Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
IMHO the Spits lost because of a hot goalie. That’s two games back to back where they should have won. Not often you get beat two nights in a row by goalies having career nights. Sooner or later we’ll win a game like tonight’s...it evens out. We have a stretch of home games coming up against poorer teams. If we win 2-3 in a row the last few games will just be a bad memory.

Win a few, lose a few.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Did i say something that wasn't true?
The lighter schedule?
They agreed to the schedule?
None of this talk was being used 1st half of season?

When you have a lighter schedule, you get the rest. That doesn't affect the current status, however. When you have 7 games in 11 days is a chaotic week, esp when you add in the travel, and it takes a toll on the body, whether you like that or not. So, yes, having a couple of days to rest could be a very nice benefit going into next weekend. There's no "boo hoo" or "man up" (is that what all the cool kids are saying these days? I'm not hip to the lingo) about it; this is reality.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
When you have a lighter schedule, you get the rest. That doesn't affect the current status, however. When you have 7 games in 11 days is a chaotic week, esp when you add in the travel, and it takes a toll on the body, whether you like that or not. So, yes, having a couple of days to rest could be a very nice benefit going into next weekend. There's no "boo hoo" or "man up" (is that what all the cool kids are saying these days? I'm not hip to the lingo) about it; this is reality.

So when its convenient only?
That hasn't changed.
That is reality
Shrugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: OHLTG

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
IMHO the Spits lost because of a hot goalie. That’s two games back to back where they should have won. Not often you get beat two nights in a row by goalies having career nights. Sooner or later we’ll win a game like tonight’s...it evens out. We have a stretch of home games coming up against poorer teams. If we win 2-3 in a row the last few games will just be a bad memory.
A bad memory that really hurts playoff positioning Also seems like the offence has dried up a bit. Miss open nets. Shoot pucks into goalies chests.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
well after today Medina should get next start. It time to settle on a goalie already. I can’t wait to see this coaching staff gone. They can’t make positive adjustments. Some on here get all happy stating this team is better 5 on 5 in their opinion most nights. To bad there is more to the games

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Not surprised you chimed in,why didn't Guelph try to go for it like they did last year,Windsor did for 08/09 and 09/10.
Unlike Windsor they had the best goalie in the league this year.

Haven't you gone on n on previously about not bringing up the past lol. Now your looking at 10 years ago? OK ;)
If ya wanna go back 10 years I dont think even you can sugar coat the lack of team success.....

To answer your question as best as I can.......( which we know you never do but maybe you will for the below ? I have;))
Im just guessing BUT Storm management assessed their team, and felt they didn't have enough assets in the bank to buy big enough to be a serious threat and started selling off ( and did so early) Unlike Windsor.
1 year removed from a title and they caught up to Windsors current 3 year rebuild. Any thoughts on that HL? Its been a 10 year rebuild with 0 playoff success, wheels spinning, host year invite and great 1 week tourney. How many times in 10 years has Guelph won playoff rds? Made a memorial Cup as OHL winners? Ill take Guelph philosophy/success the last 10 years. No question. Maybe Windsor should look to see how they did it?
I like desicive/aggressive managements. (Even if it doesn't work out always)
Windsor was anything but this year. Just sat on their hands and hoped for the best instead of dictating a direction.
But I know, I know.......factors

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Haven't you gone on n on previously about not bringing up the past lol. Now your looking at 10 years ago? OK ;)
If ya wanna go back 10 years I dont think even you can sugar coat the lack of team success.....

To answer your question as best as I can.......( which we know you never do but maybe you will for the below ? I have;))
Im just guessing BUT Storm management assessed their team, and felt they didn't have enough assets in the bank to buy big enough to be a serious threat and started selling off ( and did so early) Unlike Windsor.
1 year removed from a title and they caught up to Windsors current 3 year rebuild. Any thoughts on that HL? Its been a 10 year rebuild with 0 playoff success, wheels spinning, host year invite and great 1 week tourney. How many times in 10 years has Guelph won playoff rds? Made a memorial Cup as OHL winners? Ill take Guelphs philosophy/success the last years. No question. Maybe Windsor should look to see how they did it?
I like desicive/aggressive managements. (Even if it doesnt work out always)
Windsor was anything but this year. Just sat on their hands and hoped for the best instead of dictating a direction.
But I know, I know.......factors
I think he thinks you can just get draft assets off a tree and trade to go for it. I’m sure if the Storm had the assets they would have tried going for it.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
A bad memory that really hurts playoff positioning Also seems like the offence has dried up a bit. Miss open nets. Shoot pucks into goalies chests.

They're 7th in goals per game now. It's pretty clear when they were potting a lot of goals they can play with teams(duh). When the games get tighter getting goals is getting tougher they aren't there.

Reactions: OHL 17

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Solid post agree with everything that you wrote,3 games in a row where the goalie for the opposition was given 1 of the 3 stars for the night,London and Brochu, Barrie with Silofs,and tonight in Oshawa.
Like I have said before,if the other team's tender is named a star,for the most part your team played a good game,London game was a toss up either team could have won,the last 2 as you mentioned Windsor deserved better ,too bad in Barrie they got poor goaltending while dominating ,,Medina played well tonight,last night too,deserves to get the next start.
Next 4 games they host Soo,Guelph,Kingston and Owen Sound,all winnable games,play like they did the last 3 for the most part and things should be fine.
Good week of practice could work wonders ,need to produce on the PP moving forward.

Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Solid post agree with everything that you wrote,3 games in a row where the goalie for the opposition was given 1 of the 3 stars for the night,London and Brochu, Barrie with Silofs,and tonight in Oshawa.
Like I have said before,if the other team's tender is named a star,for the most part your team played a good game,London game was a toss up either team could have won,the last 2 as you mentioned Windsor deserved better ,too bad in Barrie they got poor goaltending while dominating ,,Medina played well tonight,last night too,deserves to get the next start.
Next 4 games they host Soo,Guelph,Kingston and Owen Sound,all winnable games,play like they did the last 3 for the most part and things should be fine.
Good week of practice could work wonders ,need to produce on the PP moving forward.

Yes and Piiroinen was the difference against Ottawa. Gotta make your breaks and their PK has been awful this year. That's the problem these issues have been going on all year but when they were winning games it got glossed over. Lose the game 2-1 on 2 PP goals given up. Windsor or any team that matter doesn't deserve anything. Sports is about earning it and until they all start pulling in one direction you will see this.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Ottawa last week and the years DiPi played HL?. Dont remember you ever saying another team deserved better when a Spits goalie stole a game.
Somehow its always "team" when they win with good goaltending ( or a 3 star vote for a tender ) but when the shoe is on the other foot....... Its just unlucky, played good enough to win, were the better team, 5 on 5, deserved better...............

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Yes and Piiroinen was the difference against Ottawa. Gotta make your breaks and their PK has been awful this year. That's the problem these issues have been going on all year but when they were winning games it got glossed over. Lose the game 2-1 on 2 PP goals given up. Windsor or any team that matter doesn't deserve anything. Sports is about earning it and until they all start pulling in one direction you will see this.
They also give stars to goalies based on number of shots and not quality of shots. If you hit a guy 50 times in the chest he gets a star. To me Brochu was really the only goalie to beat us. Windsor just couldn’t bury their chance on the road. But what do i know. Some just think the team is rarely ever to blame and it something other team did as to why we lost.

Reactions: windsor7

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Funny goaltending "factors" never mentioned by some when the shoe is on the other foot, which is was against Ottawa last week and the years DiPi played.
Somehow its always "team" when they win with good goaltending ( or a 3 star vote for a tender ) but when the shoe is on the other foot....... Its just unlucky, played good enough to win, were the better team, 5 on 5, deserved better...............
Agreed. And i hate agreeing with knights fan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - well goaltending is not why they lost. They failed to take advantage of their opportunities and when you miss the net you don't score you don't win. They played hard and the effort level was there but with no finish there is no win.

Afanasyev - 5 on 3 he missed the net 3 times and then fumbled the puck in the Spits end and then ices the puck. He is not the only 1 that struggled during that 5 on 3 but for a player picked in the 2nd round you would hope for more. Yes he is a leading scorer on the Spits but looking at his numbers compared against the league he has not been as advertised. It is not always a guarantee but I would be shocked if he is not back next year. He is clearly not ready to play with the pros.

Spits have picked a real bad time to go into a funk/slump. Not sure the last time a team has dropped from 1st to quite likely 6th after the trade deadline but Spits just seem to find a way with these types of seasons.

Soo, Guelph, Kingston are not going to make for an "easy" weekend. I would think they are looking forward to playing a Spits team that is floundering right now. Spits have not won at home for over a month and suddenly they are in for an easy weekend? Their confidence has to be low and it won't take much to upset the apple cart so to speak.

I'm a Spits fan and I want them to win every game but as a fan it is very hard to have any confidence that this year will end any differently then any other year in the last decade. It is a team that is truly testing its fan base.

Hope they do something for Boka Thursday - nice to see him "survive" this long in the league. I've always been a fan of his. Not his fault how he is played/used.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Ottawa last week and the years DiPi played HL?. Dont remember you ever saying another team deserved better when a Spits goalie stole a game.

Agreed

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Game notes - well goaltending is not why they lost. They failed to take advantage of their opportunities and when you miss the net you don't score you don't win. They played hard and the effort level was there but with no finish there is no win.

Afanasyev - 5 on 3 he missed the net 3 times and then fumbled the puck in the Spits end and then ices the puck. He is not the only 1 that struggled during that 5 on 3 but for a player picked in the 2nd round you would hope for more. Yes he is a leading scorer on the Spits but looking at his numbers compared against the league he has not been as advertised. It is not always a guarantee but I would be shocked if he is not back next year. He is clearly not ready to play with the pros.

Spits have picked a real bad time to go into a funk/slump. Not sure the last time a team has dropped from 1st to quite likely 6th after the trade deadline but Spits just seem to find a way with these types of seasons.

Soo, Guelph, Kingston are not going to make for an "easy" weekend. I would think they are looking forward to playing a Spits team that is floundering right now. Spits have not won at home for over a month and suddenly they are in for an easy weekend? Their confidence has to be low and it won't take much to upset the apple cart so to speak.

I'm a Spits fan and I want them to win every game but as a fan it is very hard to have any confidence that this year will end any differently then any other year in the last decade. It is a team that is truly testing its fan base.

Hope they do something for Boka Thursday - nice to see him "survive" this long in the league. I've always been a fan of his. Not his fault how he is played/used.

I would agree with some of this to an extent. Spits had their big time shot to tie it on that 2 man advantage like you said. In regards to Egor I do believe he's their most talented guy probably. Like you said with Boka not his fault in how he's used. Egor is a top line guy but I don't really believe guys like Douglas are top line guys, Angle has improved but I don't believe he can carry this group either. Purboo has never really been a top 6 guy either unless he's on a roll. Foudy/Cuylle could be top 6 guys and should be but the production doesn't match the talent.

Spits to this point are having problems winning games that don't end up being some wild shootout. Guelph has seemed to have stabilized with Daws coming back and playing well. The Kingston game wasn't easy up there either.

Technically every game is a winnable game but after winning 3 then losing 4 it's right out there for all of us to see what this team is currently playing like.

Reactions: punch1943

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Played a decent game in the O. Winning goal a result of no coverage and frankly Medinas head was in position but he didn’t get the body over as quick. Dumb line combos with extra attacker on and frankly poor time management on the ice. The 5-3 was brutal, team is back to looking for the perfect Set-up/shot.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Played a decent game in the O. Winning goal a result of no coverage and frankly Medinas head was in position but he didn’t get the body over as quick. Dumb line combos with extra attacker on and frankly poor time management on the ice. The 5-3 was brutal, team is back to looking for the perfect Set-up/shot.
The game winning goal it seemed Medina was there. It just caught bottom of his glove and it seemed he didn’t have enough wrist strength, glove wasn’t tight enough or to flimsy cause it turned his glove almost 90 degrees. Either way i’m totally with you now on the coaching. He was lucky at beginning of year with all the comeback wins and now things are evening out.

Reactions: ohloutsider

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with another loss.
On the road. There goes that theory.
They played better
Lots of pressure.
Offense dried up though.
5 on 3 for 140 n not a shot? Bad coaching.
Medina played very well.
He should start in Thursday but this is trevor behind the bench so nobody knows.
5th n 6th very close now.
Windsor doesn't want to drop to 6th. If london gets 3rd we get to see a repeat of the last decade.
Need wins n lots. This week better be 6 points. Anything less is a failure at this time of year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The game winning goal it seemed Medina was there. It just caught bottom of his glove and it seemed he didn’t have enough wrist strength, glove wasn’t tight enough or to flimsy cause it turned his glove almost 90 degrees. Either way i’m totally with you now on the coaching. He was lucky at beginning of year with all the comeback wins and now things are evening out.

I liked how Medina played this week he still has flaws but he certainly distinguished himself over Piiroinen. I am not saying there is some unwavering faith he's the right choice but I haven't seen it from Piiroinen either. Yes Medina has that funky thing with his glove and sometimes it looks like he's trying to catch a butterfly.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I liked how Medina played this week he still has flaws but he certainly distinguished himself over Piiroinen. I am not saying there is some unwavering faith he's the right choice but I haven't seen it from Piiroinen either. Yes Medina has that funky thing with his glove and sometimes it looks like he's trying to catch a butterfly.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
He needs to stop playing midget hockey and he has to be hurting after he got injured. Not the same player. Reminds me too much of his brother. Hangs on to the puck way too long and quite often loses it before he attempts to dish it off. Both him and Cuylle have to be dropping in the draft. Both more likely to be 2nd round picks now but you never know what teams are thinking.

I saw what you mean

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Playoff race and strength of schedule down the stretch done by Geoffrey Brandow on twitter
Guelph 6th toughest
Windsor 7th toughest
Kitchener 11th toughest
Saginaw 5th easiest
Flint 10th toughest
London 8th easiest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad