Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
As per the OHL post yesterday regarding the number of OHL graduates at NHL training camps. London leads the way with like 41. Sarnia was mid pack with like 14 and Windsor was below them. Granted some were traded before they graduated but in general but all teams face that issue. Considering the majority of the Spits were from the 2009-2010 teams, the Spits continue to underdevelop talent since those years with Bougner coaching. This is a major factor for having a hard time recruiting. Sure the overwhelming vast majority never see the pros, but kids sign and start their careers with the hope of one day making the show.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
That does not address the coaching staff, which is still in place. This will lead to repeated problems.

I think trevor last year.
After that clean house. All should be gone. However with this cheap ownership, wouldn't be shocked if they give an extension.....

member 71782

We would like to thank the Spitfire Coaching Staff for playing Boka, Purboo,Angel, Playfair, Stevenson, and Corcoran ahead of us. This helped make our decision to leave the team much easier!
312005-ebdbb4eaabd1c1f1845dea75829d757a.jpg

Not sure what this post means - Kari is a goalie, Igor played 1st and 2nd line minutes, Rubin was a 1st year 17yr old player. He would never play in front of Corcoran on any team? Igor got more ice than Playfair and Purboo. The only ones that holds water is Boka and Stevenson.
I'm not a fan of this coaching staff but not sure where you are going with this? I think other players on the Spits would fit the narrative better, McDonald comes to mind.

I liked the comment just because the intent was right. Absolutely could have chosen some better names lol. I’m betting at least 2 of them are using it to rub it in... good for them!

Fitting

I would imagine the point of the comment would be the prioritizing of seniority over talent along with the failure to build around the skillsets of the players regardless of talent level.

Piiroinen started off well his first year, had a bad game against Barrie and didn't see much action until DiPietro was traded. Everyone knew DiPietro was likely going to be traded and instead of getting the kid some starts he sat and then was thrown to the wolves. The kid had some faults/issues here, I've stated it multiple times but he also showed he had some abilities at times as well and gave/give credit for that as well. The problem wasn't following DiPietro IMO, it was lacking the experience and riding pine after one bad start in his first six or seven games then saying here ya go, don't screw this up. If he would have ever gained some consistency he would have been fine but a short leash way too early and again when you've thrown him to the wolves does not make for a chance to build consistency. Poor management by the staff in how he was used.

Rafkin and Afanasyev were here for one year and while Purboo, Boka and Stevenson were career Spitfires.

Afanasyev did receive top 6 minutes much of his time here but he also spent a good chunk of time on the third line as well. I would imagine with him the argument could be made that was he, here as a sniper/goal scorer was being used as a second option behind Angle both 5 v 5 and on the PP. Windsor's PP struggled for a while and it was always the same, get the puck back to Angle on the left point to take the shot regardless of who had a shot. He was also used to spend a lot of time digging pucks out of the corners while Angle sat out front waiting to be fed.

Rafkin was also being used in a lot of situations and while he was fine most of the time if he struggled for a game or two he lost his minutes. Those that replaced him would bring similar results but they would keep those minutes for much longer stretches.

It all comes back to what most have seen as one of the biggest problems with this team the last couple of years, seniority trumps skill whether it be in on ice minutes or how plays were used. In the end it cost this team wins and it likely cost a lot of players development opportunities.

Until the front office/organizational philosophy changes we will continue to see the same results. It starts with ownership and goes all the way down through the staff, players mainly do as their told and if the coaches won't use them in the right situations then they will not develop and once that development, lack of development is as clear as it's become getting kids to report will only get harder. The never ending cycle of mediocrity has already set in and the best opportunities to change it the last two seasons have already passed this organization by, it's going to be a few more years before they can fix this unless they clean house and accept a couple of down years while building up assets they missed out on recently.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Fitting

I would imagine the point of the comment would be the prioritizing of seniority over talent along with the failure to build around the skillsets of the players regardless of talent level.

Piiroinen started off well his first year, had a bad game against Barrie and didn't see much action until DiPietro was traded. Everyone knew DiPietro was likely going to be traded and instead of getting the kid some starts he sat and then was thrown to the wolves. The kid had some faults/issues here, I've stated it multiple times but he also showed he had some abilities at times as well and gave/give credit for that as well. The problem wasn't following DiPietro IMO, it was lacking the experience and riding pine after one bad start in his first six or seven games then saying here ya go, don't screw this up. If he would have ever gained some consistency he would have been fine but a short leash way too early and again when you've thrown him to the wolves does not make for a chance to build consistency. Poor management by the staff in how he was used.

Rafkin and Afanasyev were here for one year and while Purboo, Boka and Stevenson were career Spitfires.

Afanasyev did receive top 6 minutes much of his time here but he also spent a good chunk of time on the third line as well. I would imagine with him the argument could be made that was he, here as a sniper/goal scorer was being used as a second option behind Angle both 5 v 5 and on the PP. Windsor's PP struggled for a while and it was always the same, get the puck back to Angle on the left point to take the shot regardless of who had a shot. He was also used to spend a lot of time digging pucks out of the corners while Angle sat out front waiting to be fed.

Rafkin was also being used in a lot of situations and while he was fine most of the time if he struggled for a game or two he lost his minutes. Those that replaced him would bring similar results but they would keep those minutes for much longer stretches.

It all comes back to what most have seen as one of the biggest problems with this team the last couple of years, seniority trumps skill whether it be in on ice minutes or how plays were used. In the end it cost this team wins and it likely cost a lot of players development opportunities.

Until the front office/organizational philosophy changes we will continue to see the same results. It starts with ownership and goes all the way down through the staff, players mainly do as their told and if the coaches won't use them in the right situations then they will not develop and once that development, lack of development is as clear as it's become getting kids to report will only get harder. The never ending cycle of mediocrity has already set in and the best opportunities to change it the last two seasons have already passed this organization by, it's going to be a few more years before they can fix this unless they clean house and accept a couple of down years while building up assets they missed out on recently.

Very well said

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Good to see I’m not the only one who can see just how bad TL and this ownership has been for this team. Borderline disastrous! Problem is I don’t think the Savages agree to sell for what it will go for right now.

Reactions: Cherrydon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Good to see I’m not the only one who can see just how bad TL and this ownership has been for this team. Borderline disastrous! Problem is I don’t think the Savages agree to sell for what it will go for right now.

I can still see Letowski returning next year 21-22, regardless of what happens this year. Bowler and Letowski have still been getting paid and since this organization isn't making any money this year and by all accounts quite cheap I can see them just rolling over Letowski's contract. Note I am not saying I would want him back or he deserves to return but mainly looking at how this organization has been operating as of late.

As an aside any rumors on who the Spits are looking at to replace Mike Weber? There has been an opening for 4 months now..... Regardless if there is hockey currently being played I would think there would have been news.

Reactions: Cherrydon

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I can still see Letowski returning next year 21-22, regardless of what happens this year. Bowler and Letowski have still been getting paid and since this organization isn't making any money this year and by all accounts quite cheap I can see them just rolling over Letowski's contract. Note I am not saying I would want him back or he deserves to return but mainly looking at how this organization has been operating as of late.

As an aside any rumors on who the Spits are looking at to replace Mike Weber? There has been an opening for 4 months now..... Regardless if there is hockey currently being played I would think there would have been news.

I don't imagine they are even trying to replace Webber right now. I'm sure they are seeing this as a cost saving measure and Bowler will make some comment on how 2 coaches on the bench makes more sense right now.

I'm not trying to defend how players were used last season but Stips post made no sense on the choice of players it impacted. The narrative is correct just the wrong players. Igor officially has not even left the team, just on loan. He may even be back although more likely in the AHL. Kari was not slighted because Boka was playing and neither was Rafkin unless he was going to play upfront. So pick the right players like McDonald, Maggio and D'Amico and even Cuylle. Boka was used on the PP when these players sat. I will be happy to see this end although I'm not sure it will sadly.

stips

Apr 3, 2016

Would it not surprise you to see Nathan Savage in Weber's spot?

stips

Apr 3, 2016
I don't imagine they are even trying to replace Webber right now. I'm sure they are seeing this as a cost saving measure and Bowler will make some comment on how 2 coaches on the bench makes more sense right now.

I'm not trying to defend how players were used last season but Stips post made no sense on the choice of players it impacted. The narrative is correct just the wrong players. Igor officially has not even left the team, just on loan. He may even be back although more likely in the AHL. Kari was not slighted because Boka was playing and neither was Rafkin unless he was going to play upfront. So pick the right players like McDonald, Maggio and D'Amico and even Cuylle. Boka was used on the PP when these players sat. I will be happy to see this end although I'm not sure it will sadly.

You obviously did not read into the point. Bias coaching has cost the Spits so many games. TL riding his vets past exhaustion (think of numerous overtime game losses!) 3rd or 4th line players playing 1st or 2nd line minutes..... Boka on the powerplay, ect. I was suggesting that maybe these 3 players left as they might have felt slighted by their coaches??????

Last edited:

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
They aren’t looking at all for a coach. If a savage ends up back there every fan should boycott. Hell if TL is back there there should be a revolt. This is pure and simply about money. They don’t care about players or fans!!

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
You obviously did not read into the point. Bias coaching has cost the Spits so many games. TL riding his vets past exhaustion (think of numerous overtime game losses!) 3rd or 4th line players playing 1st or 2nd line minutes..... Boka on the powerplay, ect. I was suggesting that maybe these 3 players left as they might have felt slighted by their coaches??????
Obviously I did get the point, I even confirmed that in my post. Obviously your not getting my point. These 3 players don't fit your narrative. Igor is not officially gone, Kari is not slighted because more senior players played ahead of him . Kari was the senior goalie. Rafkin may have had that beef but in my eyes not justified to your statement that Corcoran played ahead of him. Stevenson for sure. I totally agree that this coaching staff favoured senior players over skill just not the group you are holding up as an example. Anyway done with this.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
They aren’t looking at all for a coach. If a savage ends up back there every fan should boycott. Hell if TL is back there there should be a revolt. This is pure and simply about money. They don’t care about players or fans!!

Their argument might be he has experience coaching The Vipers!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I guess the only case you could make for Piiroinen would have been when they acquired Incze to "replace" the departing DiPietro. Incze played an awful lot for a goalie who wasn't going to return. A lot of that had to do with the Spits having the idea they would rather finish as an 8th seed grab 2 home playoff games. Rather than just bottom out and completely rebuild. I am not here to discuss the merits of either strategy but I just know continually being mediocre is going to kill off more fans than just bottoming out and start from scratch.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Columbus releases Angle. He will have to become a great team player and have a tremendous season to achieve his professional goals.

Maybe the coaches ( inner circle) will play him 40 minutes a game to help his development!

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Everything has gone totally quiet again. Not sure if that means something is up or if it’s just quiet. Mikey is staying in Vancouver for now as third goalie.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Thinking out loud - I wonder if the chaos from the last sale has meant any future sales are completely hush-hush until they're done? When Riolo sold the club, there was a ton of publicity about it (as much as you can have without social media), but it was all "no no no no no!!".... until it happened. With the last one, it all exploded and I don't think it was intended to get out. If I'm the Spitfires, I don't say a word and make sure nobody else says anything, either.

On another note - looks like Foudy has an amateur tryout with the Colorado Eagles (AHL). He reports in a week or so.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
If no season comes to fruition this year. Appears unlikely at this point. How many SPITS have already played their last game last year? Lot of spots to fill starting 21-22 season. Would have been nice to have acquired assets at last year's trade deadline.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Assuming no season and we start off in Sept like normal, we lose...

On D: Corcoran, Rupoli
On F: Angle, Douglas, Playfair, likely Afanasyev (he'll probably go AHL).

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
If no season comes to fruition this year. Appears unlikely at this point. How many SPITS have already played their last game last year? Lot of spots to fill starting 21-22 season. Would have been nice to have acquired assets at last year's trade deadline.

Instead sat on his hands......

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Can’t fault anyone for covid issues. No crystal balls lol. That doesn’t fully absolve BB he agreed to take this job knowing full well the Savages were running the show. I’m not sure what to think. They talked on the nhl broadcasts last night of the season possibly resuming soon. Not sure where that info came from. Gotta get shots in arms quickly imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad