Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Nope. I want to see you behind the bench. That's all. Nothing more. Nothing less :laugh: fans yelling at you for a decision and you scream back "still better than Letowski!!!" The visual is actually making me laugh.

Sure sounds like u r.
Maybe it makes me laugh.....

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Sure sounds like u r.
Maybe it makes me laugh.....

The response about you coaching is nothing but a sports talk radio bit. It's a way to deflect from the job Letowski has done and just shows that said person still adores Letowski as a coach. Sure he could leave but someone would be super sad.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The response about W7 coaching is because it'd amuse me. All he does is complain about the coaching. So, I'd like to see him behind the bench. I've criticized TL many times on here and elsewhere, but I've also given props where due (start of 2019-20). Frankly, I'd be interested to see reactions if TL got fired and they brought in someone who was more defensive -minded. Heads would explode.

Reactions: Otto

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The response about W7 coaching is because it'd amuse me. All he does is complain about the coaching. So, I'd like to see him behind the bench. I've criticized TL many times on here and elsewhere, but I've also given props where due (start of 2019-20). Frankly, I'd be interested to see reactions if TL got fired and they brought in someone who was more defensive -minded. Heads would explode.

Saying W7 to coach behind the bench when he isn't a hockey coach is merely trying to deflect from the job Letowski has done as coach and wanting to be right by believing there is one person Letowski is better at with coaching.

You have really been banging the drum for how good of a coach Letowski look no further to validating his coaching by talking about him being an assistant coach for Team Canada a few years ago. Mind you what Hockey Canada thinks of him and how he has done in Windsor has nothing do with one another. Bob Boughner never coached or was an assistant coach with WJs that doesn't mean they don't think he's a good coach.

Furthermore your little quote about you wanting the Spits to hire a defensive minded coach is befuddling because I don't think we even know what type of coach Letowski is. Here is his 3 years as coach.

GF-16th
GA-7th
PP-16th
PK-5th
Record .515 winning %

GF-18th
GA-11th
PP-17th
PK-7th
Record .441 winning %

GF-7th
GA-10th/11th depending on how you look at totals vs average because of GP
PP-5th
PK-17th
Record .613 sv%

Tenure to date
AVG GF-13.66
AVG GA-9.33
AVG PP-12.66
AVG PK-9.66
Overall regular season record 91-83-17-7 overall winning % of .520

Average seeding 6.33

I think we have a large enough sample size to conclude that Letowski is an average/below average coach. Never been extremely poor but not close to being great. The funny part is you want to see what a defensive minded coach would do well this body of work shows us his teams are better overall defensively (DiPietro for 1.5 seasons) yes they could be worse defensively as time wears on but there isn't much to tell us they are a great offensive team either.

I think we also have enough data to ask ourselves should Letowski return? Note this isn't the same as asking if you think he will be back. I don't think he should return but I believe he will return. First of all because the current owners never hired Letowski. There is zero inkling to show they would know what to do in regards to doing a head coach search/Bowler conducting a head coach search. If current ownership wants him back he will be.

I will also add that there are a lot of coaches in sports now that act like CEOs of the team. They hire terrific assistants, have a very solid GM to give that staff a core to work with and be successful. Boughner is the most successful coach in Spitfires history. Is he a good coach? Yes. Did he hire terrific assistants like Jones/Smith/Dark?? Absolutely and those guys made Boughner a better coach in the process. Could Letowski be a better coach if Bowler gave him better players to work with and Letowski hired terrific assistants to help him?? The answer to that is absolutely. There isn't any sign that either of those things are going to happen. This is what I mean I doubt people care whether a coach offensive minded/defensive minded etc.. If he's a successful coach that's what fans inevitably want. They could put a cardboard cutout of Bob Boughner but if there were great assistants that cardboard cutout would have a great record. Surround yourself with real smart people and things can work.

Coaching is an issue with this team but it's also down the list because there are other issues that need to be addressed as well.

Reactions: stips

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Saying W7 to coach behind the bench when he isn't a hockey coach is merely trying to deflect from the job Letowski has done as coach and wanting to be right by believing there is one person Letowski is better at with coaching.

If you want to think it's a deflection, go for it. It's not the reality but reality hasn't really existed over the last year.

As for TL - yes, I've defended him on multiple occasions. You can toss the comment about the World Juniors out if you wish but Team Canada still put him there. They clearly see something in him and I'm going to trust their judgement more times than not. I've also questioned TL more than a few times this past season, including his insistence on going back to the same old habits that cost us games in the past. If you've read my stuff over the last year, you'd know this.

Should TL return? No. While he has plenty of upside (see: his system adjustment in first half 2019-20), his tendency to fall back into old habits is frustrating at best. If the team moved on, I'd have no issues. The willingness to change and adapt was there but you cannot fall into unproven ways when times get tough.

(can we bookmark this incase any "you never criticize anyone on the club" stuff comes up in the future??)

Reactions: Otto

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If you want to think it's a deflection, go for it. It's not the reality but reality hasn't really existed over the last year.

As for TL - yes, I've defended him on multiple occasions. You can toss the comment about the World Juniors out if you wish but Team Canada still put him there. They clearly see something in him and I'm going to trust their judgement more times than not. I've also questioned TL more than a few times this past season, including his insistence on going back to the same old habits that cost us games in the past. If you've read my stuff over the last year, you'd know this.

Should TL return? No. While he has plenty of upside (see: his system adjustment in first half 2019-20), his tendency to fall back into old habits is frustrating at best. If the team moved on, I'd have no issues. The willingness to change and adapt was there but you cannot fall into unproven ways when times get tough.

(can we bookmark this incase any "you never criticize anyone on the club" stuff comes up in the future??)

Tl n staff record speaks for itself.
Bad coaching systems.

Reactions: stips

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Just some news updates...

Foudy, Cuylle, and Angle are with their AHL clubs on tryouts. Douglas is over in Austria playing for Steel Wings Linz of the AlpsHL. They have a few OHL guys but the team as a whole is pretty atrocious (0-16, averaging 8-1 losses).

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The word around social media is that Steve Bell has been let go by Bell Media. Just like that, no warning. If it's the case, just brutal.

Thats a shame. He was good.
However everyone making cuts.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
The Steve Bell news has brought me out of hibernation. What a loss for the sport fans in this city! I’m sure he won’t be replaced they’ll probably just use Mike & Lisa to read the Sports news. Local stuff will go the way of the Dodo. $$$ are the way of the world. I hope Beller will find a position in the area quickly.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The Steve Bell news has brought me out of hibernation. What a loss for the sport fans in this city! I’m sure he won’t be replaced they’ll probably just use Mike & Lisa to read the Sports news. Local stuff will go the way of the Dodo. $$$ are the way of the world. I hope Beller will find a position in the area quickly.

Money makes the world go around

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
His personality, public speaking, countless hours of charity work and sports knowledge should land him a good position. Hopefully soon. Possible a Spitfires marketing position by day, game calling at night?? He would be a great asset if the owner's opened their wallets and surrounded themselves with good people. Takes money to make money.

Reactions: OHLTG

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Beller is an extremely loyal Windsor sports advocate. He has provided a personality of incredible technique, to his various programme messages. It would be a major loss not to have him in the media limelight!

BRING BACK BELL!

Reactions: Cherrydon

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Great idea cherry! But I don’t think the wallet gets opened. Disgusting the way companies continue to not care about employees and patrons!! It’s time these companies get boycotted. It’s not the first time for Bell. I for one am very loyal. Treat me right I’ll heap praise, treat me poorly and everyone will know it!!

Reactions: Cherrydon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
That's really awful for Bell. Unfortunately this is pretty much a sign of the times. Bell media decided to rebrand 89x and 93.9 the river, at the expense many people lost their job. Print media is dying, as is local radio. With amazon music, spotify, sirius xm people are getting all their news/weather/sports/music in a much tidier package without commercials. I am sure Bell will find something to do but more and more popular media personalities will be losing their job eg. TSN Sens reporter Brent Wallace is out as well.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Steve Bell has been named the official voice of the Spitfires.
It sounds like it will be status quo. Nothing has changed re the Spits. He was already doing mostly home games replacing Mike Miller. He stopped doing the road trips long ago. I can envision him having some sort of podcast a la Don Cherry. Perhaps focusing on Spits and the local sporting scene.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Go ahead and give me the Ba humbug but I'm not a Steve Bell fan. Not really stuck on his play-by-play abilities. Was glad when they moved on to Manny P but I'm also not sure if he is still around. Never good to see someone lose their job and I hope he finds something that suits his skillset someday but this is not it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad