Windsor Spitfires 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I can't see Johnston making it but we've seen crazy stuff before (ahem, Foudy).

As for the Import Draft - keep Sobolev, release Baisov, go from there. That seems like the most logical solution right now.

Interesting note - because Staios played in his OA season, the trade winds up being:

Staios for Ldn 2nd 2020 (Kyle Downey), Bar 2nd 2021 (Bronson Ride), Osh 2nd 2022 (wound up in Kitchener via Michael Renwick deal), Ham 3rd 2023, and Ham 5th 2024.

The Ham 3rd 2023 was part of the package to get Perrott.

Not a bad haul.

So Quantity n hopes over Quality you are thinking?
I'm not against that per say but if Staios stsys in Windsor maybe they win a championship? I won't assume it woulda happened like others assume things that didn't happen.
I'm sure they coulda found a 2nd n 3rd to acquire Renwick n Perrott if they kept Staois( actually might not of needed Renwick if Staois was in the line up as he woulda ate more minutes than any Spits D)
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out but I wouldn't judge trading the OHLs top D for 2 but pieces in trades for D ya coulda made anyway as a good haul yet.
But it may turn out to be.
But I woulda liked to see this Spits team with a Staois minus a Renwick...... ( ya coulda found that 3rd for Perrott elsewhere)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Last topic I will mention tonight, is the head coaching job obviously held by Marc Savard.
Not saying he will leave for an NHL job for this coming season but should he accept one if offered I would offer the job to 2 people.
One, I would ask Eric Wellwood who now coaches the Newfoundland Growlers Maple Leaf farm club if he were interested, though with him would not surprise me if he winds up with Ottawa Senators as an assistant coach for DJ Smith.
Assuming he turns it down I would then approach Joey Hishon,former Owen Sound assistant coach and Gm who resigned today to see if he was interested.
The former 1st pick of Colorado Avalanche is looking for a new start somewhere and if Savard decides to leave he will be a smart pick up.
He is only turning 32 years old and has been an assistant coach for 4 years already after retiring because of a head injury suffered while playing pro hockey,ironically the same type of injury that ended Savard's career too years ago.
Tomorrow I will what the roster may look next year regardless who is behind the bench.

And a bonus with Hishon for many Spits fans would be he wasn't a Knights fan at all during his OHL days, and the year after he moved on n had his OA rights claimed by LK ;)
I like how he handled it and what he said at time lol. But there was no chance he was going back to the O.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I'm not against that per say but if Staios stsys in Windsor maybe they win a championship? I won't assume it woulda happened like others assume things that didn't happen.
I'm sure they coulda found a 2nd n 3rd to acquire Renwick n Perrott if they kept Staois( actually might not of needed Renwick if Staois was in the line up as he woulda ate more minutes than any Spits D)
It'll be interesting to see how it plays out but I wouldn't judge trading the OHLs top D for 2 but pieces in trades for D ya coulda made anyway as a good haul yet.
But I woulda liked to see this Spits team with a Staois minus a Renwick...... ( ya coulda found that 3rd for Perrott elsewhere)
Aresknights

Understand what you are saying except it was Staios who asked to traded from Windsor wanted to play close to home.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Aresknights

Understand what you are saying except it was Staios who asked to traded fr8om Windsor wanted to play close to home.

Yup, he wanted out, play close to home, play for his dad, probably one of those (who said he wouldn't draft him I think)

Last edited:

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
If Staios stays maybe we would’ve won… if Foudy returned we would have.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Lots of things to Unpack now we’re in the off-season thread.

While I would’ve loved to see an OHL Championship, I’m very impressed with what this team accomplished. Props to Bowler for not spending everything for a failed run and Props to Savard for coaching this club far beyond expectations.

Coaching:
I hope Savard stays. He mentioned that Johnston May move on, but selfishly he wants him to stay in Windsor another year… which indicates Savard plans to stay, but if you get that NHL Offer you don’t turn it down.

Johnston:
This team revolves around him next year IMO. If he returns, we push. If he doesn’t, it becomes a sell year. Johnston gone. All of Maggio, Onuska, Renwick would fetch a great return even as OA’s. And lots of 03’ trade bait with Peer, Zito, Christopolous, Maillet, Jodoin, Sobolev.

Overagers:
Easy: Maggio, Renwick, Onuska.
Maggio’s a hometown kid, likely he’ll finish it out. Renwick “stay at home” abilities on the back end are needed losing two OA D men this year. Onuska earned the starter spot and proved in the playoffs how great he can be. If an OA Goalie doesn’t count, add Ribau to the mix.
Ribau was acquired for Dylan Robinson and a 3rd. Any return on Ribau would be a bonus, as I think we had a big win in that deal. Assuming we move on from Currie as well, and unfortunately I think he holds less value than he did when he came over, given the trade was a 2/3/Currie for Ladd and McDonald.

Goalies:
Medina Goes. He proved his worth in the playoffs and he’s capable of winning. Only reason I think Medina could stay is if it’s determined he holds far less trade value than Onuska. I don’t think they’re all that far apart skill wise, but O is better, has big save capabilities and is solid on breakaways. If it’s a Couple high end pick difference I could see letting Medina ride out his OHL Career in Windsor and split time with Downey. I see Downey/Froggett a good option in 23/24, but Downey will need games to prepare to take over.

Rookies:
I’d love to see Martin here next year. Really liked the small sample we saw. I honestly think Spellacy signs, which would be a huge grab. All the signs I’ve seen point to yes, he’ll be here. Windsors a desirable spot to grow as a player. And as a US kid, I’d imagine it’s a much easier sell than North Bay or The Soo.

Imports:
I was afraid Sobolev was AHL Eligible but if he’s not, I’m thrilled. He’ll be a top tier d man, and physically I think is ready for the AHL.
I’d like to see Baisov return. He’s not bad. He had high energy, played with grit, finished his hits, not afraid to drop the gloves, and has scoring abilities as well. We saw a small sample. Honestly, the team was too deep for him. He would’ve got Bottom 6 minutes consistently on 80% of OHL teams. Watered down Import draft plus he was a healthy scratch the majority of the year, I say give him a chance to prove himself just on principal. You have to remember he got to practice with Johnston and Cuylle all year, I’m sure there’s progress just in observing that. I don’t say Baisov or Bust but I’d need an impact now, sure deal to move on from him as he seemed happy to be here even when he wasn’t playing. You don’t want to push that away for no reason.

Improving Players/Enhanced Workload:
Abraham will be fine. DeAngelis will be fine. Ride will be fine. Meidema I worry about. I liked that his checking improved a bit in the post season, but I’m afraid he’ll be a bit too Kyle McDonald. Big size, doesn’t use it, Puts up some points, but not really that gritty player Windsor loves. I think he’ll be fine long term, but not sure if Windsor will end up being the right fit. Remember though, he is a year younger than DeAngelis and Abraham even though they were all “rookies” this year. I’m still hopeful.

Captains:
Only A that could return is Johnston. He’ll miss time cause of NHL Camp & Juniors. I expect Zito, Maggio, and Renwick to have letters next year. I think the C could elevate Maggio the most. I don’t know the room but based on community stuff, like ability, hometown kid, if the C isn’t on Wyatt I’m guessing Maggio.

I guess technically Cuylle could return too but that would be more shocking than Foudy not returning this year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Staios asked for a trade to be closer to his family/grandparents. While he turned into an outstanding D-man for Hamilton, he wasn't at that level for the Spitfires and the consensus opinion at the time was we got a good deal out of it. I was simply looking at what we got in return using the picks in the deal. Was I thinking "quantity n hopes over quality"? No.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Very well may have.
2 players rumored on here often that wanted out for whatever reasons. Not saying thats an indictment on Windsor It happens to every team.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Last topic I will mention tonight, is the head coaching job obviously held by Marc Savard.
Not saying he will leave for an NHL job for this coming season but should he accept one if offered I would offer the job to 2 people.
One, I would ask Eric Wellwood who now coaches the Newfoundland Growlers Maple Leaf farm club if he were interested, though with him would not surprise me if he winds up with Ottawa Senators as an assistant coach for DJ Smith.
Assuming he turns it down I would then approach Joey Hishon,former Owen Sound assistant coach and Gm who resigned today to see if he was interested.
The former 1st pick of Colorado Avalanche is looking for a new start somewhere and if Savard decides to leave he will be a smart pick up.
He is only turning 32 years old and has been an assistant coach for 4 years already after retiring because of a head injury suffered while playing pro hockey,ironically the same type of injury that ended Savard's career too years ago.
Tomorrow I will what the roster may look next year regardless who is behind the bench.
As long as they dont promote within..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I will be listing 2 different roster alignments 1 with Wyatt Johnston on the team next year and the other without.
1st is the roster with Johnston included after 9 games or less with Dallas.

Forwards
Johnston-Zito-Miedema
Abraham-Maggio-Christopoulos
Maillet-Peer-O'Flagherty
Spellacy- Baisov- Morneau

Extra- Martin,Greentree,Greenwell
Grenerio,Frattaroli, McIllwain
Davis ,Dean ,Fritz
Defense-
Renwick-Ride
Sobolev-Christoforo
Jodoin-DeAngelis

Ribau-OA
Winegard
Crisp
Eke

Goalies-
Onuska-
Downey
3rd Goalie- Froggett

Overagers dealt or let go
Medina-G
Currie-F
Ribau-D- eventually.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Here is my Spitfire roster for upcoming season without Wyatt Johnston here
for the entire year

Forwards
Zito-Miedema-Christopoulos
Abraham-Maggio-O'Flagherty
Maillet-Peer-Baisov
Spellacy-Morneau-Greentree

Extras- Martin,Greenwell,Frattaroli
Greniero,McIllwain, Fritz,Davis
Dean
Defense
Renwick-Ride
Sobolev-Christoforo
Jodoin-DeAngeiis
Extra
Ribau-OA
Winegard
Crisp
Eke

Goalies
Onuska-OA
Downey
Froggett-3rd tender
Branton- 4th goalie

Medina-G-traded
Currie-F-moved
Ribau-D' eventually traded
Note if Junior leagues allowed for 4 OA with the goalie being a 4th I would keep Ribau otherwise he will be dealt.
Maggio,Renwick and Onuska would be the 3 OA players.

Reactions: stips

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Here is my Spitfire roster for upcoming season without Wyatt Johnston here
for the entire year

Forwards
Zito-Miedema-Christopoulos
Abraham-Maggio-O'Flagherty
Maillet-Peer-Baisov
Spellacy-Morneau-Greentree

Extras- Martin,Greenwell,Frattaroli
Greniero,McIllwain, Fritz,Davis
Dean
Defense
Renwick-Ride
Sobolev-Christoforo
Jodoin-DeAngeiis
Extra
Ribau-OA
Winegard
Crisp
Eke

Goalies
Onuska-OA
Downey
Froggett-3rd tender
Branton- 4th goalie

Medina-G-traded
Currie-F-moved
Ribau-D' eventually traded
Note if Junior leagues allowed for 4 OA with the goalie being a 4th I would keep Ribau otherwise he will be dealt.
Maggio,Renwick and Onuska would be the 3 OA players.
Nice work. Compliment Glad you included Baisov in your roster. Smart considering Russians are out of the picture import draft and he has already adjusted to living here and school . Now he can concentrate on hockey. Never questioned his enthusiasm. Could be a real asset. Attitude similar to Ovechkin. If he has half the skill it will be a home rum.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I agree both would have helped huge. JMO.
Why was Foudy not returned? Just curious. I read rumblings on here he should have been based on his AHL usage n effectiveness but there were issues with him n the team? Just what I read on here. I have no idea.
It happens to all teams. But organizations have to try n create an atmosphere that limits these things but ya it'll happen even to the best run teams.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Nice work. Compliment Glad you included Baisov in your roster. Smart considering Russians are out of the picture import draft and he has already adjusted to living here and school . Now he can concentrate on hockey. Never questioned his enthusiasm. Could be a real asset. Attitude similar to Ovechkin. If he has half the skill it will be a home rum.

I've liked Baisov's game since the start; he's just so snakebitten and passed by other guys that his action was limited at best. If he can harness the energy into scoring, he'll be fine.

Reactions: Spits1963

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nelli

Yes Andy Delmore was the Spits D coach this past season.
He was already hired on during the summer to assist then head coach Trevor Letowski who left to go and assist the head coach in Montreal.
He remained after Marc Savaard was hired and along with the rest of the coaching staff did an excellent job this season with this group of players.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I agree both would have helped huge. JMO.
Why was Foudy not returned? Just curious. I read rumblings on here he should have been based on his AHL usage n effectiveness but there were issues with him n the team? Just what I read on here. I have no idea.
It happens to all teams. But organizations have to try n create an atmosphere that limits these things but ya it'll happen even to the best run teams.
Believe it was due to a stipulation with Covid, where he typically wouldn’t have been AHL eligible (2002 player, drafted out of the OHL), but because of the season off and where he played in that off season, he became eligible for the AHL.

Now the cards have fallen for the year, I didn’t want it to sound like I was whining Foudy was gone, but I do think he had room to grow still at the OHL Level. His skating was beyond this level, but size, and hockey IQ could’ve used some more work IMO.

Johnston is beyond AHL ready. Skill wise I think he can move up to the NHL, but I could see him staying here another season and tearing up WJ with Canada. He’s smart, he keeps his head up, but he could add a few pounds before going up

Reactions: stips

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Now the cards have fallen for the year, I didn’t want it to sound like I was whining Foudy was gone, but I do think he had room to grow still at the OHL Level. His skating was beyond this level, but size, and hockey IQ could’ve used some more work IMO.

I think Foudy could have had a Cuylle-esque season here. The end of 2019-20 wasn't his healthiest so would have been nice to see him for a healthy 60+ games.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Every team in the league and their defense needed improvement.
Regular season excluding empty netters Windsor's goals against was 3.51
Playoffs same criteria 2.64
Defense is a team game from goal on out and Windsor vastly improved in all areas from the start of the season,goals for goals against,Power Play,Penalty Killing reasons why they came within 1 win if the league championship.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Every team in the league and their defense needed improvement.
Regular season excluding empty netters Windsor's goals against was 3.51
Playoffs same criteria 2.64
Defense is a team game from goal on out and Windsor vastly improved in all areas from the start of the season,goals for goals against,Power Play,Penalty Killing reasons why they came within 1 win if the league championship.
Needed someone who would clear the opposition out in front of net. Didn't happen .

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I don't think Staios would've helped Windsor's defense very much. I don't think he would be that big of an upgrade over Henault, who Windsor would've likely had to get rid of if they did have Staios still around because of the overage rules.
I think it was a trade that was mutually beneficial. Doubt there is seller's remorse from Windsor's end.

As for Foudy - here is a quote from someone more knowledgeable about his usage in the AHL "They beat some of the creativity out of him for better defense but he’s an excellent playmaker. The staff likes him, Foudy doesn’t get buried so his usage is fairly consistent."

He, by all accounts got better as the season progressed. was even a very good player in the playoffs for Colorado's AHL affiliate - scoring 7pts in 9 games, including this OT winner,

Like it or not, Colorado believed it was better for Foudy's development if he played in the AHL. I believe that they were correct based on his play near the end of the season and through the playoffs.

It's a fun "What if" scenario but nothing more.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think Staios would've helped Windsor's defense very much. I don't think he would be that big of an upgrade over Henault, who Windsor would've likely had to get rid of if they did have Staios still around because of the overage rules.
I think it was a trade that was mutually beneficial. Doubt there is seller's remorse from Windsor's end.

As for Foudy - here is a quote from someone more knowledgeable about his usage in the AHL "They beat some of the creativity out of him for better defense but he’s an excellent playmaker. The staff likes him, Foudy doesn’t get buried so his usage is fairly consistent."

He, by all accounts got better as the season progressed. was even a very good player in the playoffs for Colorado's AHL affiliate - scoring 7pts in 9 games, including this OT winner,

Like it or not, Colorado believed it was better for Foudy's development if he played in the AHL. I believe that they were correct based on his play near the end of the season and through the playoffs.

It's a fun "What if" scenario but nothing more.

Maybe the AHL is what both parties needed (Spitfires and Foudy). It helped Johnston get more ice, which he obviously flourished with, helped Cuylle develop his game more, and Foudy does well in the A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad