Windsor Spitfires 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Who will be the Overagers? Maggio is a lock if he doesn’t turn pro after/if he’s drafted, Renwick should be a lock also - so that leaves one spot between Ribau, Currie and a goalie.

How will guys like Miedema and Abraham improve with bigger minutes next year? Windsor is going to need big improvements in production from these two in particular if they want to replace the lost production from Cuylle and possibly Johnston.

What will Savard do? There is genuine interest from Boston and Dallas for his services - will he be gone from Windsor next season? And if Savard does leave, who is there to replace him?

What do you do if Johnston turns pro a year early? I doubt anyone in the Spitfires organization expected the kind of year Johnston had this year. There will be opportunities to make Dallas next year, and if he does, what’s the plan?

Which of our 2022 draft class will we sign?

What will the roster look like next season.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
My early gut for OAs...

Cuylle - AHL
Ribau - traded or University
Renwick - Should be a lock
Onuska - likely sticks
Medina - traded or U
Currie - traded or U
Maggio - unless he turns pro, a lock

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ok so heres my take at this point lol. Johnston is not ready for the show, his body needs to mature, both muscle and weight. He might get his nine games but id hesitate even with that, getting him hurt doesnt help anyone. I dont think they keep both goalies as OA’s unless the rules change. My guess O stays. I can see the OA spots a real toss up, dont see anyone going pro to start, some kids decide to head to school, some will want to stick. Itll depend on what spots need filling. I can honestly see this team contending again with the right signings and returnees. Still say the D needs bodies! Lot will depend on what Meidema looks like in oct, im real nervous about what hes going to be, hope my gut is wrong…. How have out draft picks matured over summer? Lots of smoke around Savard, personally i dont think hes ready to head coach, more to learn for sure imho. If we see another HC do they go find another good one or god forbid look internally!!! Is there any truth that theres tire kickers looking to buy this team?? Lots of questions to answer over a fairly short time frame. Favorite time of year for me, the building process starts today. Exit interviews are currently going on, boys will head home and the scouts and BB will start back at it in a few weeks. Lets hear your thoughts.

Oct 3, 2019
I heard of a few. Maybe just a rumour. Let’s see if anything comes out in the next few weeks

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Looking at next year's Spitfires edition is unknown fully at this time for several reasons,Wyatt Johnston possible early graduation, I will talk about that momentarily, crowded overage pool,will talk about that too,6 possibles but only keep 3,Euro player decision does Bowler keep or release Baisov, more signees from previous drafts other then Christoforo and Greenhill, new head coach possible after only 1 year here.
Lets start with Johnston, myself I agree Teflon dont think he is fully ready for rigors of NHL,skill yes,size and strength no not yet,on ice intelligence yes,if he were Mason Mctavish size and strength, combined with howitzer of a shot I say yes Johnston would definitely be gone.
Now I think its 50/50 but he may get 9 game look from Dallas.
Either way ,he stays with Dallas or returns to Windsor it will be impactful for the Spits except in 2 different scenarios.

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I can't see Johnston making it but we've seen crazy stuff before (ahem, Foudy).

As for the Import Draft - keep Sobolev, release Baisov, go from there. That seems like the most logical solution right now.

Interesting note - because Staios played in his OA season, the trade winds up being:

Staios for Ldn 2nd 2020 (Kyle Downey), Bar 2nd 2021 (Bronson Ride), Osh 2nd 2022 (wound up in Kitchener via Michael Renwick deal), Ham 3rd 2023, and Ham 5th 2024.

The Ham 3rd 2023 was part of the package to get Perrott.

Not a bad haul.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
2nd thing I will touch on is a crowded overall pool-6 possible players including both standout goalies from the playoffs,2D,Renwick and Ribau,and 2 forwards Currie and Maggio.
For me pretty sure Maggio and Renwick are slotted in as the 1st 2 overagers.
After that somewhat interesting.
I doubt Winger Josh Currie is in the conversation so he will be moving on.
It gets interesting amongst the last 3,dman Ribau,and both goalies Medina and Onuska.
Because its unlikely Hockey Canada goes to 4 OA including a goalie I see Ribau moved but not right away.
Not so much with Onuska and Medina,and personally I would not have a problem with either I can understand those who want Onuska over Medina.
Though one may get more for Onuska then Medina,though admittedly there could be several oa goalies up for grabs with fewer teams going for it,could be interesting market.
In the end I see Onuska staying,with Medina moved
Ribau as mentioned may stay awhile but might be gone a month or so after season starts.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I can see Onuska over Medina. While Onuska's value is higher, he also earned an OA spot and I'd hate to see him continue his development elsewhere. That said, Maggio/Renwick would be my other two, and I know Maggio's said he wants to return.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
The situation surrounding the Euros is interesting for me on a couple of fronts,we know Sobolev is here to stay and I expect him to be a vital cog on the D moving forward.
As for Baisov I am conflicted I admit
Part of me would be in favor of him moved and freeing up to select another player,although our draft is 1 week before the NHL draft so we dont know who is available from NHL teams.
Because I felt there was some improvement at the end of the season into the playoffs and he turned just 18,if it was 19 he would be gone,if Baisov is willing to stay in Canada all summer,train hours per day on his weaknesses I would consider keeping him.
Would hate to see him go home and because he turned 18 gets drafted and sent to war in The Ukraine,I would feel awful.
He is a likeable kid that his teammates love,some say he is the funniest kid on the team
Having the same agent as Sobolev may not hurt either,just hope for an easy resolution to this for me not just a hockey move.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Other players Spits could sign for upcoming season include player from 2 years ago winger Noah Morneau 18 who was outstanding in LaSalle last year before getting hurt near end of season,could be like a Peer like player,like I said was drafted in 2020 in the 15th round, players from 2021 draft include dman Jacob Crisp(17),dman Tanner Winnegard(17) both played well in Jr B this past season,Crisp in Oakville and Winnegard in La Salle as 16 year olds,forward Jack Greenwell (17) a Center/Winger also played in La Salle last year as a 16 year old,has tremendous speed needs to simply his game could be a keeper.
Ethan Martin (17) C/W had a cup of coffee here last season,played well 1G,1A in 4 games,was a 4th round pick last season,father played Mike Martin,was a Capt here in fact,hopefully a year in B helped the younger Martin,his dad owns a gym so I doubt conditioning will be an issue.
Another winger Max Frattaroli (17) ,late draft pick last year played very well for La Salle last year end of season callup,a point a game guy,aggressive, multi-sport kid plays lacrosse, could be one of those dark horse candidates.
From this year's draft aside from the 2 already signed that I mentioned above I can see Windsor signing Cen AJ Spellacy, perhaps a good look at 16 year old goalie Carter Froggett-6'2-190 ,big and athletic, another multi sport guy,also keep an eye on 16 year old dman Carson Woodson, wingers Cole Davis and Jack Dean,as well as 17 yr old dman Cameron Eke who was picked in the 1st rd of the U18 draft.
17 year old goalie drafted last year Joshua Branston will get a look too.
Not saying all will get signed but there are some real possibilities here.

Reactions: OHLTG and stips

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Isn't Sobolev eligible to play in the AHL?

If Spellacy reports that would be huge, he would have been a 1st round pick if he was fully committed to the OHL.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The Baisov thing is frustrating. He has offensive potential but we didn't see it. However, given where we pick, is it worth trying again? I don't know. If Bowler can get a sure-thing in here (reporting-wise), I'm okay with moving on. If not... Baisov again.
Baisov young and was not given much opportunity to shine. His enthusiasm is top notch. I think he can prove to be a worthy asset. Young imports have always struggled mostly by lack of ice on this team. It took Sobolev most of the year to start shining I'm suspect Medina is possibly someone who may want to get moved knowing Downey will likely be the the #2 after Onuska took the starting role. Can't blame him.

Reactions: OHLTG

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
With how watered down the import draft will be this season because of Russians and Belarusians not being included - Keepint Baisov could be the best option.
In normal years, Balarusians and Russians make up around 40% of the selections so there are limited quality imports up for grabs this year.

The good thing is Windsor is a desireable CHL franchise to come to so we shouldn’t have any troubles getting them to report.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
With how watered down the import draft will be this season because of Russians and Belarusians not being included - Keepint Baisov could be the best option.
In normal years, Balarusians and Russians make up around 40% of the selections so there are limited quality imports up for grabs this year.

The good thing is Windsor is a desireable CHL franchise to come to so we shouldn’t have any troubles getting them to report.
That is a really important point you make. Considering where the Spits finished their selection would be deep in a soft draft excluding Russians and Belarus.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Last topic I will mention tonight, is the head coaching job obviously held by Marc Savard.
Not saying he will leave for an NHL job for this coming season but should he accept one if offered I would offer the job to 2 people.
One, I would ask Eric Wellwood who now coaches the Newfoundland Growlers Maple Leaf farm club if he were interested, though with him would not surprise me if he winds up with Ottawa Senators as an assistant coach for DJ Smith.
Assuming he turns it down I would then approach Joey Hishon,former Owen Sound assistant coach and Gm who resigned today to see if he was interested.
The former 1st pick of Colorado Avalanche is looking for a new start somewhere and if Savard decides to leave he will be a smart pick up.
He is only turning 32 years old and has been an assistant coach for 4 years already after retiring because of a head injury suffered while playing pro hockey,ironically the same type of injury that ended Savard's career too years ago.
Tomorrow I will what the roster may look next year regardless who is behind the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad