Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
For those that don’t think Welly is ready for the job. Do any of you think the brain trust of the CHL would have chosen him to be the coach in Flint if he wasn’t qualified?? Another reason I’ll add, doing well in multiple cities with ownership that leaves a bit to be desired is a huge check mark on his resume! It says I can coach a team well despite ownership!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Legend it seems you’ve ignored my question. Last post is solid tho.

my favourite legend pivot was 'game winning goals'.

for 5 years he always judged rookies on points, when our rookies were not producing, he pivoted to game winning goals. the next year he pivoted back to points because it looked better vs gwg, which was the best stat the year before. he is what he is, but at least he now seems more aware or acknowledging of his bias.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
for what its worth, wellwood was offered at least 1 and maybe 2 jobs he turned down. i think he was happy to wait for the right opportunity, but i have no clue if windsor would be it, i would think so, but who knows.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
For those that don’t think Welly is ready for the job. Do any of you think the brain trust of the CHL would have chosen him to be the coach in Flint if he wasn’t qualified?? Another reason I’ll add, doing well in multiple cities with ownership that leaves a bit to be desired is a huge check mark on his resume! It says I can coach a team well despite ownership!

I for one does not think he isn't ready for the head coach in Windsor, the experience in Oshawa,assistant coach for DJ Smith for Oshawa Mem Cup win plus experience, no doubt the 2 years in Oshawa even the unpaid year in Windsor after he was hurt in the pros working with Jarrod Smith helped
The time in Flint obviously helped,though times when he was head coach were not good the 1st year for instance,and I understand why for a variety of reasons which is why I rarely criticize a coach in their 1st year or 2,in Windsor there are those here who criticize a bad 1st year as poor coaching, but with somebody else for another team as shitty circumstances seems bias to me.
At the end of the day for me Wellwood definitely qualifies for the head coach

Last edited:
Reactions: stips

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I think he's quite qualified it's whether or not there's the right match at this time imo. If he truly wants to take a year off that's his choice and he's entitled to it. Wellwood should be judged on his full body of work in Oshawa/Flint. Not sure why we have this narrative of comparing Wellwood (who isn't even coach yet) to Letowski. Good that Letowski got a job in Montreal. I still believe Windsor can get better.

DonkeyOT

Jul 18, 2021
Ex-players dream of owning a minor hockey club like high school buddies dream of opening up local bar together. A lot of players from the Memorial Cup teams did very well for themselves in the pros.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I’m not sure if he’s been offered other jobs. He’s clearly said he wants this job. My chats with some folks have all gone to, he’s getting the job. But Spits have due diligence to do and figure out if the can keep Smith. Let’s judge Smith on his body of work. He’s flat out not ready! I again believe there’s something else going on we aren’t privy to. Let’s hope it’s all positive.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I’m not sure if he’s been offered other jobs. He’s clearly said he wants this job. My chats with some folks have all gone to, he’s getting the job. But Spits have due diligence to do and figure out if the can keep Smith. Let’s judge Smith on his body of work. He’s flat out not ready! I again believe there’s something else going on we aren’t privy to. Let’s hope it’s all positive.
I wonder if there isn't a sudden ownership change waiting for the Board of governors to approve. It is possible that Wellwood and maybe others have an partial ownership interest. I am not sure when the board meets but I know any changes to ownership must be voted on by the board. Something else to mull over lol. They were considering selling before so what has changed their minds to keep it? Lower value in these Covid times I'm sure. Maybe bargain enough to open the door for someone new. At the end of the day, this Ownership has been awfully quiet publicly to the fans. We don't need to know all their business for sure but a little nugget to build confidence is not to much to ask for. Camp less than a month away.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

By no means is this an endorsement of Smith over Wellwood I have already mentioned Wellwood as leading contender for HC job but how could you say Smith flat out not ready,former player in league,University degree,1 year video coach,5 years assistant,2 years associate, like Wellwood was an assistant coach when Windsor won Mem Cup,Wellwood Memorial Cup with DJ Smith as assistant.
Now you can say Wellwood has head coaching experience because of Flint,true but when he got Flint gig he had only 3 years experience as assistant (2)
,associate (1).For context Smith like I said brings 7 years to the table.
And just so you know when Windsor brought in Rocky Thompson, he had zero head coaching experience but had 9 years of Junior,AHL,NHL experience.
FYI not bias but context.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
By no means is this an endorsement of Smith over Wellwood I have already mentioned Wellwood as leading contender for HC job but how could you say Smith flat out not ready,former player in league,University degree,1 year video coach,5 years assistant,2 years associate, like Wellwood was an assistant coach when Windsor won Mem Cup,Wellwood Memorial Cup with DJ Smith as assistant.
Now you can say Wellwood has head coaching experience because of Flint,true but when he got Flint gig he had only 3 years experience as assistant (2)
,associate (1).For context Smith like I said brings 7 years to the table.
And just so you know when Windsor brought in Rocky Thompson, he had zero head coaching experience but had 9 years of Junior,AHL,NHL experience.
FYI not bias but context.

Smith be cheaper n lazy option.
Hopefully owners r doing everything possible. Need to show something to fans..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Smith be cheaper n lazy option.
Hopefully owners r doing everything possible. Need to show something to fans..

Would you saying the same
thing if Wellwood were not a major consideration for the job or had been hired by another team?
Just asking

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Would you saying the same
thing if Wellwood were not a major consideration for the job or had been hired by another team?
Just asking

No.
I would like to see someone completely new behind bench. Not from current coaching staff.
New ideas.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Something interesting that I saw on Twitter - former Spitfire Kevin Kerr just stepped down as Macon Mayhem head coach. "Personal and family reasons." It may have nothing at all to do with the Spitfires, but worth noting.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Damn no that would be an old school hire!! I’d be ok with Kerr and Welly as an asst. Smith needs more reasoning, work with another team and another head coach for a few. Then he could be considered. He wasn’t asked to interview for a single HC job opening, and there were a few lol. That speaks volumes to me!

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
The one point that gets thrown around is that Spitfire ownership is cheap and would not want to pay Wellwood what he is worth. While I have no idea what it would cost to hire Wellwood versus another coach, I do believe that Wellwood would create some excitement. He is local, a former Spit, 2 time Memorial Cup Champion, young (31, I believe) and a player that had an NHL career cut short by a life threatening injury. He also has a good track record at this level as a head coach.

Attendance is down about 2,500 per game from the Memorial Cup years. If the presence of Wellwood as coach brings the excitement that I think it will bring, attendance should rise. Assume it goes up a meager 100 people per game. That is an attendance increase of 3,400 for the season or approximately $68,000 in revenues. That figure is also low because that does not include hot dog and beer sales to those 100 per game. I don't see any other coach having an attendance impact based on their name.

While I am not niave to think that the on ice product won't need to improve, but Wellwood is the only coach that can create any excitement with his hire.

Look at the three possible story lines and how it will play with the public.

Spits hire former Mem Cup Champion and local resident as coach.

Spits promote Associate Coach to Head Coach.

Spits bring in unkown from somewhere else as Head Coach.

Which of those 3 are going to sell either season tickets or even just opening tickets. While succuss will be needed to gain real momentum, Wellwood will create excitement and be given a couple of years by the fanbase that the other coaches won't have.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The "unknown" has potential upside. When the team hired Rocky, he had no real ties to the area, yet became an incredible hire. In that situation, the PR aspect becomes important. The better you promote his resume, the more the fans become intrigued.

With that being said, Wellwood and Kerr, and even a guy like Hamlin, would be preferred. They know the organization and the city. Wellwood might be the more "ticket" guy but you could find ways to get tickets with the other two.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Trey Augustine your 9th round goalie from Honeybaked committed to Michigan over the weekend…he will be in AA in 22/23

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
The "big" annual OHL board meeting was held around 3rd week of August 2015,2016,2017,2018,2019. I did not look it up past 2015. I imagine it should happen soon. I havnt seen any recent articles regarding rule changes etc to make one think it has already occurred.

Reactions: punch1943

Travis Bickle 77

Feb 11, 2020
I don't see this happening....but for the sake of shitz & giggles.........What would everyone's reaction be if Warren Rychel is named the new head coach of the Spit's? ..:laugh:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I don't see this happening....but for the sake of shitz & giggles.........What would everyone's reaction be if Warren Rychel is named the new head coach of the Spit's? ..:laugh:

Absolutely slim chance at all this happens.
Stick to your strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad