Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

three dog night

May 3, 2014
What happen my friend said it was 5 to2 for you guys left the rink in Niagara turned on our post game and Sarnia came back to win did you sit on the lead .

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Saturday morning Moaning

Just a suggestion.....one I follow religiously. Most times it's better to give things a bit of time before going on a rant. It sometimes allows you a chance to look at things from a different perspective.
IMHO this game should not have gone to O/T let alone a shootout.
Blame it on whoever you want...coaches,defense, forwards or the goalie...perhaps everyone can share a bit of the blame.
As for the coaching, it's easy to 2nd guess but player selection was at some times questionable.
Our PP once a formidable force is no longer as dominant and our exiting from our own zone has turned in an adventure more often than not. Afraid I'm a bit old Skool ...a bit more off the glass and out rather than the dipsey doodle way it's done now.
The clean loss on the draw was in fact so blatant that no one had a shot at getting near Spinozzi. Even a slight battle on the draw would have given us a chance to block or deflect it.
That being said Culina did not have a good game. If he remains healthy you have to expect DiPietro to play virtually every game possible. That's the direction WR chose to follow. Baier will be available in emergency situations.
According to the Star WR is making every effort to get some US flyer help. Hopefully he will be successful ...the Spits could use some good luck....but I'm not betting the farm on it.
The biggest factor in turning around the Spit fortunes, in my humble opinion , is the return to good health and top form of Logan Brown and to top form of Sergachev. If that does not happen we will still be in the Memorial cup, just not as a favorite...

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Face offs last night - 38 against 21 for - basically 33%. Not going to give you much puck possession. Also curious why Corcoran and McEneny were a healthy scratch and Purdoo and McCool were playing? Purdoo is not an OHL skater, his speed or lack of is really starting to show, yet he appears on the ice at a regular interval, Angle or Corcoran sit or don't play, this one I'm struggling with. Yes he has put the puck in the net but give these other guys that much ice time and they will score as well, and they are both better in our end.
Time for Rocky to right the ship - this team looks dis-functional at the best of times. This is where coaches earn their money, trying to get junior hockey players to buy in and help punch their cards to the big leagues.
Putting all stat-chat aside - this team does play better with Brown in the line-up even if he is not playing his best.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Having Brown draws attention to him. Brown's problem is that he needs to be able to play through that barrage he is going to get as the number one guy. The acquisition of Bracco and Vilardi showing he can dominate at times too will only assist Brown in providing some of the room he needs. Does anyone know why he is out again? Only heard upper body injury, assuming its his wrist.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Face offs last night - 38 against 21 for - basically 33%. Not going to give you much puck possession. Also curious why Corcoran and McEneny were a healthy scratch and Purdoo and McCool were playing? Purdoo is not an OHL skater, his speed or lack of is really starting to show, yet he appears on the ice at a regular interval, Angle or Corcoran sit or don't play, this one I'm struggling with. Yes he has put the puck in the net but give these other guys that much ice time and they will score as well, and they are both better in our end.
Time for Rocky to right the ship - this team looks dis-functional at the best of times. This is where coaches earn their money, trying to get junior hockey players to buy in and help punch their cards to the big leagues.
Putting all stat-chat aside - this team does play better with Brown in the line-up even if he is not playing his best.

here is a article on Rocky from July2015 fromTSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/former-tough-guy-thompson-redefining-himself-as-a-coach-1.328791

I guess what Im saying is that the way Rocky played and saw the game and what is happening on the ice is a bit diff than what I expected.

I was expecting a diff style game to what Boughner did.And in the beginning it was alot diff. but now it seems to be reverting to back to the same style that a change was needed for.

i was expecting a team that was hard on the puck,tough to play against and came to play most nights.And a coach that would take things by the horns and make someone be held accountable.Fisrt time I saw a player held accountable was benching big Stan.And were now in Jan.

Warren has done his thang, now its all in Rocky's court to prove he can coach in this league with success.Like getting out of the 1st rd. to start.

I liked Letowski's Sarnia teams when he was there, they kept coming at you and if this all blows up I hope he gets his chance next.

JMO................:rant::popcorn:

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Having Brown draws attention to him. Brown's problem is that he needs to be able to play through that barrage he is going to get as the number one guy. The acquisition of Bracco and Vilardi showing he can dominate at times too will only assist Brown in providing some of the room he needs. Does anyone know why he is out again? Only heard upper body injury, assuming its his wrist.

The team is much better with Brown. He hasn't been putting the puck in the net, but Addison does when he plays with Brown. Brown missed the last 2 games and Addison disappears. Villardi, however, can play with anybody and be successful.

member 71782

Interesting article on Rychel turning his attention to Keller, Frederic, Pearson and Warren. Trying to add 1 or 2 of them until the Feb 10th deadline and 2 cards left. Says there is a 1 percent chance Fischer comes back. You would have to think he talked to Chayka on Warren and Keller when talking Fischer.

While I'm not betting on any of them being here my preferences would be

1 - Keller
2 - Frederics
3 - Pearsons
4 - Warren

There is no way Fischer returns with well as he's played.

The other 4 are all highly doubtful as well. If Keller were coming he would have been here by now, same with Warren. The other two I have never heard/read anything to suggest they would report.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm not expecting any of those guys to show up, but if one does, cool.

Can someone post that link to Rychel talking about them?

Edit: I found the article. It basically says WR talked to Arizona before the deadline and the Coyotes believe Fischer has a chance at some NHL games soon. The team isn't as deep and Fischer is needed down there. Fischer is long gone, I'd imagine.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Some of those players had good games last night:

Fischer a 3 point game for Tuscon;

Keller scores GWG for Boston U;

Warren scores for U. of Michigan.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
here is a article on Rocky from July2015 fromTSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/former-tough-guy-thompson-redefining-himself-as-a-coach-1.328791

I guess what Im saying is that the way Rocky played and saw the game and what is happening on the ice is a bit diff than what I expected.

I was expecting a diff style game to what Boughner did.And in the beginning it was alot diff. but now it seems to be reverting to back to the same style that a change was needed for.

i was expecting a team that was hard on the puck,tough to play against and came to play most nights.And a coach that would take things by the horns and make someone be held accountable.Fisrt time I saw a player held accountable was benching big Stan.And were now in Jan.

Warren has done his thang, now its all in Rocky's court to prove he can coach in this league with success.Like getting out of the 1st rd. to start.

I liked Letowski's Sarnia teams when he was there, they kept coming at you and if this all blows up I hope he gets his chance next.

JMO................:rant::popcorn:
Interesting article - he says all the right things - I think he has potential - problem is we don't have time for him to learn on the job this year - I still like him but it has to be tough under this much pressure for a city that's looking for a guaranteed win.
I also agree loved the way Trevor coached Sarnia - was hoping for more of that intense hockey here.
Hosting this year has put coaches and players/team under the microscope - just have a gut feeling it is not going to be the end result we expect.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
While I'm not betting on any of them being here my preferences would be

1 - Keller
2 - Frederics
3 - Pearsons
4 - Warren

There is no way Fischer returns with well as he's played.

The other 4 are all highly doubtful as well. If Keller were coming he would have been here by now, same with Warren. The other two I have never heard/read anything to suggest they would report.

I don't expect any of these players to report. But, in reality, what else does WR have to do at this point. This is the only thing that he can do to possibly strengthen the team.

If any of them were going to report, it would have been after World Juniors, after being home for Christmas or when bad Fall Semester grades made them ineligible to play. Once they got back to Campus and practiced and played with their team, they aren't going anywhere.

spitz fan 4ever

May 13, 2012
I don't expect any of these players to report. But, in reality, what else does WR have to do at this point. This is the only thing that he can do to possibly strengthen the team.

If any of them were going to report, it would have been after World Juniors, after being home for Christmas or when bad Fall Semester grades made them ineligible to play. Once they got back to Campus and practiced and played with their team, they aren't going anywhere.

Me thinks fredericks is more about next year, thinking rychel talked to his agent , and was told he would report next year....hoping the same for keller...if this happens, could be good next year as well.....we will see

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
Me thinks fredericks is more about next year, thinking rychel talked to his agent , and was told he would report next year....hoping the same for keller...if this happens, could be good next year as well.....we will see

I'm thinking for Keller, it's either AHL or NHL next year.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
If you took video of McCool playing hockey and photoshopped the puck and other players out, it would look like a lazy dad at weekend recreational skating. Big gliding loops, every once in a while looking around to see if the snack bar is open yet. Am I the only one who hears "yakety sax" every time he's on the ice? :laugh:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If you took video of McCool playing hockey and photoshopped the puck and other players out, it would look like a lazy dad at weekend recreational skating. Big gliding loops, every once in a while looking around to see if the snack bar is open yet. Am I the only one who hears "yakety sax" every time he's on the ice? :laugh:

People can say what they want but the Spits didn't get nearly enough value for Ho-Sang. It's disappointing that McCool still actually is penciled in the lineup game after game because it's a Memorial Cup year and they need those "veterans." You could play Corcoran or pick up a guy from the Vipers to replace McCool and you wouldn't lose much.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Good post as I said above it's because the organization believes in this fallacy that you need to play all the vets because it's a Memorial Cup hosting year. There is no way a knowledgeable hockey person could come the conclusion they're better off playing McCool than someone else.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Excellent game today. Sergachev looked like his old self and hopefully that continues as it helped this team immensely. No real complaints except I really wish Bracco would shoot the puck sometimes, always looking odd.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
People can say what they want but the Spits didn't get nearly enough value for Ho-Sang. It's disappointing that McCool still actually is penciled in the lineup game after game because it's a Memorial Cup year and they need those "veterans." You could play Corcoran or pick up a guy from the Vipers to replace McCool and you wouldn't lose much.

We got three picks out of the deal on top of McCool - 2nds in 16, 17, and 19. What happened to the 16 pick? I know the 17 pick is likely going to the league. Until the 19 pick turns out or not, we can't really say how the trade went. I still firmly believe it was addition by subtraction.

As for the game...

5-1 Windsor final. Sergachev with a pair of bullets from the point. DiGi, Addison, and Luchuk had singles, IIRC.

- One of the more complete games you'll see. Saginaw gave them a run in the first 10-minutes or so, but that's it.

- Brown and Bracco are developing a nice chemistry. You can tell Bracco is getting used to systems; same style everytime he comes into the offensive zone.

- Nobody really played poorly. Some guys didn't show as much but this was a nice team effort.

- DiPietro played very well, even in the late goings when Saginaw had a few great chances.

- I'm surprised Bonello played against us given how well Cormier has done. Haha, I was joking with a buddy that I wonder if Saginaw put Bonello in net just to get back at London. The Knights edged out Saginaw last night so today would be Saginaw going "we'll show you; put our backup in."

- Laisham is starting to grow on me. He's not a guy you notice but he's the type you need. Never stops skating and isn't afraid of much. I'm not expecting 20 goals from him but he reminds me a bit of Cole Carter.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
We got three picks out of the deal on top of McCool - 2nds in 16, 17, and 19. What happened to the 16 pick? I know the 17 pick is likely going to the league. Until the 19 pick turns out or not, we can't really say how the trade went. I still firmly believe it was addition by subtraction.

As for the game...

5-1 Windsor final. Sergachev with a pair of bullets from the point. DiGi, Addison, and Luchuk had singles, IIRC.

- One of the more complete games you'll see. Saginaw gave them a run in the first 10-minutes or so, but that's it.

- Brown and Bracco are developing a nice chemistry. You can tell Bracco is getting used to systems; same style everytime he comes into the offensive zone.

- Nobody really played poorly. Some guys didn't show as much but this was a nice team effort.

- DiPietro played very well, even in the late goings when Saginaw had a few great chances.

- I'm surprised Bonello played against us given how well Cormier has done. Haha, I was joking with a buddy that I wonder if Saginaw put Bonello in net just to get back at London. The Knights edged out Saginaw last night so today would be Saginaw going "we'll show you; put our backup in."

- Laisham is starting to grow on me. He's not a guy you notice but he's the type you need. Never stops skating and isn't afraid of much. I'm not expecting 20 goals from him but he reminds me a bit of Cole Carter.

Actually Niagara's 17 pick was traded to Hamilton as part of the deal to get Laishram. We received our own 2nd round back which will be surrendered to the league.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Spits looked great today IMO. Saw Corcoran skating in warm-ups, wasn't sure if it was established he's a healthy scratch, but that's what it seems like. I'd rather give him the minutes on the 4th line than McCool. Brown looks better out there with Bracco.i agree with Bracco needing to firing the puck. Between today and Thursday what'd he have 3 shots? He hasn't looked like the 2pt/Game player yet but I'm sure he's still adjusting. Laishram is looking great. I've seen more than I expected out of him. Not destroying anybody but he's making his hits, skating hard and seems to have decent puck control.

Spits looked dominant today, here was one of the blow out wins everybody's been looking for all season. Spirit really didn't look that horrible, they just couldn't keep up.

I think after the three games next week, spits will kind of settle into consistent lines and things will be running smoother. Definitely going to be an exciting race with OS jumping in the mix.
LDN/Soo going to OT with SSM picking up the 2 was worst possible situation out of that game today. At least the Rangers did us another favor and beat Erie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad