Windsor Spitfires 2021 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

It wouldn’t surprise me to see De Angelis moved in a package for an upgrade on D.

I also don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but Marc Savard went on a podcast an said Foudy won’t be back he then back tracked and said he doesn’t expect him to be back.

I think it's more likely Foudy doesn't return but still see a small possibility he does. Better to assume he won't be back and accept a valuable surprise if he does.

DeAngelis is about the only one I can see bringing back a solid upgrade on D.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I think it's more likely Foudy doesn't return but still see a small possibility he does. Better to assume he won't be back and accept a valuable surprise if he does.

DeAngelis is about the only one I can see bringing back a solid upgrade on D.

2 things,
You are correct Foudy probably not returning, although frankly if he did he would the player I would deal for a dman.
In fact I would trade him and Robinson for a dman.
One can tell they were preparing for life without Foudy by the configurations of the forward lines at camp both in scrimmages an the blue and white game.
I will explain,during the scrimmages with 3 squads each one had a line consisting of top lines,Zito was with D'amico and Peer,Johnston on a line with McDonald and Miedema, and Abraham lined up with Cuylle and Maggio.
Foudy was not put with any of those lines.
All 3 lines were excellent throughout the scrimmages and then when the cuts were made to play the blue and white game all 3 lines were kept,with 2 going on 1 team,1 on the other,and Foudy was placed on the team with just the 1 line.
Very telling to me quite frankly, one could see if u were was preparing for life without Foudy.
Ironically Team White which only got 1 line won the game 11-10,yes Foudy got 1 Goal,nothing else but rookie Ethan Martin, had 3 goals and Alex Campbell and Josh Beiles had 1G,2A
each for Team White.
As for trading DeAngelis that's not happening Spits are building now and in future around him,Bronson Ride,Jacob Crisp, Francesco Dell'ulce and Tanner Winegard.
If anybody goes from the D I would move Robinson and Jodoin before anyone else,and Jodoin looked good at camp and is only 18 years old.

member 71782

2 things,
You are correct Foudy probably not returning, although frankly if he did he would the player I would deal for a dman.
In fact I would him and Robinson for a dman.
One can tell they were preparing for life without Foudy by the configurations of the forward lines at camp both in scrimmages an the blue and white game.
I will explain,during the scrimmages with 3 squads each one had a line consisting of top lines,Zito was with D'amico and Peer,Johnston on a line with McDonald and Miedema, and Abraham lined up with Cuylle and Maggio.
Foudy was not put with any of those lines.
All 3 lines were excellent throughout the scrimmages and then when the cuts were made to play the blue and white game all 3 lines were kept,with 2 going on 1 team,1 on the other,and Foudy was placed on the team with just the 1 line.
Very telling to me quite frankly, one could see if u were was preparing for life without Foudy.
Ironically Team White which only got 1 line won the game 11-10,yes Foudy got 1 Goal,nothing else but rookie Ethan Martin, had 3 goals and Alex Campbell and Josh Beiles had 1G,2A
each for Team White.
As for trading DeAngelis that's not happening Spits are building now and in future around him,Bronson Ride,Jacob Crisp, Francesco Dell'ulce and Tanner Winegard.
If anybody goes from the D I would move Robinson and Jodoin before anyone else,and Jodoin looked good at camp and is only 18 years old.

I would have no issue moving Robinson in a deal to upgrade the D, if he hasn't changed his ways but then it becomes a sideways move where you're simply replacing him with someone of a similar value while not upgrading the D much talent wise.

The only reason to upgrade is if they're all in which we likely don't know before December. Mid November we'll have an idea of who potential contenders will be and Bowler starts making his final decision around that time.

As for Foudy, they need to be prepared to move on without him so what they did in camp was good. If he returns then you don't move him if you're chasing a title. If you're not then he becomes the one player they move even if they stand pat.

Edit

If Jodoin isn't ready for a full time role he is expendable. He may not have a lot of value but if he can be packaged for an upgrade and get a chance on a younger roster then get him a chance to play while improving the team.

Reactions: stips

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
My comment on the D is my opinion. It’s not based off 1 scrimmage game. It’s based on the returning players body of work to date. That isn’t pretty! Let’s be clear. We’ve seen no one from the group who can clear the net, make that first pass consistently well or have that booming slap shot from the point. That what my opinion is based on.

Wolvesfan82

Apr 5, 2020
Toronto
It wouldn’t surprise me to see De Angelis moved in a package for an upgrade on D.

I also don’t know if anyone has mentioned this but Marc Savard went on a podcast an said Foudy won’t be back he then back tracked and said he doesn’t expect him to be back.

I highly doubt De Angelis will get traded...at least this year. If you're still in High School, you can't be traded without family consent.

Reactions: Leaves34

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
My comment on the D is my opinion. It’s not based off 1 scrimmage game. It’s based on the returning players body of work to date. That isn’t pretty! Let’s be clear. We’ve seen no one from the group who can clear the net, make that first pass consistently well or have that booming slap shot from the point. That what my opinion is based on.

The thing is 90 per cent of OHL teams will have the same problems with their D
In the Western Conference an average of 4D are not returning with the double graduation
Now a couple of teams might be better on D but will have trouble scoring or have no goaltending
Owen Sound has D though only 1 of the 3 oa dmen has offense capabilities
SSM wont keep 2OA dmen,they have too many oa guys upfront, no goaltending
Defense and Goaltending in the O this year overall will be interesting, scoring not so much.
Interesting both Ladd and Henault are plus players in their careers, in fact Ladd has never had a minus year,Henault just 1,his Ist year at 16
And he is one guy who moves the puck 39 assists last season played,not a bomb from the point but effective.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Fair enough, I don't disagree with many of those opinions regarding the returning players, however 2 years is a long time and when you are talking about teenagers a lot can change in two years. Guys get bigger and stronger, more capable and willing to clear the net or blast a slap shot. Lets see if they do or don't before spending assets to correct what could be less of a problem than anticipated, or lets see if some of the new guys can bring those elements. We traded some assets for Renwick already and he hasn't played a game for us yet. I'm just saying I think it's too early to say with any certainty that its a problem.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I highly doubt De Angelis will get traded...at least this year. If you're still in High School, you can't be traded without family consent.

Reason I say De Angelis is because if Windsor goes big game hunting; they’re not going to trade Abraham since he’ll likely be apart of the core, and Miediema is too valuable of an asset to trade for anyone save McTavish.
Robinson and Jodoin are wildcards and both could be moved but the amount of picks you’ll have to dish out with them to get a significant upgrade almost isn’t worth it.
So that leaves De Angelis as a piece that can be upgraded upon, and has the trade value to bring back a solid player without too many additional draft picks.

Reactions: NewSpitfiresfan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Reason I say De Angelis is because if Windsor goes big game hunting; they’re not going to trade Abraham since he’ll likely be apart of the core, and Miediema is too valuable of an asset to trade for anyone save McTavish.
Robinson and Jodoin are wildcards and both could be moved but the amount of picks you’ll have to dish out with them to get a significant upgrade almost isn’t worth it.
So that leaves De Angelis as a piece that can be upgraded upon, and has the trade value to bring back a solid player without too many additional draft picks.

I agree with the 1st part of your re Abraham and Miedema.
However as things look now,they could contend next year too with Deangelis a huge part
Projection wise I see Cuylle, Damico upfront, with Ladd and Henault gone,everyone else can stay ,though I predict Renwick would be 1 of OAs retained with Robinson dealt.
7 of 9 forwards I spoke about would be back plus O'Flaherty and Baisov
Toss in Birkett, Greenwell, Ethan Martin,maybe Josh Beiles,or Alex Campbell and you are pretty good upfront excluding upcoming drafts.
On the backend you have Renwick, DeAngelis,Ride,Sobelev, maybe Jodoin, plus Crisp,Dell'ulce and Winegard as a decent starting point.

Reactions: stips and Leaves34

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The thing is 90 per cent of OHL teams will have the same problems with their D
In the Western Conference an average of 4D are not returning with the double graduation
Now a couple of teams might be better on D but will have trouble scoring or have no goaltending
Owen Sound has D though only 1 of the 3 oa dmen has offense capabilities
SSM wont keep 2OA dmen,they have too many oa guys upfront, no goaltending
Defense and Goaltending in the O this year overall will be interesting, scoring not so much.
Interesting both Ladd and Henault are plus players in their careers, in fact Ladd has never had a minus year,Henault just 1,his Ist year at 16
And he is one guy who moves the puck 39 assists last season played,not a bomb from the point but effective.

Ladd been hurt too often.
Henault needs another d to cover him on the ice.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Ladd been hurt too often.
Henault needs another d to cover him on the ice.[/QUOTE

Hopefully Ladd's injury woes are history, when he is healthy he is effective
As for Henault, would not surprise me if Montreal draft pick Sobelev who is known for good defense work is Henaults partner if not Renwick who I feel will be solid.
Both Renwick and Sobelev are right shots Henault is left,which is why I suggested either,I actually prefer the Renwick with rookie DeAngelis,and the Russian D with Henault, Ladd stays with Robinson, with Ride and Jodoin looking to come in.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
IMO Robinson is going to be a big surprise this year. He has the potential to be a dominating player. I would think he has outgrown his bad habits, and now will concentrate on promoting his hockey skills (which will open up NHL opportunities).
It is way too early to not give the players a chance to prove themselves!

Wolvesfan82

Apr 5, 2020
Toronto

Fair enough, I don't disagree with you at all. I know he's not getting moved this year, but this also applies to any signed player who's 17 or 16 years old.

Reactions: Leaves34

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
IMO Robinson is going to be a big surprise this year. He has the potential to be a dominating player. I would think he has outgrown his bad habits, and now will concentrate on promoting his hockey skills (which will open up NHL opportunities).
It is way too early to not give the players a chance to prove themselves!

I hope you are right for his and the team's sake.
Say that is the case,he could return next year with Renwick, Ride,Deangelis, Sobelev to make a formidable D,along with the kids like Crisp,Dell'ulce and maybe McDaniel or Miller,and there's Winegard too.

Wolvesfan82

Apr 5, 2020
Toronto
IMO De Angelis is going to be solid. He skates effortless, reads plays well, and moves the puck smartly. He needs to be given a chance, that's for sure!!!!!!
I've been watching Downey & De Angelis when they where playing in the GTHL in Toronto from 13yrs old and up. Downey is a solid goalie, but with goalies they take longer to develop. So I'm unsure how his rookie year will go. De Angelis is solid like you said and plays the game smart and safe. IMO I would classify him as a puck moving d-man who will make the breakout pass out of the zone to a winger and his skating is elite.

member 71782

Legend

I have one question about contending.

I know this team has the potential on paper this year on ice remains to be seen but Windsor isn't overflowing with assets and if they do make a run where are the assets coming from next year if they unload them all this year?

Sure there's a chance to offload any remaining 02s, personally think next year's OAs are set at Medina, Maggio and Renwick leaving McDonald and Robinson as the remaining two.

They'll have five 03s in Johnston, Zito Birkett, Jodoin and import Sobolev.

They likely only get a 2nd tops for each of McDonald and Robinson.

It's going to be tough to put together a two year run with no assets to add with unless they move a couple of kids to get the assets or add this year.

I know you're optimistic when it comes to the team but veteran additions don't come free or even cheap if you're adding impact vets. Relying on 16/17 year olds to make a run then as 17/18 year olds a second time when all are rookies the first time around and half will be rookies the second time seems a bit much to ask of them.

I think it'll be a one and done this year or they go for two next year and the following year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Cfaub

I think this team as it looks now can finish in the top 3 in the conference and that's excluding JL Foudy only because 4 or 5 teams will lose player to the NHL or AHL more likely and those losses are impactful then Windsor's.
In other words Foudy to me is the worst of the bunch no intent to knock ability but to standing as it relates to others and effects on the corresponding teams.
Now if he returns in my view he would the guy to move.
I really like our 16 and 17 year old group and those in the pipeline and for that reason feel Windsor will contend for up to 3 years.
That being said I prefer to wait for the 1st 2 months of season before committing to anything solid.
In other words is this the year or next myself I think it's both but I willing to wait things out a bit.
This coming year is so unlike anything we have seen
Now for next year my preferred oa guys would be Medina, McDonald and Renwick,with Robinson and Maggio to dealt
Now if Downey were to come in like Medina at 17 and be the better tender then Medina,like the Piironen situation, then that changes the oa picture alot Maggio or Robinson would be in mix.
So much unknown at this time
I am trying to remain flexible as things could change on a dime.
One thing I will say and I know this will get me in trouble
If Foudy returns, move him not because he is bad guy,I just think he is the most movable and team is playing assuming he is not coming back.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Cfaub

I think this team as it looks now can finish in the top 3 in the conference and that's excluding JL Foudy only because 4 or 5 teams will lose player to the NHL or AHL more likely and those losses are impactful then Windsor's.
In other words Foudy to me is the worst of the bunch no intent to knock ability but to standing as it relates to others and effects on the corresponding teams.
Now if he returns in my view he would the guy to move.
I really like our 16 and 17 year old group and those in the pipeline and for that reason feel Windsor will contend for up to 3 years.
That being said I prefer to wait for the 1st 2 months of season before committing to anything solid.
In other words is this the year or next myself I think it's both but I willing to wait things out a bit.
This coming year is so unlike anything we have seen
Now for next year my preferred oa guys would be Medina, McDonald and Renwick,with Robinson and Maggio to dealt
Now if Downey were to come in like Medina at 17 and be the better tender then Medina,like the Piironen situation, then that changes the oa picture alot Maggio or Robinson would be in mix.
So much unknown at this time
I am trying to remain flexible as things could change on a dime.
One thing I will say and I know this will get me in trouble
If Foudy returns, move him not because he is bad guy,I just think he is the most movable and team is playing assuming he is not coming back.

Moving Foudy would be a small move by Bowler

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Fair enough, I don't disagree with you at all. I know he's not getting moved this year, but this also applies to any signed player who's 17 or 16 years old.

almost guaranteed that some 17 yr olds get moved and quite likely a 16 yr old or two; and if Windsor is buying, they will be one of the teams moving a 17 yr old.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not a fan of dealing DeAngelis right now, unless we're getting a proven '02 stud in return. You're going to lose Ladd/Henault next season, plus likely one of Robinson/Renwick. Dealing an 04 with significant potential doesn't seem like a smart move right now.

Reactions: hockeylegend11
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad