Windsor Spitfires 2022 Off-season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits open camp Thursday Sept 1.
It will run 3 days total culminating in the Blue-White game Saturday Sept 3 at 4.00
As in other camps 3 teams will be skating / playing against each other,so e expect between 54-58 players at camp in total
Schedule or format is different then past years.
For example on day 1-Sept 1st the 3 squads will practice 1 hour each starting at 6PM and ending at 9
Then on Sept 2 a-day- 6 intrasquad games are scheduled where each team winds up playing 4 games
3 games in the morning starting at 9 am and ending at 12.45 or so
Then 3 games starting at 5 PM and and ending at around 8.45
Some cuts will be made to get down to
the 2 teams lineups for the Blue and White game on Sat Sept 3
Practice or Skills as referenced by the team for Sat Sept 3 are listed for 9 am Team White and 10.15 am for Team Blue
with the Blue and White game scheduled for 4 PM on the Saturday.
Assuming cuts will be made post game to get down to the exhibition roster,with the 1st exhibition game scheduled for Labor Day Sept 5 at 2 in Port Colborne vs Niagara Falls.

Reactions: three dog night

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'll stir the pot lol. Cuylle playing a defensive role and killing penalties at the WJC. lots of practice this past season with our over pinching D . Playing well with doing what he has been assigned. Go get the Gold 🇨🇦

Reactions: windsor7

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I'll stir the pot lol. Cuylle playing a defensive role and killing penalties at the WJC. lots of practice this past season with our over pinching D . Playing well with doing what he has been assigned. Go get the Gold 🇨🇦
I think he‘s been doing exactly what the coaches envisioned when he made the team. Not flashy but effective. Just like his NHL career will pan out to be.

Reactions: Cherrydon

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So not alot going on still. Lots of procedural stuff but thats it. Im told both Onuska and X expected at camp. Seems theres not much news on OA’s still which leads me to think all of them are in play. Believe the decision to go wont be made until pro returns are complete across the league. Which only makes sense to me. Some unease around the league as to who all reports, how things unfold post covid, returns from pro. Lots of “were just not sure” comments. Been a very long time since ive seen this many perplexed people lol.
Heres an unsubstantiated rumour for all you folks….i was told London might be ready to start a search for a new bench boss!! Someone more in tune with the “younger” player and their families!!!

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
So not alot going on still. Lots of procedural stuff but thats it. Im told both Onuska and X expected at camp. Seems theres not much news on OA’s still which leads me to think all of them are in play. Believe the decision to go wont be made until pro returns are complete across the league. Which only makes sense to me. Some unease around the league as to who all reports, how things unfold post covid, returns from pro. Lots of “were just not sure” comments. Been a very long time since ive seen this many perplexed people lol.
Heres an unsubstantiated rumour for all you folks….i was told London might be ready to start a search for a new bench boss!! Someone more in tune with the “younger” player and their families!!!

If anything, London will promote Dylan Hunter to the Head Coaching position. It's a "family business", after all, and they do intend to keep ALL of the money in the family. What's the salary range for a head coach these days ? That's how much they'd have to shell out to a non-family member, should they go that direction. Sorry, but this rumour has no legs...given the Hunter family history.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
Here how i see the roster
LWCRWLDRDG
SmithJohnstonMaggioDeAngelisRenwickOnuska
MiedemaAbrahamChristopoulosHebekSobolevDowney
O'FlahertyMailletPeerJodoinCristoforo
MorneauMartinGreentreeRide
BirkettSpellacyGreenwell

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
If anything, London will promote Dylan Hunter to the Head Coaching position. It's a "family business", after all, and they do intend to keep ALL of the money in the family. What's the salary range for a head coach these days ? That's how much they'd have to shell out to a non-family member, should they go that direction. Sorry, but this rumour has no legs...given the Hunter family history.
Normally id agree, and i cant substantiate so…..But many i talk to have said London isnt the attraction it once was and its mainly because of how the show is run. Slipping jr. In doesnt fix that issue! They still gotta pay themselves a wage too. He aint workin for free!! Dunno, could be nothing but where there's smoke….

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
LWCRWLDRDG
BirkettSpellacyGreenwell

A couple of points, I think Johnston starts the season in Dallas and then returns after 9 games played or less,Birkett though signed along with Greenwell who isn't are in tough to make the squad and to a lesser degree Ethan Martin who I think does crack the squad.
Other forwards to be considered would be winger Luke Fritz (18) and RW Max Frattaroli (17)
On the backend I agree with the 7 listed though I do see Tanner Winegard (17) and Jacob Crisp(17) pushing for a spot and possibly seeing Jodoin moved upfront if the forwards I mentioned plus Birkett and Greenwell not making the squad.
In goal also agree with 0nuska and Downey being listed with Medina being dealt.
OA forward Josh Currie would be moved too,assuming Mathew Maggio doesn't turn pro with the Islanders.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Normally id agree, and i cant substantiate so…..But many i talk to have said London isnt the attraction it once was and its mainly because of how the show is run. Slipping jr. In doesnt fix that issue! They still gotta pay themselves a wage too. He aint workin for free!! Dunno, could be nothing but where there's smoke….
Not sure where you are getting this from but the Hunters are staying put for now. No team is in the market for a head coach 2 weeks before training camp opens.

With the Hunters owning the team they are most definitely grooming family members to take over. The only way they would look outside if said family members don't want the job or if the team is struggling and new blood is required. The Knights aren't struggling. They may have a bit of a downturn this year but their recruiting will plug in a few holes they need to stay in the conversation.

Reactions: Purple Phart

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While I can see X and Onuska in camp, I don't expect X to stick around. The crease should, in theory, belong to Onuska with Downey getting a chance to show his game.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I said, starting, to look at it. Certainly not this year lol. That would be just dumb, im old lol but still not dumb!

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
LWCRWLDRDG
BirkettSpellacyGreenwell
I can’t see Bronson Ride being the 7th D this season. He‘s a guy that will get alot of NHL interest since it’s his draft year. I thought he played well last season and with where Windsor selected him, he should be a top 6 guy. Jodoin is once again the odd man out in myopinion.

I also don’t know how Spellacy isn’t on the opening night lineup. He wouldn’t have signed with the Spits if he wasn’t guaranteed a roster spot, similar to O’Flaherty last year.

Reactions: Section 103

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Spellacy will be there over Morneau. He was 50/50 to come to the OHL, so you managed to recruit and sign him... and now you sit him? Not happening. Out of the 15 forwards listed, I expect Birkett, Morneau, and Greenwell to be 13-15th forwards, barring a trade.

As for the D - again, Ride isn't going to keep sitting. He was the top pick of the second round in 2021. He'll get in over Jodoin.

Reactions: Section 103

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spellacy will be there over Morneau. He was 50/50 to come to the OHL, so you managed to recruit and sign him... and now you sit him? Not happening. Out of the 15 forwards listed, I expect Birkett, Morneau, and Greenwell to be 13-15th forwards, barring a trade.

As for the D - again, Ride isn't going to keep sitting. He was the top pick of the second round in 2021. He'll get in over Jodoin.
Of the 15 forwards listed I see Johnston starting the year in Dallas,Greenwell in a battle with Birkett,Luke Fritz,Max Frattaroli to make the team ,with Morneau and Spellacy in the starting 12 forwards.
Greentree would be the 13th battling with Ethan Martin.
D wise battles between Jodoin,Winegard,Crisp,Hebek and Cristoforo, to be the 2 starters besides Sobolev, DeAngilis, Ride and Renwick
Will be interesting competition at the D spot.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I can’t see Bronson Ride being the 7th D this season. He‘s a guy that will get alot of NHL interest since it’s his draft year. I thought he played well last season and with where Windsor selected him, he should be a top 6 guy. Jodoin is once again the odd man out in myopinion.

I also don’t know how Spellacy isn’t on the opening night lineup. He wouldn’t have signed with the Spits if he wasn’t guaranteed a roster spot, similar to O’Flaherty last year.

You could make the case Jodoin shouldn't even be on the roster.

• Haha
Reactions: Travis Bickle 77

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
You could make the case Jodoin shouldn't even be on the roster.
Don't agree with your assertions regarding Jodoin,found him to be a valuable, character player ,tough and physical, with a sneaky good shot,popular with teammates,versatile capable of playing upfront or on D,type of player I don't mind having on my team moving forward.

Reactions: Travis Bickle 77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad