Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
The fifth goal has taken all the Spitfires' momentum. This feels very "let's just get this over with."
Actually, the Spits appeared to just be going through the motions after the third goal. It was almost as if the team no longer has confidence in Piiroinen

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Because I'm posting this he'll go off for 5 points tomorrow, but what do you think the issue with Foudy is? Most lists I see have him as a 2nd rounder in the upcoming NHL draft but has just 2 points in his last 14 games and both are powerplay assists. No goals, no 5-on-5 points in 14 straight games

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Because I'm posting this he'll go off for 5 points tomorrow, but what do you think the issue with Foudy is? Most lists I see have him as a 2nd rounder in the upcoming NHL draft but has just 2 points in his last 14 games and both are powerplay assists. No goals, no 5-on-5 points in 14 straight games

A combination of things...

1. His stickhandling act is getting scouted much easier by other teams. Last season, he could skate around the zone a few times before dishing it off. Now, teams just let him do it and everyone else is covered.

2. When he DOES have someone on him, it's often a double team and he loses the puck.

3. Since his injury in OS a few weeks back, his overall approach seems different, like he's not as engaged along the boards.

Last season, he and Will Cuylle had really good chemistry. They could find each other without issue; Foudy dished it off, Cuylle finished. Now, that's virtually gone, though they don't play as often together. Part of me kind of wishes they went back to that, then throw someone like Afanasyev on the wing (or even Angle) and give Foudy two guys to dish off to.

That said, there are many people noticing Foudy's play and it's starting to get frustrating.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
He needs to stop playing midget hockey and he has to be hurting after he got injured. Not the same player. Reminds me too much of his brother. Hangs on to the puck way too long and quite often loses it before he attempts to dish it off. Both him and Cuylle have to be dropping in the draft. Both more likely to be 2nd round picks now but you never know what teams are thinking.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Game notes - Team played hard last night but they are trying to do too much on their own, many a puck lost trying to skate through 3 or 4 defenders. Seems like they know they have to score 6 or 7 goals to win so they play panic hockey most of the time. If you don't think goaltending is an issue in Windsor you did not watch the game last night. 4 goals on 10 shots is a 600 save percentage. The 4th goal I have no idea what he was doing there.

The defense was ok and really Spits played a lot of the game on the offensive side of the puck so team D was not challenged that much.

Moving forward with the right coach the offense of this team will be strong next year. That will not require much but a few tweaks. Team D will need some help if they lose Corcoran and Goaltending has to be addressed.

Johnston - he is getting better every game - I thought he was our best player last night. He is very smart with puck pursuit and that is not a skill that you can teach. He could show Egor a thing or 2. Just hope we have a coach next year that can develop his talent.

On to Oshawa - no idea if we even have a chance but have to think Medina gets the start.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
A combination of things...

1. His stickhandling act is getting scouted much easier by other teams. Last season, he could skate around the zone a few times before dishing it off. Now, teams just let him do it and everyone else is covered.

2. When he DOES have someone on him, it's often a double team and he loses the puck.

3. Since his injury in OS a few weeks back, his overall approach seems different, like he's not as engaged along the boards.

Last season, he and Will Cuylle had really good chemistry. They could find each other without issue; Foudy dished it off, Cuylle finished. Now, that's virtually gone, though they don't play as often together. Part of me kind of wishes they went back to that, then throw someone like Afanasyev on the wing (or even Angle) and give Foudy two guys to dish off to.

That said, there are many people noticing Foudy's play and it's starting to get frustrating.

He been on 3rd or 4th line a lot too.
Coaching!

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Game notes - Team played hard last night but they are trying to do too much on their own, many a puck lost trying to skate through 3 or 4 defenders. Seems like they know they have to score 6 or 7 goals to win so they play panic hockey most of the time. If you don't think goaltending is an issue in Windsor you did not watch the game last night. 4 goals on 10 shots is a 600 save percentage. The 4th goal I have no idea what he was doing there.

The defense was ok and really Spits played a lot of the game on the offensive side of the puck so team D was not challenged that much.

Moving forward with the right coach the offense of this team will be strong next year. That will not require much but a few tweaks. Team D will need some help if they lose Corcoran and Goaltending has to be addressed.

Johnston - he is getting better every game - I thought he was our best player last night. He is very smart with puck pursuit and that is not a skill that you can teach. He could show Egor a thing or 2. Just hope we have a coach next year that can develop his talent.

On to Oshawa - no idea if we even have a chance but have to think Medina gets the start.

Medina should get start.
All new coaching staf much needed. Replace everyone.

Reactions: OHL 17

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
He been on 3rd or 4th line a lot too.
Coaching!

that's no excuse, third and fourth lines can still put up points, he should be having more favorable matchups.
I would agree regarding the scouting report on him, hes pretty one dimensional, hangs onto the puck way to long and when teams pick up on that and eliminate it from his game he really isnt left with much. the 2nd rd mocks are not a real surprise.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So scoreboard watching a bit here - Guelph is 4 points behind the Spits. Guelph plays the Frozen puppies today so they should win. Spits play in Oshawa. Spits could win but it is a 50/50 game. If Guelph wins Spits lose it will be 2 points. Spits/Guelph play 2 more times with the first game Saturday in Windsor. This game will have a lot on the line for sure. Spits could be 6 points up or 2 down in 6th? If you would have told me in December that the Spits would be fighting the end of February to stay out of 6th I would have laughed at you but here we are.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with another loss. This time on the road.
Windsor came out playing really well first 10 min. Then they turned a switch n sat back for rest of 1st n 2nd period for sure. Trevor???
All teams have to do is hold off for first 10 min n just play their game after that. Bad coaching.
Defence terrible again.
Piironen didn't make the key saves again. Pulled again. Starting to be a repeat. Not what Windsor needs.
Medina played well in relief
A few forwards played decent. But toooo many passengers on this team

Reactions: Cherrydon

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Carolina showed the Leafs last night what tenacious team defense and forchecking. It doesn't matter who's in net for them. Even if it's the Zamboni driver they win. Windsor needs to follow that example of what can be achieved when you play as a committee for the team's sake. Not their own selfish tendencies. That's how the Spits were successful early in the season.
Foudy took another big hit again last night. He's going to get Kronwalled one of these days and won't be getting up without an injury. Foudy played a little better last night, set up Playfair with a couple of nice scoring chances. Cuylee is the invisible man. Hardly notice he's out there for a while now. TL's playing him right wing lately and low and behold, he's in the offensive zone half boards on the wrong side at times. I could easily see Cuylee and Foudy sliding down to middle rounds based on their play and performance this year coupled with their minus statuses.
I hope Boca isn't injured as posted on here. If true, TL won't need to make healthy scratch choices. We're only a injury or 2 more away from a roster crisis.. Hmmm same thing late last season. We've been damm lucky so far this season regarding injuries. Remember how complacent some players got knowing they couldn't be scratched because of a lack of bodies. Maybe that preset roster prior to going into training camp this year will rear it's ugly head again. Late in the year to find m/need bodies.

Reactions: windsor7

Shortstop

Nov 14, 2018
Sudbury for sure.
Both of our goalies have worse GAA and save% than Purboo in Sudbury. We have THE worst goaltending in the league
So many nights we outplay and outshoot the opponent and get losses. Easy to blame the defence but when your goalies make less saves than any team in the league...........

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Both of our goalies have worse GAA and save% than Purboo in Sudbury. We have THE worst goaltending in the league
So many nights we outplay and outshoot the opponent and get losses. Easy to blame the defence but when your goalies make less saves than any team in the league...........
Ohl site has Medina at 16 and Piiroinen at 18. Not sure where you are getting those numbers from but ya as a tandem they are not good.

member 71782

This is spiraling out of control and no one knows how to stop it.

Did they play better last night? At times in the early going but once Barrie pushed back they couldn't handle it. Sure they spent more time in the offensive zone but they weren't able to accomplish much.

There's many problems with this team and lots of blame to go around but IMO I think it all starts at the top.

Ownership has got to go or completely change their philosophy. If they have no interest in investing in this team they have no business owning this team. They either don't understand or don't care that this not a business like anything else they've been involved in. If their only concern is trying to make a buck while they have the team they are doing everything t opposite of what they should be doing to make that buck. You need to be willing to invest to make money and they aren't willing to invest and seem to be confused as to why they're not seeing the return they think they should. They are doing more harm than good.

Management is the second problem. Now I can see if ownership has been interfering or preventing Bowler from making the decisions he should be making but if they're not interfering then Bowler has to be held accountable for how he's handled this year. From letting some of the scouting staff go and as far as I know never replacing them to sitting on his hands and not making moves one way or the other, being indecisive throughout the year and insisting on standing by a roster that they "liked' knowing it's a roster that needed an overhaul from day one he's done basically nothing except acquire Rupoli. Staois was an expected move as well as Frasca so it's not like he pulled something out of a hat when no one expected it. Keeping the coaching staff on, if it's his call has been the biggest issue. They should not have returned, they should not be here now but they still have a year to go.

Coaching is third on my list. It may be the most noticeable issue when it comes to the on ice product but those above them control their fate and with a less than stellar track record they have their jobs likely because those above them won't invest or make the decision to move on from them. If they are here they have to find a way to do things differently because their track record shows they can't get it done the way they have tried in the past. I know there's some that have said Rychel was the problem last year, well he's not here this year and things still seem to be going the same way. Last year I said Rychel needed to step in and do something and that was when he was said to be interfering. What's the excuse going to be this year? Last year they were a middle/lower seed team that finished eighth while this year they were a first place team at the deadline that could mathematically still finish out of the playoffs, not likely but fifth at the moment is far from locked up and sixth or seventh is looking like a real possibility. That would make this year look worse than last year. I asked a while ago, has coaching lost the room? If so is Bowler going to step in and meet with the players or are things going to be allowed to continue as is? They have a year left on their contracts and unless ownership/management changes they will likely return. If that happens I can see a major roster turnover with players forcing the issue which will set things back a few more years as Windsor first of all tries to rebuild it's reputation with top tier players just to get them to come.

Players. Many seem frustrated, some seem to have checked out with very little effort in their games unless things come to them. This does not apply to all but many. I see this team having to reset everything next year and I see more than the OAs and a couple of the 2000s having to be replaced. Unless there is significant change in how this team does things starting at the top right through to the coaching I can see a number of players who were expected to be the core for the next few years wanting out. I don't know if that's the case but the way things have gone it wouldn't be a surprise to at least see a couple of the younger players wanting out. Many can't be happy with how they've been used and most can't be happy with the direction things seem to be going. I can see Windsor having to replace potentially as many as ten players next year and they won't likely be replacing them with better talent than they would be losing. Based on some of the rumours that have been floated through the various threads the last couple of seasons Windsor appears to be struggling to attract top talent in the draft at times and if that happens things will only get worse. Right now they can't get their own top end flier picks to report. Yes it's a gamble but when they can no longer get one or two every couple of seasons it's becoming a bigger issue since other teams seem to have stepped up their games when it comes to attracting at least some when in the past they weren't able to.

There's a major culture/philosophy change that needs to happen. All those teams that struggled regularly that Windsor fans were glad they didn't have to watch Windsor go through that well Windsor has become those teams. They're not on their way there, they've already arrived. When those in control aren't worried about anything more than being mediocre then you get a mediocre product on the ice and if it continues long terms, as it has in Windsor you will struggle to get top tier talent to report as Windsor has.

Plain and simple ownership through to coaching all has to go at this point. The last few years I've been extremely critical of how Rychel was doing things and still am on some things but it suggested last year that Rychel didn't the autonomy to do things so if that's the case the downward spiral goes back to one common denominator, those who are making decisions behind the scenes and they're all still here with all the control. Time for them to go so let's hope the rumours of a potential sale come to be because this group has been involved in a lesser capacity for a number of years and beyond 2017 there's been no success to talk about unless a fifth place finish in 2016 is supposed to be something special.

EnjoytheO

Keeping up
Aug 11, 2017
GTA
Ohl site has Medina at 16 and Piiroinen at 18. Not sure where you are getting those numbers from but ya as a tandem they are not good.
Despite the rankings, IMO Piiroinen is gone next year, so just play out Medina to give him experience. Kari should have been moved at the deadline for some assets.

Reactions: windsor7

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
This is spiraling out of control and no one knows how to stop it.

Did they play better last night? At times in the early going but once Barrie pushed back they couldn't handle it. Sure they spent more time in the offensive zone but they weren't able to accomplish much.

There's many problems with this team and lots of blame to go around but IMO I think it all starts at the top.

Ownership has got to go or completely change their philosophy. If they have no interest in investing in this team they have no business owning this team. They either don't understand or don't care that this not a business like anything else they've been involved in. If their only concern is trying to make a buck while they have the team they are doing everything t opposite of what they should be doing to make that buck. You need to be willing to invest to make money and they aren't willing to invest and seem to be confused as to why they're not seeing the return they think they should. They are doing more harm than good.

Management is the second problem. Now I can see if ownership has been interfering or preventing Bowler from making the decisions he should be making but if they're not interfering then Bowler has to be held accountable for how he's handled this year. From letting some of the scouting staff go and as far as I know never replacing them to sitting on his hands and not making moves one way or the other, being indecisive throughout the year and insisting on standing by a roster that they "liked' knowing it's a roster that needed an overhaul from day one he's done basically nothing except acquire Rupoli. Staois was an expected move as well as Frasca so it's not like he pulled something out of a hat when no one expected it. Keeping the coaching staff on, if it's his call has been the biggest issue. They should not have returned, they should not be here now but they still have a year to go.

Coaching is third on my list. It may be the most noticeable issue when it comes to the on ice product but those above them control their fate and with a less than stellar track record they have their jobs likely because those above them won't invest or make the decision to move on from them. If they are here they have to find a way to do things differently because their track record shows they can't get it done the way they have tried in the past. I know there's some that have said Rychel was the problem last year, well he's not here this year and things still seem to be going the same way. Last year I said Rychel needed to step in and do something and that was when he was said to be interfering. What's the excuse going to be this year? Last year they were a middle/lower seed team that finished eighth while this year they were a first place team at the deadline that could mathematically still finish out of the playoffs, not likely but fifth at the moment is far from locked up and sixth or seventh is looking like a real possibility. That would make this year look worse than last year. I asked a while ago, has coaching lost the room? If so is Bowler going to step in and meet with the players or are things going to be allowed to continue as is? They have a year left on their contracts and unless ownership/management changes they will likely return. If that happens I can see a major roster turnover with players forcing the issue which will set things back a few more years as Windsor first of all tries to rebuild it's reputation with top tier players just to get them to come.

Players. Many seem frustrated, some seem to have checked out with very little effort in their games unless things come to them. This does not apply to all but many. I see this team having to reset everything next year and I see more than the OAs and a couple of the 2000s having to be replaced. Unless there is significant change in how this team does things starting at the top right through to the coaching I can see a number of players who were expected to be the core for the next few years wanting out. I don't know if that's the case but the way things have gone it wouldn't be a surprise to at least see a couple of the younger players wanting out. Many can't be happy with how they've been used and most can't be happy with the direction things seem to be going. I can see Windsor having to replace potentially as many as ten players next year and they won't likely be replacing them with better talent than they would be losing. Based on some of the rumours that have been floated through the various threads the last couple of seasons Windsor appears to be struggling to attract top talent in the draft at times and if that happens things will only get worse. Right now they can't get their own top end flier picks to report. Yes it's a gamble but when they can no longer get one or two every couple of seasons it's becoming a bigger issue since other teams seem to have stepped up their games when it comes to attracting at least some when in the past they weren't able to.

There's a major culture/philosophy change that needs to happen. All those teams that struggled regularly that Windsor fans were glad they didn't have to watch Windsor go through that well Windsor has become those teams. They're not on their way there, they've already arrived. When those in control aren't worried about anything more than being mediocre then you get a mediocre product on the ice and if it continues long terms, as it has in Windsor you will struggle to get top tier talent to report as Windsor has.

Plain and simple ownership through to coaching all has to go at this point. The last few years I've been extremely critical of how Rychel was doing things and still am on some things but it suggested last year that Rychel didn't the autonomy to do things so if that's the case the downward spiral goes back to one common denominator, those who are making decisions behind the scenes and they're all still here with all the control. Time for them to go so let's hope the rumours of a potential sale come to be because this group has been involved in a lesser capacity for a number of years and beyond 2017 there's been no success to talk about unless a fifth place finish in 2016 is supposed to be something special.

Well thought out.
Totally agree

Shortstop

Nov 14, 2018
Save % not GAA. It actually shows D isn’t that bad when goalies have a better GAA compared to save % ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad