. Showed after the season was over, management was talking about Seguin and what they should do with him. Disappointing playoff performances, talent, softness, 'babysitting him' all come up in it.

They definitely wanted Horton back, though. But Horton is out till Dec or Jan so Iggy likely helps the more in reg. season this year.

Number 9*

I didn't say they take a step back. I'm thinking around the same. Wings were 7th last year and made the playoffs in last game of the season.

Arguably yes, west is deeper. But Wings suck and don't seem to care playing against bad teams well so that evens out.

I see Wings being little better on paper but new div. and conf. brings q-marks.

D is still bad, on paper. Less depth than last year.

Not much cap space for moves.

Didn't miss key player last year (don't count Helm as one).

Olympics, many of Wings key player will be there.

Yeah what a mistake Bolts made when they cut forward who was around 11th best F at the camp.

My point is this! The experience that Nyquists of the DRW got in the playoffs makes them better. They did take Chicago to OT in game 7. And sent Anaheim home winning game 6 in OT which is huge pressure and then winning game 7 on the road to the 2 seed.

Oh BTW Detroit had the 3rd most lost man games lost during the regular season last year. Please research before making a statement.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Hockey is not always about stats, FYI.

Statistics are a measurement based on accumulated numbers that occur during the season. In other words, statistics are basically the extension of the eye-test. What you see is recorded in the stat book. To say that any sport is not always about stats is not right. [mod] Even basic box score stats like GF/20 have Seguin higher than Eriksson. I don't even need to go into HARO and HART. Seguin is a better player than Eriksson, and getting rid of him was a terrible mistake on the part of Boston. Kudos to Jim Nill for capitalizing on that.

And teddy purcell and pascal Dupis are 11th and 12th. And thats 5 on 5 goals. did I miss a NHL memo where they're not counting PP goals now?

I don't know about Teddy Purcell. Sometimes a player can have a standout year... That's not impossible. Todd Bertuzzi was one of the best forwards in 11-12... I doubt that ever happens again. Dupuis, on the other hand, has turned into a very good player somehow in his mid 30's. In any case, standout players don't refute statistics the way you are attempting to argue it.

Last edited by a moderator:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...0&teamid=0&type=goals&sort=HAROp&sortdir=DESC

I'll let you find Eriksson and Seguin on that list. I'll just let you know, however, that Seguin is always higher than Eriksson on that list where the stats matter.

Who is first in that category?

CHRIS KUNITZ! He must be the best player in the league! Also Benoit Pouliot is clearly better than Pavel Datsyuk.

Check how Seguin did in playoffs. And stats without Bergeron. Now Eriksson gets to play with an actual #1C while Seguin would have to be it.

Seguin got his stats playing on he best two way line of hockey. While being the third wheel on that line for past year. And being demoted to third line bc of it. While Eriksson has had to play on a team with no real #1C or #1D.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Statistics are a measurement based on accumulated numbers that occur during the season. In other words, statistics are basically the extension of the eye-test. What you see is recorded in the stat book. To say that any sport is not always about stats is not right. [mod] Even basic box score stats like GF/20 have Seguin higher than Eriksson. I don't even need to go into HARO and HART. Seguin is a better player than Eriksson, and getting rid of him was a terrible mistake on the part of Boston. Kudos to Jim Nill for capitalizing on that.

You realize that the teams they play on have a lot to do with those statistics, right? And Dallas has had a terrible team for years? Or are you ignoring that?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Stars fans like that Seguin is on the team because he's a legitimate top 6 young center and they haven't had that in years and years. So it filled a huge need now and for the future.

But I know many that think Eriksson is the better player now and I'm in agreement with that. Eriksson brings so much to the game with his hockey IQ and positioning, along with that natural scoring touch. He's a winger that makes his linemates better and that's a rare gift.

Quite frankly I'm so annoyed Boston got him, because I believe he's the type of guy that puts them over the top.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Third in the division behind Boston and Ottawa. Think Detroit and Ottawa are a toss up,though. Either one could finish in front of the other. As far as conference goes probably finish behind Boston and Pittsburgh for sure and perhaps New York.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad