Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
I liked how Medina played this week he still has flaws but he certainly distinguished himself over Piiroinen. I am not saying there is some unwavering faith he's the right choice but I haven't seen it from Piiroinen either. Yes Medina has that funky thing with his glove and sometimes it looks like he's trying to catch a butterfly.
The thing that bothers me about Medina (on the ice) is the number of times he gets hit on the mask. Either he can’t see the puck properly or he’s purposely using his head as a 2nd blocker. Can’’t say I’ve ever seen a Spit goalie hit as often on the mask as him...

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
The thing that bothers me about Medina (on the ice) is the number of times he gets hit on the mask. Either he can’t see the puck properly or he’s purposely using his head as a 2nd blocker. Can’’t say I’ve ever seen a Spit goalie hit as often on the mask as him...
I think Pavelka was the same way.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Doesn't help when nobody from Windsor is open. He can find guys with ease, but they have to be open and able to shoot, not just standing there watching him.
How do you get open when you don’t know what way he is going, or which way he is going to turn. When you a player like that you got to find the small seems. Great passers don’t need much room.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Do others telegraph their stickhandling every time? No. If you do, the defence figures it out and you're screwed. That's what's happening to Foudy now. If the forwards find a way to remove their defender, they get open, even a bit, and you create chances.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
How do you get open when you don’t know what way he is going, or which way he is going to turn. When you a player like that you got to find the small seems. Great passers don’t need much room.

No but for a guy just to stand in front of the net and not move at all. Foudy isn't going to pass him the puck that's obvious. At the 10 second mark of the video there are 3 guys within 10 feet of each other, play gets broken up at 12 seconds. Great passers don't need a lot of room but the puck also moves a lot faster when being passed as opposed to when you're skating with it.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
I liked how Medina played this week he still has flaws but he certainly distinguished himself over Piiroinen. I am not saying there is some unwavering faith he's the right choice but I haven't seen it from Piiroinen either. Yes Medina has that funky thing with his glove and sometimes it looks like he's trying to catch a butterfly.
You might not say that there is some unwavering faith in Piiroinen but perhaps there is. I was at the game in Barrie and after the third goal went in, you could see the change in the team.... almost like letting the air out of a balloon. I have been a Piiroinen supporter up until recently. Since the world juniors, he seems to have regressed or lost his confidence. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Spits move on from him and free up an import spot

member 71782

So a better effort last night but still the same result with a lot of the same issues, beyond the effort bringing about another loss.

Looking at their schedule post deadline, January 11th until yesterday's game this team is 8 - 10 - 1 - 0.

DateAwayGFHomeGFTime
Sat, Jan 11WSR3FLNT4Final OT
Sun, Jan 12WSR5KIT4Final OT
Sat, Jan 18ER3WSR4Final
Sun, Jan 19SAG3WSR5Final
Thu, Jan 23LDN6WSR3Final
Sun, Jan 26WSR3SAR2Final SO
Thu, Jan 30FLNT8WSR3Final
Fri, Jan 31WSR4LDN7Final
Sat, Feb 1WSR2OS6Final
Thu, Feb 6HAM3WSR1Final
Fri, Feb 7WSR5SAR4Final OT
Sat, Feb 8SAR7WSR4Final
Thu, Feb 13WSR7PBO3Final
Fri, Feb 14WSR6KGN5Final
Sun, Feb 16WSR3OTT2Final SO
Tue, Feb 18SAR6WSR4Final
Thu, Feb 20LDN4WSR2Final
Sat, Feb 22WSR3BAR5Final
Sun, Feb 23WSR1OSH2Final
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

To make matters worse they have 4 wins in regulation and 4 wins in OT/SOs. Even the games they've won they've struggled to get it done without allowing their opponent to walk away with a point.

In their last 10 they are 4 - 6 - 0 - 0 with one of those wins coming in OT and one in a SO.

The rest of the season looks like it's going to be tough for them with the Soo x2, once at home and once on the road and Kingston at home being the only games they can consider as should win games. Everyone else, while beatable are all playing for playoff positioning including Owen Sound x2, once at home and once on the road and Guelph x3, twice at home and once on the road in a fight for Windsor for the 5th/6th/7th spots. While Erie sits 10 points back in 8th and Windsor has closed out the season series if Windsor continues to lose more than they win and Erie can win more than they lose then they can't be completely counted out. They may not be likely to catch Windsor but who knows at the moment.

As long as Windsor can win their 2 games remaining against the Soo and get a win at home against Kingston that would rule out missing the playoffs since the Soo sits 15 points back with 10 games to play. Any combination of Windsor getting 5 points and the Soo giving up 5 points will ensure Windsor makes the playoffs.

Here's the remainder of the season. It's going to be a tough ride for them and only they can change their fortunes at the moment.

DateAwayGFHomeGF
Thu, Feb 27SOO0WSR0
Sat, Feb 29GUE0WSR0
Sun, Mar 1KGN0WSR0
Thu, Mar 5OS0WSR0
Sat, Mar 7WSR0FLNT0
Sun, Mar 8KIT0WSR0
Thu, Mar 12SAG0WSR0
Fri, Mar 13WSR0GUE0
Sat, Mar 14WSR0OS0
Thu, Mar 19GUE0WSR0
Sat, Mar 21WSR0SAG0
Sun, Mar 22WSR0SOO0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Windsor has to string together some wins here to ensure themselves of a solid 5th place ranking and they can't afford to give up any OT/SO points in any wins they get since much of their schedule will have a direct impact on how they finish in the conference and the opponent they will face.

Time for this team to step up.

Reactions: ohloutsider

member 71782

Doesn't help when nobody from Windsor is open. He can find guys with ease, but they have to be open and able to shoot, not just standing there watching him.

Do others telegraph their stickhandling every time? No. If you do, the defence figures it out and you're screwed. That's what's happening to Foudy now. If the forwards find a way to remove their defender, they get open, even a bit, and you create chances.

One of the problems when Foudy is skating around with the puck is he doesn't even know if someone is open. He has a defender between him and the goal and half the time he has his back to the goal where any passing targets should be located. A right hand shot who goes from the right side to left is vulnerable to a simple poke check when he's along the blueline that he won't even see coming. He also spends a lot of time stopping then turning to go back the other way and while he has the speed to get a stride going one direction when he stops to go back the other way the defender has the step on him since he is coming right back towards them and the only way he can attempt to get away is to continue going further towards the blueline. Defenders simply have to wait him out more often than not. They don't have to make a huge play to stop him, just let him run himself out of room.

As for anyone who would be a target for any pass he may get through they have to find a way to beat their coverage and not try to take out the defender who may be covering them. If they try to take the defender out or go around them too soon they've taken themselves out of a position for a pass. If they can keep moving along with Foudy keeping themselves between the defender covering them and Foudy they have an opportunity to beat the coverage. If they are looking to beat them first it's another defender in a position to break up the play. They have to find a way to open themselves up without allowing for a defender to simply better position themselves between them and Foudy. Right now they either stand around allowing the defender to determine positioning or they are backing up towards the boards away from Foudy allowing traffic between them and him taking away passing opportunities.

The third issue with Foudy skating around with the puck is he spends as much time avoiding his own D as he does avoiding the opponents covering him. This leave him taking himself and the D out of position allowing for anyone who manages to knock the puck of his stick to clear the zone or create rushes back the other way with Foudy and the Windsor D having to catch up.

Like Angle and Henault he spends too much time putting on a show instead of trying to simplify what he's doing. He's predictable and the opposition knows he will do the work for them much of the time. He has the skill but not the sense to know when to use it and when to keep it simple. Hopefully that comes as his game matures.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Noticed in those 19 games 11 of those games they scored 3 goals or less. It was great when there were games getting 7-8 goals etc.. You have to find other ways to win games though and unfortunately that comes with coaches and players making adjustments. This team isn't talented enough to consistently impose their will on their opponent.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Noticed in those 19 games 11 of those games they scored 3 goals or less. It was great when there were games getting 7-8 goals etc.. You have to find other ways to win games though and unfortunately that comes with coaches and players making adjustments. This team isn't talented enough to consistently impose their will on their opponent.
Is it a case that the team isn't talented enough or is it that the coaches aren't doing a good enough job at reigning them in and not allowing for the wild skates with the puck? I think that Foudy would be less inclined to go for a useless skate if the coaching staff were more direct

Reactions: OHL 17

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
No but for a guy just to stand in front of the net and not move at all. Foudy isn't going to pass him the puck that's obvious. At the 10 second mark of the video there are 3 guys within 10 feet of each other, play gets broken up at 12 seconds. Great passers don't need a lot of room but the puck also moves a lot faster when being passed as opposed to when you're skating with it.
Nothing wrong with having a guy just standing in front of net. Shoot the puck and get rebound or tip it. Not that hard. When guys go one way to get open and he turns and goes another direction then they have to adjust. He refuses to make a move towards the net where it will draw defenders off other players. He way to predictable

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If the team wasn't talented enough, they wouldn't have lost nine regulation games by Christmas. The talent is there. The systems were there. They found ways to win. What's changed since the deadline? That's the question. Part of it is mental; they've grown used to "oh great, here we go again."

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If the team wasn't talented enough, they wouldn't have lost nine regulation games by Christmas. The talent is there. The systems were there. They found ways to win. What's changed since the deadline? That's the question. Part of it is mental; they've grown used to "oh great, here we go again."

Other teams made moves. Other teams like Saginaw who made a big jump last year in January knows what it takes to turn it on come that time. London knows it. Kitchener does. Flint finally has gotten healthy and acquired a couple guys. Nothing with the team has really changed it literally is the same roster. This group just can't find that next gear. It happens.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Other teams made moves. Other teams like Saginaw who made a big jump last year in January knows what it takes to turn it on come that time. London knows it. Kitchener does. Flint finally has gotten healthy and acquired a couple guys. Nothing with the team has really changed it literally is the same roster. This group just can't find that next gear. It happens.

Other teams making moves doesn't affect how Windsor plays game-to-game, though. The Spitfires were among the best in the league up until Christmas. Now they're their own worst enemy at times, doing things they'd never have considered in the first half. I don't think it's not being able to find that next gear; you have that kind of success early, you know what it takes. I think this is becoming a bit of a mental game, unfortunately, and only they can snap themselves out.

On a completely unrelated note - Sportsnet segment on Windsor and NHL coaches -

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

#excuses.
Same thing past years around this time.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Your right to some extent TG. But mental is a huge part of the game. Don’t you think the players understand when ownership is running on the cheap?? No additions when other teams add can say we’re confident in what we have, or it can say were to cheap to add talent!! You also have a coach who falls back into old habits the second things go sideways. I think the talent is there, it’s the underlying issues that are getting to this group!! I’ve said this for years and been ridiculed for it, these are kids and mental toughness just isn’t there yet for most of them.

member 71782

Is it a case that the team isn't talented enough or is it that the coaches aren't doing a good enough job at reigning them in and not allowing for the wild skates with the puck? I think that Foudy would be less inclined to go for a useless skate if the coaching staff were more direct

It's both.

The team has talent but it's middle six talent or middle pairing talent for the most part. Good, solid depth contributors that every team needs but lacking a true top line/top pairing that can be relied on to consistently contribute.

As someone said much earlier in the season and I've repeated often, this team has three second lines. What I've said all year, they were five players away from being a contender, a better and more consistent goaltender, a number one D and another D, two top line forwards that can bring consistent offence that would make others around them better. The cost was prohibitive which is why I said to sell some pieces and still finish the same as it appears they will.

In terms of coaching's contributions to this there's a number of issues.

First they went from too rigid to letting the team be too free flowing, they don't know how to find that balance. They needed systems that provided options and players need to understand when they can be creative. Certain systems are still too rigid such as the drop pass breakout on the PP. You can see this whenever opponents are able to prevent the breakout instead of continuing to push the puck up ice they will try to regroup three or four times to get everyone back in place before the puck carrier starts to move back up ice. Too rigid, no options and no creativity.

On the other hand when Foudy and/or Angle start holding the puck too long in the offensive zone there appears to be no plan what to do. Just let them hang on and hope something opens up so a set play can fall into place which is why I think too often players are standing around waiting. A mix of letting one player be creative while others are asked to follow a system with no idea of how the too come together.

The other issue is with coaching. The first half of the season they played to win, the second they play to not lose. That shows no faith in the players and what got them there. Certainly as everyone around you got better they need to be aware of that but if the belief is supposed to be they believed in this team then you have to show it in how plan out your game.

The last problem that's not on the coaches or players is everything went right for them before the break and up until the deadline. Every team in the West went on multiple or very long losing streaks before the deadline except Windsor and Guelph. Combine that with no major time lost by key players and you can't ask for much better circumstances. When everybody else that had better high end talent adds, team is asked to play not to lose instead of playing not to win and you start to get normal issues come into play such as injuries, effects of the season wearing players down etc and the team losing confidence in themselves when they struggle you get to where we're at.

A good but not top team that exceeded expectations when everything went as right as it could that fell back to earth when the season played out in a more expected way.

Reactions: TheGremlin

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Great watch. I’ve believed for some time this city produces coaches because of the work ethic in the city!! if you include coaches at other levels there’s significantly more!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad