Post-Game Talk: Wings desperately needing a win get dominated by lottery team

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
The TOI is always bizarre in some respect. At last glance, we had 4 defenseman who played less than 18 minutes tonight. Is that possible?

And Helm with 17 minutes LOL. Hope that was due to PPs.

Can't get over how little AA plays and how little Sheahan finds the scoresheet.

Easy to see with a perfect example on that 2 on 1 at the end....nothing but a weak wrister right into the goalie's crest.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm actually going to be rooting against making the playoffs now. Not because we will get a better draft pick - drafting 14th doesn't mean **** - but because it will force a shift in the organization's philosophy.

You know that with as much certainty as those that care about getting the draft pick... I hope the organization makes move regardless of making the playoffs, those that worry about us not doing it as an eighth seed should probably be just as worried if we barely miss that it can be explained away... Honestly big moves for the last year of the JLA and new arena seem more likely than whatever happens at this point standing wise.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
The TOI is always bizarre in some respect. At last glance, we had 4 defenseman who played less than 18 minutes tonight. Is that possible?

Agree. Who's making the call to keep AA on the bench. Something is rotten in Denmark.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Honestly, I've been big Nyquist and Tatar fans but I'll move either or both for a defenseman without batting an eyelash at this point. I'll throw a first and a good prospect in too.

We need help on the back end big time. Kronwall could be staring down a Cleary level decline for all we know. He's been awful this year for the most part. Green is the only guy I like on our back end, and he's what, a middle pairing guy at best? Dekeyser is alright, though he lays some stinkers that people just sweep under the rug pretty often. Basically every single d man is slotted higher than they should be on this team. They all look about equally awful trying to be top pairing guys.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
There needs to be a closed door team meeting about lack of effort. Enough is enough already and the leadership needs to step up and get the team back on track.

Oct 18, 2006

Rookie (half) season: 42 games, 9 goals, 24 points.
This season: 64 games, 9 goals, 16 points.

What has happened? Seriously? If it was purely due to the line of him, Tats and Jurks, then put them back together. If it wasn't, what the heck has happened to his production? 7 assists in 64 games??

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I'm actually going to be rooting against making the playoffs now. Not because we will get a better draft pick - drafting 14th doesn't mean **** - but because it will force a shift in the organization's philosophy.

Right remember the quote from Ken Holland we like our team, Don't see how this will change one bit any of the organization's philosophy. Holland is Holland. But agree that major changes are needed.

TheRedMachine

Feb 5, 2016
You think finishing 9th instead of 8th will force Holland to shift his philosophy from "just make the playoffs and anything can happen?"

I think it would because the streak would be over. Efforts could then shift to rebuilding a contender, instead of "make the playoffs and anything can happen".

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
lads the team is just not very good

its an avg team that relies on two old goats and/or vezina type #'s from mrazek

when either of those(or both really) arent clicking the team is too soft, too small and too one dimensional to compete

missing the playoffs will not change KH's mgmt style, it wont.

the best part of missing the playoffs would be that hopefully no UFA would sign here

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think it would because the streak would be over. Efforts could then shift to rebuilding a contender, instead of "make the playoffs and anything can happen".

I doubt it. I think the mandate from ownership is to make the playoffs and continue to rebuild on the fly.

Doubt they authorize a big tear down style rebuild many advocate, especially with the final season at JLA and the building opening on the immediate horizon.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
You think finishing 9th instead of 8th will force Holland to shift his philosophy from "just make the playoffs and anything can happen?"

Oh I think it will change...

The new philosophy will be: Just get in the wildcard race and anything can happen.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
That was a pathetic effort. Do not care about turning it on at the end. Feelings when Helm rang the pipe was we wouldn't have deserved that if it did go in.

Totally agree this was a pathetic effort, And Holland had better do something this summer to address it. Can't believe that we will go into the new arena in the 2017/18 season with this bad of a team. It all starts on D and we definitely need to address the D this summer rather we target Vatanen or possibly Shattenkirk need to do something here.

TheRedMachine

Feb 5, 2016
lads the team is just not very good

its an avg team that relies on two old goats and/or vezina type #'s from mrazek

when either of those(or both really) arent clicking the team is too soft, too small and too one dimensional to compete

missing the playoffs will not change KH's mgmt style, it wont.

the best part of missing the playoffs would be that hopefully no UFA would sign here

Honest question. If missing the playoffs wouldn't change Hollands management style do you think it would make him step down? Because I see it as one or the other.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Totally agree this was a pathetic effort, And Holland had better do something this summer to address it. Can't believe that we will go into the new arena in the 2017/18 season with this bad of a team. It all starts on D and we definitely need to address the D this summer rather we target Vatanen or possibly Shattenkirk need to do something here.

Before the Canadian dollar went in the toilet I thought we were poised to be active from last free agency all the way through July 1 this year. I think the CAP doing nothing is really screwing that up. Not sure what they do. I thought Green marked the start of this window. Then there just wasn't much out there at the deadline. I wonder what they will do in June and July, the flat cap is a big problem for us.

I hope they move Tatar for defensive help. Cut bait with Q and Helm. Maybe package Pulkkinen with Howard to get him moved.

Either way, we have what we have right now and these guys need to be a lot better. I will not root against them making the playoffs and I don't think all is lost. But they need to snap out of this in a hurry, they need six points this week, so they are looking at winning their next three now.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I doubt it. I think the mandate from ownership is to make the playoffs and continue to rebuild on the fly.

Doubt they authorize a big tear down style rebuild many advocate, especially with the final season at JLA and the building opening on the immediate horizon.

Yeah i've always had the feeling and maybe i'm wrong, That Holland and the Illitches were just happy to make the playoffs and go from there.

I can't understand where making the playoffs, And then losing in the 1st round is that much of a consolation I would tend to think that Holland would want a build a contending team. But as of now i'm just not seeing it.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Honest question. If missing the playoffs wouldn't change Hollands management style do you think it would make him step down? Because I see it as one or the other.

NO

he wont step down unless we miss the playoffs at lest 3 years in a row

or

we win a cup and he wishes to "go out" on top and move into another role

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
The team's not that bad. The effort was god awful tonight. We've seen better out of this team. Hell we saw us taking it to Chicago at ES for 2 games in a row. Just Mrazek had a couple bad games and our PP/PK was terribad.

But tonight. Holy moly, tonight. Tonight was garbage. Just plain old garbage.

That's the frustrating thing about this team. The talent is absolutely there. The speed is there. WE HAVE SEEN IT. They just look complacent. When they get desperate they start playing well. We saw the last 5 minutes. Wow they actually looked like a goddamn NHL team for a few minutes there. Someone, something, needs to light the fire of god under them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad