Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I don't think Kerby is giving up on NHL dreams - just trying a different route. Go play in Sweden a year or two and try to show out a bit and maybe break the set in opinions on what he is. I mean there are much worse things than playing professional hockey in Sweden for $200K a season if that is all he ends up doing for the next ten years. But he's only turning 25yrs old in October, so a couple years in SHL and he's the ripe old age of 27yo and could look for another shot at the NHL. I think this route has a better chance of paying off for him then if he toiled away in the AHL, getting a handful of NHL games a year on call-ups.
It’s probably a good move for him. He will be a bigger fish on a smaller pond so to speak. So far he hasn’t set the world on fire in the minors. With expansion on the horizon a good season in Sweden might give him a leg up to an NHL job in the future. If I’m correct players make out like bandits in Europe with housing/transportation and other extras added to their contracts...

Reactions: OHLTG and windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I knew all along that he'd sign; had heard nearly 100% confirmation a couple of weeks ago, too. It's a nice signing as he wants to be here and plays a style that fans should enjoy.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I knew all along that he'd sign; had heard nearly 100% confirmation a couple of weeks ago, too. It's a nice signing as he wants to be here and plays a style that fans should enjoy.

Possibly to the fans that have been showing up for games.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Speaking about knowing two weeks ago I suggest that there won’t be as much inside info coming from the Spitfires as previously. I think the new regime will be more tight lipped.
So with less than 48 hours to go before the trade window opens who do you love?
Who will the Spits deal 1st? Will they hold onto everyone until training camp?
My suspicion still is they will try to get a physical D-MAN to help clear the front of the net for the young goaltenders.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Very likely punch, lips are tighter already. Doesn’t mean it’ll stay that way but it is right now. Let’s see if bowler has the ability, knowledge, and the savage ok to deal!! Team does still need a body moving great first pass, big shot D man.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I hope they clear out the dead wood prior to camp. It's s waste of time and effort to start building your special teams and strategy (if TL even has one lol) only to pull the plug on a few after camp. Anyone who has been a cancer in the dressing room needs to be moved prior to camp. With only a handful of NHL drafted players at NHL camps to start the regular season we should be able to get a decent start out of the gate.

Reactions: Sec108

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Read the article on Rafkin in the Star today, I like his size 6' 188 .

Would like to see some new OA blood, Boka & Purboo both out imo.

Spits need a goal scorer but no one will trade you one of those..........

Reactions: Cherrydon

member 71782

Rafkin should be a nice addition on the blueline.

I think any OA changes will depend on what they do coming out of camp. While I think Boka and Purboo have more value in deals then they do staying if all they could get were late mid round or later picks for them then keep them on the fourth lone and move them up and down the line up as needed as well as PK duty. I think/hope they are both moved but until we see how this organization plans to do things beyond assumptions I and many have made no one really knows what's going to happen.

An OA D is fine but as I have said I hope they don't spend more then what they get for Stevenson or any other OAs they move. This team is still a year away barring any miracle runs so keep the focus on the kids. Who reports on D will determine what the make up is for this year potentially making a couple of D already here expendable.

An 01/02 scorer who can be here for the next two seasons would be nice to finish off the top six for this year and going into next year but as you said, who's going to want to move one? The other issue of course is assets. While Spits have a few they don't have enough to go spending on players then hope to make a run in 2020/21. Camp will determine the possible direction while the intentions of thie organization will be the biggest factor. I expect August to be fairly quiet. A couple of small moves may be possible but nothing earth shattering, simply the ones most expect in terms of Frasca, Garagan, Stevenson, Incze being likely if any happen. Really just expect a couple of quiet weeks until camp and go from there. Most likely, unless there are any surprises out of camp I expect nothing much until the trade deadline and even then it may be quiet in Windsor.

Reactions: Sec108

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Take a hard look at the Hounds roster. Good chance we move an '01 forward, and they all have skills. They may not net you 120 points in a season, but I expect them all to mature into a PPG type of production if not this season then definitely by next.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I hope they clear out the dead wood prior to camp. It's s waste of time and effort to start building your special teams and strategy (if TL even has one lol) only to pull the plug on a few after camp. Anyone who has been a cancer in the dressing room needs to be moved prior to camp. With only a handful of NHL drafted players at NHL camps to start the regular season we should be able to get a decent start out of the gate.

Gladly agree.
Hope they get rid of the players also

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Agreed

Reactions: ohl17

Mein Yak

Jan 5, 2019
Just wondering how much would a package of Douglas and Angle cost Kitchener.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Yak I’d do it for a high rated young D man and a 2nd round pick

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yak I’d do it for a high rated young D man and a 2nd round pick
You see that is why you are not the GM:). You would let 2 NHL drafted players go for 1 unproven D and 1 for a second round pick? Even if we are not fans of these players we don't ship them out for nothing. 1 of them should fetch that plus a couple of mid round picks to boot. But I'm not the GM either.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
First, I wouldn't trade Douglas until the deadline, if I trade him at all. Whether people like him or not, 6'9 250lb guys who put up 27 goals and 53 points in a season, and are tough as nails, don't grow on trees. They ARE trees. You're going to want him this season.

Now, that being said...

You'd be looking at Vuk, a young/talented F, and a few high picks. I don't budge off that, either.

member 71782

I'd move them for picks, a couple of 2nds and 3rds.

If Owen Power won't report to Flint only then I would look to make a deal for him with those picks and a vet or two whose time has come. Can't go wrong with a 6'5" 209lb 02 D (late Bday to boot) who put up 11 - 14 - 25 as a 16 year old for Chicago in the USHL. If he wouldn't report, stockpile the picks for use at a later date. He would make one of Staois or Henault likely immediately expendable to for other potential deals for picks and/or players.

member 71782

First, I wouldn't trade Douglas until the deadline, if I trade him at all. Whether people like him or not, 6'9 250lb guys who put up 27 goals and 53 points in a season, and are tough as nails, don't grow on trees. They ARE trees. You're going to want him this season.

Now, that being said...

You'd be looking at Vuk, a young/talented F, and a few high picks. I don't budge off that, either.

Isn't Vuk looking to be one of their top 2 D? Moving him in a deal for Douglas/Angle would kind of defeat the purpose of acquiring Douglas/Angle would it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad