Post-Game Talk: Wings down Sharks 2-1

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Petr the great makes the huge save and get his reward by Abby scoring the GWG. Game wasn't pretty but I'll take it. Big points.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sorry it is late was not clear that yes I was talking about him (Thornton) getting out of the box. Perron had the puck... Have no problem with that hit and never had/have, you have to have awareness, if Thornton lets him straight though to score it is an awful play. The player had the puck he got in front of him and made full body contact. Like I said I think it is one of the worst suspensions I have seen the league hand down.

I have never minded Thornton, trying to jump Lidstrom aside. He is a guy that has gotten plenty of hate for things he hasn't deserved for years. He has chippy moments, but he is one of the better players I have had the chance to see live. Guy is a wizard with the puck and yes he has plenty of jam. He is chippy at times, but honestly so was Brendan Shanahan and some of our other favorites over the years. I have tons of respect for Jumbo Joe, will miss him when he calls it a career.

I've always liked Thornton, too. When San Jose finally decides to unload him, he's going to be a very good playoff rental for someone next year. Slot him onto a better team's second or third line, like how we used to do with Larionov, and it's an instant match-up problem. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 2-year deal somewhere on the cheap after his SJ deal is up, either. Honestly, he's a guy who could probably play into his 40s and still be effective - like Larionov.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I hate him but I'd love to see Thornton with pulu nyquist or Tatar

Or even datsyuk/z

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Did anyone notice our strategy on the PK in the first period when Miller broke his stick? It looked like we actually shifted to a 5 on 3 defense with Miller just blocking shots from in front of the net.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but I've always wondered why teams didn't always do that or shift to a 5 on 3 defense for 5 seconds and just have the guy go grab a new stick rather than just being completely useless against his man without a stick.

And what exactly did Thornton do? Have hated him since those playoff series' vs them
EDIT: Nevermind, found the video. I ******* hate that guy

Last edited:

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
W is a W but they haven't played well lately. need to pick it up.

We got sloppy at times and still aren't producing, but we played at a very good temp for 60 minutes (for what seems to be the first time all season), got to way more 50/50 pucks than we usually do and did a great job of contesting the puck carrier and limiting time and space. I think it was a big step forward.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Didnt comment last night b/c it was late, but I was so happy when Abdelkader wound up and it actually ended up in the net. Great move by Dats to break the blue line there. Mrazek was off the wall good.

We've played well on the road. I dig it.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I've always liked Thornton, too. When San Jose finally decides to unload him, he's going to be a very good playoff rental for someone next year. Slot him onto a better team's second or third line, like how we used to do with Larionov, and it's an instant match-up problem. Wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a 2-year deal somewhere on the cheap after his SJ deal is up, either. Honestly, he's a guy who could probably play into his 40s and still be effective - like Larionov.
I too think he can be effective, his style allows him that. I would definitely take him.
I hate him but I'd love to see Thornton with pulu nyquist or Tatar

Or even datsyuk/z
I think Datsyuk has singled out Thornton as a player he would like to play with. Holland does that.
And to utter a phrase I've never had to say before...Gotta keep winning to keep up with those red hot Florida Panthers!
11 wins :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Did anyone notice our strategy on the PK in the first period when Miller broke his stick? It looked like we actually shifted to a 5 on 3 defense with Miller just blocking shots from in front of the net.

Maybe I'm looking too much into it, but I've always wondered why teams didn't always do that or shift to a 5 on 3 defense for 5 seconds and just have the guy go grab a new stick rather than just being completely useless against his man without a stick.

And what exactly did Thornton do? Have hated him since those playoff series' vs them
EDIT: Nevermind, found the video. I ******* hate that guy

That is what I wondered too. It seems rather as distraction to me.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Nyquist: 8:50 ES time last night, and not hurt. This could be something.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Sadly I was tired and passed out around 10 last night. Killer game by Petr though. I love him as a player. He has the mental strength that if Howie even had 1/3 of he would have been *****ed about so much less.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Nyquist: 8:50 ES time last night, and not hurt. This could be something.

I'm just trying to figure out where it all went.

I mean, outside of Jurco, all other linemates are pretty damn close to each other when you look at just ES TOI.

I know there were a few times when Nyquist didn't really make it out with his line for the full shift due to the way changes worked out (Larkin basically had a couple shifts with Z due to this), and Blashill seemed to be putting two centers out for faceoffs a bit more than he usually does. Just seems extraordinarily low.

edit: he also didn't get time on the 4v4

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
ES TOI for forwards by lines:

Abby Z Nyquist
12:12 14:01 8:50

Helm Dats Tatar
14:18 15:38 12:01

Richards Sheahan Larkin
11:32 13:43 14:19

Miller Glendening Jurco
10:11 12:20 8:10

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Didn't we play our best hockey when E was off the top pair?

Past two games are the kinds of wins I don't like. Where Mrazek has to have a sub 1 GAA for us to win. Let's go back to those other d pairings. Smith is looking okay, Marchenko is solid. Please. So many turnovers and shots against.

Aug 6, 2012
Every defensive faceoff Blashill would put Glenny out there in place for one of the wingers. I don't really agree with it because you are really limiting your transition offense, but Gus more often than not was that winger being replaced. I think that had something to do with his TOI being so ridiculously low.

Glenny would sometimes spend an entire shift on the first line.

Aug 6, 2012

Past two games are the kinds of wins I don't like. Where Mrazek has to have a sub 1 GAA for us to win. Let's go back to those other d pairings. Smith is looking okay, Marchenko is solid. Please. So many turnovers and shots against.

Totally agree. Biggest problem with this team right now is the d pairs. They were not the problem with this team when Blash decided changed them.

I've never seen a big man so weak with the stick like E.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Ericsson on the top pair is so ****ing dumb.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Every defensive faceoff Blashill would put Glenny out there in place for one of the wingers. I don't really agree with it because you are really limiting your transition offense, but Gus more often than not was that winger being replaced.

Glendenning was replacing Tatar on the Datsyuk/Helm line.
Miller was replacing Nyquist on the Z/Abdelkader line.

Pretty much the last 6 minutes of the game neither of the two got a shift. The reason Nyquist played so much less is that he only got 4 shifts the whole second period and only 1 the last half of the 1st.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006

As soon as SJ starting winding up the forecheck they just swamped the defensemen. None of them could break it. They all started turning their backs to the offensive zone almost immediately instead of being heads up to make a quick exit pass.

Not encouraging.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Kronwall-Green
Dekeyser-Marchenko

Should be the top 4. Figure out the rest. I don't care how much guys are getting paid and whatnot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad