Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Spitfires win 4-3 in OT on a goal that could make the TSN highlight reels. Staios goes coast-to-coast, around the D, then roofs it short glove side on Villalta.

Reactions: nelli27

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with a win. Yes they won a game.
Windsor caught a big break by Soo not playing Frost, Hayden and putting their back up in for most of the game. Once the Soo put their starter in, Windsor didn't really have a answer till OT.
First 2 periods were pretty even. 3rd period Soo was all over them but couldn't pull ahead.
Inzce played very well. Other than that wrap around goal he stole the game for Windsor.
Spits players seemed very happy to get the 2 points. Maybe they were just tired of losing - 7 in a row. But now they are in 8th spot which would face London in 1st round. That is not a good consolation price.
Guess we will c what happens next week. Spits have 2 more games left.
Might see someone post now????? lol

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
35 games 33 points pre-deadline.

24 games 37 point post-deadline

That's Perfetti. I wonder why?!

"one of the biggest reasons the Spitfires have struggled over the last 3 months..."

Prosvetov wasn't more experienced coming in. Both him and Piiroinen had zero OHL games played. So, let's say Prosvetov comes to the Spitfires and plays behind DiPietro. We trade DiPietro and it's Prosvetov and, say, Medina. Now, Prosvetov goes to the AHL next season, so you're left with Medina starting in a season you want to win a round or two in the post-season. That's worse than the situation was this season; much higher expectations. If we were going to make a run this season, you go for Prosvetov. We're not, though, so you go for the guy who's going to be around a bit (hopefully). That's Piiroinen.

All that tells me is Perfetti is extremely talented thanks but I think we already knew that.

Yes one of the reasons for their struggles has to do with Piroinen not playing well. You glossing over the fact he was overtaken by Incze?

Piroinen has to show that he's actually capable of being that goalie. I don't think you can say with a straight face that the Spits have a good goaltending situation going into next year when expectations should be higher and quite frankly that's all that matters at this point.

Oldspitsfan

Nov 24, 2013
I believe this site has become much too personal Some posters project themselves as experts without any input into necessary improvements. It is so easy to find fault with the team and it’s leadership, however it is not very classy to attack the more positive posters. One liners that sarcastically attack previous posts are juvenile and completely immature. I too have been critical of the power play but offered up solutions We can disagree without being petty (maybe some of us).
I will focus on the drafts and free agency to find more talent that we have the ability to compete. I can refuse to buy playoff tickets without totally denegrating the club or people that comment on them

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
All that tells me is Perfetti is extremely talented thanks but I think we already knew that.

Yeah, has nothing to do with his surroundings.

Yes one of the reasons for their struggles has to do with Piroinen not playing well. You glossing over the fact he was overtaken by Incze?

Tough to get into a groove when you play twice a month. That's only been discussed on here a few dozen times.

Rayzor said:
Piroinen has to show that he's actually capable of being that goalie. I don't think you can say with a straight face that the Spits have a good goaltending situation going into next year when expectations should be higher and quite frankly that's all that matters at this point.

That's on the coaching. See point above this.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Yeah, has nothing to do with his surroundings.

Tough to get into a groove when you play twice a month. That's only been discussed on here a few dozen times.

That's on the coaching. See point above this.
I think a lot of this Kari stuff has to do with the team talking him up so much after they drafted him. That probably even put more pressure on him then he already had. But from what was spoken about him from the draft he has kinda been a disppointment. We possibly could have been saying the same thing if Medina was here playing the same way. The good thing is he only 17 and IF he decides to come back he SHOULD be better. And by 19 will see his true skill level if he makes it that far here.

Reactions: ohloutsider

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Some will say that was a great win and 2 points and some will say winning that game kinda stunk. But heck did you see that Staios goal. That was pretty nice. Maybe next year he will take that next step and will be able to do things like that against 5 skates.

soo hound girl

Oct 20, 2017
Watched Foudy today and for a 16 year old pretty impressive this kid is gonna be a star in this league probably as early as next season
As far as the game today got to give your guys Aton of credit for walking out of here with 2 points played in Flint last night and then drove for a 5 hour bus ride and lose a hour with the time change and have a 2:07 start pretty impressive good luck in the playoffs with London if you can hold off Erie

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
35 games 33 points pre-deadline.

24 games 37 point post-deadline

That's Perfetti. I wonder why?!

"one of the biggest reasons the Spitfires have struggled over the last 3 months..."

Prosvetov wasn't more experienced coming in. Both him and Piiroinen had zero OHL games played. So, let's say Prosvetov comes to the Spitfires and plays behind DiPietro. We trade DiPietro and it's Prosvetov and, say, Medina. Now, Prosvetov goes to the AHL next season, so you're left with Medina starting in a season you want to win a round or two in the post-season. That's worse than the situation was this season; much higher expectations. If we were going to make a run this season, you go for Prosvetov. We're not, though, so you go for the guy who's going to be around a bit (hopefully). That's Piiroinen.

I think it's more about the situation than the players themselves. Look at it this way - would I rather have that series vs. Sarnia last year, or have the choice between Foudy and Perfetti, and Prosvetov and Piiroinen. There's no question what I would have done. It doesn't matter if even at the better pick, they would have went with the Foudy-Piiroinen tandem they picked. The series did absolutely nothing for them, and they could have potentially lost the option to take the player they wanted. Foudy is a great player but Perfetti 's production has been on another level. What if Foudy was taken and they had someone like Evangelista next up on the list? The first year results between those players are massive. Giving up that opportunity to have your selection 3rd overall vs. 6th overall and 10 picks earlier in the import draft for 4 games of being blown out is a terrible trade off no matter what.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Watched Foudy today and for a 16 year old pretty impressive this kid is gonna be a star in this league probably as early as next season
As far as the game today got to give your guys Aton of credit for walking out of here with 2 points played in Flint last night and then drove for a 5 hour bus ride and lose a hour with the time change and have a 2:07 start pretty impressive good luck in the playoffs with London if you can hold off Erie
I’m not sure if we want to hold of Erie lol.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think a lot of this Kari stuff has to do with the team talking him up so much after they drafted him. That probably even put more pressure on him then he already had. But from what was spoken about him from the draft he has kinda been a disppointment. We possibly could have been saying the same thing if Medina was here playing the same way. The good thing is he only 17 and IF he decides to come back he SHOULD be better. And by 19 will see his true skill level if he makes it that far here.

Would people rather the team shrug him off? He has tons of potential and could be an NHL pick in June. The issue is him coming in after DiPietro. Not easy to do. He needs a good offseason and come back ready to start.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Nice to beat a good team on our 3rd game in 4 days, with travel and time change.

Staios has a beauty, and I’ve liked him a lot more lately as he seems more comfortable. Needs better discipline (ex: last night), but I think he’s coming around. Everyone knows D Take longer to develop.

Didn’t think I’d be rooting for erie this March, but I am. Windsor’s got the easier schedule, but I don’t think we’ll beat Flint, and the Sarnia game is a toss up. Hopefully Sarnias game matters for positioning, and we don’t see the backup.

#ForTheDraftPick

Reactions: ohloutsider

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Would people rather the team shrug him off? He has tons of potential and could be an NHL pick in June. The issue is him coming in after DiPietro. Not easy to do. He needs a good offseason and come back ready to start.

I would rather the Spits take their shot with 2 new imports. The Spits aren't just a decent goalie away from being a contender. They're a couple top 6 forwards away, a stud #1 D and a very good 2nd pairing guy away as well. Fill those other holes first.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I would rather the Spits take their shot with 2 new imports. The Spits aren't just a decent goalie away from being a contender. They're a couple top 6 forwards away, a stud #1 D and a very good 2nd pairing guy away as well. Fill those other holes first.

I can see it now... "Spitfires selected a couple of guys who can score, but we know the team's history with Imports so I don't know, yet..."

If they get a top guy in the Import Draft, a top 5-6 pick in the OHL draft, sign a FA, and bring in Afanasyev... that's four big additions.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I can see it now... "Spitfires selected a couple of guys who can score, but we know the team's history with Imports so I don't know, yet..."

If they get a top guy in the Import Draft, a top 5-6 pick in the OHL draft, sign a FA, and bring in Afanasyev... that's four big additions.

but how will they be coached????

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

You still have to shoot your shot though. Our attitude towards the import pick has zero bearing on how that player will perform.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I am puzzled do not fans want play off hockey when anything can happen.

The issue is that this team is very, very hit-and-miss. They lose to last-place Flint on Saturday, but, despite all odds, beat the top-notch Greyhounds on Sunday. In theory, they could win a couple of playoff games, but beating SSM, London, or Saginaw in four-of-seven is a very tall order. Fans don't want another "let's play five games just to play five games" series. We've seen that at least a couple of times since 2011 and, barring a miracle, it's not much fun. Heck, when Windsor faced London several seasons ago (I want to say 2012 or 2013?), the crowds were low and there was no energy in the rink. It had a very "let's just get this over with" feeling.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I am puzzled do not fans want play off hockey when anything can happen.

We have seen enough 6-7-8 seeds the past 8 seasons to know it doesn't end well for the Spits. In fact the winning % for 1-2 seeds in round 1 over the past 15 years or so is up over 97%. So as much as we would like to say anything can happen it rarely does.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The issue is that this team is very, very hit-and-miss. They lose to last-place Flint on Saturday, but, despite all odds, beat the top-notch Greyhounds on Sunday. In theory, they could win a couple of playoff games, but beating SSM, London, or Saginaw in four-of-seven is a very tall order. Fans don't want another "let's play five games just to play five games" series. We've seen that at least a couple of times since 2011 and, barring a miracle, it's not much fun. Heck, when Windsor faced London several seasons ago (I want to say 2012 or 2013?), the crowds were low and there was no energy in the rink. It had a very "let's just get this over with" feeling.

the crowd has been saying "lets get this over with" since 2012

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
If WR let someone else run the Minor Midget and Import draft this team would do much better. WR is an asset in trading but when it comes down to it his draft selections are not very good compared to many other GM who have over 5 yrs experience
WR is a good communicator and extremely loyal. He needs to take a look at his scouting dept. Besides the fact many are buddies, he still should have competent scouts but he does hire scouts who can make a positive difference
The problems begin with the person who decides on player selection on draft day and it is on WR

Bateman and Weiberman are examples of foolish picks!

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ah comments from those that think they know but don’t lol. I just can’t decide if it was luck in the Soo or the guys decided to show what they can do when they want to. Maybe they want a new coach too. Imho this win hurts tho. This team desperately needs that D man in the draft and he isn’t gonna fall to them if they get in the playoffs. We mostly know this team wouldn’t be good this year so some of u haters are just pot stirring! Now the regression of talent and the dumb decisions behind the bench, that’s another story! The possibility is there that the team adds 7 players next year. That happens and we get a coach, I see way better things ahead. Just to clarify, 7 players. A euro pick, Robinson, 2 US born guys from previous drafts, Affy from Mikey trade and a minimum 2 guys from draft. I think that’s a likely good. That doesn’t included any stunts from WR. But I believe he gets aggressive. The shenanigans London pulls off has him riled up!

Reactions: TheGremlin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad