Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 71782

Not a good start, lucky to get out of the first tied at one.

The start of the second looked like it was going to be more of the same. Cuylle's breakaway goal gave them a bit of life and while there were still some rough patches Windsor seemed to get their **** together and improve their play.

Third period much like the second.

A better outcome but only a slightly better game regardless of the score.

London tomorrow and everyone in this line up needs to be much better.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits win a game they were really supposed to win.
Flint played really well though for most of the game.
Windsor had to play really hard to win this game.
Cullye could of had 4 or 5 goals this game. He had so many chances.
Foudy had a few great chances too.
Young kids played great.
Vets, well they played about the same. Not enough offence out of them. They are getting showed up by the rookies.
DiPietro let in a few this game, but really it was the d fault. No help at all for DiPietro from the d.
Did not like the 5 on 3 pp Windsor had. What a wasted opportunity.
Playfair did get hurt. I guess they wont have to shuffle players now. Playfair and angle being hurt now.
Tomorrow game will be an interesting game.

member 71782

Of course Flint should be given some credit, they out played Windsor last night and for long stretches tonight.

The point and problem is not how Flint played, improved or not but how Windsor played, far from how they are capable of playing.

Flint playing better or well has no impact on how Windsor has played unless Windsor simply lacks the talent and ability to play at Flint's level.

I like to believe Windsor has a more talented team than we've seen many nights which means how well Flints has played really has no bearing on how poorly Windsor has played much of the last two games.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Of course Flint should be given some credit, they out played Windsor last night and for long stretches tonight.

The point and problem is not how Flint played, improved or not but how Windsor played, far from how they are capable of playing.

Flint playing better or well has no impact on how Windsor has played unless Windsor simply lacks the talent and ability to play at Flint's level.

I like to believe Windsor has a more talented team than we've seen many nights which means how well Flints has played really has no bearing on how poorly Windsor has played much of the last two games.

Exactly, that's fine to give credit to Flint they played hard like you hope every player on every team does in that game. What Flint does shouldn't have any bearing on how Windsor performs or what their players do. Windsor can only control what they do nothing what Flint does. Good they got the W but going into this week you probably wanted 4 points so that takes a W on Sunday.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
100%... Wellwood has them playing well. Any idea that teams will run over them isnt realistic. They might allow 6-7 goals but its not from lack of effort.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
1 thing that I noticed yesterday that Foudy was out on the PK. Yes it was second team but it is nice to see management has enough confidence in him to put him out there, or they are running out of bodies with Angle and Playfair missing? Either way he got some PK time. Does he ever remind me of his brother. Skates like the wind and hangs onto the puck forever. He did hit the post yesterday so he will shoot but that is an issue with the entire team.

So for today - SHOOT THE PUCK! We had a 5-3 and maybe 2 attempts to shoot the puck. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take! Where have we heard that line before?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I would like to think the improvement with the Firebirds is partly due to Wellwood becoming their coach.

That's fair and partly would be the correct word. If they kept their coach the same they would have eventually won a game. Wellwood will win a few games but opponents are still going to lay it on the Firebirds from time to time like they have against Soo/Gue/Ott/Ldn.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
After last night's win Spits now 9-6-1-1 in their last 17 games with 9 of them on the road,7-3-1 in the last 11,hard to believe how many complain when they lose,critic the coach,etc and say dick for the most part when they win.
There has been improvements in most areas ie goals for,goals against,individual play with the exception of Boka and Starikov, there were more then a few others,but most have right the ship.
More points from the D has helped,in fact Spits now have 3Dmen in double points Corcoran has more goals this year(5),then all of last (3),Staois has the same number of points (12) then last except he played in 30 more last year, Ladd has 10 points in 24 games,only 5 in 30 last year no goals,2 goals so far,8 points in his last 16 games played,and Louka Henault who scored his 1st goal of his OHL career last night has 6 points on the season,had 2 points last year in 42 games.
Everybody talks about lack of scoring, fact is that they have averaged, 3.82 in goals for,and allowed 2.0 per in the last 11 games,and in the last 17 games,are averaging 3.53 goals for and 2.42 in goals against.
The 1st 8 games of the season Windsor was averaging 2.63 goals per game enroute to a 3-5 record,and now only 6 losses in regulation in the last 17 games.Every area improved imo overall coaching must be bad next.
Spits have only lost 1 game this season by more then 2 goals excluding empty netters,and that was October 27 at Barrie in a 6-1 loss.
Spits are 2nd best overall in goals against in the league excluding empty netters,London is #1 and 16th tied with Peterborough for goals overall.
PK is #2 in the league and the PP is #15.
Last year after being in the top 4 in both PK and PP prior to Luchuk and the gang being dealt they finished 5th in PK and 16th in PP.
Ironically they are 15th in PP with the same 18.1 per cent as they finished last year after a great start before the deals.
Overall satisfied with things have gone overall for 1st 25 games,especially considering a number of players underachieving the 1st 10 games or so.
Happy with all the kids looking forward to last 2/3 thirds of the schedule
Some forget this is the 2nd youngest team in the league,there will be growing pains along the way.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
hard to believe how many complain when they lose,critic the coach,etc and say dick for the most part when they win.

We are guilty on the London board as well, having won 11 in a row is just not acceptable damn it! Secondary is you are only 1 year removed from having gutted the organization (draft picks, young players etc) in a successful run to a Memorial Cup victory on home ice. LOL the management and players must get a kick out of reading our "helpful" posts........

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Speaking of London - and I forgot to post this last night - there was talk last night that London could be one of the teams in play for DiPietro. Just chit-chat but something to think about.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
After last night's win Spits now 9-6-1-1 in their last 17 games with 9 of them on the road,7-3-1 in the last 11,hard to believe how many complain when they lose,critic the coach,etc and say dick for the most part when they win.
There has been improvements in most areas ie goals for,goals against,individual play with the exception of Boka and Starikov, there were more then a few others,but most have right the ship.
More points from the D has helped,in fact Spits now have 3Dmen in double points Corcoran has more goals this year(5),then all of last (3),Staois has the same number of points (12) then last except he played in 30 more last year, Ladd has 10 points in 24 games,only 5 in 30 last year no goals,2 goals so far,8 points in his last 16 games played,and Louka Henault who scored his 1st goal of his OHL career last night has 6 points on the season,had 2 points last year in 42 games.
Everybody talks about lack of scoring, fact is that they have averaged, 3.82 in goals for,and allowed 2.0 per in the last 11 games,and in the last 17 games,are averaging 3.53 goals for and 2.42 in goals against.
The 1st 8 games of the season Windsor was averaging 2.63 goals per game enroute to a 3-5 record,and now only 6 losses in regulation in the last 17 games.Every area improved imo overall coaching must be bad next.
Spits have only lost 1 game this season by more then 2 goals excluding empty netters,and that was October 27 at Barrie in a 6-1 loss.
Spits are 2nd best overall in goals against in the league excluding empty netters,London is #1 and 16th tied with Peterborough for goals overall.
Last year after being in the top 4 in both PK and PP prior to Luchuk and the gang being dealt they finished 5th in PK and 16th in PP.
Ironically they are 15th in PP with the same 18.1 per cent as they finished last year after a great start before the deals.
Overall satisfied with things have gone overall for 1st 25 games,especially considering a number of players underachieving the 1st 10 games or so.
Some forget this is the 2nd youngest team in the league,there will be growing pains along the way.

I could be wrong but I don't see spits moving up in the standings.

Reactions: TheGremlin

member 71782

A lot of the critiquing of the coaches has occurred win or lose so that's been pretty consistent.

There has been some improvement from some, others not so much. The biggest complaint about the players has been a lack of consistency. One or two players playing inconcsistent for a stretch is one thing but the whole team has been inconsistent all year so while there has been improvement when looking at the long term stats the game to game inconsistencies remains an issue.

Their goals for/against may look better but many times the goals for have come in bunches, again this is the inconsistency issue.

Excluding empty net goals may help their numbers look better but when this team has allowed at least one empty net goal every time they've pulled their goaltender except once and they are likely at the top or close to it in terms of empty net goals coaching has to reconsider the idea of pulling their goalie when down by a goal. Curious, how many goals have they scored this year when they've pulled their goalie? One, two? If there is a large differential between those two numbers and the team has allowed the most, or close to the most goals against when their net is empty then this tells me the team is not very good when pulling their goalie. Their PP numbers show they aren't that great with the man advantage so pulling the goalie isn't likely going to end up with a different result. Leave the goalie in and let the team go all out for the when knowing they have someone to back them up.

PP is now 15th compared to 16th last year at the end of the season so that shows very little if any real improvement on the PP. Does this fall on the players or the systems? My guess is it comes down to a bit of both.

Yes they are the second youngest team in the league and the kids so far look to be bringing a bright future to the team. The kids aren't the problem. The vets and everyone from last year should be another year older and another year improved but the kids are leading the way while many vets have shown some regression. The youth is not the problem here, it's the vets who have peaked or regressed. A lot of people always point to "next" year when they have a young team. The vets who will lead the way combined with the improved youth. This year, we aren't seeing that happening. Yet the vets have been given minutes in situations that their game is not suited for, the lack of production, consistency and ability to drive the play is obvious but the decisions to keep putting them out there are still being made.

Who's making those decisions?

I would guess it's not the players but the coaches which means a lot of the issues coming from inconsistent play, lack of veteran contributions etc is coming from coaching decisions. I've said it along with others and not just after a loss, it's been pretty consistent on here that the coaching needs to improve. If you don't have the players then you need to reconsider who you are putting on the ice in various situations instead of playing players based on years of service. Then it's up to Rychel to get those players for the coaching staff to have a wider range of options.

A lot of posters who have raised issues on here haven't done so based on a win or loss but on how things have played out regardless of if the team has won or loss. Last night could have easily gone the other way. Flint out played them most of the first and offensively they were pretty even in the second and third with the difference being Vella having a rough night for Flint. Had he played as well as he had the night before I doubt Windsor wins last night. They won and I'm complaining, again after a win about the poor decisions and lack of consistency over a win that came down to an opposing goalie having a bad night moreso then the talent and systems getting the victory.

Are you going to say they played a great game? Better than Friday? Slightly but a great or even good game, no.

Everyone needs to be a lot better than they were the last two nights if they want to bring London's current streak to an end.

Are they capable of doing it? Yes. Will it happen? That depends on a lot of things that have not been consistent this year from decisions made behind the bench to the players responding and talking advantage of their opportunities.

Plain and simple, this team can be better, much better on a consistent basis and that starts with the decisions made behind the bench to the level of effort the players give on the ice.

No one wants to see this team perform poorly and no one is happy when that happens. While some of the recent improvements are steps ion the right direction the inability to maintain that improved level of play makes any improvements questionable. Were they lucky to run off a few good games or is that what this team is really capable of in which case why can't they do it consistently.

Reactions: punch1943

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Today will be a big test.
I expect dipietro in net again.
Probably in net for rest of home games till he leaves world jrs.
Give the fans something to c before they trade him away.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Speaking of London - and I forgot to post this last night - there was talk last night that London could be one of the teams in play for DiPietro. Just chit-chat but something to think about.
Whut'choo talkin' about, Willis???? :huh::)

That would surprise me; shock me really. But ya never know...

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London

London of course has the resources I would think to satisfy Windsor and DiPietro is a great goaltender. Considering what we already have in net I think the cost for DiPietro will be to high for the improvement from where we currently am at in goal. Kooy is really shining and only lacks experience if anything.
However moving Raymakers allows an OA spot to open up (pretty sure Ray is an OA) so one move leads to another move........who knows?

Gloverone2020

Oct 2, 2018
London of course has the resources I would think to satisfy Windsor and DiPietro is a great goaltender. Considering what we already have in net I think the cost for DiPietro will be to high for the improvement from where we currently am at in goal. Kooy is really shining and only lacks experience if anything.
However moving Raymakers allows an OA spot to open up (pretty sure Ray is an OA) so one move leads to another move........who knows?
Goalies dont count towards OA no more i believe

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Goalies dont count towards OA no more i believe

That was just mentioned in the London thread, thanks for the details! Then being an arm chair manager I'm probably "out" on DiPietro! I'm sure Mark and Dale read these forums before making any moves!

Oldbarn Newhay

Mar 31, 2016
Whut'choo talkin' about, Willis???? :huh::)

That would surprise me; shock me really. But ya never know...

Question for London is, do you trust Raaymakers (SSM did not) and if not, do you turn to a career backup, never played a playoff game in Kooy. Plus you leave the door open for your only challenger Ottawa to obtain DiPietro.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Question for London is, do you trust Raaymakers (SSM did not) and if not, do you turn to a career backup, never played a playoff game in Kooy. Plus you leave the door open for your only challenger Ottawa to obtain DiPietro.

Yup that is the question for sure and is quite simple. Yes or No......LOL

member 71782

I know it was rumoured that the OA rule was going to change in terms of goalies not counting against the 3 OAs, along with the return of import goalies but I don't remember hearing it was confirmed.

Maybe HL can confirm what it is.

In terms of a potential deal with London, wouldn't be surprised at all.

Could see London move Raymaakers to Ottawa for the extra picks.

Could see London also move a couple of other bodies for more picks then move Evangalista, a second player and all the picks Rychel is asking for without dipping into their own stockpile for much more than a couple of the picks they currently have.

Will it happen? Who knows but I wouldn't be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad