Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Thinking out loud - wonder if they'd consider bringing Letowski on as an assistant after his current contract runs out. Have BB coach, RT and TL assist, and WR as a scout. Haha draft Foudy and Cuylle and you're set...

Might want to keep those out loud thoughts private because that is all crazy.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
and I guess none of your outside thoughts have been deemed crazy..
right..

Well when Boughner named Thompson and Madden as associate and assistant coaches respectively I don't know whey you throw Letowski's name out there. Boughner wouldn't be hiring Rychel as a scout and the Spits have actually never drafted a Windsor Spitfire player in their franchise history. Sure people can post something but when you say right away "thinking out loud" he knew exactly what he wanted and got it.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I realize that even hinting at TL being offered a job in the pros would be jumped on here; that's their choice. However, given the Windsor connection, I think it's an interesting thought and this place is full of those. That being said, none of us know what Boughner/Thompson are thinking right now and ruling out TL or even WR as a scout doesn't seem right... even well down the road.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I realize that even hinting at TL being offered a job in the pros would be jumped on here; that's their choice. However, given the Windsor connection, I think it's an interesting thought and this place is full of those. That being said, none of us know what Boughner/Thompson are thinking right now and ruling out TL or even WR as a scout doesn't seem right... even well down the road.

Ruling Letowski out right now seems like the smart thing since they have Thompson and Madden with Boughner. The same John Madden who has been an assistant in the NHL for 3 years and head coach in the AHL for 3. NHL teams moving forward most likely won't be hiring more people they will be making cuts.

Reactions: windsor7

member 71782

What would Boughner being HC have to do with Rychel being hired as a scout? I don't think many coaches would have input on who the GM or other higher ups hire as scouts.

While from the perspective of many fans here seeing Letowski move on wouldn't bother them I doubt he's going anywhere before his contract is up, particularly behind the bench with if he's filled out his bench staff. Sure he could be used in another capacity but I don't think that's happening in the near future no matter how hard people wish/hope it will be.

You're not going to see a bigger Windsor reunion in SJ simply because BB had the interim tag removed.

Rychel will/won't get an NHL job because of his past work not because a new coach is going to get control of the scouting staff hires, not happening.

Letowski will/won't get a different job because of his past work which after the past two seasons isn't stellar.

No team is looking to hire a bunch of people simply because of past connections, they want results.

member 71782

Dubas and Keefe on line one...

I don't think hiring guys who have proven to win together, even at a junior level, is a bad thing.

What's Boughner's position? Head Coach. They don't hire the scouting staff.

What's Dubas' position? GM, it's his job to hire the coach among others.

See a difference? Boughner wouldn't be bringing Rychel in.

Now if a GM wanted to put the Windsor band back together that would be someone else making the call. If Boughner wanted Letowski or someone else as his assistants he would have either the autonomy to do it or input on the hiring at minimum.

There's a GM/HS/DoH OPS hanging up the phone until someone understands who hires who in different departments.

Since there was no announcement of Letowski being hired as an assistant I'll guess Boughner preferred other options. Maybe if Thompson gets a HC job he'll announce Letowski and J. Smith as his assistants since they had a successful season or two together.

Nothing wrong with keeping successful people together but it has to be in the job description to hire them.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What's Boughner's position? Head Coach. They don't hire the scouting staff.

What's Dubas' position? GM, it's his job to hire the coach among others.

See a difference? Boughner wouldn't be bringing Rychel in.

Now if a GM wanted to put the Windsor band back together that would be someone else making the call. If Boughner wanted Letowski or someone else as his assistants he would have either the autonomy to do it or input on the hiring at minimum.

There's a GM/HS/DoH OPS hanging up the phone until someone understands who hires who in different departments.

Since there was no announcement of Letowski being hired as an assistant I'll guess Boughner preferred other options. Maybe if Thompson gets a HC job he'll announce Letowski and J. Smith as his assistants since they had a successful season or two together.

Nothing wrong with keeping successful people together but it has to be in the job description to hire them.

I'm aware of the hiring hierarchy. I'm also of the belief that people can influence each other. If I'm a GM, I'm talking to my entire staff about who should be hired. While I make the final call, the group has input. If I hire Boughner, and have a chance to get Rychel in there, knowing what they did with the Spitfires, I'm going to do my best to make that happen.

Keefe has had just over a half of a season behind the Leafs' bench. Given his rather impressive coaching record at all levels (CCHL, OHL, and AHL), he'll be given plenty of time to show what he has at the NHL level. On the other hand, Dubas was hired in 2014 and is at the point where results are necessary. The team has oodles of potential but contracts and making the second round are an issue. Thus, Keefe has a longer leash than Dubas.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I'm aware of the hiring hierarchy. I'm also of the belief that people can influence each other. If I'm a GM, I'm talking to my entire staff about who should be hired. While I make the final call, the group has input. If I hire Boughner, and have a chance to get Rychel in there, knowing what they did with the Spitfires, I'm going to do my best to make that happen.

:banghead:

Reactions: OHLTG

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit

Keefe has had just over a half of a season behind the Leafs' bench. Given his rather impressive coaching record at all levels (CCHL, OHL, and AHL), he'll be given plenty of time to show what he has at the NHL level. On the other hand, Dubas was hired in 2014 and is at the point where results are necessary. The team has oodles of potential but contracts and making the second round are an issue. Thus, Keefe has a longer leash than Dubas.

Dubas hired Keefe. If Dubas gets fired one could assume the incoming GM would want his guy as coach and I suspect it wouldn’t be someone who has little track record in the NHL

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

That doesn't sound like a good organization if the GM is asking everyone on the staff who should be hired. In other words there are too many cooks in the kitchen. The last time Boughner/Rychel teamed up for success was over a decade ago, the game has changed a lot since then. I wouldn't be making decisions for my organization based upon what 2 guys did together 10+ years ago.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Dubas hired Keefe. If Dubas gets fired one could assume the incoming GM would want his guy as coach and I suspect it wouldn’t be someone who has little track record in the NHL

Those guys have a long leash, Keefe coached 45 games or so in a pandemic shortened season and this will be Dubas 3rd year upcoming as a GM.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere

What makes you think WR would make a good scout anyways?

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Those guys have a long leash, Keefe coached 45 games or so in a pandemic shortened season and this will be Dubas 3rd year upcoming as a GM.
I am surprised one hasnt been fired. All that talent and they failed to make the playoffs/round of 16.

Reactions: Sec108

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
He was with Arizona for six seasons before he came to Windsor. Something must have worked.
Well i wouldn’t say worked. Arizona only had about 4 players play over 500 games during those drafts. Yes he isn’t the only scout but wouldn’t say it worked out all that well.

member 71782

I figured you were but you seemed so hopeful Boughner could get it done that I wasn't sure if you knew or were just letting your fantasies out for some fresh air.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
When Rychel drafted the first year as Spits owner, it was an incredible draft. He had a ton of knowledge from scouting in the NHL Drafting went away as he tenure increased. He appeared to always be looking for another Ryan Ellis, and struck out many times! He was always his "own man", and most likely did not listen to his scouts!!!!! Therefore missing the playoffs became a yearly thing.
He is old school, and maybe those days have gone by.

I would still be extremely satisfied if Boughner and Rychel were still in charge of the Spits, as they gave the fans some great thrills!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad