Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

I agree completely, Cuylle needs a centre that delivers him the puck. Igor as well. He has not had many chances, and Foudy may be the answer. Put the 3 together and see where it goes!

While the three of them could be good together I think it weakens the rest of the line up.

Once Cuylle and Afanasyev get going if they're kept on separate lines and you can have a playmaking with each it becomes a pick your poison for the opposition as to which one you focus on. You potentially end up with two elite scoring threats on two different lines each, hopefully with someone who can get them the puck.

That also creates two lines to get Maggio and McDonald going in roles they should be developed for, secondary scoring in the top six on lines that would both have top line scoring already. They're all somewhat young but once they got going that's a nice top six, a true 1A/1B.

On the PP, yes those three should definitely be together.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well the positive from last night - Coaches will have a more attentive group in practice this week. Hard to get kids attention if they just won 4 straight. And yes the coaches have their work cut out for them. PP, PK, Line juggling, goaltending, zone exit are just a few things that need to be addressed. It is early but bad habits are the easiest to form.

Not sure what to think on Piiroinen. I have more concerns on how the team plays in front of him if the team loses confidence in him. It just snowballs at that point.

Lastly I brought this up last year - conditioning is an issue with this team. Erie had the harder road trip and were short 5 or 6 key players and were by far the better team on the ice, won the races and puck battles all night. Kids now a days come into camp in shape so trainers should only need a couple of weeks to get them up to peak conditioning. Last year every road trip was given as an excuse why the players "ran out of gas". I don't buy that for a second. Kids coming out of minor midget have just finished up playing 2 or even 3 games in 1 day in a tournament that is usually out of town. Why is it when they get to the OHL 1 game a day is too much for them? And yes I've gone through this and I do know the travel is hard but it really seems to be more of an issue with some teams then others. Ok rant over.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Lets not think these goals that are being scored against Kari he has no chance on. I’m seeing the teams we are playing goalies making saves they shouldn’t be. He has played well and is better then last year but there is also a point where he NEEDS to find a way to make a few of those. His anticipation may be a little off or he isn’t fully aware of who is where.

I agree with this. Yes it's still early and we all knew that the D would quite possibly be a sore spot for them. So what's the solution??? Has to be better goaltending if you don't believe the D will be real good. Seems he doesn't read plays particularly well and when you're killing penalties sometimes your goalie has to be your best penalty killer.

Reactions: TheGremlin

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Well the positive from last night - Coaches will have a more attentive group in practice this week. Hard to get kids attention if they just won 4 straight. And yes the coaches have their work cut out for them. PP, PK, Line juggling, goaltending, zone exit are just a few things that need to be addressed. It is early but bad habits are the easiest to form.

Not sure what to think on Piiroinen. I have more concerns on how the team plays in front of him if the team loses confidence in him. It just snowballs at that point.

Lastly I brought this up last year - conditioning is an issue with this team. Erie had the harder road trip and were short 5 or 6 key players and were by far the better team on the ice, won the races and puck battles all night. Kids now a days come into camp in shape so trainers should only need a couple of weeks to get them up to peak conditioning. Last year every road trip was given as an excuse why the players "ran out of gas". I don't buy that for a second. Kids coming out of minor midget have just finished up playing 2 or even 3 games in 1 day in a tournament that is usually out of town. Why is it when they get to the OHL 1 game a day is too much for them? And yes I've gone through this and I do know the travel is hard but it really seems to be more of an issue with some teams then others. Ok rant over.

Outsider

Agree with the 1st part of your text up till the point where you spoke about teams conditioning.
I dont agree about that part,think you would agree,if 1 team spends almost 25% of the game on the PK, in the 3rd game in 3 days,when other team spends 10% is a huge difference, Erie had 6 PPs prior to the 8 minute mark of the 3rd period including 2-5 on 3 opps compared to 1 PP for Windsor in the same time period,no wonder Windsor was more fatigued,like I posted earlier Windsor scores on the 3
golden opps in the 2nd,its a different game.Their goaltending,their time on the PP,and Windsor's missed opportunities were the difference in this one not fatigue were the differences in this one.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Outsider

Agree with the 1st part of your text up till the point where you spoke about teams conditioning.
I dont agree about that part,think you would agree,if 1 team spends almost 25% of the game on the PK, in the 3rd game in 3 days,when other team spends 10% is a huge difference, Erie had 6 PPs prior to the 8 minute mark of the 3rd period including 2-5 on 3 opps compared to 1 PP for Windsor in the same time period,no wonder Windsor was more fatigued,like I posted earlier Windsor scores on the 3
golden opps in the 2nd,its a different game.Their goaltending,their time on the PP,and Windsor's missed opportunities were the difference in this one not fatigue were the differences in this one.

Erie was playing 3 n 3 also.
That is a excuse.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I think it's all in your head. When you get told about 3 in 3 etc.. It's easy to have a built in excuse. Did Erie come out harder? Absolutely. Did Windsor show a lot of resistance? Not really. Fact is Windsor players were already in their hotel beds before Erie arrived back home late/late Fri or early Saturday whatever way you want to look at it.

Reactions: windsor7

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Outsider

Not really seeing this as a one game issue- this was most of last year as well. Seems the Spits really struggle with the second and third games on road trips on every road trip, no matter where or who they play. Every team faces shorthanded times in a game - my concern is it looks like this is not being addressed by the staff- it should be a key point going forward if this team ever wants to win 1 or multiple playoff rounds.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Erie was playing 3 n 3 also.
That is a excuse.
Clearly you missed my point
Well aware both teams were playing their 3rd in 3,except when 1 team gets 6 penalties to another team that only gets 1 in the same time period,1st 47 minutes huge difference if one thinks fatigue was the issue.
I would say the same thing if things were reversed.
Like I said bury the golden chances things would have been different.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Not really seeing this as a one game issue- this was most of last year as well. Seems the Spits really struggle with the second and third games on road trips on every road trip, no matter where or who they play. Every team faces shorthanded times in a game - my concern is it looks like this is not being addressed by the staff- it should be a key point going forward if this team ever wants to win 1 or multiple playoff rounds.

Dont think they struggled in the game at Hamilton, Windsor was the better team,2nd game in 2 on the road against a team that was rested did not play night before or traveled.
As for Saturday Power play time was a huge factor, especially the difference at the 8 minute mark to the 3rd,the 5th goal by Erie,when Windsor made it 4 -3 in the early was huge,a goal that Piironen should have stopped.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I would get Cuylle away from Foudy, he's dragging Foudy down at this point. Seriously, on that 2 on 0 Foudy put the puck on a tee for Cuylle to rip it, and instead of ripping it Cuylle throws the slowest pass in the history of slow passes back to Foudy just so he can have the privilege of jamming it into the goalie's pad from an inch away. That was an embarrassing play to make for an alleged high end shooter. Drop Cuylle to a checking line where he'll need to move his feet and dig to create offense rather than giving him that plum spot on Foudy's wing where he can just coast around and let Foudy set him up to miss chances all night. I'd rather see Egor on that wing, he at least looked like he was showing signs of life on Saturday. Or maybe Damico over there would be better. Cuylle looked like sun dried poo.

Pirroinen should be starting next weekend in the backup role and should stay there until Medina shows he can't run with it as the starter. I don't think he was horrible but he wasn't any where near as good as he needs to be. I'd even look into moving him for an import forward that needs a fresh start or something, he gives me no confidence at all when he's in the net. Go with Medina and shop for a veteran backup/platoon mate for him and we're much better off.

It was 3 games in 4 playing in a difficult barn but we still were in the game all night. A timely save after we make it 3-2 and then showing a bit of discipline could have changed the outcome on this. Their goalie out played ours and we took some dumb penalties, that was the difference.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well aware both teams were playing their 3rd in 3,except when 1 team gets 6 penalties to another team that only gets 1 in the same time period,1st 47 minutes huge difference if one thinks fatigue was the issue.
But penalties come from fatigue. Most are nothing more than lazy clutch and grabs, tripping or players with bad hits because they are frustrated. 5 minutes into a game you can read the team psyche and you know the bad plays and penalties will follow. Too many penalties is just another way to show conditioning is an issue. Staff have to see this. Sure missed shots is a bad outcome but quite often that is a direct result of lost focus - more conditioning issues.

This team is highly talented - up to the staff to keep them at the peak of their game - year is young so this can be addressed/fixed.

Reactions: aresknights

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

How about stop taking penalties than if thats your excuse. Or r u blaming the refs already?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
How about stop taking penalties than if thats your excuse. Or r u blaming the refs already?

I already stated that had Windsor scored on their missed golden opportunities the score would have been different, toss in Erie!s goalie outplayed Piironen, one sided officiating didn't help either.
And if Windsor were benefactors of generous officiating and had won I would admit that helped that's all.
One loss not the end of the world for me,learn from it and move on.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Moving on to next game,the more I think of,these would be my forward lines for the game vs Ottawa
Afanaseyev-Foudy-Purboo
Douglas-Angle-Cuylle
D'amico-Zito-McDonald
Maggio-Playfair-Boka

All four lines regigged, hoping for better overall chemistry.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Moving on to next game,the more I think of,these would be my forward lines for the game vs Ottawa
Afanaseyev-Foudy-Purboo
Douglas-Angle-Cuylle
D'amico-Zito-McDonald
Maggio-Playfair-Boka

All four lines regigged, hoping for better overall chemistry.
Ok moving on to the next game - agree with your lines except I would switch D'Amico with Purboo. First line needs to be able to skate at the same speed. Purboo would work well with McDonald, 2 bulls around the net.

Reactions: Michi and OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Ok moving on to the next game - agree with your lines except I would switch D'Amico with Purboo. First line needs to be able to skate at the same speed. Purboo would work well with McDonald, 2 bulls around the net.

I wouldn't object, though in the past Foudy and Purboo have played well together,would also give Foudy 2 large linemates in Purboo and Afanaseyev.
Btw at camp Foudy and Afanaseyev showed real nice chemistry in workouts.Get what you are saying though.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I wouldn't object, though in the past Foudy and Purboo have played well together,would also give Foudy 2 large linemates in Purboo and Afanaseyev.
Btw at camp Foudy and Afanaseyev showed real nice chemistry in workouts.Get what you are saying though.
No matter what the lines are they have to try something different - even during their wins chemistry looked off. I have to give credit to TL so far this year, he is sticking to his lines for most of the games. I'm a big fan of line building during the week at practice. Sure sometimes you have to shuffle but consistency long term is more productive. Just needs to find a combo that works and stick to it.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I already stated that had Windsor scored on their missed golden opportunities the score would have been different, toss in Erie!s goalie outplayed Piironen, one sided officiating didn't help either.
And if Windsor were benefactors of generous officiating and had won I would admit that helped that's all.

Just say they lost. Nothing more.
No excuses.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just say they lost. Nothing more.
No excuses.

I can say that,if from now on you cant say it's bad coaching when they lose,and you dont mention it when they win.
I doubt you can do that moving forward,you cant mention bad coaching I cant mention officiating
But if you do agree,you wont have much to say.
It's like you saying everybody played bad even though McDonald, scored 2,rookie Zito had 2 assists, so did Henault, broad stroking a team is inaccurate.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Dont think they struggled in the game at Hamilton, Windsor was the better team,2nd game in 2 on the road against a team that was rested did not play night before or traveled.
As for Saturday Power play time was a huge factor, especially the difference at the 8 minute mark to the 3rd,the 5th goal by Erie,when Windsor made it 4 -3 in the early was huge,a goal that Piironen should have stopped.
I don’t buy that this is all due to penalties as only select guys kill them. But sometime a tired team takes unnecessary penalties

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Lets also not start with the whole one sided officiating excuse

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I don’t buy that this is all due to penalties as only select guys kill them. But sometime a tired team takes unnecessary penalties

Some of those select guys especially 2 or 3 from the D play on the PP too,toss in the fact alot of penalties will restrict playing time for the offensive guys up front not to play,
teams prefer a consistent standard applied to both teams not just 1.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Officiating wasn't the issue last night; discipline, PK, and not scoring on the 2-on-0's were. If you want to win a game, don't give up three PPGs and score at least ONCE on a 2-on-0. The shots were tied so there wasn't a lack of effort. Plus, we have to give Campbell credit; he played very well given the situation.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I can say that,if from now on you cant say it's bad coaching when they lose,and you dont mention it when they win.
I doubt you can do that moving forward,you cant mention bad coaching I cant mention officiating
But if you do agree,you wont have much to say.
It's like you saying everybody played bad even though McDonald, scored 2,rookie Zito had 2 assists, so did Henault, broad stroking a team is inaccurate.

I can start mentioning its bad coaching when they win too if u like. Lol
Coaching stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad