Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Hopefully the signing of the fin goalie will be a good thing. As been said most times wait n see how he plays.
Waiting for the dipietro deal really. Then the rebuild or cycle will be done

Nobody knows how the import goalie will do but this is a good article/review of the import draft and the actual impact players make.

OHL Prospects: 2018 CHL Import Draft Review

Over the past 4 years OHL teams it's around 37% of players have an actual significant impact on their team. With goalies now back in the import draft it will be interesting to see how that moves the %'s of success or failure.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Can we hope that those that like to stir have moved on?? Not much goin on right now. I'm still of the belief Mikey goes after WJ. That's not to say if something crazy comes up the deal doesn't go sooner. Been chatting quite a bit to other team guys, it's truly unreal how many believe Londons shenanigans are just being ignored by those in charge. Look for even more ex players turning to coaching. Starting to hear of real push back from teams about the way Mem cup host gets chosen.

Reactions: TheGremlin

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The whole London shenanigans thing will never really be solved. Some believe there's stuff going on. Others say show the proof. Unless a hardcore investigative journalist can figure out how to get in there, the league won't touch it. That's their "big dawg" (WWE reference) and it's almost understandable.

Regarding hosting - the financial guarantee is going to be the downfall to the current format. When teams are backing out because of $$, that should scream something. We're nearly at the point of "let's just hold it at the Air Canada Canada Centre." I'm almost waiting for the season where NOBODY bids to host. "Yeah, nah, we're good." See how the OHL responds to that.

Reactions: Teflon

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Can we hope that those that like to stir have moved on?? Not much goin on right now. I'm still of the belief Mikey goes after WJ. That's not to say if something crazy comes up the deal doesn't go sooner. Been chatting quite a bit to other team guys, it's truly unreal how many believe Londons shenanigans are just being ignored by those in charge. Look for even more ex players turning to coaching. Starting to hear of real push back from teams about the way Mem cup host gets chosen.

Sent you a PM instead of leaving response on here.

Reactions: randomhero4life

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Spits fans, wanted to pick your brains. A thought, Cuylle a top prospect appears at this time not to want to sign with the Petes. As you probably know rumours( at least in Ottawa) have been linking the 67's to Dipietro. We have a crapload of picks. So wondering if the Spits would trade Dipietro and want to flip those picks for Cuylle? Does he fit your rebuilding timeline? I doubt Cuylle would object to Windsor a choice destination. Thoughts?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Spits fans, wanted to pick your brains. A thought, Cuylle a top prospect appears at this time not to want to sign with the Petes. As you probably know rumours( at least in Ottawa) have been linking the 67's to Dipietro. We have a crapload of picks. So wondering if the Spits would trade Dipietro and want to flip those picks for Cuylle? Does he fit your rebuilding timeline? I doubt Cuylle would object to Windsor a choice destination. Thoughts?
Sounds interesting but a lot depends on what the Spits would get for DiPietro and then what the Petes want for Cuylle? Spits would be unwise to spend everything from a DiPietro deal for Cuylle. Sounds like he is a high end talent and would be welcome in Windsor but it would be hard to make a run 2 years from now if we spend all of our picks now.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

Flip some of the picks? Perhaps.

If it's something like - DiPietro for 7 picks + 01, then Cuylle for 4 picks... yeah, okay.

If it's DiPietro for 5 picks + 01, then Cuylle for 4 picks... no.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013

If it's something like - DiPietro for 7 picks + 01, then Cuylle for 4 picks... yeah, okay.

I really doubt they get 7 picks (assuming they are 2nd/3rd rounders) and an 01. They might have gotten that last year so a team would have him for a two year run. I see his value now as 4 seconds and two thirds. As for Cuylle we're probably talking three seconds, 3 thirds as a third overall pick imo.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Question is does the above fit with the Spits trading chips and projected contending window?

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I believe it would. I also wouldn't be surprised if that very sinerio played out. Or something similar.

Last edited:

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
He would fit. Sorry 67. I believe your worth of Mikey is a bit low! My opinion is a scorer or projected scorer is coming our way in Mikey deal.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
He would fit. Sorry 67. I believe your worth of Mikey is a bit low! My opinion is a scorer or projected scorer is coming our way in Mikey deal.
We'll see I guess about his worth, like I said last year your value is on but now he's only got a year left so I still think what I said is reasonable. As for potential goal scorer in this scenario its Cuylle. Anyway at the end of the day his value will be what somebody is willing to pay.

Reactions: Teflon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

So if you got 2 less picks for DiPietro you wouldn't try and acquire Cuylle? Just because you get 2 less picks shouldn't dictate if you want a young player. With that being said it wouldn't be the smart choice in trying to acquire him. The Spits need to continue to build up that draft cupboard if the organization wants to continually be good year after year and every 4th year or so have a chance to win a championship. If they did do a move like this it would just show the public that there isn't a plan to be good year to year.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So if you got 2 less picks for DiPietro you wouldn't try and acquire Cuylle? Just because you get 2 less picks shouldn't dictate if you want a young player. With that being said it wouldn't be the smart choice in trying to acquire him. The Spits need to continue to build up that draft cupboard if the organization wants to continually be good year after year and every 4th year or so have a chance to win a championship. If they did do a move like this it would just show the public that there isn't a plan to be good year to year.

If the cost for Cuylle is the vast majority of your return for DiPietro, no, I wouldn't do it. Windsor needs to get the picks, for both now and later. If the price for Cuylle is much more reasonable (ie. half of DiPietro's return), then let's talk.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If the cost for Cuylle is the vast majority of your return for DiPietro, no, I wouldn't do it. Windsor needs to get the picks, for both now and later. If the price for Cuylle is much more reasonable (ie. half of DiPietro's return), then let's talk.

If the only way you can justify the cost of Cuylle is to move DiPietro and move those picks then that doesn't make much sense either. That would be the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Also right now the Spits have signed 2 picks, they want to sign 2 others between Medina/Kelly/Evans. Right now the numbers don't mix in acquiring Cuylle. Those are 3 American born players it's quite possible if you don't sign them now or even 2 of them you may not see them again.

Reactions: punch1943

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
TY for the response on PM. More than another poster could bring themselves to do for charity ;)

Just hard to see you post/complain about others opinions and do the same.
We've now had our side discussion. Thank you. I don't complain or chirp others, just one. Let's be clear. I also don't opine unless i specify that. Hope I was clear in pm.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Things will work out with Cuylie and I'm betting he will be moved. He's unproven and young. It won't take a kings ransom. Fair compensation will get him. Could the Spits do this? I'd say if WR wants him he'll try without giving up the ship. He's not new at this lol. I'm still being told Mikey stays until WJ barring something crazy. euro goalie will take over if deemed able with likelyhood of US goalie coming then. That's still all speculation tho. Long term plans tend to change in junior.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If the only way you can justify the cost of Cuylle is to move DiPietro and move those picks then that doesn't make much sense either. That would be the definition of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Also right now the Spits have signed 2 picks, they want to sign 2 others between Medina/Kelly/Evans. Right now the numbers don't mix in acquiring Cuylle. Those are 3 American born players it's quite possible if you don't sign them now or even 2 of them you may not see them again.

Keep in mind a team can sign as many 16 year olds as they drafted,but they can only roster 4.
Also remember Tanner Kelly is duel because his mom is Canadian so technically he can play Jr B
My guess is Kelly won't sign till he and family sees how camp goes prior to exhibition season.
Would also would not surprise if Medina doesn't sign and if he does he will be rostered in the Detriot area this season and called up during the season for a look.
Spencer Evans will be a guy they try to sign prior to camp.
Not sure about talk about Cuylle just yet,think they will get a young forward in any trade for Dipietro.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Teflon hit my point. I like Cuylle, but at the right cost. If DiPietro brings us back X and Cuylle costs 2/3 of X, why bother? Keep the picks and use them as assets down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad