Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
To be fair i think both teams had players away.
Ya sarnia had 5 skaters away at nhl camp and both of their goalies aswell, also their 1st round import pick hasn’t arrived yet. The goalies they used tonight one plays junior c and not sure who the other goalie was but he’s never played OHL either.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
To be fair i think both teams had players away.
Yes both teams had players away
Sarnia 7 players at NHL camps,Windsor 8,Sarnia 2 goalies,though 1 of them an 18vyesr old rookie with no OHL experience
Pretty sure I would take Johnston, Cuylle,Damico, Zito,Maggio over Guy,Dann,and Voit for Sarnia upfront
and Sobelev, Henault, Robinson on D over Mast and Supreka
Gaudreau the goalie for Sarnia no doubt missed.
Both teams were missing 1 Russian player as well,Spits Baisov and the Sting a Russian dmen.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Yes both teams had players away
Sarnia 7 players at NHL camps,Windsor 8,Sarnia 2 goalies,though 1 of them an 18vyesr old rookie with no OHL experience
Pretty sure I would take Johnston, Cuylle,Damico, Zito,Maggio over Guy,Dann,and Voit for Sarnia upfront
and Sobelev, Henault, Robinson on D over Mast and Supreka
Gaudreau the goalie for Sarnia no doubt missed.
Both teams were missing 1 Russian player as well,Spits Baisov and the Sting a Russian dmen.

So we agree, both teams were missing players....

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So we agree, both teams were missing players....
Yes except Windsor was missing better players and 8 skaters compared to 5 for Sarnia.
As well of Sarnia's 4 goals,3 were scored by vets,only 1 of Windsor 's goal was scored by a vet Kyle McDonald, in fact of the 13 total points only 1 came from a vet.
For Sarnia,of their 11 points ,6 were by vets.
For the record the Sting dressed 3F,2D with 1 or more years experience
The Spits 1F,2D.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Re the Spits D here are their plus/minus numbers from this game

Ladd-2,Ride-1
Lecot +2,Renwick +1
Deangelis 0, Jodoin 0

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Meidema is the real deal. He looked great for u guys. As did Medina. He played outstanding. Abraham is quite the skater. Was flying. Should be a fun battle this yr between wsr&sar.

Yes,Sarnia has and will have some nice looking youngsters in their lineup, plus Gaudreau best goalie in the league 18 and under.
Should be some interesting matches throughout the season and if Sarnia can convince the player they got from Ottawa recently to report,things get interesting.
Toss in fact that Sarnia has a pretty good coach.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Interesting from Flint vs Saginaw game tonight,recently traded Center Coulson Pitre scored twice in Flint's win over Saginaw think it was 5-2.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Who's this McLlwain guy who looks like he wants a job based on the box score? I see he was taken in the 3rd round of the u18 draft but was this sort of performance really expected based on his camp? I figured Miedema would be good, you aren't getting a scrub at 4 overall obviously, but that's till a pretty awesome start. X making the saves he needs to make while facing a lot of rubber, very nice indeed. So far so good, I can't wait to see how things look once we sprinkle in some more vets and imports. Based on this single meaningless exhibition game featuring only a handful of actual players that I didn't actually watch, I'm going to declare that the Spits are the best team in the West. Come get some London.

Actually I thought McLlwain played well at camp,plus when you consider his dad played hockey in Europe, his uncle Dave McLlwain played 10 years in the NHL,his mother a figure skater who happens to be Spits skating coach,and yes not surprisingly the kid skates well, cant discount the hockey genes,same with Ethan Martin,with his dad and uncle former Spits,in fact his dad played for years in Europe and some time in the AHL,both his dad and uncle were drafted in the 3rd rounds by NHL teams.
He has alot of upside,glad they signed him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leviathan899

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Who will wear the 'C' this season for Windsor? D'amico?, Cuylle?, Johnston? I'll add to that by also asking who the leadership group is?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
For the Spits going to be interesting upfront with 8 of the top 9 pretty much settled, 6 guys,Baisov, O'Flaherty, Martin,Peer,McLlwain and Birkett are battling for the 1 spot in the top 3 lines and 4 spots overall to make 12 forwards.
Peer from camp looks to be the favourite ,though we have not seen Baisov yet,Martin and McLlwain are now in the mix,O'Flaherty has tons of promise and Birkett who is signed.
We will see how things turn out,for me I think Burkett who grew almost 4 inches needs more speed to catch up with size,Martin at 6'5" needs to be quicker too,but he has great hockey sense and net presence already
If Spits keep 13 I would send down Birkett for seasoning,keep an eye on Martin,and of course see how Peer,O'Flaherty, Baisov and McLlwain do the rest of camp/ exhibition, hopefully an embarrassment of riches albeit unexpectedly.
Really like the promise of this team moving forward, things to work on,will get a better picture when everyone returns.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Who will wear the 'C' this season for Windsor? D'amico?, Cuylle?, Johnston? I'll add to that by also asking who the leadership group is?
Fair and a good question
Myself I would no problem with D'amico, Cuylle or perhaps Ladd
And guys like Johnston and maybe Henault will be part of a leadership group.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just read an article from Jim Parker and the Windsor Star that Spits Russian import forward Aaval
Baisov is still having visa problems so he isn't here,cant say when he will be here so for now its 5 forwards that will be fighting for 4 spots upfront.
Hopefully things get settled some re Baisov and his arrival.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Meidema is the real deal. He looked great for u guys. As did Medina. He played outstanding. Abraham is quite the skater. Was flying. Should be a fun battle this yr between wsr&sar.
Good to hear, Miedema has a chance to be one of the best players Windsor has had in 15-20 years, some serious high end NHL potential. Sarnia looks like they’re going to have a good team this season, some nice older players who play the game the right way, some high powered young players and elite goaltending. I’d be surprised if Sarnia finishes lower than 4th in the west. Windsor, Sarnia, Guelph, Kitch, London and Soo are a real good top 6 teams imo.

Reactions: StingUpdates

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
For the Spits going to be interesting upfront with 8 of the top 9 pretty much settled, 6 guys,Baisov, O'Flaherty, Martin,Peer,McLlwain and Birkett are battling for the 1 spot in the top 3 lines and 4 spots overall to make 12 forwards.
Peer from camp looks to be the favourite ,though we have not seen Baisov yet,Martin and McLlwain are now in the mix,O'Flaherty has tons of promise and Birkett who is signed.
We will see how things turn out,for me I think Burkett who grew almost 4 inches needs more speed to catch up with size,Martin at 6'5" needs to be quicker too,but he has great hockey sense and net presence already
If Spits keep 13 I would send down Birkett for seasoning,keep an eye on Martin,and of course see how Peer,O'Flaherty, Baisov and McLlwain do the rest of camp/ exhibition, hopefully an embarrassment of riches albeit unexpectedly.
Really like the promise of this team moving forward, things to work on,will get a better picture when everyone returns.
Would be incredible if the team is able to lure Gavin McCarthy here as well, given his brothers slower than expected development at BU. Planned on going to the GTHL for his Draft year before the pandemic disrupted those plans.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Would be incredible if the team is able to lure Gavin McCarthy here as well, given his brothers slower than expected development at BU. Planned on going to the GTHL for his Draft year before the pandemic disrupted those plans.

Agree getting McCarthy would be huge, future wise for this team

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's one game but the idea of promise and chemistry is better than "they'll bounce back..." Especially when it's the kids who are taking control. Having guys like Mediema and Abraham zipping around the rink, putting up points, can only boost their confidence.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Good to hear, Miedema has a chance to be one of the best players Windsor has had in 15-20 years, some serious high end NHL potential. Sarnia looks like they’re going to have a good team this season, some nice older players who play the game the right way, some high powered young players and elite goaltending. I’d be surprised if Sarnia finishes lower than 4th in the west. Windsor, Sarnia, Guelph, Kitch, London and Soo are a real good top 6 teams imo.
Agreed sarnia is definitely going to be much stronger next year, almost the entire team can return except the OA’s. Little too young upfront this season.

Reactions: Leaves34

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Yes except Windsor was missing better players and 8 skaters compared to 5 for Sarnia.
As well of Sarnia's 4 goals,3 were scored by vets,only 1 of Windsor 's goal was scored by a vet Kyle McDonald, in fact of the 13 total points only 1 came from a vet.
For Sarnia,of their 11 points ,6 were by vets.
For the record the Sting dressed 3F,2D with 1 or more years experience
The Spits 1F,2D.

U can dress it up anyway u want.
Both teams were missing players.
They played a game.
Both teams getting back to normal or what new normal is.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
U can dress it up anyway u want.
Both teams were missing players.
They played a game.
Both teams getting back to normal or what new normal is.
I guess windsor was missing a couple more guys, but they also had a massive edge in net, sarnia had two guys that aren’t apart of their organization and will be playing Junior b and Junior c this year and both will be getting their only ohl experience this weekend, take those guys out and replace them with gaudreau and Thornton (both at nhl camps) that makes a massive difference for sarnia.

member 71782

Not seeing the game obviously there's only so much you can take away from boxscores and following along with anything available online.

With only four vets in the line up Windsor's rookies had to play a big role on the score sheet and they. That's a good start exhibition or not.

There's work to be done and they have time to get it done before the season starts.

They need to be better in the face off circles. They lost most of the draws but experience should help bring better results. As a team they were dominated but individually there's reason to believe improvement should come.

They need to generate more shots. They managed to put in five on a low shot total against JR B/C level goaltending. They're not going to do that on a regular basis against OHL goaltenders.

They need to cut down on the shots they're giving up. This should come with experience as they adjust to the faster pace of the game.

The let down in the third I would imagine can be attributed to running on empty. They only had a couple of shots so I would guess much of the play was in their end and that'll wear a team down.

Overall, regardless of the work to be done the kids came out and pulled out the win. Medina from the sounds of it was solid in goal. Experience and veteran presence to support the kids will move things in the right direction. A full roster will help cut down on any fatigue.

For the season I would keep 14 forwards, 7 D to go along with the 2 goaltenders. Even with all the vets back they'll have a lot of rookies and regularly rotating them in and out the first couple of months will keep them fresh. It also keeps the vets on their toes if they sit for a game or two if they are under performing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad