Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Fair enough, I don't disagree with many of those opinions regarding the returning players, however 2 years is a long time and when you are talking about teenagers a lot can change in two years. Guys get bigger and stronger, more capable and willing to clear the net or blast a slap shot. Lets see if they do or don't before spending assets to correct what could be less of a problem than anticipated, or lets see if some of the new guys can bring those elements. We traded some assets for Renwick already and he hasn't played a game for us yet. I'm just saying I think it's too early to say with any certainty that its a problem.
Personally the D is not a weakness at all, Renwick will be a legit top pair guy who can shut down other teams top players, him and Henault will be a premier pair in the league this year. Sobolev also has a lot of potential and is a right shot D as well, plays a physical game. Between him, Ladd and Renwick, the right side is very good and no other teams save maybe London can compete with that right now. I agree Robinson taking that turn that’s expected is key for the top 4, as ideally we’d run L and R on each pair.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Personally the D is not a weakness at all, Renwick will be a legit top pair guy who can shut down other teams top players, him and Henault will be a premier pair in the league this year. Sobolev also has a lot of potential and is a right shot D as well, plays a physical game. Between him, Ladd and Renwick, the right side is very good and no other teams save maybe London can compete with that right now. I agree Robinson taking that turn that’s expected is key for the top 4, as ideally we’d run L and R on each pair.

I think that's a large ask of Renwick. Maybe the Spits can get him to that level but he's 19 and only played 77 OHL games. There are probably very few of those types around.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I think that's a large ask of Renwick. Maybe the Spits can get him to that level but he's 19 and only played 77 OHL games. There are probably very few of those types around.
Its funny, although Renwick only has 77 OHL games, its probably more games than 60% of the league has played so hes basically a veteran now.
That makes me wonder who is the most experienced player that is set to play in the OHL?

Edit:
Liam Ross is poised to be the most experienced player set to return to the OHL with 199GP (Reg Season and P/O)
D'amico is #2 with 197
Brandon Coe is #3 with 196

Could Ross be someone Windsor has intrest in?

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Its funny, although Renwick only has 77 OHL games, its probably more games than 60% of the league has played so hes basically a veteran now.
That makes me wonder who is the most experienced player that is set to play in the OHL?

Edit:
Liam Ross is poised to be the most experienced player set to return to the OHL with 199GP (Reg Season and P/O)
D'amico is #2 with 197
Brandon Coe is #3 with 196

Could Ross be someone Windsor has intrest in?

Re Ross probably not despite his experience
Interesting I was going to say the same thing re experience in the league especially Defense
For example I wonder why at this time some are saying London should finish in the top 3 in standings yet their defense of 4, Mailloux (4),Montgomery (33),Roger (36),Keane(84) have a combined total of 157 OHL games experience Windsor in comparison has 370 OHL games experience
Louka Henault with 170 games experience beats the London D all 4 of them combined,as well Ladd with 156 games is only 1 less then the entire London team
Here are rest of Windsor's OHL experience from the D,Renwick (77),
Robinson (63),Jodoin (4)
Toss in the fact that London's best dman Mailloux will almost miss half the season 29 games minimum due to suspension makes me wonder what people are thinking.

Reactions: LeProspector

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Did research for the entire OHL re experience in games from every teams defense coming into this season
Here are the results, in brackets are the number of dmen that have OHL experience

1- Owen Sound-664- (5)
2- Barrie Colts 586- (6)
3- Mississauga 381-(5)
4- WINDSOR 370- (5)
5- Oshawa 367-(4)
6- Kingston 355- (4)
7- Guelph 352- (5)
8- Hamilton 351-(3)
9 -Sudbury 346-(3)
10-Niagara 330-(5)
11- Sault 302-(3)
12-Sarnia 300-(4)
13-Flint 300-(4)
14- North Bay 296-(5)
15- Ottawa 238-(5)
16- Kitchener 216-(4)
17- Saginaw 210-(3)
18- London 157-(4)
19- Erie 122-(3)
20- Peterboro 103-(3)

Now this includes Owen Sound with 3 oa dmen and 2 with Windsor, Barrie,
Sarnia,Kitchener, Niagara, Oshawa, Hamilton
Saginaw,Erie,London,Ottawa, Peterborough, have none
while the rest of the teams have 1 OA
dman.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I’m not sure how anyone thinks London’s D rivals any other D??? It may be the worst of all today? Yes OA’s will help but replenishing them won’t come easy. Positive spin, Ladd is healthy all year, returnees show they are ready to do more and the rookie class excels. That happens your in good shape, still need someone to clear the net, and have to hope someone has a killer slap shot.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I’m not sure how anyone thinks London’s D rivals any other D??? It may be the worst of all today? Yes OA’s will help but replenishing them won’t come easy. Positive spin, Ladd is healthy all year, returnees show they are ready to do more and the rookie class excels. That happens your in good shape, still need someone to clear the net, and have to hope someone has a killer slap shot.

The Knights’ D is absolutely loaded. With an injury and suspension, London will have some time to give to a top rated group of D from the 2020-21 drafts. Edward & George will likely be among the 10 or so OHL D to be NHL drafted next summer. That’s a future top pairing on any OHL team, right?

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Interesting info re goaltending in the OHL after a deep dive
Xavier Medina for the Spitfires is 5 overall for best goals average for returning tenders with his last average of 3.46
This is with goalies who played 15 games or more the last season played
He would be 6th if we counted Nick Chennard of Owen Sound who played 13 games and averaged 2.88,which actually was better then the best oa goalie returning Mack Guzda who was 3.18.
Of the 6 OA goalies listed for OHL teams only Guzda and N Paputakis
from Oshawa 3.24 were better then Medina,the other 4 listed Weeks -Sudbury(4.02),Dugas Kingston (4.14)
Roy Hamilton (3.81),Cavillan Flint(3.63)
were higher
The other goalies who finished better then Medina were Brochu London(2.40),Cranley Ottawa (2.81)
In other words only London with Brochu and Owen Sound with Guzda/Chennard in the Western Conference had goalies with better goals against returning this season.
In the East,only Ottawa and Oshawa with Cranley and Paputakis have goalies with better averages returning.
In terms of experience for returning goalies for all teams despite Medina/Tovell having only 39 games combined experience they actually are 8th highest in the league, 5th in the West behind Owen Sound, Flint,Saginaw and London
In the East only 3 teams Hamilton (113),Kingston (47), and NBay(45) goalies have more experience, and Hamilton and Kingston listed OA goalies,in the West OA goalies for Owen Sound and Flint.
In my view very interesting year for goalies,talk about a spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad