GDT: Wings @ Blues

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Bowey... seems like kind of a mixed bag at this point to me.

I like him, though. In the third he closed on a guy behind the net, put a body on him, put a stick on his hip, and forced him hard into the boards separating the guy from the puck. It's type of physical play we don't see from a lot of our guys, regardless of their size. And for a point of comparison, I think the difference between him and between a guy like Witter/Lashoff is noticeable.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I like him, though. In the third he closed on a guy behind the net, put a body on him, put a stick on his hip, and forced him hard into the boards separating the guy from the puck. It's type of physical play we don't see from a lot of our guys, regardless of their size. And for a point of comparison, I think the difference between him and between a guy like Witter/Lashoff is noticeable.
He's above the level of Witkowski and Lashoff in some respects for sure. He could be a replacement for either if he keeps it up.

Besides the physical play, he's also not afraid to shoot and can find openings.

Last edited:

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
He's above the level of Witkowski and Lashoff, in some respects for sure. He could be a replacement for either if he keeps it up.

Ya I think he will keep developing and get better and better. He has a lot of tools. He also hasn’t played a lot of hockey. I think he will make some big steps next season.

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Some turnovers, but yeah, could be a defender on this team in some capacity. The only problem with that of course is some of our defenders are kind of bad. But an upgrade is an upgrade, and he might improve.

Last edited:

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
There's two guys here I'm pretty much over: DeKeyser and Mantha.

I'd rather have Lashoff in as a defensive guy than DeKeyser; he made two decent plays tonight, otherwise hot garbage, and has been for the majority of the last two seasons.

Mantha, boy... the Franzen comparisons aren't fair. To Franzen. There are guys with much less talent playing their collective Winged asses off making a difference, and Mantha looks like he simply couldn't care less. This is the time of year to show you give a shit, not loaf about and let some college free agents make you look expendable.

f***'s sake.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
A lot more "watchable" game than vs. the Rangers. Really good pace. I hope the last 8 games the guys continue to skate their asses off.

To the criticism of Mantha: He is what he is. The only reason there's such scrutiny is because he was a 1st round pick, expectations were overblown. The analysis of the armchair sports psychologists gets a little tiring. He's a 2nd-3rd liner, not a 30 goal player like we dreamed, oh well. It'd be nice to strike gold like we did with Larkin but you never know.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
He's above the level of Witkowski and Lashoff in some respects for sure. He could be a replacement for either if he keeps it up.

He is a - 5 in 9 games even with 3 or 4 points on the positive side. Does that tell you anything . Hronek is a-11, Lashoff a is net 0 in 126 nhl games and he plays d far better than the bottom three I have been watching this year. The young defenders that most people like to rave about here have probably cost this team a min of 20-25 pts this year not to mention the avalanche of youthful mistakes they make trying to leave their zone, with coverage around the net and losing the offensive zone with bad decisions that have produced a hundred grade 1 scoring chances for the opposition . . I personally would focus more on trade market than tanking to rebuild this team. Defense being priority one. I can only think of three player I would not consider moving.

Last edited:

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I don't understand the ax people are grinding with DeKeyser. He had a really good game last night and has had a decent season. If you want Lashoff in over DeKeyser, HA, good luck. I just don't understand the hate.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
A lot more "watchable" game than vs. the Rangers. Really good pace. I hope the last 8 games the guys continue to skate their asses off.

To the criticism of Mantha: He is what he is. The only reason there's such scrutiny is because he was a 1st round pick, expectations were overblown. The analysis of the armchair sports psychologists gets a little tiring. He's a 2nd-3rd liner, not a 30 goal player like we dreamed, oh well. It'd be nice to strike gold like we did with Larkin but you never know.

no the reason he is scrutinized is because he fails to live up to what he has shown in the past. He was elite to start last season. Then after the Calgary brawl game he was never the same.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There's two guys here I'm pretty much over: DeKeyser and Mantha.

I'd rather have Lashoff in as a defensive guy than DeKeyser; he made two decent plays tonight, otherwise hot garbage, and has been for the majority of the last two seasons.

Mantha, boy... the Franzen comparisons aren't fair. To Franzen. There are guys with much less talent playing their collective Winged asses off making a difference, and Mantha looks like he simply couldn't care less. This is the time of year to show you give a ****, not loaf about and let some college free agents make you look expendable.

****'s sake.
Not to mention Franzen earned his keep and got prime minutes specifically because of his work ethic. If Mantha had Franzen's tenacity and drive, he could be a force out there (though he also would have been taken earlier as well, but one would think he could grow out of that).

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
He is a - 5 in 9 games even with 3 or 4 points on the positive side. Does that tell you anything . Hronek is a-11, Lashoff a is net 0 in 126 nhl games and he plays d far better than the bottom three I have been watching this year. The young defenders that most people like to rave about here have probably cost this team a min of 20-25 pts this year not to mention the avalanche of youthful mistakes they make trying to leave their zone, with coverage around the net and losing the offensive zone with bad decisions that have produced a hundred grade 1 scoring chances for the opposition . . I personally would focus more on trade market than tanking to rebuild this team. Defense being priority one. I can only think of three player I would not consider moving.

So you're belief is that Lashoff should be the top defenseman on the team or....? I'm so confused as to what your point is. If the point you're making is what I think you're making, our analysis of value added is monumentally different. There's a reason Lashoff is an AHL player.

Lashoff is a -11 career player with 14 career points averaging 15 minutes of ice time over 126 career games. If you play 15 minutes of ice time as a defenseman, it means you are the last option on your team, meaning you aren't drawing the most difficult matchups.

Hronek on the other hand is a career -11 with 16 points in 38 games, averaging 20 minutes a game. And over the last month he is averaging like 23-24 minutes per game. That's the ice time of a #1 option, albeit not an elite one. Hronek's dynamic and his ability makes the entire unit on the ice better a majority of the time. I can promise you that Hronek is not costing this team anything.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
So you're belief is that Lashoff should be the top defenseman on the team or....? I'm so confused as to what your point is. If the point you're making is what I think you're making, our analysis of value added is monumentally different. There's a reason Lashoff is an AHL player.

Lashoff is a -11 career player with 14 career points averaging 15 minutes of ice time over 126 career games. If you play 15 minutes of ice time as a defenseman, it means you are the last option on your team, meaning you aren't drawing the most difficult matchups.

Hronek on the other hand is a career -11 with 16 points in 38 games, averaging 20 minutes a game. And over the last month he is averaging like 23-24 minutes per game. That's the ice time of a #1 option, albeit not an elite one. Hronek's dynamic and his ability makes the entire unit on the ice better a majority of the time. I can promise you that Hronek is not costing this team anything.

I think Hronek is Detroit's rookie of the year. He has made some mistakes, but from a rookie, most of us expect it. I was really disappointed when they sent him down this year, because he was at a point where he seemed like he was really heating up offensively.

Probably, they almost could have moved him to the NHL last season because of his offense. They kept him down to improve him defensively. I think when they finally called him up this season, he was slightly overripe. That doesn't follow the pattern of a lot of Detroit's rookies lately.

I really think the best place for him to develop at this point is the NHL. He wouldn't get much out of the AHL; he's outgrown it. He absolutely earned the call-up.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Also, on the Lashoff front, the majority of those games came on far better teams. Put Hronek on those teams in 12/13 and 13/14 and he's not getting exposed for 20+ minutes a night while having a much younger Kronwall and Ericsson to play behind.

In today's game, I think the ramping up of speed really exposes some of Lashoff's weaknesses. He tries to play a safe game, but I just don't see him thinking the game well enough to stay up with the guys flying around. And it's made worse when paired with a guy like Witter.

chris05

May 23, 2013
Ras gets dumped. What's good having a big body if you don't know how to use it? He needs more work. Needs to be back down next year. Does he have to go back to junior or will he skate in GR if we do?
—__————————_—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Hard to watch a player trying to compete when he does not belong in the nhl at this time. The Cholowski treatment should definitely be in place with this player. If they put him in the line up against Vegas and San Jose they might have to send him back for an over age year just to build his confidence back up.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Ras gets dumped. What's good having a big body if you don't know how to use it? He needs more work. Needs to be back down next year. Does he have to go back to junior or will he skate in GR if we do?
—__————————_—————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Hard to watch a player trying to compete when he does not belong in the nhl at this time. The Cholowski treatment should definitely be in place with this player. If they put him in the line up against Vegas and San Jose they might have to send him back for an over age year just to build his confidence back up.

He isn't a delicate little flower that will have his confidence crushed playing against good teams. FYI, he has already played against SJ and Vegas (1g, 1a). He is still just a kid. Give him a summer or 2 to get stronger like Larkin did.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I was at the game last night. It was pretty brutal watching the Wings. I didn't even know that we still had Lashoff in our system. Kronwall does need to retire like someone else here said.
Hirose looked alright. I was quite a few beers in by the second period.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
This the time of year to show you give a ****, not loaf about and let some college free agents make you look expendable.
This is literally the OPPOSITE time of the year. After you are mathematically eliminated from playoffs? Half of this board wants us to keep losing, and now you're pinning it on Mantha?

He cared alright when there was something to care about.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
This is literally the OPPOSITE time of the year. After you are mathematically eliminated from playoffs? Half of this board wants us to keep losing, and now you're pinning it on Mantha?

There is never a time to not give a shit about playing in the NHL. If you don't want to win every single game you play in, get the f*** off my favorite team.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

That's disgusting. I want Mantha gone tomorrow if that is truly how he feels.

chris05

May 23, 2013
He isn't a delicate little flower that will have his confidence crushed playing against good teams. FYI, he has already played against SJ and Vegas (1g, 1a). He is still just a kid. Give him a summer or 2 to get stronger like Larkin did.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am sure he will turn out to be a good player. Right now he does not belong in the NHL. At this present time he brings nothing to the team that can actually help them win a game. Give him all the time he needs to improve his game but not at the NHL level especially when there is a player more deserving of that roster spot playing in GR. This is big boy hockey time not October time hockey. Vegas just destroyed a cup contender. I am sure the confidence level must be high amongst the wings player knowing 1g 1a guy is in the line up. Kids that can't contribute should not be playing against big boy hockey.​

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
So you're belief is that Lashoff should be the top defenseman on the team or....? I'm so confused as to what your point is. If the point you're making is what I think you're making, our analysis of value added is monumentally different. There's a reason Lashoff is an AHL player.[/B]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad