Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If Cuylle/Foudy both return, that's eight forwards, including Abraham. Assume one taken at the Import Draft and one within the first two-rounds of upcoming OHL draft... still three spots open, assuming you carry 13/7/2. It's a good spot to be in; the youth will be eager to show what they've got. However, I don't think the spots are cemented just yet.

With Trevor as coach u never know how they will develop

member 71782

Spit Draft picks for 2021 draft...
Windsor Spitfires
2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7 89 10 11 12 1314 15
2021BAR 2nd---4th
FLNT 4th
ER 5th6th
SSM 6th
7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14thBAR 15th
OTT 15th*
2022OTT 2nd
OSH 2nd
WSR 3rdER 4th5th6th
KGN 6th
7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th---
2023OTT 2ndKIT 3rd
KGN 3rd
HAM 3rd*
------6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14thNIA 15th*
2024KGN 2ndBAR 3rd4th5th
HAM 5th*
6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th
2025KGN 2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th
20262nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th
20272nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th
20282nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th10th11th12th13th14th15th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

One good thing about not having a season is Windsor will retain the 2024 KIT 2ND that was conditional upon there being a 2020/21 season and instead will have to give up one the thirds it holds in 2023.

Here's what I have with picks. A small difference or two from what you have posted. The Oshawa 2ND 2022 was traded as part of the Renwick trade with no condition attached to it. Probably just a mix up in which 2ND was the conditional.

DRAFT PICKS
YEARRND 1RND 2RND 3RND 4RND 5RND 6RND 7RND 8RND 9RND 10RND 11RND 12RND 13RND 14RND 15
2021WSR 1STBAR 2ND ---WSR 4TH
FLT 4TH
ERI 5THWSR 6TH
SSM 6TH
WSR 7THWSR 8THWSR 9THWSR 10THWSR 11THWSR 12THWSR 13THWSR 14THBAR 15TH
OTT 15TH (COND)
2022WSR 1STOTT 2NDWSR 3RDERI 4THWSR 5THWSR 6TH
KGN 6TH
WSR 7THWSR 8THWSR 9THWSR 10THWSR 11THWSR 12THWSR 13THWSR 14TH ---
2023WSR 1STOTT 2NDHAM 3RD (COND)
KIT 3RD
KNG 3RD
--- ---WSR 6THWSR 7THWSR 8THWSR 9THWSR 10THWSR 11THWSR 12THWSR 13THWSR 14THNIA 15TH (COND)
2024WSR 1STKIT 2ND
KNG 2ND
BAR 3RDWSR 4THHAM 5TH (COND)WSR 6THWSR 7THWSR 8THWSR 9THWSR 10THWSR 11THWSR 12THWSR 13THWSR 14THWSR 15TH
2025WSR 1STKGN 2NDWSR 3RDWSR 4THWSR 5THWSR 6THWSR 7THWSR 8THWSR 9THWSR 10THWSR 11THWSR 12THWSR 13THWSR 14THWSR 15TH
2026WSR 1STWSR 2NDWSR 3RDWSR 4THWSR 5THWSR 6THWSR 7THWSR 8THWSR 9THWSR 10THWSR 11THWSR 12THWSR 13THWSR 14THWSR 15TH
2027WSR 1STWSR 2NDWSR 3RDWSR 4THWSR 5THWSR 6THWSR 7THWSR 8THWSR 9THWSR 10THWSR 11THWSR 12THWSR 13THWSR 14THWSR 15TH
2028WSR 1STWSR 2NDWSR 3RDWSR 4THWSR 5THWSR 6THWSR 7THWSR 8THWSR 9THWSR 10THWSR 11THWSR 12THWSR 13THWSR 14THWSR 15TH
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

member 71782

Looking at the potential roster, there's spaces to fill but how does Windsor fill them and are there any outstanding issues from some of the rumours that were swirling around concerning Robinson and McDonald?

With/if Letowski is back, betting he will be who knows how this roster is going to line up and with Bowler/Savages how will even look.

My best guess?

Cuylle (02) - Foudy (02) - ???
D'Amico (01/OA) - Johnston (03) - McDonald (02/if he returns)
Zito (03) - Abraham (04) - Maggio (02)
??? - ??? - ???

Henault (01/OA) - Sobolev (03/Import)
Robinson (02/if he returns) - Renwick (02)
De Angelis (03) - Ladd (01/OA)

Jodoin

Medina (02)
Downey (04)

That's 17 players signed. They'll likely draft/sign another import , unless they still have hope that Rafkin will return as well likely do what they've done the last few years, sign their first 3 05s they draft then trade a late round pick for an 02 with OA potential or some mid level player with local connections that they'll overpay for.

I don't see a lot of competition in training camp. With 6 likely rookies, 3 x 04s and 3 x 05s they'll want to add a couple of vets to the mix so any other rookies coming in from training camp is highly doubtful. The other issue with training camp is who is going to report? Any higher end or American kids, with the exception of Kruszewski who they didn't sign when they should have haven't reported and are very unlikely to report. We don't know yet if the 04 draft class will report but any other 02s and 03s are likely long since gone from their plans. I'm sure the Canadian kids will show up from those three age groups, 02s/03s/04s but not any of the Americans.

That doesn't leave a lot to choose from, at least the 02s and 03s so competition in training camp? Don't see it happening.

Unless there's still some disgruntled players who insist on a trade I don't see anyone from training camp having any real shot at a roster spot.

This roster is basically set barring any surprise requests.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I would hope with this draft the Spits would roll the dice on a lot of american players. Hopefully the Spits still had a scout out there seeing players.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So many if’s!!!! If TL is the coach, not that it matters for draft day. If anyone walks away, you would hope they’ve had those chats already. If your studs return, Which I believe they will. You need to remember also, last years draft class are rookies, have they progressed? You may have more open spots than you think. I think US kids will be able to come. Scouting is an entirely other subject, my info says they have a part time guy and are relying on other sources of info?!?! What the hell does that even mean??? Saving grace, the entire league is in the same boat, albeit with a real scouting staff. That said, what does that mean because there really wasn’t much game action to scout. This draft will boil down to those with incredible scouting or incredibly lucky scouting staffs. Gonna be some interesting moves that’s for sure. Makes you wonder what a true, experienced GM could pull off.

Reactions: punch1943 and OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So many if’s!!!! If TL is the coach, not that it matters for draft day. If anyone walks away, you would hope they’ve had those chats already. If your studs return, Which I believe they will. You need to remember also, last years draft class are rookies, have they progressed? You may have more open spots than you think. I think US kids will be able to come. Scouting is an entirely other subject, my info says they have a part time guy and are relying on other sources of info?!?! What the hell does that even mean??? Saving grace, the entire league is in the same boat, albeit with a real scouting staff. That said, what does that mean because there really wasn’t much game action to scout. This draft will boil down to those with incredible scouting or incredibly lucky scouting staffs. Gonna be some interesting moves that’s for sure. Makes you wonder what a true, experienced GM could pull off.

If only Windsor had a experienced gm...

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
There isn't many scouts left i think
I guess you're probably right. With most teams cutting as much as possible to try to stay afloat scouting would be the first thing to go.
Part time scouts gone as well.
The Spits, depending on who want to return, will have some hard choices to make early.

member 71782

I would hope with this draft the Spits would roll the dice on a lot of american players. Hopefully the Spits still had a scout out there seeing players.

My only concern with the Spits drafting American players is will they report? The last two or three training camps, outside of Kruszewski any non signed American born kids have not reported that I can think of, at least those they've drafted.

All of these supposed surefire picks that were going to report and make the team the year after they were drafted never reported.

None of the high end kids ever reported.

None of the lower end kids never reported.

Kruszewski and no one else I can think of from the 01s/02s/03s. We'll see what happens with the 04s/05s this year but if they're not signed I don't see them coming this year.

Everything is a big if, this year across the league but this franchise in particular has been nothing but a bunch of ifs for three or four seasons, beyond the normal question marks that every team faces.

While Letowski doesn't have an impact on draft day, hopefully, going into the draft with a defined new direction could definitely help recruiting post draft.

Agree that any discussions that needed to happen following last season better have happened but with the league at a stand still the past year I can't see much interest in worrying about the basic operations of the franchise outside of the owners/governor meeting to discuss league related business. It would be interesting to know how much Bowler and company have kept up with the players. I'm sure they've checked occasionally but would they have maintained weekly contact regardless of the player/prospect to keep up with their training or checking in on those playing in other leagues> I have a feeling contact has been limited. Simple phone calls can do a lot.

I don't see anyone beyond the three kids signed from last year's draft having a shot at a roster spot. Whether they've regressed or not they are rookies and that will be taken into account. Just looking at the past couple of seasons they've signed three or four kids from the draft and moved on from the rest.

04s - Abraham, Downey and De Angelis
03s - Johnson, Zito and Jodoin
02s - Cuylle (Pete's pick), Foudy, Robinson and McDonald

That's it. Everyone else was either signed under Rychel or traded for. I know the 02s were technically under Rychel but Bowler was in the process of taking over.

Scouting has disappeared. The problem is the scouts aren't gone because of what's happened, they've been gone since before last season started. Other sources? Could be anything. Like I said before they'll probably look at whatever rankings they can get from various services, talks with past coaches if the coaches call them up promoting their players and then fit in what sounds good with the OHL list, if there is one this year and pick whoever is next on the list. Maybe they'll make a few calls to any out of work scouts they know but that's about it. There wasn't many games to scout this year but most scouting staffs have a line on kids at least a year before their draft, at least the high end kids so while this draft will definitely present challenges for all teams those who had a scouting staff last year likely will be much better prepared than a team who let go and didn't replace much of their scouting staff.

It's going to be interesting, maybe even entertaining to say the least but the potential results don't look promising based on how things have been handled the last couple of seasons leading up to this mess. Year to year decisions likely made a bad situation much worse. Maybe Bowler has a horseshoe stuck somewhere we don't know about and everything magically falls into place. Just going into this blind and hits on everything he needs to. Betting on luck seems to be the way this franchise is heading so why not.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
My only concern with the Spits drafting American players is will they report? The last two or three training camps, outside of Kruszewski any non signed American born kids have not reported that I can think of, at least those they've drafted.

All of these supposed surefire picks that were going to report and make the team the year after they were drafted never reported.

Kruszewski and no one else I can think of from the 01s/02s/03s. We'll see what happens with the 04s/05s this year but if they're not signed I don't see them coming this year.

Everything is a big if, this year across the league but this franchise in particular has been nothing but a bunch of ifs for three or four seasons, beyond the normal question marks that every team faces.

While Letowski doesn't have an impact on draft day, hopefully, going into the draft with a defined new direction could definitely help recruiting post draft.

Agree that any discussions that needed to happen following last season better have happened but with the league at a stand still the past year I can't see much interest in worrying about the basic operations of the franchise outside of the owners/governor meeting to discuss league related business. It would be interesting to know how much Bowler and company have kept up with the players. I'm sure they've checked occasionally but would they have maintained weekly contact regardless of the player/prospect to keep up with their training or checking in on those playing in other leagues> I have a feeling contact has been limited. Simple phone calls can do a lot.

I don't see anyone beyond the three kids signed from last year's draft having a shot at a roster spot. Whether they've regressed or not they are rookies and that will be taken into account. Just looking at the past couple of seasons they've signed three or four kids from the draft and moved on from the rest.

That's it. Everyone else was either signed under Rychel or traded for. I know the 02s were technically under Rychel but Bowler was in the process of taking over.

Scouting has disappeared. The problem is the scouts aren't gone because of what's happened, they've been gone since before last season started. Other sources? Could be anything. Like I said before they'll probably look at whatever rankings they can get from various services, talks with past coaches if the coaches call them up promoting their players and then fit in what sounds good with the OHL list, if there is one this year and pick whoever is next on the list. Maybe they'll make a few calls to any out of work scouts they know but that's about it. There wasn't many games to scout this year but most scouting staffs have a line on kids at least a year before their draft, at least the high end kids so while this draft will definitely present challenges for all teams those who had a scouting staff last year likely will be much better prepared than a team who let go and didn't replace much of their scouting staff.

It's going to be interesting, maybe even entertaining to say the least but the potential results don't look promising based on how things have been handled the last couple of seasons leading up to this mess. Year to year decisions likely made a bad situation much worse. Maybe Bowler has a horseshoe stuck somewhere we don't know about and everything magically falls into place. Just going into this blind and hits on everything he needs to. Betting on luck seems to be the way this franchise is heading so why not.

Been betting on luck for a decade...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace

I thought their first round pick this year was an American kid who signed?

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lots of rounds with few ever making the team, why not take flyers and lots of them? Faub you make good points but for some reason my like button is missing lol. Scouts been gone for a few years now, cost cutting measure....

member 71782

I thought their first round pick this year was an American kid who signed?

My point was if they haven't signed an American kid they haven't shown up to camp. The only unsigned American I can think of that's reported in the last few years is Kruszewski, no one else that wasn't signed beforehand. Yes Abraham is an American and will be here, he's already been signed and he's the only drafted American that has been signed by the team in quite a few years and outside of Kruszewski the only American kid that will be at camp the last few years, barring any surprise reports.

member 71782

Lots of rounds with few ever making the team, why not take flyers and lots of them? Faub you make good points but for some reason my like button is missing lol. Scouts been gone for a few years now, cost cutting measure....

It's not that I have an issue with taking flyers on American kids, I'm usually all for it. The issue I have this year is if they think there's going to be a lot of openings this year and next they need kids who will report to camp and they haven't had much luck simply getting American kids to come the last three plus years or so. Their high end flyer picks from the US, even less so. They also haven't been able to convert them into assets through trades either. I'm normally in the camp of take flyers on US kids , especially the high end ones if there's any chance at all they'll report to any team in the league. If they won't report here, trade their rights and get some draft capital in return. This year or moreso this current organization in this year I have no faith in them in being willing to do the work.

They've cut things to the bone and are probably looking at which limb is the first to go.

So far:

Almost the entire scouting staff except for the head scout?

They haven't replaced Weber behind the bench yet, will they?

Any other coaching or support areas that can be eliminated, goaltending, skills development, video?

Have they started combining office and administrative duties yet? Maybe hire a few temps to hire combined duties while moving on from full time staff?

Maybe they're trying to get back to the mom and pop days when you had a GM/coach, and assistant or two, a trainer and stickboy, a head scout and a couple of scouts on contract, a business manager and someone to handle the administrative/office duties. I remember them well but those days are long gone. If they want that type of environment then to go along with that they also need to remember those mom and pop owners reached into their pockets to make sure what was needed was taken care of.

Reactions: punch1943

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
It's not that I have an issue with taking flyers on American kids, I'm usually all for it. The issue I have this year is if they think there's going to be a lot of openings this year and next they need kids who will report to camp and they haven't had much luck simply getting American kids to come the last three plus years or so. Their high end flyer picks from the US, even less so. They also haven't been able to convert them into assets through trades either. I'm normally in the camp of take flyers on US kids , especially the high end ones if there's any chance at all they'll report to any team in the league. If they won't report here, trade their rights and get some draft capital in return. This year or moreso this current organization in this year I have no faith in them in being willing to do the work.

They've cut things to the bone and are probably looking at which limb is the first to go.

So far:

Almost the entire scouting staff except for the head scout?

They haven't replaced Weber behind the bench yet, will they?

Any other coaching or support areas that can be eliminated, goaltending, skills development, video?

Have they started combining office and administrative duties yet? Maybe hire a few temps to hire combined duties while moving on from full time staff?

Maybe they're trying to get back to the mom and pop days when you had a GM/coach, and assistant or two, a trainer and stickboy, a head scout and a couple of scouts on contract, a business manager and someone to handle the administrative/office duties. I remember them well but those days are long gone. If they want that type of environment then to go along with that they also need to remember those mom and pop owners reached into their pockets to make sure what was needed was taken care of.

Not having inside knowledge I'll hazard a guess...If they paid the head coach this year he might be unsigned for 21. If so I can see Bowler left with the GM/Coach scenerio. That would leave one assistant coach (Smith). I can see them dealing a bunch of draft picks in the 5-15 range for future picks. Training camp will probably be small. No sense bringing in a large number of players. It would keep the costs down. Another cost saver for the Spits & others would be a number of teams going together to hire an outside scouting combine to do the scouting for them all. it's been done years ago.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I agree it can be a concern. Does that concern outweigh the fact these kids in Ontario didn't really play any games or get coaching? Will these kids be able to make up that one year in order to be ready for their draft year of 2023? These prospects played a lot of games in the states and many more scrimmages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad