Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Not unless you pay through the nose

I agree that he wouldn't be a cheap hire but that would be their chance to show they're committed to this club.

Rayzor pointed out his experience and what he's done, Teflon pointed out the positives of him playing a part in the recruiting process. Time to invest in this team if they want to restore value to it.

Do what it takes to get Wellwood here if he's going to continue coaching and give him full autonomy to hire his own staff.

As many have suggested or suspected Bowler has been restrained in what he can do as a GM, if this is the case let him loose and actually see what he can do. If he hasn't been restrained then I would consider other options.

Start getting a scouting staff back together.

Time for ownership to step up. You own the team, it's your responsibility to ensure all the tool's needed for it to be successful are there. The last few years it's been less than stellar, time to act like you want to own the team or move on. If they continue to run it like this they'll lose money and if they sell it they'll lose money if things don't change.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
No question faub. But, they gutted the scouting staff way before covid, they’ve shown no interest in loosening the reigns. Welly would not only bolster the things we spoke of, but he’ll put asses in the seats too. He’s smart, kids will listen to him and he’ll have things to prove. Smart hire all around. But only if the owners are willing to invest to either make the team better or more marketable. If not, all bets are off!!

Reactions: member 71782

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Star has been bad last few years.
They r lucky they r the only paper....
There are some very good reporters on the Windsor star. The reason the Star is not as good a read as it has been is a combination
of the Older reporters retiring or being "retired"and news being gathered and sent to us from others. Local news is the hardest hit. We used to have at least 3 very good people on the Sports beat.
Now we have only Jim Parker. Once he retires or gets shoved out the door We'll be S.O.L. We had good local news & politcal reporters.
Look whats happened to local radio...anyone listen to Mike and Lisa now that Beller was sent packing...Radio and Newspapers have cut costs in
order to survive and quality has suffered.

member 71782

No question faub. But, they gutted the scouting staff way before covid, they’ve shown no interest in loosening the reigns. Welly would not only bolster the things we spoke of, but he’ll put asses in the seats too. He’s smart, kids will listen to him and he’ll have things to prove. Smart hire all around. But only if the owners are willing to invest to either make the team better or more marketable. If not, all bets are off!!

Fully agree.

If they were to try to bring in Wellwood they have to support him. He's showing he's a talented young coach who can get things done in the situations he's been in. My point would be if they were to hire him they need to do what it takes to support him. Invest in the scouts, invest in the GMs role and let people do their jobs.

If they aren't willing to do what it takes then there's not a lot of reason for Wellwood to take the job.

Plain and simple, do it right or don't do it. Enough with this micro managing things. If they have no interest in letting people run the team right then sell it and put it in the hands of people who want to build a winner. I know they want to recoup their investment but they're going to take a loss somewhere be it in a sale or in the day to day operations if they're not willing to invest. Which one costs them more seems to be the issue right now and my guess is it's more beneficial to take the losses year over year than to take the loss on the sale.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
As much as I would like to see Wellwood behind the bench I'm not sure this is a "safe" fit for him. As suggested above he will be looking at a next step and the Spits represent a lateral move. Wellwood is fully aware of the situation in Windsor. A team that may or may not be sold and depending on who buys the team a coaching job here may not be too secure for the future. Would not be the first time a team is bought by a former NHL player that wants to try their hand at coaching. Have to remember how TL became a head coach on the market.
Maybe Eric and Kyle buy the team and set themselves up for the near future, who knows , but as it stands now I don't see Eric stepping into this house of cards.

Reactions: member 71782

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The key point in this article is Welly says that he is not walking away from coaching. He would be a great fit in Windsor, but I suspect that he is headed to the NHL as an assistant or head coach in the AHL.

At some point I think that would be in the cards but Wellwood is still pretty young at 31. Couple years as an assistant, couple years as a head coach. By taking another head coaching job in the OHL he may finally get the opportunity to put his stamp on things. Was probably on his way to doing that in Flint but alas.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The question is - if the Firebirds hadn't been a mess, does Wellwood return for another season? If yes, Windsor is an option. If no, maybe he was looking for more and a pro job comes up.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Don’t think he’s ready for a pro gig yet. But the job here MUST fit him as said above. With no support he doesn’t come. I guess the Savages have a decision to make that now is very public. Do they show everyone they are willing to do what’s needed or do they continue to go cheap and show Windsor what’s in store until it’s sold? Whatever they do everyone is going to be very aware.

member 71782

The worst thing Wellwood could do is take the wrong job be it in Windsor, the pros or elsewhere. He needs to find a position that isn't about a team looking to fill with an up and coming name, he needs a team that is willing to show they want to support him along with the team/organization from top to bottom.

Right now, Windsor isn't that team based on the last couple of years. If they are willing to be that team then IMO they need to show him before he signs anything. Any coach they bring in would want to see it unless it's simply someone in need of a job and Windsor simply needs a coach behind the bench.

Agree with Teflon, he's not quite ready for a pro gig... yet. If can come into another spot in JRs and do what he did in Flint then that's likely his ticket to the next level. Time for the Savages to put up or shut up when it comes to this team. There's a golden opportunity staring them in the face and all they have to do is give a s*** about this team and make the investments needed to build a successful franchise. Hiring Wellwood isn't the first step, probably the second or third. If they wanted someone of Wellwood's caliber they need to show him they're for real as owners.

I think Wellwood gets a HC job somewhere this year but I don't think it'll be Windsor.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Jim Parker reports Jean-Luc Foudy signs 3-yr entry deal with Colorado.
Great to hear Foudy has signed entry deal. We just have to hope that the NHL agreement with the OHL stays the way it is. Rumours of changes have been circulating for a couple of years..

stips

Apr 3, 2016
I would venture to guess that nothing changes with the Spits management. Less reorganizing, or money being spent. Status quo with mediocre results being the norm. Sound right?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I would venture to guess that nothing changes with the Spits management. Less reorganizing, or money being spent. Status quo with mediocre results being the norm. Sound right?

Unfortunately u may be right..

member 71782

I would agree that this is the likely direction with any changes not being what most fans would consider positive. Now could they surprise us? Sure but I wouldn't bet on it.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
What does that tell the fans, players, parents and others involved then?!?! Tells me ownership has checked out. Doesn’t care about any of the above and this team is just an afterthought. If that’s the case the level of disgust I have multiplies tremendously. Sincerely hope that’s not the case.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
What does that tell the fans, players, parents and others involved then?!?! Tells me ownership has checked out. Doesn’t care about any of the above and this team is just an afterthought. If that’s the case the level of disgust I have multiplies tremendously. Sincerely hope that’s not the case.

You and Faub are on the right track. It makes sense on many levels but most likely it doesn't make sense in the minds of ownership and management. In their minds there probably is very little reason to letting Letowski move on and hire Wellwood. Letowski can stick around because ownership likes him and at this point this isn't a Letowski/Bowler issue this is a ownership issue. That being said if Letowski came back I am sure this would be close to a scene at WFCU.

CC-UTHqUgAAZ1Qi.jpg

There's a terrific chance one of those 3 is OHLTG.

EnjoytheO

Keeping up
Aug 11, 2017
GTA
You and Faub are on the right track. It makes sense on many levels but most likely it doesn't make sense in the minds of ownership and management. In their minds there probably is very little reason to letting Letowski move on and hire Wellwood. Letowski can stick around because ownership likes him and at this point this isn't a Letowski/Bowler issue this is a ownership issue. That being said if Letowski came back I am sure this would be close to a scene at WFCU.

CC-UTHqUgAAZ1Qi.jpg

There's a terrific chance one of those 3 is OHLTG.
If I remember correctly, those 3 guys watched that team win the Pennant.

Reactions: sbpointer and OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad