Windsor Spitfires 2021-2022 Season Thread (Part 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I was really hoping for a new stripes crew in the Soo today. The boarding call on DAmico was weak and IMO the Slashing on Christopolous for being a pest should’ve been a no call as well.

I’ll happily compliment the officials where it’s due, but both these Soo games have been frustrating.

I’m not saying anarchy, but come on. Let the boys play, and when there’s a face off, drop the damn puck

Oct 3, 2019
This kid is always getting stupid penalties. They should sit him a few shifts to smarten up

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Hope the team keeps it up. I can listen on the radio anymore. Bell is garbage to listen to. He is way over the top. I like manny pavia much better.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
That reffing is pathetic. SOO getting all kinds of PP's, even the SOO announcer is surprised by some of these calls. I remember the last time SOO played in Windsor late last month they had 9 PP's, they had 6 last night and 5 already today. That's 20 PP's for the SOO in their last 2.5 games against Windsor.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
That O'Rourke is quite the goon and needs to be suspended. Cross-checked Johnston in the face last night after the whistle, two-handed slashed Johnston today, then a blatant slew foot on Peer. No place for goons like that in today's game. He's been trying to injure players all weekend.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
He plays with an edge and has to find that time/place maturity.

But... 5-4 Windsor final. Their PP was faaaar too relaxed and the Hounds nearly made them pay. You could tell the Spits were dog tired and the Hounds' rest this week was paying off.

Windsor remains five points up on Flint for the division and six points on London for the conference. Firebirds just beat Kitchener 3-1.

Reactions: Section 103

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
So, the poorly managed one line team with crummy defence, no goalie, and a lousy coach inches ever closer to clinching the top seed in the West. What a fascinating development. Any crusties feel like chiming in with an explanation for this impossibility? Is Bowler abusing the infinity stones now or something? It's really shaking my faith in this board to see this happening. Everything I thought I knew about this team from reading this thread has been proven wrong. Up is down, left is right, nothing makes sense any more. I'm going to curl up in the fetal position with a "My Pillow" until we lose in the first round and my faith can be restored.

Oct 3, 2019
He plays with an edge and has to find that time/place maturity.

But... 5-4 Windsor final. Their PP was faaaar too relaxed and the Hounds nearly made them pay. You could tell the Spits were dog tired and the Hounds' rest this week was paying off.

Windsor remains five points up on Flint for the division and six points on London for the conference. Firebirds just beat Kitchener 3-1.
Abraham plays with an edge? They’re all stupid childish penalties after the play. He has no edge.

Reactions: windsor7

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Another stupid penalty to Abraham. What’s wrong with that kid
They took em both, I’m not sweating that one. He takes some dumb ones, but he also draws quite a few calls as well. Needs to be a bit more strategic on the timing of mixing things up.

Seems Maggio cooled off a bit in the Sooo while Cuylle picked it up and DAmicos staying warm.

Dumb penalty by O Rourke. Blatant slew foot major, with 5:10 to go in the game. I do agree he kinda teetered the chippy vs. dirty line all weekend. Had all the actions of a dangerous player, and not in the right way.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen a less debatable slew foot. Penalties like that should hold way higher game # suspensions, than someone putting their head down and getting knocked on the ice because they looked away from the play.

I think over 90% of suspensions issued this season have been too long for the offense. With how much is left in the regular season, I can’t see a length that’s too long.

Seemed like Peer is okay, hoping that’s the case.

Reactions: Section 103

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Well, Spits are just a better team than the SOO, have defeated them in 7 straight meetings. 9 points up on them, almost impossible for the SOO to catch Winsor. 5 points up on Flint, need to keep winning. Flint has a tough schedule half their remaining games are against London and the SOO. I think it's imperative to finish ahead of London and get the #1 seed.

I think Savard should be considered for coach of the year. It took a while but he got the team playing on the same page.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lol here come the fan bus add ons!!! 4 great points no question!! Still like the D to tighten up. Yesterdays game was better, the goals against is concerning. Team is coming together well.
Now let’s take off the rose coloured glasses. This team has incredible goal scoring but D is suspect and has been for some time. Goalie situation is very shaky still to be clear, if I need to explain you don’t get it! This team is brutal against lesser teams, are you confident this team can beat Sarnia or Owen Sound in 7 games??? I’m hopeful but there’s still lots of what ifs here.

Last edited:

spits

Jul 24, 2013
Well like many teams, the Spits play down to the competition in these regular-season games against teams such as Sarnia. The team has completely dominated the SOO and Flint with no issues bc they get up for those games. Once playoffs arrive, they will be up for all the games. They will also have home ice where they are 19-1 in their last 20. The chances of them losing in the 1st round are very slim.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Lol here come the fan bus add one!!! 4 great points no question!! Still like the D to tighten up. Yesterdays game was better, the goals against is concerning. Team is coming together well.
Now let’s take off the rose coloured glasses. This team has incredible goal scoring but D is suspect and has been for some time. Goalie situation is very shaky still to be clear, if I need to explain you don’t get it! This team is brutal against lesser teams, are you confident this team can beat Sarnia or Owen Sound in 7 games??? I’m hopeful but there’s still lots of what ifs here.
I think it's a fair point, but we have the benefit of having watched one of the best junior teams ever assembled, so there is a measuring stick that can be applied to give these weaknesses some perspective. The 09/10 team is simply the best I have ever seen, and likely will ever see. I can vividly recall having questions about the goaltending, the number of chances they would give up, taking undisciplined penalties, and pretty much all of the perceived weaknesses of this team. I'm not saying this team is as good as that one. (although a comparison between rosters would be an interesting exercise) I am saying that even the best teams have these questions in junior hockey. First place is no joke late in the season, and we are coming together and peaking at the right time. That's not rose shades, that's the real deal. Enjoy it my space aged coating inspired friend!!!! :popcorn:

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Huge 4 point weekend. Yes, today was an ugly win but they find a way to get it done. I picked on D'amico pretty hard earlier in the season, but I don't know if he was nursing a nagging injury or what, but the last dozen games or so his speed and effort has dramatically improved. The Spits outshot tonight by 1. Way more scoring chances today against. Onuska not much chance on their 1st 3 goals. #4 was questionable but replay showed Zito no fault of his own crossed his line of sight. Either way strong return after being pulled. Special teams clearly won by the Soo tonight as yes we scored a shorty, so did they plus 2 PP goals. Stupid penalties need to be reeled in. Lack of discipline at times in a tight contest by both sides. Need to pick and choose your moments when clearly the game is not on the line. The 3rd period clearly won by the Soo, could be a bit of fatigue but we got through it without spotting them a point over 2 games. All in all can't complain too much although I liked the team's defensive play much better Saturday. Henault glaring error on their 3rd goal was disappointing sliding by with no contact. Comfortable with either 1a or1b in net. Use the remainder of the season to continue to tighten up defensively and better controlled discipline moving into the playoffs and I like our chances.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Little late to the party,missed most of the game,1st time this year,except for the 3rd period and seeing the highlights.
Team can sure score that is without a doubt 10 this weekend, points from alot of guys,though Maggio went pointless in the 2 games here,still 14 in his last 7,as the Spits won their seventh straight game and Daniel D'amico scored at least once in each of those 7 games,2 yesterday, 11 goals in last 7 games 13 points,what a streak he is on.
It's pretty impressive 11 players yesterday picked up at least a point, with Windsor getting 5 goals no empty netters in this one,but not a point from Maggio,Cuylle and Zito as well as Perrott, now that's scoring depth,nice to see Peer score a goal hope he is ok after the dirty play from O'Rourke ,Christopoulos has 5 points in his last 5 games including 3 goals playing with Johnston and Cuylle,Abraham ,Miedema and Maillet continue to put up numbers, I expect Zito will now,getting back in and catching up condition wise after a 2 week absence ,defense not going to complain about it,the whole conference has lousy defense if we labor on about Windsor's.
Goaltending will be decided in next few games,Medina last 2 appearances slightly over 2 per game with a win and a save ,Onuska yes 6 wins of the 7 Windsor currently on,6 straight games 4 or more against,save percentage of 836 in last 8, yesterday he was fine didn't like the 4th goal allowed, PP ones not going to blame him,team lately really good not allowing PP goals not so much this weekend allowing 3, Windsor's own PP struggled 0-6 yesterday.
Things to clean up on at practice this week prior to Thursdays game,day off today ,practice Tues and Wednesday.
For me at the end of it Windsor continues to show they are the best in the West,need to keep it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad