Post-Game Talk: Wings desperately needing a win get dominated by lottery team

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
The team's not that bad. The effort was god awful tonight. We've seen better out of this team. Hell we saw us taking it to Chicago at ES for 2 games in a row. Just Mrazek had a couple bad games and our PP/PK was terribad.

But tonight. Holy moly, tonight. Tonight was garbage. Just plain old garbage.

That's the frustrating thing about this team. The talent is absolutely there. The speed is there. WE HAVE SEEN IT. They just look complacent. When they get desperate they start playing well. We saw the last 5 minutes. Wow they actually looked like a goddamn NHL team for a few minutes there. Someone, something, needs to light the fire of god under them.

Pucks move faster than players.

That's the problem.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Pucks move faster than players.

That's the problem.

And our passing blows. Seriously we are terrible at it. We need Gordon Bombay to come in and coach it Mighty Ducks style with some eggs because we are passing it into feet, Kronwall apparently has completely lost the ability to handle a perfect saucer pass, and we take years to make the simple pass. Our players stare at it for 5 seconds before doing it. By then the other team has cut off the lane and blocked the pass.

cnwinger

Feb 22, 2012
this team is total trash. it's a sinking ship.

it's over, folks. time to start the rebuild.

Acoustic

Sep 29, 2014
And our passing blows. Seriously we are terrible at it. We need Gordon Bombay to come in and coach it Mighty Ducks style with some eggs because we are passing it into feet, Kronwall apparently has completely lost the ability to handle a perfect saucer pass, and we take years to make the simple pass. Our players stare at it for 5 seconds before doing it. By then the other team has cut off the lane and blocked the pass.

Yeah, and especially from the back end.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
The most concerning thing about the game to me tonight was Nyquist, Quincey, and Howard's reaction after the 2nd goal (especially Nyquist). You would think they just gave up a goal in the third period of a game 7 from their reaction. Not trying to imply they should look happy after giving up a goal, but their might be something there.

On the bright side Howard has found his game, I thought he was strong. And I love watching "Helm with hands." Who also fights.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Before the Canadian dollar went in the toilet I thought we were poised to be active from last free agency all the way through July 1 this year. I think the CAP doing nothing is really screwing that up. Not sure what they do.

I hope they move Tatar for defensive help. Cut bait with Q and Helm. Maybe package Pulkkinen with Howard to get him moved.

Either way, we have what we have right now and these guys need to be a lot better. I will not root against them making the playoffs and I don't think all is lost. But they need to snap out of this in a hurry, they need six points this week, so they are looking at winning their next three now.

Yeah i couldn't agree more, The falling canadian dollar has definitely messed things up for us no doubt about that it's going to hurt a lot of clubs if it doesn't move up here.

Yeah would definitely love to move Tatar for defensive help here, Vatanen would be nice though i could see tons of competition for his services. Definitely need to cut bait with Q and Helm that's for sure. And if it takes adding Pulkkinen to move Howard's salary i'm all for it as well.

We've the Jets, Rangers and Leafs coming up all winnable games, No excuse not to at least get 5 points out of it. Jets and Leafs should be wins the Rangers will be tough but still should be winnable if we play our game. Tonights loss stung and Blashill is losing this team and he needs to have a close door meeting right now and address what needs to be addressed.

Either way Holland has his work cut out for him this summer, And it's hard trying to make any moves when you don't know what the cap situation is going to be this summer. As of now we've about $14.5M to spend and i believe that includes the $2M saved on Kindls contract. And pretty much all of our RFAs like DeKeyser, Mrazek, Sheahan, Marchenko and Pulkkinen will eat all that up. I don't envy Holland's position this summer he's got his work cut out for him to get this team back to where it needs to be.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think this team's problems start with Kronwall. He's being asked to do things he's not capable of anymore. And his compete level has been garbage. His PP work is lazy and uninspired.

Green was pretty awful tonight until the last 5 minutes. You look at the scoresheet and might think he had a good game. I think we was more worried about looking tough for Clarkson than playing the game.

Quincey had a forgettable game.

Marchenko held on while he was out there.

DeKeyser had a decent game. I don't know why he gets stapled to the bench when the team needs a tying goal.

Abby brought it again. He's the only guy that brings it night after night. Slap an 'A' on him.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are gassed.

Tatar can go **** himself. There was a play where there was a 50/50 puck on the forecheck and he hopped out of the way of the defender because he thought he might get hit. Easy clear.

AA looked good.

Larkin looked lost.

Glendening ought to be ashamed of himself.

When the three guys wearing letters don't look like they give a ****, what can you do?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
This team is sucking wind right now. They scored enough to win this one. Goaltending sucks. When goaltending doesn't suck the offense sucks.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think it would because the streak would be over. Efforts could then shift to rebuilding a contender, instead of "make the playoffs and anything can happen".

Irony is that shift already happened. We didnt get any rentals this year.

So we are NOT buying.

This offseason will be interesting.

Aug 6, 2012
Yikes is all I have to say. Looking like another horrid limp to the finish just like last year.

Honestly I have trouble even tuning in to the games anymore.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Can we please cut helms minutes and glendening. Maybe play aa more.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Maybe the players don't really see the point in playing out one round either....Maybe this is the core guys who have been set up to be the sacrificial playoff lamb for the past 3-4 years having had enough. Not excusable but could be the mentality...?

Aug 6, 2012
Maybe the players don't really see the point in playing out one round either....Maybe this is the core guys who have been set up to be the sacrificial playoff lamb for the past 3-4 years having had enough. Not excusable but could be the mentality...?

Well they know they are safe at the DRW country club. What do KFQ, Miller, Glenny, Ericsson, and all the other scrubs have in common?

Core players

invsb

Mar 7, 2016
Yeah i've always had the feeling and maybe i'm wrong, That Holland and the Illitches were just happy to make the playoffs and go from there.

I can't understand where making the playoffs, And then losing in the 1st round is that much of a consolation I would tend to think that Holland would want a build a contending team. But as of now i'm just not seeing it.

I look it at from a marketing perspective that the organization utilizes. At this point, the red wings are branded as that old team that always makes the playoffs. It is a marketable image and good enough for the organization to garner a new stadium and maintain a successful franchise with good revenue and a long history.

The playoff streak is fools gold and the wings need to miss them so the wings brass can get back to work trying to fix this.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I look it at from a marketing perspective that the organization utilizes. At this point, the red wings are branded as that old team that always makes the playoffs. It is a marketable image and good enough for the organization to garner a new stadium and maintain a successful franchise with good revenue and a long history.

The playoff streak is fools gold and the wings need to miss them so the wings brass can get back to work trying to fix this.

I think Holland would just blame El'Nino if the Wings missed by a couple points and wouldn't change a thing.

invsb

Mar 7, 2016
I think Holland would just blame El'Nino if the Wings missed by a couple points and wouldn't change a thing.

Holland is a master at spinning the PR then. In all seriousness, I would love to be a fly on the wall at the Wings top brass meeting.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The problem is Kenny no longer cares. He has won his titles. Now it is all about protecting his legacy. This is the root issue. Until he is willing to stand up and act like a man he is gonna continue to set us back.

This year the age bug hit really hard. The wings are done and burned.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The most concerning thing about the game to me tonight was Nyquist, Quincey, and Howard's reaction after the 2nd goal (especially Nyquist). You would think they just gave up a goal in the third period of a game 7 from their reaction. Not trying to imply they should look happy after giving up a goal, but their might be something there.
The team is in a pretty bad state mentally right now. It's obvious. Body language is not good. Other teams are scoring goals with ease against us. Seeing-eye shots and weird bounces and suddenly the puck is in. And on our part it requires herculian efforts and magical plays to get a goal. Blashill seems to be in panic mode, thinking everything will be okay as long as he has Dats and Z on the ice for half the game, meanwhile the players that actually seem to be going are not seeing the ice enough.

It's a mess. Only thing that makes me have some hope is that we do have great leadership on this team. They need to have a team meeting and get themselves together. Unlike other people I don't see a team of players that don't care. I think Nyquist has been playing his heart out lately. Z is trying, Dats is too. Larkin is skating hard but not getting anything going. Abby and Helm are playing with incredible effort. Tatar is looking better. Just our d-men are stinking it up and no one is playing with any confidence offensively.

invsb

Mar 7, 2016
The problem is Kenny no longer cares. He has won his titles. Now it is all about protecting his legacy. This is the root issue. Until he is willing to stand up and act like a man he is gonna continue to set us back.

This year the age bug hit really hard. The wings are done and burned.

If this is about protecting his legacy then he is an awful leader for a time like this. Organizational leadership stems from the top down and if he can't get the job done and he knows it he needs to step down.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
The team is in a pretty bad state mentally right now. It's obvious. Body language is not good. Other teams are scoring goals with ease against us. Seeing-eye shots and weird bounces and suddenly the puck is in. And on our part it requires herculian efforts and magical plays to get a goal. Blashill seems to be in panic mode, thinking everything will be okay as long as he has Dats and Z on the ice for half the game, meanwhile the players that actually seem to be going are not seeing the ice enough.

It's a mess. Only thing that makes me have some hope is that we do have great leadership on this team. They need to have a team meeting and get themselves together. Unlike other people I don't see a team of players that don't care. I think Nyquist has been playing his heart out lately. Z is trying, Dats is too. Larkin is skating hard but not getting anything going. Abby and Helm are playing with incredible effort. Tatar is looking better. Just our d-men are stinking it up and no one is playing with any confidence offensively.

This is by far the biggest issue with the forwards IMO.

And Kronwall has been one of the worst Wings defensemen this year and somehow he keeps playing on the top pairing and on the top PP. Wings were playing better when he was out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad