Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Some thoughts now that I'm able to...

- Not necessarily a sluggish start, but an up-and-down one. The 3-in-3 was catching up to them and it showed. It doesn't matter how much you play that sequence, you're going to feel it and they did. Bursts of energy, but a lot of fatigue.
- I wasn't really sure they were going to score before the third period. Lots of chances but Barrie seemed to stop everything.
- The Teddy Bear goal was huge, not only for Morneau but for momentum. That lit a fire under them and it was a new team.
- That said, the disallowed goal was the TSN Turning Point. Instead of 2-2 and the Spits being tired, it was 2-1, then 3-1 shortly after and they're full of life. I couldn't see the goal/non-goal from my end so can't comment on whether it was a good call or not.
- I didn't see how the Spellacy fight started; far too quick overall. That said, props on the kid for going.
- Miedema's goal was a beast; the move along the boards, then to get into a shooting position, AND to get it high glove? I believe I said "ohhhh $h!t" at the rink lol
- I like the move by Peer to slide it to Smith for the EN goal. Unselfish.
- This is the team we knew we had, even during the slide. They got the reset during practice last week; now it's time for execution. It's not always going to be easy but it'll be a fun ride.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well very interesting weekend. My predictor sense never imagined winning all 3 so need to shut that down for awhile. Not sure how Bowler approaches the trade deadline now? I'm still in the soft sell stand pat mind set but will support whatever Bowler decides. Hard buy and another championship run would be fun but they would pay for that for the next few years. Don't think that is in Bowlers DNA.

The game itself - tough to play in those games. Sticks get clinched a bit until someone scores. Real nice goal by Morneau! Seemed to me more bears this year?

Spits caught a break on the goalie interference call but Barrie caught a break on the penalty shot call so they cancel each other out. Barrie carried the play in the third but the always belighened D kept most of the play to the outside and limited their chances. Sobolev and DeAngelis played a real strong game. We have 2 solid D with them.

All in all a fun night. Fans went home happy.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
He coasted into him. He didn’t skate thru him. He wasn’t defenceless. Not sure how you can say it was charging.
Excellent point,great hit no charge on the play.
As for Spits and their 3 win weekend nicely done,pretty much everybody contributed, both goalies with bounce back weekends,both with 2.00 averages for weekend, Excellent defense team and unit wise overall especially when 2 games out of 3 were against foes who didn't play the night before,forwards the scoring,14 goals plus 2 empty netters and 2 G from D,more physical in games past.
Spits are now 3-1-0-1 in their 5 games.
Peer(7),Smith(7),Christopoulis (5) line had 19 points this weekend including 8 goals,the Maillet (4),Maggio (3),Greentree (4) line had 11 points in the 3 games including 5 goals,
Morneau (3),Miedema (3),O'Flaherty (2) line had 3 goals and 8 points this weekend.
Noah Morneau becoming quite the dependable player now has 10 points in 22 games played,used in many situations and with Abraham out has played very well.
Excellent value for a 15th round pick I would say.
Colton Smith started the 3 game set with 14 points now has 21 points,while Oliver Peer started the same 3 game set with 22 points,now has 29 points after his 7 point weekend.
Amazing last year at this time last season in 14 games played he had 1 point,a goal,would say most improved player in the league from last year.
From the defense while not alot of points were registered by the D,only 6,Christoforo (3),Renwick(2),Ride(1), as a unit they were solid,helped by the team playing a 1-2-2 system for all 3 games.
As mentioned goaltending excellent by both Onuska and Costanzo each night.
Special teams Windsor went 2-6,PP and 7/8 on the PK
Pretty much a near perfect weekend.
Should note Windsor with 115 GF leads the league in that category Ottawa has 114 with 1 less game played.
Interesting last year with Wyatt Johnston and Will Cuylle and others had 103 goals for and 90 against excluding empty netters this year Windsor has allowed to date 91 goals excluding empty netters difference of 1.
Last season from this time on they added,Onuska,Perrott and Currie,and moved Ladd and McDonald.
Will be curious to see what will occur this year.
Would love to acquire an 04 born D,that returns next year that will be in our top 3
Don't need another forward imo,scoring 16 goals this past weekend plus thev2 empty netters without Abraham was pretty good.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
As for Spits and their 3 win weekend nicely done,pretty much everybody contributed, both goalies with bounce back weekends,both with 2.00 averages for weekend, Excellent defense team and unit wise overall especially when 2 games out of 3 were against foes who didn't play the night before,forwards the scoring,14 goals plus 2 empty netters and 2 G from D,more physical in games past.
Peer(7),Smith(7),Christopoulis (5) line had 19 points this weekend including 8 goals,the Maillet (4),Maggio (3),Greentree (4) line had 11 points in the 3 games including 5 goals,
Morneau (3),Miedema (3),O'Flaherty (2) line had 3 goals and 8 points this weekend.
Noah Morneau becoming quite the dependable player now has 10 points in 22 games played,used in many situations and with Abraham out has played very well.
Colton Smith started the 3 game set with 14 points now has 21 points,while Oliver Peer started the same 3 game set with 22 points,now has 29 points after his 7 point weekend.
Amazing last year at this time last season in 14 games played he had 1 point,a goal,would say most improved player in the league from last year.
From the defense while not alot of points were registered by the D,only 6,Christoforo (3),Renwick(2),Ride(1), as a unit they were solid,helped by the team playing a 1-2-2 system for all 3 games.
Should note Windsor with 115 GF leads the league in that category Ottawa has 114 with 1 less game played.
Interesting last year with Wyatt Johnston and Will Cuylle and others had 103 goals for and 90 against excluding empty netters this year Windsor has allowed to date 91 goals excluding empty netters difference of 1.
Last season from this time on they added,Onuska,Perrott and Currie,and moved Ladd and McDonald.
Would love to acquire an 04 born D,that returns next year that will be in our top 3
Don't need another forward imo,scoring 16 goals this past weekend plus thev2 empty netters without Abraham was pretty good.
im guessing the competition the past week was really strong too......

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
agreed.
however i dont also spew stats that are moved around too..
Yes
You usually spew negativity on this forum even when things are going good.
Hard to find any overwhelming bad stuff when a team goes on a 3-0 weekend back to back to back regardless of opposition.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Yes
You usually spew negativity on this forum even when things are going good.
Hard to find any overwhelming bad stuff when a team goes on a 3-0 weekend back to back to back regardless of opposition.
just a difference of opinion.
u can view it however u choose that is up to u.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Just curious as to why you always exclude empty net goals for GA better never exclude them for GF. I’m you do it for one you really should do it for the other. Also flint has 114 gf in 1 more game played and Ottawa has 111 in 1 less game.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just curious as to why you always exclude empty net goals for GA better never exclude them for GF. I’m you do it for one you really should do it for the other. Also flint has 114 gf in 1 more game played and Ottawa has 111 in 1 less game.
I would it in terms of goals for all teams not just Windsor
And I am well aware of games played by teams.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
selective...

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
And just like that we trail 1st place Saginaw by 2 points, with a game in hand. In my opinion we needed to come through this weekend with a minimum of 5 points to even talk about staying in the race. They got 6. Not unexpected given the opponents, but still tough especially when rolling a bench of 17 and 3 games within roughly 50 hours.

Averaged 6 Goals per Game For - 2 Goals against. A lot easier to win when you're only giving up 2 a game. I'll slide a bit of the applause to coaching on that one. Thursday was only the 2nd time we gave up less than 4 since London beat us in our barn last month.

I look at the sellable pieces for a consecutively competitive team, and there's not much there. I imagine this deadline is less eventful than last year, but wouldn't be surprised with a few minor depth moves.
Nothing against the kids, but Johnston and McLlwan haven't struck me as locks in this lineup and being 03's aren't working in their favor as we already have 3 superior 03 forwards. Hopefully as time goes on they'll surprise me, but if we're looking to upgrade, I look there.

This may be a bold prediction a couple years out, but I think out 06' crop will all be drafted. They're all fitting in at this level and adjusting much quicker than any rookie crop I can remember. Spellacy's speed and aggressiveness, Christoforo's awareness and puck moving from the blue line, and Greentree's crashing the net and starting to put pucks in. Say what negative you will about "You know it's bad when they're relying on rookies", but as 16 year old's they are actively helping this team in the here and now.

Maybe I'm just ignorant to the quirks of Jr. B players and their stipulations, but what's the point of calling up Martin and Graniero and then dressing 17 skaters? I understand a bit with Kitchener if it was "well we got 18, we don't have to take them on the trip" and then one gets ill. But at home the following night, I just thought adjustments would be made to play with a full lineup rather than rolling two healthy scratches. I don't follow La Salle at all so I'm genuinely curious. Is it a playing "x" amount of games will burn a card thing?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
And just like that we trail 1st place Saginaw by 2 points, with a game in hand. In my opinion we needed to come through this weekend with a minimum of 5 points to even talk about staying in the race. They got 6. Not unexpected given the opponents, but still tough especially when rolling a bench of 17 and 3 games within roughly 50 hours.

Averaged 6 Goals per Game For - 2 Goals against. A lot easier to win when you're only giving up 2 a game. I'll slide a bit of the applause to coaching on that one. Thursday was only the 2nd time we gave up less than 4 since London beat us in our barn last month.

I look at the sellable pieces for a consecutively competitive team, and there's not much there. I imagine this deadline is less eventful than last year, but wouldn't be surprised with a few minor depth moves.
Nothing against the kids, but Johnston and McLlwan haven't struck me as locks in this lineup and being 03's aren't working in their favor as we already have 3 superior 03 forwards. Hopefully as time goes on they'll surprise me, but if we're looking to upgrade, I look there.

This may be a bold prediction a couple years out, but I think out 06' crop will all be drafted. They're all fitting in at this level and adjusting much quicker than any rookie crop I can remember. Spellacy's speed and aggressiveness, Christoforo's awareness and puck moving from the blue line, and Greentree's crashing the net and starting to put pucks in. Say what negative you will about "You know it's bad when they're relying on rookies", but as 16 year old's they are actively helping this team in the here and now.

Maybe I'm just ignorant to the quirks of Jr. B players and their stipulations, but what's the point of calling up Martin and Graniero and then dressing 17 skaters? I understand a bit with Kitchener if it was "well we got 18, we don't have to take them on the trip" and then one gets ill. But at home the following night, I just thought adjustments would be made to play with a full lineup rather than rolling two healthy scratches. I don't follow La Salle at all so I'm genuinely curious. Is it a playing "x" amount of games will burn a card thing?
Junior players can't play more than 3 in a row. LaSalle had games as well. Also need to keep the 9 games played low until they are needed on the final push.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Junior players can't play more than 3 in a row. LaSalle had games as well. Also need to keep the 9 games played low until they are needed on the final push.
You are correct on both counts,had either Martin or Grenerio suited up ,because they both played Wednesday,for La Salle,Thursday for Windsor,one or both could have played Friday,then not play Saturday, then play Sunday for La Salle,so Windsor went with McLlwain Friday and Saturday, and kept both Martin and Grenerio out to play with La Salle Friday and today.
Pretty sure the Jodoin illness was sudden like Friday in the am, I spoke to him Thursday and he said he was doing great,probably brought up McLlwain in place of Jodoin for Friday and Saturday.
McLlwain is close to the 9 game limit if not right on because 2 or 3 games didn't count at start of the season before the NHL season started

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Say what negative you will about "You know it's bad when they're relying on rookies", but as 16 year old's they are actively helping this team in the here and now.

I would 100% rather hear "they're relying on rookies??" (which isn't true, but...) than "where are our rookies? Bowler can't draft again!" When three drafted rookies, plus one acquired, are contributing this much, you're doing something right.

McLlwain is close to the 9 game limit if not right on because 2 or 3 games didn't count at start of the season before the NHL season started

McLlwain is currently at 8 games (10 minus the two games that occurred prior to the first official NHL reg season game this season).

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
just my 2 cents as someone who follows all drafts extensively - but I don’t think this is at all a bold prediction - the only guy I might have a little pause over is Greentree; Cristoforo and Spellacy could very well be guys taken in the first 2 rounds.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
just my 2 cents as someone who follows all drafts extensively - but I don’t think this is at all a bold prediction - the only guy I might have a little pause over is Greentree; Cristoforo and Spellacy could very well be guys taken in the first 2 rounds.
While I agree about Christoforo and Spellacy,I do think at the end of the day Greentree will also be taken in the 1st 2 rounds of the 2024 draft.
He has fit in pretty well in his last 3 games lining up with Maillet and Maggio,2G,2A in those games and a scoring threat throughout, He is physical and can handle himself.
Am looking forward to his continued development.
On another note after today's action Spits are currently in 3rd place in the West ,2 points behind Saginaw for 1st,with Windsor having a game in hand.
London moved into 2nd place ahead of Owen Sound today with 35 points.
Spits now are in 3rd place in the GF dept. with 115,Flint has 118 and is #1,though Windsor has 2 games in hand,while Ottawa from the East has 117,and they have played the same number of games as Windsor.
Interesting 2 teams will play each other here on Thursday.

Last edited:
Reactions: DetSpitsFan

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
While I agree about Christoforo and Spellacy,I do think at the end of the day Greentree will also be taken in the 1st 2 rounds of the 2024 draft.
He has fit in pretty well in his last 3 games lining up with Maillet and Maggio,2G,2A in those games and a scoring threat throughout, He is physical and can handle himself.
Am looking forward to his continued development.
On another note after today's action Spits are currently in 3rd place in the West ,2 points behind Saginaw for 1st,with Windsor having a game in hand.
London moved into 2nd place ahead of Owen Sound today with 35 points.
Spits now are in 3rd place in the GF dept. with 115,Flint has 118 and is #1,though Windsor has 2 games in hand,while Ottawa from the East has 117,and they have played the same number of games as Windsor.
Interesting 2 teams will play each other here on Thursday.
Cristoforo and Spellacy have some elite traits that scouts are going to love come draft day.

Cristoforo it’s his two-way play, poise and offensive ability’s - his size will come to be questioned but his elite mind will maybe allow a team to draft him in the first round.

Spellacy it’s his size, skating and motor - questions about his IQ will be prevalent but his tools are very good for a prospective NHL prospect.

As for Greentree - he doesn’t have a standout trait/traits that most top two/three round players have. He is just a well rounded player that does most everything good but not anything great. He is isn’t afraid of going to the front of the net, or battling in corners and is quite good at them for his age, but that alone isn’t going to get him drafted that high in my opinion - he reminds me a bit of Graham Knott and I think we can all agree he shouldn’t have gone as high as he did.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I would 100% rather hear "they're relying on rookies??" (which isn't true, but...) than "where are our rookies? Bowler can't draft again!" When three drafted rookies, plus one acquired, are contributing this much, you're doing something right.

McLlwain is currently at 8 games (10 minus the two games that occurred prior to the first official NHL reg season game this season).
OHlTG

Who is the acquired rookie you wrote about
If it's Costanzo, he is not a rookie as he played 17 games in goal for Niagara last yr.
I am sure he is glad he still isn't there still, especially since Niagara got beat today by Sudbury 13-2 .

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
OHlTG

Who is the acquired rookie you wrote about
If it's Costanzo, he is not a rookie as he played 17 games in goal for Niagara last yr.
I am sure he is glad he still isn't there still, especially since Niagara got beat today by Sudbury 13-2 .

While I thought the same thing re: Costanzo's status, he's officially listed as a "rookie" on the OHL page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad