Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Nope don't think Vilardi nor Brown should be moved at all. Brown with 2 points too but yes 1 was PP, however without that we don't win.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Nope don't think Vilardi nor Brown should be moved at all. Brown with 2 points too but yes 1 was PP, however without that we don't win.

I thought he was very poor tonight. Giveaway on the 1st goal, didn't hustle to try and get back in the play. Probably a contributing factor in the 2nd Saginaw goal, not to mention numerous neutral zone turnovers. He got an assist on the PP and was on the ice 3 on 3. Vilardi was the best player on the ice tonight and it wasn't close he was the driving force, Brown was just a passenger.

Vilardi/Day/Addison 3 best players for the Spits other than that too many passengers against a a mediocre team.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
As long as he's putting up multi-point games, I'm good with Brown. Given it was his first game since Nov 12, the blunders can be excused for this one game. He was rusty and I didn't expect him or Vilardi to do what they did. Take the multi-point games from them, take the two points, and move on to Kitchener tomorrow.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I thought he was very poor tonight. Giveaway on the 1st goal, didn't hustle to try and get back in the play. Probably a contributing factor in the 2nd Saginaw goal, not to mention numerous neutral zone turnovers. He got an assist on the PP and was on the ice 3 on 3. Vilardi was the best player on the ice tonight and it wasn't close he was the driving force, Brown was just a passenger.

Vilardi/Day/Addison 3 best players for the Spits other than that too many passengers against a a mediocre team.
I agree with this but lets give them one or two to get the rust off. Still pretty impressive return for both. The team as a whole did not look inspired until the 3rd. DiPietro looked a little shaky as well.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I agree with this but lets give them one or two to get the rust off. Still pretty impressive return for both. The team as a whole did not look inspired until the 3rd. DiPietro looked a little shaky as well.

Well both teams have to deal with rust. When I see Brown I saw the same type of laziness and if this had to do with rust I am not sure what would explain the first 15 games or so for him this year. I still believe they have been having success in spite of Brown not because of him and that needs to change pronto.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Well both teams have to deal with rust. When I see Brown I saw the same type of laziness and if this had to do with rust I am not sure what would explain the first 15 games or so for him this year. I still believe they have been having success in spite of Brown not because of him and that needs to change pronto.

Were both teams off since November 12? Nope. Vilardi and Brown are the two guys, right now, that could have been excused if they didn't have their true game legs tonight.

BTW, interesting stat - Brown has played in 16 games this year, of which just five he has been pointless. He has seven multipoint games, too. He can use the wrong-handed stick for I care, as long as he puts up the points.

As for inspired play - think they were waiting for tomorrow? It's not an anticipated game or anything :laugh:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Were both teams off since November 12? Nope. Vilardi and Brown are the two guys, right now, that could have been excused if they didn't have their true game legs tonight.

BTW, interesting stat - Brown has played in 16 games this year, of which just five he has been pointless. He has seven multipoint games, too. He can use the wrong-handed stick for I care, as long as he puts up the points.

As for inspired play - think they were waiting for tomorrow? It's not an anticipated game or anything :laugh:

If that stat is correct, being held pointless in 1/3 of your games for a guy with Browns pedigree isnt impressive. Esp in light of the % of PP points vs 5 on 5. Most "stars" in tbis league arent held pointles over 30% of games played.
He does contribute,which is good but he doesnt drive the bus. I think you need a player that can carry the squad up front when push comes to shove, n maybe Vilardi is that guy but hes still young.

But the Spits keep pace n keep on winning. Something to be said for that. Itll be intetesting to see how the top 4 matchup post trade deadline head to head. Itll paint a truer picture I think, then weve seen the 1st half. Things get tougher here on out and players gotta step up or fall behind

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Vilardi looked great right before his injury?/surgery/time off/whatever and looked great tonight. If you gotta move him in the offseason to reacquire picks, go for it, but I wouldn't trade him for anything being a mem cup year.

Personally, I've never been impressed with Brown. 2 points is a good game, but just from watching it seems like he doesn't care. I agree with him looking lazy out there.

From what I saw Vilardi and Addition look great out there together. So at the same time you have to ask, if that third forward was McCool/Purboo-McCool-Corcoran/Corcoran/etc, would they not have got those two points Brown did.

I'm pretty confident with the team and where they are in the standings especially now they've finished that long road trip.

There's not much I'd be willing to give up because I wouldn't want to disturb the team chemistry and even star players in the O have had trouble settling in when switching clubs. I'm not expecting a ton to happen at the deadline.

I wouldn't be upset if they move Culina, Brown, and/or McCool but I wouldn't necessarily be thrilled to see those guys moved. I think the Spits have a solid squad that can pull out a Way against any team in the OHL when they've got their full roster, which they should shortly.

Brown/Addison/Vilardi
Nattinen/Knott/Carter
Boka/Luchuk/Digi

Sounds okay to me! Especially with how much production we've seen out of that "third line" on the road trip.

I'll take another 4-3 OT victory over Saginaw, as they're OT point doesn't effect the spits much.

Anyone know the word on Culina? After hearing he's a healthy scratch, it makes me feel he may be involved in some upcoming trade.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If that stat is correct, being held pointless in 1/3 of your games for a guy with Browns pedigree isnt impressive. Esp in light of the % of PP points vs 5 on 5. Most "stars" in tbis league arent held pointles over 30% of games played.
He does contribute,which is good but he doesnt drive the bus. I think you need a player that can carry the squad up front when push comes to shove, n maybe Vilardi is that guy but hes still young.

But the Spits keep pace n keep on winning. Something to be said for that. Itll be intetesting to see how the top 4 matchup post trade deadline head to head. Itll paint a truer picture I think, then weve seen the 1st half. Things get tougher here on out and players gotta step up or fall behind

Exactly compare that to Taylor Hall his final 2 years in the OHL including playoffs he was held pointless in 24 of 165 games which is pretty remarkable. We can say they are different players but both are/were expected to drive the bus. They need more from Brown which is the point.

They kept pace with the other teams they need to play better overall and it's not about style points it more about letting inferior teams like Saginaw hang around.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Exactly compare that to Taylor Hall his final 2 years in the OHL including playoffs he was held pointless in 24 of 165 games which is pretty remarkable. We can say they are different players but both are/were expected to drive the bus. They need more from Brown which is the point.

Taylor Hall wasn't expected to "drive the bus." He was part of one of the most elite offences the Spitfires, and perhaps the OHL, has seen in years. Guys like Adam Henrique, Greg Nemisz, Dale Mitchell, etc. all contributed to Hall's success. I won't deny that I'd like to see more consistency from Brown but if a player is putting up his points, I can live with a few pointless games.

They kept pace with the other teams they need to play better overall and it's not about style points it more about letting inferior teams like Saginaw hang around.

It's the first game after the break. Yes, it would be ideal to see a 6-1 win or similar against Saginaw. However, Saginaw is a traditionally difficult place to play in and we got the two points. That's fine with me right now.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
One thing I forgot to mention was Stanley - I thought he had one of his better games last night - was solid on D and was a force helping to shut down 5-3 against. Did not look out of place in that role. You can see he is playing with more confidence.
Day played very well but did have a couple of defensive letdowns that led to a couple of goals.
Brown has not played in 6 weeks so I going to give him some rope to get going again. Still think as the season ramps up he will be a player that will shoulder a good portion of the responsibility and will be a force again. Needs to play with a chip on his shoulder and important games will bring that out of him.

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
Taylor Hall wasn't expected to "drive the bus." He was part of one of the most elite offences the Spitfires, and perhaps the OHL, has seen in years. Guys like Adam Henrique, Greg Nemisz, Dale Mitchell, etc. all contributed to Hall's success. I won't deny that I'd like to see more consistency from Brown but if a player is putting up his points, I can live with a few pointless games.

It's the first game after the break. Yes, it would be ideal to see a 6-1 win or similar against Saginaw. However, Saginaw is a traditionally difficult place to play in and we got the two points. That's fine with me right now.

Gotta agree with Rayzor here, he absolutely was expected to "drive the bus", Windsor had some great players those 3 years he was here, but make no mistake he was the biggest offensive weapon for forwards and Ellis was on defense. The key was the rest of the team was so good that they could pick up the slack, when those 2 had bad games.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So is Knott in the line up tonight or not? OHL website says he is eligible to return tonight but as noted earlier doing quick math ( could do it on one hand) he is eligible to return on the 31st. Sorry HL you may have answered this one for me before.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
One thing I forgot to mention was Stanley - I thought he had one of his better games last night - was solid on D and was a force helping to shut down 5-3 against. Did not look out of place in that role. You can see he is playing with more confidence.
Day played very well but did have a couple of defensive letdowns that led to a couple of goals.
Brown has not played in 6 weeks so I going to give him some rope to get going again. Still think as the season ramps up he will be a player that will shoulder a good portion of the responsibility and will be a force again. Needs to play with a chip on his shoulder and important games will bring that out of him.

Stanley was fine. Brown hadn't played in 6 weeks but he was playing and competing in the US WJ camp. That doesn't make up for 6 weeks but he did play a game there in a highly competitive camp with some of the best junior aged players in the USA. Vilardi is the one that could have had an excuse without a single game under his belt for over a month. In fact if you were to look at both of them you could see a huge difference in the way they play the game. As the great Yogi Berra said "it gets late early." I don't think there's a Logan Brown that plays with a chip on his shoulder that doesn't mean he can't be engaged as a player. For example he doesn't protect the puck well for a guy his size, guys shouldn't be able to strip him of the puck. That doesn't mean he can't be a good player he just isn't comfortable being the man and probably never will be.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Stanley was fine. Brown hadn't played in 6 weeks but he was playing and competing in the US WJ camp. That doesn't make up for 6 weeks but he did play a game there in a highly competitive camp with some of the best junior aged players in the USA. Vilardi is the one that could have had an excuse without a single game under his belt for over a month. In fact if you were to look at both of them you could see a huge difference in the way they play the game. As the great Yogi Berra said "it gets late early." I don't think there's a Logan Brown that plays with a chip on his shoulder that doesn't mean he can't be engaged as a player. For example he doesn't protect the puck well for a guy his size, guys shouldn't be able to strip him of the puck. That doesn't mean he can't be a good player he just isn't comfortable being the man and probably never will be.
Brown will likely never be a team captain but there is no reason why he won't be a force out there once he gets his legs back into mid-season form. I know and have suggested earlier we need to wait out on appointing a captain for this team but Vilardi is definitely a candidate.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011

Have to agree with Rayzor here, really good teams put teams like Saginaw away alot earlier and not in OT.

Spits came out flat like they ate too much turkey, will take the win, Vilardi continues to impress he seems to never take the night off very often always competes.

Addison has my vote for the C, OA guy thats a worker out there.

Kudos to the Saginaw broadcast team easy game to watch and nice camera work.Disappointed that we didnt get to see Dom Papa do any interviews as cogeco had to cut away.Guess they couldnt let him be seen back on cogeco even via Saginaw....:laugh:

Ares is right though after the deadline will tell the tale on where we stand to the finish line.A separation of the men from the boys.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Have to agree with Rayzor here, really good teams put teams like Saginaw away alot earlier and not in OT.

Spits came out flat like they ate too much turkey, will take the win, Vilardi continues to impress he seems to never take the night off very often always competes.

Kudos to the Saginaw broadcast team easy game to watch and nice camera work.Disappointed that we didnt get to see Dom Papa do any interviews as cogeco had to cut away.Guess they couldnt let him be seen back on cogeco even via Saginaw....:laugh:

Ares is right though after the deadline will tell the tale on where we stand to the finish line.A separation of the men from the boys.
I watch it on the OHL actionpac so you can see the entire broadcast. Saw the interviews last night and was impressed with Day's interview, he is a nice kid.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit

You do realize that Saginaw has beaten the Otters, Petes, Gens, Bulldogs, Sting and shutout the Hounds in their own arena. Sure it took 2 OT's to finish them but at least we won all our games.

As for the captain, Addison would be a good choice as stated. I would even consider Day as a candidate.

Spits1963

Dec 17, 2014
You do realize that Saginaw has beaten the Otters, Petes, Gens, Bulldogs, Sting and shutout the Hounds in their own arena. Sure it took 2 OT's to finish them but at least we won all our games.

As for the captain, Addison would be a good choice as stated. I would even consider Day as a candidate.

If Sean Day wanted the responsibility that goes with that, I would give it to him
I know he has had issues in the past, and I don't know all the inside scoop... But he has been all he was ever advertised as.
I also do not know the inside as some do here. Would like to hear their opinions.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Gotta agree with Rayzor here, he absolutely was expected to "drive the bus", Windsor had some great players those 3 years he was here, but make no mistake he was the biggest offensive weapon for forwards and Ellis was on defense. The key was the rest of the team was so good that they could pick up the slack, when those 2 had bad games.

Hall was the man in Windsor, but Henrique was right there with him. Would I like to see Brown have more consistency? Yes. Am I upset by his production so far? Not a chance. You give me those numbers in any given year and I'll take them and run.

Brown hadn't played in 6 weeks but he was playing and competing in the US WJ camp. That doesn't make up for 6 weeks but he did play a game there in a highly competitive camp with some of the best junior aged players in the USA.

Playing one game in a camp doesn't shake the rust off after you've been out for that long. If he's still slacking next week, then you can get on his case. But two points after not playing in an OHL game for six weeks isn't bad.

Like SSM did earlier (4-0 Sag), Ptbo (7-4 Sag), Erie (8-3 Sag), or Osh (6-3 Sag)? People are underestimating the Spirit, which seems to happen fairly regularly.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010

I agree about putting some of the competition away convincingly. But had Cormier not stood on his head the score would have been lopsided. The Spits did out shoot the Spirit 48-22, that's with having one less power play on the night then Saginaw.

So the negative spin with this one was that the Spits didn't dominate enough, but a 14-6 first period shot advantage, 15-4 in the third and 6-0 in OT (13-12 in the second while short handed 8 consecutive minutes) Sorta paints a different picture. Hat's off to Cormier he gave his team a chance to win a game they wouldn't have with an average performance.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I agree about putting some of the competition away convincingly. But had Cormier not stood on his head the score would have been lopsided. The Spits did out shoot the Spirit 48-22, that's with having one less power play on the night then Saginaw.

So the negative spin with this one was that the Spits didn't dominate enough, but a 14-6 first period shot advantage, 15-4 in the third and 6-0 in OT (13-12 in the second while short handed 8 consecutive minutes) Sorta paints a different picture. Hat's off to Cormier he gave his team a chance to win a game they wouldn't have with an average performance.

Agreed, solid post,other then a couple of uncharacteristic giveaways thought Windsor dominated especially 5 on 5, shots beared that out at 48-22.
Happy with the play of Addison, Vilardi, Day, Stanley, Digiacinto,Purboo, Chatfield,and Logan Brown despite not playing for almost 6 weeks was fine not great,but could see the chemistry between him with Addison and Vilardi.Vilardi was a beast,26 points in 17 games is a 104 point pace,no doubt he was and has been the most missed guy when out.
Spits now 14-2-4-1 in the last 21 games,with 14 of them on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad