GDT: Wings @ flames 9:00 pm et 1/18/19

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Fun game after the first 10 minutes or so.
Larkin was in boss mode, best player on the ice tonight! Hrudey and his broadcast partner raved about Larkin before the puck dropped and didn't stop until the broadcast ended.
Another strong game for Nyquist and lil Bert looks good on that top line.
Despite giving up 5, I thought Howard looked good.
DeKeyser had a good game, I thought.
Rough outing for Cholo.
AA just needs to do what he does best: Puck hog, drive the net and stop thinking so much. He doesn't have the IQ to be a set up man or to get creative; when he goes full out score-a-goal -mode he is most dangerous, use that skill and speed instead of that brain and creativity. I love when he puck hogs.

Ottawa won tonight and are on a bit of a hot streak. Hope the Wings can keep being competitive and fun to watch even when they lose.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I mean Larkin is almost a point-per-game player on our terrible team, so you can at least justify him being there. Howard should not. His stats are nowhere near "all-star" level. I know when they announced the rosters, his stats were much better, but I personally find it embarrassing that Howard will be at the game. Frederik Andersen is not an all-star, but Howard is? Laughable, NHL.

Considering the D in front of him and the many quality chances he faces every night, he has definitely performed at an all star level this year. If you are a bottom end team and posting a .920 or so save percentage that is awesome. Larkin is awesome, but without the 1 for each team rule, he still would not have made the game. Howard didn't take a roster spot from Larkin. Marner didn't even make it and he is outscoring Larkin, as much as I love Larkin, he wouldn't have made it over other guys like Skinner and Marner.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Apologist. Cool. I get it.
No apologizing for anyone. The Red Wings played great tonight. Kept pace with one of the league's top offenses. No one should be complaining about the effort. They simply don't have the talent to match the Flames. They lose this game 9 out of 10 times.

Reactions: avssuc

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Cholo had a pretty brutal night, wouldn't be surprised if he sits in the press box for the next one.

Not that I agree, just I think that is what is coming now.

Larkin was fantastic, Mantha is skating well consistently now since coming off injury.

Nyquist and Larkin really do have a pretty unreal connection. We cannot re-sign Nyquist though, I just cannot get behind that unless we at least move him at the deadline.

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Fun game after the first 10 minutes or so.
Larkin was in boss mode, best player on the ice tonight! Hrudey and his broadcast partner raved about Larkin before the puck dropped and didn't stop until the broadcast ended.
Another strong game for Nyquist and lil Bert looks good on that top line.
Despite giving up 5, I thought Howard looked good.
DeKeyser had a good game, I thought.
Rough outing for Cholo.
AA just needs to do what he does best: Puck hog, drive the net and stop thinking so much. He doesn't have the IQ to be a set up man or to get creative; when he goes full out score-a-goal -mode he is most dangerous, use that skill and speed instead of that brain and creativity. I love when he puck hogs.

Ottawa won tonight and are on a bit of a hot streak. Hope the Wings can keep being competitive and fun to watch even when they lose.

Good summary. IMO AA should review video of every time he's lost the puck trying to deke through defenders. It works like, maybe 20% of the time? Someone like Gudreau will move laterally to maintain possession, or even chip it in as a last resort. After 2 seasons AA can't get it through his head that going one-on-one rarely works. Far too many turnovers from him.

I can't believe it took Blashill something like 8 weeks to dump Abdelkader off Larkin's line. Bertuzzi has way better energy.

The drive wide by Nyquist and pass back which Larkin banged in was brilliant. Green's goal was a thing of beauty too.

I liked Ogrodnick on the Detroit broadcast. Nothing against Ozzi, just nice to hear a different personality. One thing Elliot said was right on: the Wings played like they hoped to win, the Flames played like they knew they could win.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
ber3zzi quietly had two points last night. Hes really clicking on that line.

Bertuzzi is turning into the player Abdelkader was supposed to be/was for a season or 2. He plays less of a grinder game than Abdelkader though and is definitely more suited to a skilled top line. Abdelkader was more physical, Bertuzzi more of a pest but both are rough and tumble players. I think Bertuzzi could be a 60 point, top line pest. Perfect for a playoff series.

As for last nights game, thats a perfect tank loss, 2 goals for Larkin, a goal for Mantha, 2 points for Bertuzzi, 2 points for Nyquist and his trade value.

Larkin coulda had 5 points. 8 shots, 16 corsi attempts individually, won over 50% of his draws. Hes an absolute stud this year

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Cholo had a pretty brutal night, wouldn't be surprised if he sits in the press box for the next one.

Not that I agree, just I think that is what is coming now.

Larkin was fantastic, Mantha is skating well consistently now since coming off injury.

Nyquist and Larkin really do have a pretty unreal connection. We cannot re-sign Nyquist though, I just cannot get behind that unless we at least move him at the deadline.

a brutal season for him! hard to watch our top three pairs especially on the pk. Wing's number one issue.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
a brutal season for him! hard to watch our top three pairs especially on the pk. Wing's number one issue.

Cholowski has been on the ice for a total of 11:04 seconds in 47 games, I don't think he is what ails our PK. Though if he could pk that would certainly help replace someone.

I expect Cholowski will sit next game with Hronek in. Tough too, because it is the BC swing and my guess is his family has the Canucks tickets. That should be interesting if this is Blashill's plan. But he told us Hronek would play on the trip and Cholo was miserable last night. I don't condone sitting either of those guys at this point in what our season has become but we will see what happens.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Cholowski has been on the ice for a total of 11:04 seconds in 47 games, I don't think he is what ails our PK. Though if he could pk that would certainly help replace someone.

I expect Cholowski will sit next game with Hronek in. Tough too, because it is the BC swing and my guess is his family has the Canucks tickets. That should be interesting if this is Blashill's plan. But he told us Hronek would play on the trip and Cholo was miserable last night. I don't condone sitting either of those guys at this point in what our season has become but we will see what happens.

1. did not say he was a problem on the PK.
2. Bring somebody up or find somebody who can actually play some 5x5 d and possibly strengthen the pk a bit and that is not the name you mentioned.

Watching a d man cough the puck up twice in his own zone ,followed by another mistake when they go to the net with his puck and score off his turnover is just hard to watch. Everybody makes mistakes, three in a row on one play is unusual. When a player consistently makes the same mistakes over a twenty game period time to adjust. Young d have a hard time adjusting their brain speed to the speed of the nhl game. Some never do. I do think the kid has a future. He has some skills but he needs more time to mature and work on his game.

Last edited:

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Guentzel is having a career year playing with more quality players but, Bertuzzi and Guentzel really remind of me of each other in-terms of style of play. I think this is the role he's going to mold into moving forward. I always wanted a lineup of Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha. Good blend with really smart players with vision.

I really don't like the Abdelkader comparison because I think Bertuzzi is more skilled, smarter, and honestly Abdelkader is quite a bit bigger and stronger.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Cholo has not a had a great couple of months. He seems timid and unsure. I'm sure it's just growing pains and he'll come out the other side better, but geez...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad