Windsor Spitfires 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ok so its 1 off game and its been coming. A solid team learns from it and moves on. Next game is important to show a rebound. Why are folks questioning O? Does he look hurt? If so thats a crazy decision to play him with so many goalies around!! Im guessing hes gotten comfortable….that happens when theres no real competition behind you. Not to say #2 isnt decent, lets see what hes made off. He needs to rebound as well. This is the kind of game you have when everything goes your way and young teams get cocky, I anticipated this kinda game. No concern unless it becomes a problem. Team was also without some quality guys. None of these are excuses simple facts. I will call it out if its an issue. The young talent here is pretty solid im interested to see how they mature. Concerns? Need a D man, older, stronger, calmer net clearer, id like to see the forwards back a bit quicker, Meidema….

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Ok so its 1 off game and its been coming. A solid team learns from it and moves on. Next game is important to show a rebound. Why are folks questioning O? Does he look hurt? If so thats a crazy decision to play him with so many goalies around!! Im guessing hes gotten comfortable….that happens when theres no real competition behind you. Not to say #2 isnt decent, lets see what hes made off. He needs to rebound as well. This is the kind of game you have when everything goes your way and young teams get cocky, I anticipated this kinda game. No concern unless it becomes a problem. Team was also without some quality guys. None of these are excuses simple facts. I will call it out if its an issue. The young talent here is pretty solid im interested to see how they mature. Concerns? Need a D man, older, stronger, calmer net clearer, id like to see the forwards back a bit quicker, Meidema….
Have to say I've had concerns for Meidema but as of late he has played much better. Seems to me the drive has really stepped up. I'm glad to see this as we do need his skills and he looks like he is closer to the force we inticipated.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Sorry a bit late catching up,feeling under the weather, fortunately passed the covid test
Agree with most of what you brought up,though 1 thing does concern me,here's Windsor 8-1-3 after 12 games,their#1 goalie who has played in 9 of them,currently is the 18th best goalie in the league stats wise,the only guy in the top 18 whose average is over 4 it's 4.01,save percentage is .875 4th worst in the top 18,Onuska has to be alot better he was very good the previous before last night,and we can't just blame the D here,because because the back up is at 2.89 goals against average and .912 save percentage.
Makes me think sometimes that we kept the wrong goalie,should have kept both till Dec mid,so what if u burn a card,we didn't use 2 last year despite our successes, and if Johnston sticks as it looks like it would have been saved for him.
I think Medina would have given Onuska a run for his money,now I think at least temporarily Costanzo should get more work, in other words,2 of the next 3 starts.
In other areas both special teams especially the PP have improved the last few games,in the last 3 the PP has gone 8/16.
Now the PP is rated 8th and the PK is13th
alot better then when it was 20th and 18th,even though Windsor was winning anyways.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Watching the game last night I thought gee maybe Downey Costanzo tandem would have worked lol. Honestly Downey was never shown much confidence by the team. Yes he struggled and was inconsistent last year but they went and got Onuska and then this year grabbed Costanzo..Great moves for the team not so much for Downey. Hoping Onuska just had a bad game and will recover. His numbers do not say starter right now by a mile. I was not impressed how he sulked off the ice heading for the exit before anyone on the team could greet him. There was a game earlier in the year where Onuska won the game and wouldn't acknowledge Costanzo congratulations to him when the team greets the goalie after a game.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Have to say I've had concerns for Meidema but as of late he has played much better. Seems to me the drive has really stepped up. I'm glad to see this as we do need his skills and he looks like he is closer to the force we inticipated.
Agreed - he has his “Miedema” moments but he has been better, I especially like him on PP1 - good at creating space for the rest of the team and has been a big reason why PP went from 20th - 8th.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Great news for Johnston. Nill was quoted to say he does have the option to send him back later in the season. Something we all new is a possibility but unlikely.

Reactions: windsor7

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
On the plus side, we can tell that Johnston would be more of a luxury than a "WE NEED YOU!!" at this point.
If the Spits are to make any major noise this year they need Johnston or a player just like him.
Now I'm happy with how the Spits have played so far and they will be a competitive team this year but after the trade deadline if the Spits don't have Johnston or a similar player they may very well may be out gunned by other teams that have loaded up. You can look north to the Soo last year and see what happens if you don't make any significant moves. Johnston would be a major upgrade at no cost. Don't really think this will happen at this point but maybe a nice Christmas wish!

Reactions: TheGremlin

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Our significant deadline move was losing Dickinson.
Big loss for sure but not really a planned move .

Which hurt. Significantly. Last year was a unique season but Flint didn’t make any deadline moves either.
Yes and without any moves they got to the 3rd round. Impressive but to get over the top it takes a couple of significant player moves. Spits did not quite do enough either. Hamilton with their moves paid off.

Reactions: rve24

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Was hoping to get to the WFCU for a game but will leaving Thursday. At least I can grab a Capri Super.

A question about parking. I haven't had to park their for a Spits game, just minor hockey.
I recall some complaints a couple years back but nothing lately. Has it smoothed itself out or any advice?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Don't hate any player or any team but he didn't seem like a significant add to me. Just seemed "average" out there. Now I didn't look at stats so maybe a quiet good that I did not notice?
Jack Thompson lead the Greyhounds in points in the postseason. Only two shy of Arber Xhekaj for most playoff points for a defenseman. Was a hugely impactful addition in every way.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Jack Thompson lead the Greyhounds in points in the postseason. Only two shy of Arber Xhekaj for most playoff points for a defenseman. Was a hugely impactful addition in every way.
Actually Louka Henault for Windsor also had 16 points in the playoffs for Windsor.
And Andrew Perrott and Michael Renwick for Windsor both had 14 points in last year's playoffs.

Reactions: HockeyPops

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Was hoping to get to the WFCU for a game but will leaving Thursday. At least I can grab a Capri Super.

A question about parking. I haven't had to park their for a Spits game, just minor hockey.
I recall some complaints a couple years back but nothing lately. Has it smoothed itself out or any advice?
Get there by 6:30 and you will have no issue parking. After that it starts to fill in. Lots of people come later and get a spot but if you miss out you have to catch the bus from Tecumseh Mall. Some just take the bus to avoid coming early and it is only 3 bucks and you get a return voucher. Direct between mall and arena, a 3 minute bus ride. I always get there early so don't take the bus. Parking lot is usually empty by 15 minutes after the game.

Actually Louka Henault for Windsor also had 16 points in the playoffs for Windsor.
And Andrew Perrott and Michael Renwick for Windsor both had 14 points in last year's playoffs.
After 2 rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad