Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnjoytheO

Keeping up
Aug 11, 2017
GTA
They rewrote all of the sexual assault laws because of cases like this, having charges dropped due to a lack of evidence in the 90's should hardly clear Bowler's reputation. Its still a massive red flag we don't need, and the fact that the usually well informed cfaub doesn't know the story tells you they've done a good job of making this go away.

Bit of a cheep shot. There were 3 players involved and he wasn’t the main complaint, all were legally cleared. I don’t think it’s a cause for alarm considering the reasons for the the charges being dropped. Let’s stick to his hockey issues.

OHL Fan

Mar 5, 2020
Just a fan on this site and I appreciate the interesting conversation and I must say its very educational.

Hockey, and rituals and hazing were alot different 25 yrs ago compared to now. Bowler and others were kids and I am sure peer pressure and leniency on enforcement, got the better of most kids. If you have a chance, watch the comedy Delirious with Eddy Murphy with your kids and you would be in shock what Society got away with back then. It doesnt condone it, but unfortunately it was part of the norm back then.

He is a family man and I am sure it is way past him and not something that he would approve today.

Long story short, I think we should evaluate Bill Bowler on his on ice success and work. I am sure the Savages and David Branch and OHL are satisfied with Bowler as an exec in this league. JMO

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Spits are retaining the rights of Rafkin even tho he signed back home and is the reason they only making 1 pick in Import Draft.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Spits are retaining the rights of Rafkin even tho he signed back home and is the reason they only making 1 pick in Import Draft.
Their thought process in my opinion is that Rafkin is projected to be drafted in the upcoming draft (whenever that happens). His NHL team may want him to play in the O. While I expect him to be in Finland this season, based on this scenario, he may be back next season.

In reality, players drafted in the 2nd round usually don't pan out. I also believe, the Import draft will be very shallow this season because of health concerns. A few years ago it looked like Starikov would be the exception, but his 2nd year showed why he went in the 2nd round. By keeping Rafkin, they may have a number 1 defenseman next year. If Rafkin doesn't return in a year, then he is released and the Spits have a selection next year. It is a calculated risk. Also, If the Spits have a chance to acquire an Import through trade, they can release Rafkin at that time or trade his rights.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Rafkin is being protected by club, per Jim Parker. That's why just one pick.
As I said the other day...
One of the problems I have with the Branch Davidians is that everything is secretly done. Eg (Waivers). Each team has a 50 man protected list. You can bet Rafkin is still on it. If someone saw that Piiroinen & Rafkin we’re waived please let me know.
You can bet if they didn’t keep Rafkin someone would snap him up in a heartbeat. If he does want to come back to the OHL he will IMHO, play elsewhere...

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
As I said the other day...
One of the problems I have with the Branch Davidians is that everything is secretly done. Eg (Waivers). Each team has a 50 man protected list. You can bet Rafkin is still on it. If someone saw that Piiroinen & Rafkin we’re waived please let me know.
You can bet if they didn’t keep Rafkin someone would snap him up in a heartbeat. If he does want to come back to the OHL he will IMHO, play elsewhere...

Maybe he just doesn't want to play for Windsor....

Reactions: NOA

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Hmmm Rafkin out for this year and TL’s contract is up this year..... As for you harping in the BB thing crease, if your as aware as your making it sound you also know the particulars behind the issue!! I’d never defend them if it were a true crime, butt, pardon the pun, it became quite clear to those investigating what actually happened hence charges dropped. Your grasping at straws there and you know it. If you don’t you should be ashamed for bringing it back up without checking into it!!!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Their thought process in my opinion is that Rafkin is projected to be drafted in the upcoming draft (whenever that happens). His NHL team may want him to play in the O. While I expect him to be in Finland this season, based on this scenario, he may be back next season.

In reality, players drafted in the 2nd round usually don't pan out. I also believe, the Import draft will be very shallow this season because of health concerns. A few years ago it looked like Starikov would be the exception, but his 2nd year showed why he went in the 2nd round. By keeping Rafkin, they may have a number 1 defenseman next year. If Rafkin doesn't return in a year, then he is released and the Spits have a selection next year. It is a calculated risk. Also, If the Spits have a chance to acquire an Import through trade, they can release Rafkin at that time or trade his rights.

I understand what you're saying in the thought process but is this process based upon a thought process that makes sense??

1. Let's say Rafkin sticks in Finland for this upcoming year. Spits have a similar year to this past year middle of the pack and select around 30th or so in the import draft in 2021?? Would they just give up the rights to Rafkin in order to select an import in 2021??

2. How many imports in CHL history have gone to the CHL, gone back to europe only to return the next year??

3. Under the last part in point 1. Why not maximize all your import slots?? Yes if they were to trade for another import they would give up Rafkin and any assets it would take to acquire said player.

Seems Bowler will say he likes his roster, experience returning and whenever camp happens the team will be pretty much picked before a puck is dropped.

Reactions: NOA

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I understand what you're saying in the thought process but is this process based upon a thought process that makes sense??

1. Let's say Rafkin sticks in Finland for this upcoming year. Spits have a similar year to this past year middle of the pack and select around 30th or so in the import draft in 2021?? Would they just give up the rights to Rafkin in order to select an import in 2021??

2. How many imports in CHL history have gone to the CHL, gone back to europe only to return the next year??

3. Under the last part in point 1. Why not maximize all your import slots?? Yes if they were to trade for another import they would give up Rafkin and any assets it would take to acquire said player.

Seems Bowler will say he likes his roster, experience returning and whenever camp happens the team will be pretty much picked before a puck is dropped.

That be a boring approach

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While Windsor has pick 40 tomorrow, they'll have the 32nd pick with eight teams passing in front of them.

Notable former picks in the 32 slot...

- Mads Sogaard G
- Rasmus Andersson (Barrie)
- Julius Honka D
- Andrei Pedan D (Guelph)
- Ole Julian Holm (Miss)

All played well when they came over, too.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
While Windsor has pick 40 tomorrow, they'll have the 32nd pick with eight teams passing in front of them.

Notable former picks in the 32 slot...

- Mads Sogaard G
- Rasmus Andersson (Barrie)
- Julius Honka D
- Andrei Pedan D (Guelph)
- Ole Julian Holm (Miss)

All played well when they came over, too.

All those players did get coached by Windsor's coaching staff....

member 71782

It's the import draft today, this should be interesting(?).

I'm going to give Bowler some credit here, he'll be working hard for this. sort of. just not in the way most will expect him to be.

My guess is he knows who has deals already set up so they'll be excluded immediately. That's a lot of work talking to agents etc and he won't want to rock any boats.

Next he'll review all the free scouting reports he can find. That'll be a lot of work reading up on prospects.

Next he'll contact some agents, see who may or may not report of those who have no deals. If they'll report he'll review the cost of bringing them over and find the 30 or 40 least expensive. More discussions with agents etc so he'll be working really hard.

As names get called he'll pull them of his list. He'll have to work hard at paying attention to make sure he doesn't miss anyone then he'll have a decision to make. Does he go with the highest ranked player that's not likely to report or does he put the 10 with the cheapest costs of those remaining in a hat and pull out a name when he has to make his pick? That'll be the tough decision because he will then have to sell to the fans the reasoning behind drafting a talent that he knows won't report or simply getting a player while passing on others who would likely have a bigger impact. Stressful situation, can he handle it?

As for protecting Rafkin, this makes no sense.

I think we'll see a sales job before training camp that they are in touch with him, working hard to get him to come back or hoping whoever drafts him talks him into coming back. This will be their justification for passing on the 2nd pick.

Some have alluded to reasons why he decided not to return, whatever they may be so that'll make it extremely difficult.

The only reason to have protected Rafkin if he decided not to return to Windsor would have been to trade him before the draft. Obviously that didn't happen so there's no reason to have protected him. Yes. another team could have drafted him for nothing and Windsor would have no return but if he doesn't return then Windsor still gets no return and they give up a free pick to replace him with so protecting him makes no sense at all.

I expect this to be a continuation of what we've seen the last year and a half, an organization bumbling their way through the motions of running a franchise simply trying to find ways to justify their lack of actions in building a competitive team. If they had any hope of being competitive this year they needed 2 high end imports from this draft and instead they are protecting the rights to someone who doesn't want to return while giving up the ability to draft a second import for this season. They are literally throwing away a free asset to weaken the team.

I won't go to games, still paying for cable to watch and that's becoming a tough choice to justify with this group. This has got to change soon or they will destroy the fanbase.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
When is the last time the Spits have picked 2 high end imports in same draft? When was the last time the team had 2 high end imports in the same year that they have drafted? I’m fine protecting Rafkin. NHL team could want him back in NA the following year.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

I will also add that it’s very rare for an NHL team to “demand” their prospects play in CHL. Honestly don’t think that’s ever how it works. They may tell their prospects “we prefer” or “we would like” but I think in most cases they allow the player to do what is comfortable for them. It would be different if Rafkin was a top 10-15 pick and expected to sign an NHL contract right away.. then yes they might dictate him to stay in OHL. But he’s not going to be drafted high and in that scenario he likely won’t be signed right away. So a team isn’t going to force their unsigned prospect to play in the OHL..

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
It's the import draft today, this should be interesting(?).

I'm going to give Bowler some credit here, he'll be working hard for this. sort of. just not in the way most will expect him to be.

My guess is he knows who has deals already set up so they'll be excluded immediately. That's a lot of work talking to agents etc and he won't want to rock any boats.

Next he'll review all the free scouting reports he can find. That'll be a lot of work reading up on prospects.

Next he'll contact some agents, see who may or may not report of those who have no deals. If they'll report he'll review the cost of bringing them over and find the 30 or 40 least expensive. More discussions with agents etc so he'll be working really hard.

As names get called he'll pull them of his list. He'll have to work hard at paying attention to make sure he doesn't miss anyone then he'll have a decision to make. Does he go with the highest ranked player that's not likely to report or does he put the 10 with the cheapest costs of those remaining in a hat and pull out a name when he has to make his pick? That'll be the tough decision because he will then have to sell to the fans the reasoning behind drafting a talent that he knows won't report or simply getting a player while passing on others who would likely have a bigger impact. Stressful situation, can he handle it?

As for protecting Rafkin, this makes no sense.

I think we'll see a sales job before training camp that they are in touch with him, working hard to get him to come back or hoping whoever drafts him talks him into coming back. This will be their justification for passing on the 2nd pick.

Some have alluded to reasons why he decided not to return, whatever they may be so that'll make it extremely difficult.

The only reason to have protected Rafkin if he decided not to return to Windsor would have been to trade him before the draft. Obviously that didn't happen so there's no reason to have protected him. Yes. another team could have drafted him for nothing and Windsor would have no return but if he doesn't return then Windsor still gets no return and they give up a free pick to replace him with so protecting him makes no sense at all.

I expect this to be a continuation of what we've seen the last year and a half, an organization bumbling their way through the motions of running a franchise simply trying to find ways to justify their lack of actions in building a competitive team. If they had any hope of being competitive this year they needed 2 high end imports from this draft and instead they are protecting the rights to someone who doesn't want to return while giving up the ability to draft a second import for this season. They are literally throwing away a free asset to weaken the team.

I won't go to games, still paying for cable to watch and that's becoming a tough choice to justify with this group. This has got to change soon or they will destroy the fanbase.

Not sure of this but...please correct me if I’m wrong. .if I remember correctly you can’t trade an import for a period of time I think 1 year.Somperhaps that factors in. If so there is an import/o/a goaltender on the market. Not everyone want’s an o/a- import . Now I know that’s reaching but it’s a possibility. Sometimes what’s floated in the papers is done for a reason.

member 71782

Not sure of this but...please correct me if I’m wrong. .if I remember correctly you can’t trade an import for a period of time I think 1 year.Somperhaps that factors in. If so there is an import/o/a goaltender on the market. Not everyone want’s an o/a- import . Now I know that’s reaching but it’s a possibility. Sometimes what’s floated in the papers is done for a reason.

The player can be traded if they report in their first year at a certain point in the season. This was changed in the last season or two. North Bay traded an import last year after they played one game during the deadline period.

The one year could apply to trading the rights to a player who won't report, not sure about that but last year Windsor could have traded Rafkin at the deadline if it was a consideration.

Not sure of the full period of time but remember Branch saying that if imports came over to the team they were drafted by and weren't happy trades could be made at a certain point.

Reactions: punch1943

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Daniil Sobolev - RD
Windsor Spitfires
Selected 40th in Round # 1
Shoots:
R
Height:
Weight:
Hometown:
St. Petersburg, Rus
Last Team:
Moscow Spartak Jr.
Nationality:
Russian

spitsfan24

Mar 18, 2017
Seems to be a defensive dman. 6 points in 48 games with 47 PIM in the Russian JR. league (MHL).

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Observation on Sobolev - his team reminds me a bit of the Spits in 2018-19 where nobody was producing. Their leading scorer had 52 points in 62 games and nobody else had more than 37 points. The top d-man had 18 points. Sobolev was also the second youngest of 13 d-men who played.

member 71782

03, right RD.

A defensive Dman could certainly help, hopefully that's the case. That'll put some pressure on kids like Kruszewski and Jodion to step up for a roster spot although most likely limits their chances if Sobolev reports.

At least he didn't pick an 01 C or LW that wasn't NHL drafted.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Observation on Sobolev - his team reminds me a bit of the Spits in 2018-19 where nobody was producing. Their leading scorer had 52 points in 62 games and nobody else had more than 37 points. The top d-man had 18 points. Sobolev was also the second youngest of 13 d-men who played.

His team reminds you of the 18-19 Spits?? Where do you get this evaluation come from? Game tape?? We need to stop with these evaluations of a guy you never saw play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad