Windsor Spitfires 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Hahaha, man, that was almost too easy! Okay, let's play... if you take away his bad games, and you take away his good games, are we left with... training camp, which was really good. He was, arguably, the best goaltender besides DiPietro. So, the confidence in him to do well should be there, right?

It was 2009-10, what did you expect? :laugh:

That's fine he performed well in exhibition it doesn't necessarily tell us much. So the confidence in him to do well didn't show during the year though. I wouldn't draw much from exhibition with teams playing a lot of prospects and their lineup isn't exactly indicative of the team you will see. Good for Baier performing well but his one game against Sarnia they didn't have Salinitri/Rymsha/McGregor/Ruzicka/Kyrou/Josling/Rees/Schlicting. He performed well and that's the expectation when you're in the game but you can't draw anything from that. Joseph Mizzi was tied for 2nd in Spits exhibition scoring in other words it doesn't tell me much.

The Spits still had confidence in him to have him play 40 games. The Spits even benched Baier for a short time in favor of Patton.

I want Baier to do well but there's a huge jump from what we saw last year to moving DiPietro and letting Baier share the load.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Regarding Passingham,I agree he played well on a Mem Cup winning team,nice free agent signing by the way,though you must have forgot to mention that the following year is average went up a 1/2 goal against, before being dealt to Sarnia where in 24 games with a rebuilding Sarnia he averaged 4.76.Talk about cherry picking numbers and as you say you are what your numbers,looks like he got worse after leaving here, or could it be it matters what team you are playing for.
That being said I do think Baier can do what Passingham did while here given the opportunity.
Still think it will be Baier and the Finn when the dust is settled.

I'm not cherry picking numbers with Passingham those were his numbers for the whole year with very little CHL experience. In other words the same track record Baier had coming to the CHL.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not cherry picking numbers with Passingham those were his numbers for the whole year with very little CHL experience. In other words the same track record Baier had coming to the CHL.

He also had one of the best Spits' teams in history in front of him. I'm not taking away from Passingham (great kid), but if you're comparing Passingham that season to Baier this season... no.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I hate to be the peanut in the turd....but I don't have much faith with Baier. I can see some possible improvement in him this season, but he is very day & night. Consistancy is key!! I would love to be proven wrong though!

Reactions: TheGremlin

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I hate to be the peanut in the turd....but I don't have much faith with Baier. I can see some possible improvement in him this season, but he is very day & night. Consistancy is key!! I would love to be proven wrong though!

I agree he didn't do anything in his limited showing that instills much faith. His limited ice time couldn't have helped with consistency & had to be tough on him individually. But it's a new year, he knows what his surroundings are coming in, as HL11 updated us, he's putting in the work over the summer & he should be confident with a chip on his shoulder. Hope the best for him. They'll be competition for the position.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I would like it if he could be a contributor. That's fine he's taking care of himself in the offseason but that's just fodder for when you hear x player showing up to camp "in the best shape of his life." So he was in poor shape last year, why? Was he eating nachos, wings and drinking pop and beer last summer? He will have his shot come September but I can see the Spits having a short leash with him if he's still not playing at a high level.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That's fine he's taking care of himself in the offseason but that's just fodder for when you hear x player showing up to camp "in the best shape of his life."

I'm curious (honestly) - what would need to be said about a player's offseason in order for you to say "I'm glad he's working hard."? If he doesn't work hard, people would jump on him (and rightfully so). If he does work hard, it's "fodder." Had Baier come into camp in poor shape, you know this place would be all over him. At least give the kid credit for working his tail off before one last attempt to be a Spitfire.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
It's not uncommon (more the norm) for most kids to not fully understand the level of commitment and work it takes year round to play at this level or have a chance to advance their career further in that first season.
It's an eye opener & in some cases they then have a new world of resources opened up to them. The kids who figure it out & put in the work almost always show vast improvement that second season.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Several years ago, I had a chance to get involved in some of the training the local players go through. Needless to say, it was an eye-opener and rather impressive.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I'm curious (honestly) - what would need to be said about a player's offseason in order for you to say "I'm glad he's working hard."? If he doesn't work hard, people would jump on him (and rightfully so). If he does work hard, it's "fodder." Had Baier come into camp in poor shape, you know this place would be all over him. At least give the kid credit for working his tail off before one last attempt to be a Spitfire.

Baier is working his butt off because that's what he is supposed to be doing right now. Every player in the league has a closing interview at the end of the season, to talk about personal goals, and what that player needs to work on, on-ice, off-ice. Baier is a chatter box jokester, and the guys on the team love him, but I do know he has been talked to in the past about his conditioning. Baier has also been talked to about his level of commitment, getting his focus, confidence up. I think it is great he is doing the required steps needed in the off season, but it comes down to the guy that show's up at camp in the end. The ball is in his court, so to speak. Every player that is preparing for the upcoming season is working their tail's off (or at least should be) that's the name of the game, credit will be given to those that preform at main camp.

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Working hard in the offseason isn't cause for praise and a pat on the back. That's what's expected of a player that wants to play the game at this level. Well by most accounts he didn't come into camp last year in shape so this people would jump on him and be all over him. It's like this if you're a parent of a teenager and you ask him to ma
giphy.gif
ke his bed and does it. Do you applaud and praise him for doing what he's asked? No it's to be expected. If you're not grinding away the other guy is.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If a kid makes his bed like he's asked to, do you shrug and say "meh, it's fodder" and walk away? Nah. You say "cool, I appreciate it. Onto the next..."

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Most players work their tails off in summer to prepare. We aren’t talking about them. I think it has less to do with conditioning and more with his awkwardness style in goal. If they keep Dipi past training camp i hope it is the Finn as backup and once Dipi is gone then the Finn and Medina start to battle for the job. Nothing wrong with having A 16yr old backing up and getting in games.

Reactions: aresknights

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I would like it if he could be a contributor. That's fine he's taking care of himself in the offseason but that's just fodder for when you hear x player showing up to camp "in the best shape of his life." So he was in poor shape last year, why? Was he eating nachos, wings and drinking pop and beer last summer? He will have his shot come September but I can see the Spits having a short leash with him if he's still not playing at a high level.
Who said he was in poor shape last year
The fact of the matter was that in his 1st camp he was 227 Lbs,this past season he was 220 and now with 6 weeks to go he is 207.All a process in my view,he is putting the work in to be better and there is no doubt in my mind he will as good if not better then his last 2 training camps where he has played very well.

Reactions: OHLTG

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The fact of the matter was that in his 1st camp he was 227 Lbs,this past season he was 220 and now with 6 weeks to go he is 207.All a process in my view,he is putting the work in to be better and there is no doubt in my mind he will as good if not better then his last 2 training camps where he has played very well.

A player told me unequivocally that he along with many arrived at camp in poor shape. To the point where over half the team failed the physical fitness tests. Just a process though......

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit

"Who said he was in poor shape last year?" Coaching staff.

The thing with Baier is consistancy, He has gotta show it when it matters most. Do I want him to have a good camp? Show that he is ready to go? Damn right, The pressure is on him and I hope he prevails but if you were to go by his previous stats as that all we can go by......I am not sold on him at all. Don't forget there is a kid traveling all the way from Finland to get a job done too. This is going to be one hell of a training camp for the Spits, one of the most competative in years imho.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
"Who said he was in poor shape last year?" Coaching staff.

The thing with Baier is consistancy, He has gotta show it when it matters most. Do I want him to have a good camp? Show that he is ready to go? Damn right, The pressure is on him and I hope he prevails but if you were to go by his previous stats as that all we can go by......I am not sold on him at all. Don't forget there is a kid traveling all the way from Finland to get a job done too. This is going to be one hell of a training camp for the Spits, one of the most competative in years imho.

Well Baier has had 2 good to very good camps his 1st 2 years in the organization don't expect any different in fact I expect even better especially if he is maximizing his conditioning,other contenders for goal and I am not including Dipietro better to the same.
As for consistency, playing a game then not playing for 3 weeks,and once for 6,is not a recipe for success or consistency.
After his 1st game when he allowed 9 goals,he only allowed 15 goals in his next 4 games,and only played 1 game at home in team's 1st 34 games of the season,which was a 4-3 loss in OT,on a breakaway.
Are you aware his average at the 34 game mark and 4 games, before trade deadline was 5.45,his average the last 34 of the season in which he played 5 games like he did the 1st half was 4.70 and that was after Windsor dealt Day and McEneny,along with Brown and Vilardi,and dealt Luchuk at game 30,
Baier only started 3 of those games,1 at home in the last game of the season
2 other games he replaced Dipietro one game where Mike allowed 4 goals at SSM,Spits were trailing 4-0 scored 3 goals then SSM scored to make it 5-3,Spits scored another to make it 5-4 before losing 6-4 empty netter,and because Baier allowed the 5th goal he got the loss,and then in game 66 vs Owen Sound he replaced Dipietro at home 1/2 way through the game after allowed 4 goals.
Baier finished strong winning the last game at home 3-2 vs Saginaw to get the team to 6th,and when Dipietro got hurt in game 5 at Sarnia,with the Spits losing by a goal, he did what he had to do and didn't allow goal in 15 minutes of action.
That playoff experience where things are different,in my view will help moving forward, mental confidence is key for goalies,I think this past year has made him tougher and this coming season will show dividends imo.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Yes you are cherry picking,you pick a 19 year old goalie who had previous CHL experience,granted limited but better then none who played on a power packed Mem Cup team against an 18 year old goalie playing on a team that starting a rebuild,big difference u don't think there is , come on u are better then that.
More fair would be to compare Passingham and his 24 games in Sarnia after being dealt by Windsor in mid season,he averaged 4.76 on a rebuilding team much like Baier this season, except Passingham was 2 years older and had much more experience
Doubt you will agree, fairness not one of your noticeable traits.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I hope you are right!! Baier dropping 20 lbs should help his speed, reaction time, mobility etc. The goaltending situation for the Spits was handled horribly last season.....no one will dispute that, and it is hard for any goalie to regain confidence with that amount of limited playing time. With that being said Baier really does have the pressure on him. You can put his stats in the light you want...but any fan will tell you they are not too confident in Baier. The large majority of the fans think DiPi is not going to moved also.....so take that how ever you will. People who understand the league and its workings know DiPi is going to be moved, but the fan that goes to 5 or 6 games a year....they don't get it...and expect blow back, add that pressure on Baier who has not convinced fans he can get the job done. Lets wait and see how it plays out before throwing out kudo's to Baier, he has quite a task at hand at the moment.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I hope you are right!! Baier dropping 20 lbs should help his speed, reaction time, mobility etc. The goaltending situation for the Spits was handled horribly last season.....no one will dispute that, and it is hard for any goalie to regain confidence with that amount of limited playing time. With that being said Baier really does have the pressure on him. You can put his stats in the light you want...but any fan will tell you they are not too confident in Baier. The large majority of the fans think DiPi is not going to moved also.....so take that how ever you will. People who understand the league and its workings know DiPi is going to be moved, but the fan that goes to 5 or 6 games a year....they don't get it...and expect blow back, add that pressure on Baier who has not convinced fans he can get the job done. Lets wait and see how it plays out before throwing out kudo's to Baier, he has quite a task at hand at the moment.

I think more then throwing kudos it's more about fair perspective and building from there.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Well Baier has had 2 good to very good camps his 1st 2 years in the organization don't expect any different in fact I expect even better especially if he is maximizing his conditioning,other contenders for goal and I am not including Dipietro better to the same.
As for consistency, playing a game then not playing for 3 weeks,and once for 6,is not a recipe for success or consistency.
After his 1st game when he allowed 9 goals,he only allowed 15 goals in his next 4 games,and only played 1 game at home in team's 1st 34 games of the season,which was a 4-3 loss in OT,on a breakaway.
Are you aware his average at the 34 game mark and 4 games, before trade deadline was 5.45,his average the last 34 of the season in which he played 5 games like he did the 1st half was 4.70 and that was after Windsor dealt Day and McEneny,along with Brown and Vilardi,and dealt Luchuk at game 30,
Baier only started 3 of those games,1 at home in the last game of the season
2 other games he replaced Dipietro one game where Mike allowed 4 goals at SSM,Spits were trailing 4-0 scored 3 goals then SSM scored to make it 5-3,Spits scored another to make it 5-4 before losing 6-4 empty netter,and because Baier allowed the 5th goal he got the loss,and then in game 66 vs Owen Sound he replaced Dipietro at home 1/2 way through the game after allowed 4 goals.
Baier finished strong winning the last game at home 3-2 vs Saginaw to get the team to 6th,and when Dipietro got hurt in game 5 at Sarnia,with the Spits losing by a goal, he did what he had to do and didn't allow goal in 15 minutes of action.
That playoff experience where things are different,in my view will help moving forward, mental confidence is key for goalies,I think this past year has made him tougher and this coming season will show dividends imo.
I don’t buy the whole not playing on why he struggled. Patton did the same thing and played better then baier for most of the year. I like Baier at camps but feel they can’t rely on him or Patton to be a starter.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I don’t buy the whole not playing on why he struggled. Patton did the same thing and played better then baier for most of the year. I like Baier at camps but feel they can’t rely on him or Patton to be a starter.

Patton allowed 9 goals in his last 2 starts a 6-1 loss at Sarnia and a 3-2 loss at home vs SSM facing only 17 shots that game,Game 58 and didn't dress again the rest of the season including playoffs.In fact he only played 9 games all season in Chatham and didn't play a minute in their playoffs,and was the backup.
My guess is that he will be moved in August, especially with 6 other goalies in the organization and at least 3 for now rated ahead of him by the organization, Dipietro,Baier, Piiroinen and I am not even including Medina.

Reactions: punch1943
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad