Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Just need Bowler to take what’s in front of him. This COULD be the foundational draft for a title and a Mem. Cup run. Plenty of premium picks, some decent talent on the current roster…

Can anyone talk a little about our situation in net, moving forward? What do we have coming back, and what the outlook is for next year?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Just need Bowler to take what’s in front of him. This COULD be the foundational draft for a title and a Mem. Cup run. Plenty of premium picks, some decent talent on the current roster…

Can anyone talk a little about our situation in net, moving forward? What do we have coming back, and what the outlook is for next year?
Wondering the same. Costanzo and Frogget the tandem?
Do you think there is a U18 goalie that they might grab in that draft? there have been a couple picked over the years that have been half decent so maybe a goalie will come from there? Also could see them using a 3rd to get one in the draft although likely not going to rely on a 16 yr old goalie out of the gate. Maybe they move on from Eichler and pick one in the Euro draft? I don't think they will do that but you never know. The goalie situation is definitely not a straight line decision this year.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
He scored on St. Patrick's Day and, while his stats aren't great, he's still a sixth overall pick who's just 16 years old. There's plenty of room to grow and develop with the Gens. I doubt they'd trade him off this quickly short of anything but a "blow us away" doffer.
You are correct. Many people said the same thing about Zach Gallant. In his rookie season he had 0 goals and 4 assists in 51 games. The next season he scored 21 goals and became a good physical two way centre for the Petes who was their captain in his last two seasons.

Reactions: KyGuy9 and OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I am a little apprehensive about the idea of moving a bunch of picks to acquire an 07 D. I only say this because now isn't the time to start moving out all these picks when you decided to rebuild and stack the cupboards.

You can make the case the dedicated tim to certain youngsters getting ice time but in the process it wasn't under an organized gameplan. In the process they have also learned some terrible habits that weren't corrected. We can even find a real good coach and it's completely possible it will take a year plus to get this better.

04s
Morneau
Abraham
Toms
Smith
Struthers
Zhugin

05s
Costanzo
Martin
Greenwell
Outwater
Eichler
Winegard

You can make the case as collective talent with only keeping 3 04s and out of these 05s that this is least talented crop of 04s and 05s in the entire league. Maybe you only bring back 2 of those 04s but you can also make the case in just stripping it down because those 04s were a big part of why this team did so poor.

You're going keep around your 06s if they want to stick around for this but it's possible some may want out.

You can add the 1st pick overall, Manzo, 3rd import pick overall, 2nd round 08 the team can improve but still not make the playoffs.

They would be better to ride it out next year possibly add to the group with the 07s 08s and 09s. See where the 06s are and move them if things don't take off to continue adding more picks. This is how you build an organization. Taking picks right now when the team is literally at the bottom is the definition of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Is the idea truly to help the 04s and 05s have a successful last season for some??

Next year needs to be charting the course for 25-26. They played 38 roster players this past year something that isn't conducive to long term success. Especially when a lot of them are merely filler in the present or future

Roster numbers for this year
Soo 27
Saginaw 30
London 32
Oshawa 29
North Bay 32
Brantford 33

Acquiring an 07 and using picks when you need to do a complete rebuild isn't a good idea.

spitsfan28

Mar 31, 2024
How would everyone feel about Dale Mitchell as HC? Former Spit and he's done wonders in Leamington for the past 2 years, especially with them going up a tier this year

Missed that goal. My mistake.

I think if they got a decent haul of draft selections they’d absolutely deal him. They’re in their window is right now with Calum Ritchie, Beckett Sennecke and Luca Marelli. They have no need for a guy like that in their bottom-6 next year, they don’t have time to wait for him to “develop”.

I think a deal like Ethan Martin, 2x 2nds and 2x3rd’s could get it done. Windsor gets the younger, higher upside scorer for the future, Oshawa gets draft selections for the deadline and a better fit for their bottom-6.
Idk about giving up draft picks rn, I feel like it would be better to focus on the drafts and hiring a coach. Might be a few games into next season before considering deals. Need to see what they have with the new players/coach. But thats just my opinion

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I am a little apprehensive about the idea of moving a bunch of picks to acquire an 07 D. I only say this because now isn't the time to start moving out all these picks when you decided to rebuild and stack the cupboards.

You can make the case the dedicated tim to certain youngsters getting ice time but in the process it wasn't under an organized gameplan. In the process they have also learned some terrible habits that weren't corrected. We can even find a real good coach and it's completely possible it will take a year plus to get this better.

04s
Morneau
Abraham
Toms
Smith
Struthers
Zhugin

05s
Costanzo
Martin
Greenwell
Outwater
Eichler
Winegard

You can make the case as collective talent with only keeping 3 04s and out of these 05s that this is least talented crop of 04s and 05s in the entire league. Maybe you only bring back 2 of those 04s but you can also make the case in just stripping it down because those 04s were a big part of why this team did so poor.

You're going keep around your 06s if they want to stick around for this but it's possible some may want out.

You can add the 1st pick overall, Manzo, 3rd import pick overall, 2nd round 08 the team can improve but still not make the playoffs.

They would be better to ride it out next year possibly add to the group with the 07s 08s and 09s. See where the 06s are and move them if things don't take off to continue adding more picks. This is how you build an organization. Taking picks right now when the team is literally at the bottom is the definition of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Is the idea truly to help the 04s and 05s have a successful last season for some??

Next year needs to be charting the course for 25-26. They played 38 roster players this past year something that isn't conducive to long term success. Especially when a lot of them are merely filler in the present or future

Roster numbers for this year
Soo 27
Saginaw 30
London 32
Oshawa 29
North Bay 32
Brantford 33

Acquiring an 07 and using picks when you need to do a complete rebuild isn't a good idea.
IMHO……04’s…..ABRAHAM and MORNEAU. Trade..Zhugin & Smith..Struthers & Toms…
……………..I would not trade any picks better than round 4.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Might be a tough sell trading them. Better be creative..

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Zhugin has to be either traded or released before the import draft so they can pick at #3. I think the latter will happen. They will hang on to Struthers and Toms until camp to see if there will be any takers but they will likely be released. Smith brings value off of the ice so he will likely stay.

Last edited:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Zhugin has to be either traded or released before the import draft so they can pick at #3. I think the latter will happen. They will hang on to Struthers and Toms until camp to see if there will be any takers but they will likely be released. Smith brings value off of the ice so he will likely stay.

Very big NO to Mitchell, too much past history after he left the Spits. Don't need more drama coming to light.
Very true. The trade value for a import player that needs to be moved by deadline is pennies on the dollar if there is any takers.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Very big NO to Mitchell, too much past history after he left the Spits. Don't need more drama coming to light.
I think Mitchell should at least get an interview. What past history exactly? I mean Bowler has no qualms with Newbury. Mitchell at least is a head coach somewhere.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What happened with Mitchell?

I'd imagine Colton returns in September, at least to give him a look. He's good off the ice and knows this wasn't his best season.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Very true. The trade value for a import player that needs to be moved by deadline is pennies on the dollar if there is any takers.
Smith brings little value. Other than his last name

What happened with Mitchell?

I'd imagine Colton returns in September, at least to give him a look. He's good off the ice and knows this wasn't his best season.
Which season was his good one?..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I've never said that I think he SHOULD be an OA. I've actually said the opposite many times. His production simply isn't there. What I said was that I could see him return in Sept, if even briefly, because he brings something to the room. I doubt that, should he arrive at camp, they keep him around longer than necessary.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I've never said that I think he SHOULD be an OA. I've actually said the opposite many times. His production simply isn't there. What I said was that I could see him return in Sept, if even briefly, because he brings something to the room. I doubt that, should he arrive at camp, they keep him around longer than necessary.
Brakes....

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think Mitchell should at least get an interview. What past history exactly? I mean Bowler has no qualms with Newbury. Mitchell at least is a head coach somewhere

Colton Smith off the ice is a big part of the NHL community. If you upset that group you might have a source for player referrals dry up. It's the last thing Bowler needs. I'm sure all can connect the dots on the number of NHL staff that come from his dad's era here. Sometimes players have interesting value. Be safe.

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

they dont have to trade zhugin right away, hes an overage so he can be put on a reserve list and avoid being cut before the draft. that said, i dont think you get anything for him in a trade. i think they keep him over the d to be honest, they had opportunities to trade him but said the plan was for him to be an overage import next year.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
they dont have to trade zhugin right away, hes an overage so he can be put on a reserve list and avoid being cut before the draft. that said, i dont think you get anything for him in a trade. i think they keep him over the d to be honest, they had opportunities to trade him but said the plan was for him to be an overage import next year.
I like the sounds of that much better. As the season progressed Zhugin seemed to get better. Perhaps he might find himself added to a trade package. At worst he would be insurance if the import they pick at #3 refuses to report.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
^ interesting. To me that means a heavy D man draft.
the german kid is fine and you probably can trade him for a depth draft pick to a team that has two import spots open, but im not sure hes the type of player you use an import pick on, those guys need to be needle movers and on a good team, hes depth at best. hes the type of import you trade away when you need to upgrade

Reactions: Section 103

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Would they be better off moving on from Eichler. Keeping Zhugin around and draft 2 imports and take a huge swing at 63rd overall but most likely will still be a top 50 pick because teams will pass.

Reactions: Cherrydon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
dont disagree, id take a top end 07 or 06 with the second import spot and see if he comes in a year.
Brantford took a big swing with Jiricek may pay off this offseason. They paid very little for Hamara/Sobolev. Got a haul Van Vliet/Donovan and still won their division. Even if they don't get Jiricek they will still draft an import I am sure.

Reactions: KyGuy9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad